Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but it doesn't really matter. We spent £24m on him after we already knew that Lucas and Hazard wouldn't come, we're not exactly sure what our plans would have been had either of those two picked us instead of PSG or Chelsea. We'd have likely still gone after van Persie as a marquee signing but there's no way of knowing this for sure.

We probably have the money to spend in this window but won't do it randomly, we need to have our targets identified and properly scouted before we decide to spend the money. Moyes might have not had the time to do it so we could wait another 1-2 seasons before eventually getting a midfielder, I wouldn't be surprised. People have been sure we'd be getting a midfielder for 3 years running and I've been called all sorts of names for thinking that we won't, it wouldn't surprise me if we refused to address the problem once again (even though I actually thought before this Summer that it'd be impossible for another manager not to take note of the scale of the problem).

We were after 3 players. Hazard - winger, Kagawa - attacking midfielder and Van Persie - striker. We clearly wanted to add the strength in these places. It would be not very logical if we would go after striker, just because we failed to sign a winger. Zaha was a true answer to unsuccessful signing of Hazard/Lucas.

I totally agree that time is running out for the new manager, in this window as he just got to know his new team but as Berbatov's example showed, Moyes and Woody can still get something from this summer. Still, it needs to be supported with actions, especially in midfield department.

Seems like theres a bit of dissemination going on concerning not buying any players. Rio and G Nev mentioning it in the last day or two.

Probably because that's slowly becoming one of the more realistic scenarios.

Sir Alex many times said, he's happy with what he already got but 19 days is still a reasonable time to make a bid/bids in no bigger hurry.

*clears throat*
KGcG9wv.jpg

Messi has pulled out "injured" from international duty.

It's well and truly ON!!!

Yeah but they still put themselves behind waiting on DM to take over.

:lol: DM looks like a man that must be 100% of the player before he make an official interest and spend moneys.

Nothing bad, being careful in his first days but he already stated that, we're short in midfield... Not a bad start.

:lol: DM looks like a man that must be 100% of the player before he make an official interest and spend moneys.

Nothing bad, being careful in his first days but he already stated that, we're short in midfield... Not a bad start.

He did that, lest we forget. So, while he says he's happy with the squad I doubt he's 100% content with his CM options.

Of course, it could be that the way he intends to line up will make the shortage less obvious: The more of a 4-3-3 (of sorts) he opts for, the more plausible our present options become: One might argue that all of Cleverley, Anderson and Giggs (if we include him as a CM, which I guess we should as he was used as such by Fergie) are better suited for such a system.

But we still have but one really, undeniably top shelf central midfielder. And he is the only one who is a proper defensive midfielder at that. It would baffle me considerably if Moyes doesn't realize how dangerously weak we look if you remove Carrick from the equation. Fergie must have realized this too - but he gambled and won. I wouldn't recommend keeping on gambling, though. It's in the nature of the thing that you'll end up losing sooner or later.

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter. We spent £24m on him after we already knew that Lucas and Hazard wouldn't come, we're not exactly sure what our plans would have been had either of those two picked us instead of PSG or Chelsea. We'd have likely still gone after van Persie as a marquee signing but there's no way of knowing this for sure.

We probably have the money to spend in this window but won't do it randomly, we need to have our targets identified and properly scouted before we decide to spend the money. Moyes might have not had the time to do it so we could wait another 1-2 seasons before eventually getting a midfielder, I wouldn't be surprised. People have been sure we'd be getting a midfielder for 3 years running and I've been called all sorts of names for thinking that we won't, it wouldn't surprise me if we refused to address the problem once again (even though I actually thought before this Summer that it'd be impossible for another manager not to take note of the scale of the problem).

Moyes didn't scout midfielders at Everton and none of the scouts from the old regime are left or left reports on players?

Khedira wouldn't be percect and I'm not even sure he'd be a better option than Cleverley long term (he's far better at the minute though) but he'd still be fine just to make up the numbers. If we can't get genuine quality and that seems to be the case with the lack of available options then we should be going for the second tier like Khedira, Fellaini etc.

Doubt it, he's really disappeared over the years, now plying his trade at Dinamo Kiev who aren't even in the Champions League.

Khedira wouldn't be percect and I'm not even sure he'd be a better option than Cleverley long term (he's far better at the minute though) but he'd still be fine just to make up the numbers. If we can't get genuine quality and that seems to be the case with the lack of available options then we should be going for the second tier like Khedira, Fellaini etc.

Nonsense. Totally different players, impossible to compare.

Not really. RvP is totally different to Cleverley too, I can safely say RvP is better. Khedira is definitely better than Cleverley atm.

One is a supposed defensive midfielder who runs a lot, the other is a supposed creative midfielder who runs a lot and can pass a ball. They're both midfielders who look better while paired with someone better defensively though so can be compared for their potential use for the team.

Not really. RvP is totally different to Cleverley too, I can safely say RvP is better. Khedira is definitely better than Cleverley atm.

Obviously he is in certain aspects but its not like were suddenly going to use Cleverley as a defensive midfielder. In terms of Cleverleys actually position hes a superior player than him. Put Khedira in a more advanced role and expect the guile and touch of a more instinctive role and we'd quickly see who's better.

I say this as a fan of Khedira btw.

Obviously he is in certain aspects but its not like were suddenly going to use Cleverley as a defensive midfielder. In terms of Cleverleys actually position hes a superior player than him. Put Khedira in a more advanced role and expect the guile and touch of a more instinctive role and we'd quickly see who's better.

I say this as a fan of Khedira btw.

You're obviously right as regards different roles, etc. Khedira would not be an upgrade on Cleverley in certain areas. But would he be an upgrade in general? I'd say clearly so. He is currently the better player, i.e. he is a better DM/CM than Cleverley is an AM/CM. Put it like this: If I wanted to do something about what has been called - aptly enough - our "porous" central midfield, Khedira would come in very handy. Much handier than Cleverley.

If Moyes like fergie was looking for a midfielder who can play as part of a two running up and down, a box to box player there are not many.

Khedira would be a good buy. Khedira/Carrick/Kagawa wouldn't be all that different from Khedira/Alonso/Ozil, really.

This squad is crying out for a one on one ball winning midfielder. I don't know how anyone could ignore it.

Fellani. I wanted him to be signed for ages and thought Moyes would bring him no question. Surprised it hasn't

Fellaini was good today. Possibly poor for the first goal but he was a bit wrong footed due to the ball bobbling all over the shop and it broke for Whittaker nicely.

If Carrick got injured then we would be in a bit of situation, also on today's performance Cleverly looked poor especially his passing so it is vital we get a DM and possibly someone like a Fabregas/Modric.

I'd personally prefer one (or two) that could dominate possession better.

He went for a large fee and will be on high wages, so I shouldn't think so. That's the trouble with moving to Russia.
Wasn't sure if he was with the Russian outfit that are having a fire sale cheers mate!

Wasn't sure if he was with the Russian outfit that are having a fire sale cheers mate!

Nope, he plays for Zenit (as does Hulk) and it's Anzhi that are having the clear out. It's a shame because he's a cracking player and if he was at Benfica he'd be the perfect player to be looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.