Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Khedira would be a good buy. Khedira/Carrick/Kagawa wouldn't be all that different from Khedira/Alonso/Ozil, really.
Thiago, Fernandinho, Van Ginkel, illarramendi, Paulinho, Gustavo, Capoue have all been deemed unsuitable/unobtainable/not good enough for us this summer, and that's just of the midfielders that have moved so far off the top of my head. If Madrid are trying to flog Khedira as reported and we turn our noses up, surely there comes a point we have to question what the hell the club are doing? We've identified midfield as a big weakness, Moyes has somewhat bluntly admitted it publically, yet we've been unable to identify and obtain a player to improve this area, despite it being an issue for years... This attitude many have to defend the club's ineptness in the market this summer that "there's no point in buying a midfielder unless they're world class and will improve our first 11 hugely" I can't get on board with. There's a severe lack of quality in depth for one and we are genuinely screwed if Carrick gets injured. There must be plenty of good players out there that would have been worth taking a punt on instead of going a 4th straight year not attempting to improve the midfield by actually signing a player.

Forget about signing a new midfielder, let's give buttner a go in midfield, everyone else had their chances there why shouldn't he.

Im still awaiting Rooney-Giggs - Jones combo tearing teams in CL apart.

Think about - was there a worse midfield combo than Park-Rafael?

I had almost forgotten. It's amazing how long Fergie ignored the midfield problem. It just doesn't make any sense.

the infamous Blackburn game @ OT. 2-3 for Steve Kean's side. I hated the fecker. IMO that game cost us the title.

Tough to say also got to consider the Wigan and Everton game which being at the actual title run ins were probably more costly. Either way midfield cost us I guess.

yeah, Everton is a good shout as well. Had Evra scored (instead of hitting the post) we would have won.
We deserved nothing from that Wigan game.

Everton we desperately needed to sub scholes for another midfielder to keep it solid when looked like Everton were getting back in to it, even Jones on when we had two goals advantage would have probs helped. Wigan we didn't deserve anything but should never have been the case.

I don't think we'll ever see another performance like that one against Wigan. For us to play like that against such a mediocre club in the run in to winning the title when City were bearing down on us...it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. In context of everything, it's probably the worst United performance I've ever seen. Maybe not in a footballing sense (though not far off that either), but in terms of us not actually looking like we gave a shit whether or not we won such a hugely important match. That match and the City game were fecking weird and I'll never understand why we played like we did. I can understand nerves but we just looked lifeless and apathetic.

Was that the game where Will Keane blocked a goal bound shot on the line in injury time?

Yep, think it was the game where Gibson, Evans and Rooney were dropped from the squad for going for a meal after a game. I don't think we ever could've done with Gibson as much as we did for that particular game, Rooney probably would've made a difference too.

Considering Pogba was available for that as well and didn't get a sniff, it's gone down in my mind as one of my worst United memories of recent times; losing at home to an awful team with a joke of a manager and probably costing us the league with City winning it for the first time in 30 odd years. It may seem worse in hindsight but it was bad enough at the time.

That Keane block was just the icing on the cake, if he doesn't go on to have a successful career with us at least he'll be able to say he had a big impact on a title race, almost like an anti-Macheda.

Im still awaiting Rooney-Giggs - Jones combo tearing teams in CL apart.

Think about - was there a worse midfield combo than Park-Rafael?

:lol:

Don't forget though, that was down to injuries. We couldn't field anyone else, that was seriously the best we could muster on the day! :smirk: Anyway, at least that was against injury ravaged, winless and bottom of the league Blackburn at OT. Is that any worse than playing the most unsuitable midfield of all time, Cleverley and Scholes up against Fellaini, away at Goodison on the opening day of the season? Truly bizarre, and we were lucky not to get beaten far more severely.

Yep, think it was the game where Gibson, Evans and Rooney were dropped from the squad for going for a meal after a game. I don't think we ever could've done with Gibson as much as we did for that particular game, Rooney probably would've made a difference too.

Considering Pogba was available for that as well and didn't get a sniff, it's gone down in my mind as one of my worst United memories of recent times; losing at home to an awful team with a joke of a manager and probably costing us the league with City winning it for the first time in 30 odd years. It may seem worse in hindsight but it was bad enough at the time.

That Keane block was just the icing on the cake, if he doesn't go on to have a successful career with us at least he'll be able to say he had a big impact on a title race, almost like an anti-Macheda.

Yep but the bigger picture was we did have enough to beat them and Fergie was correct in showing the players who the boss is by dropping those 3. Any coincidence that Gibbo is away and he was looking to ship Rooney also? He's not a man to be crossed lightly. If my memory serves me right was it not Evans we missed more as Carrick played centre back?

Don't forget though, that was down to injuries. We couldn't field anyone else, that was seriously the best we could muster on the day! :smirk: Anyway, at least that was against injury ravaged, winless and bottom of the league Blackburn at OT. Is that any worse than playing the most unsuitable midfield of all time, Cleverley and Scholes up against Fellaini, away at Goodison on the opening day of the season? Truly bizarre, and we were lucky not to get beaten far more severely.

Good post, i know that our resident delusional poster will claim - oh we don't need cm signing because these Blackburn games happen once in a blue moon. The question is - would have Fellaini made a better job than Park-Rafael?

IIRC we have been in need of a midfield additions since 2009. We took a gamble with Hargo, we couldn't foreseen Fletcher illness and Ando's stagnation but the Scholes' retirment was on the horizon.

Most if not all of the best midfielders have either been signed or have decided to stay at their respective clubs...lets hope Fletcher makes a rapid recovery as at this rate he will be our only new midfielder!

I know it was a much less significant game, but the Anderson-Giggs pairing we played in a couple of cup games has to take the 'most unsuitable' title surely?

So how good are witsel and moutinho? Both moved this summer. Surprised we weren't interested given that they seem to be quite highly rated.

I know it was a much less significant game, but the Anderson-Giggs pairing we played in a couple of cup games has to take the 'most unsuitable' title surely?

We did play a Scholes-Giggs midfield pairing on a few occasions, that wins all these pissing contests about who's the most unsuitable.

Didn't Witsel move last summer? He's a quality player, would have loved to have him here.
It's amazing how many highly rated midfielders have moved clubs in the time one of the worlds biggest clubs has desperately needed one, and not gotten any of then.

Exactly.

P.S Why does everyone assume people are referring to the central midfield positions when you mention our midfield? I am included Giggs and Young is that assessment, too.
A legend and an England international.

But honestly, our midfield is dire.

Desperation time eh ? Any club we're talking to is going to make us shell out even more :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.