Where will United finish this season?

Where will United finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me one of our biggest issues has been midfield. We haven’t improved that yet and only bringing in Ugarte for it won’t fix it.
Our wingers need to vastly improve on and off the ball and do their defensive work to tuck in and protect midfield as with combinations of Bruno, McT, Casemiro it’s going to be left wide open and vulnerable.
Hopefully having defenders who can step up it should help but our midfield is weak as hell and it’ll cost us.

So for me again struggle for top 4, probably 5th-6th.
Ugarte alone won't entirely fix the midfield but it would definitely improve it. I voted 4th based on at least 1 midfield signing still coming in. If we don't strengthen the midfield then we'll struggle to get there for sure.

Squad looks strong(er) and hoping for the players to now play how Ten Hag wants and it working as one would hope. We should manage injuries this season and a few players to improve on last season. Ugarte or some other midfieldr joining, we should expect minimum 4th.

I can not recall a single season where guessing the top 10 has been harder. I am quite convinced that City and Arsenal will be 1 and 2 - Liverpool will be anywhere from 3-5 but after that......it's tough.

I don't think we are consistent enough to be top-4 without a few of the other clubs having an average season. We can end 4th - we can end 9th ... but most realistically somewhere 5-6

Last year we were 8th points behind Villa in 4th - and we are on paper much stronger this season. First of all - I don't believe we will experience an injury-crisis this big - and second our first-team looks a lot stronger

I think a better season than last year, probably not difficult. Onana is settled and hopefully will not cost as many points as last year. Defensively better although we will be exposed by injuries to the fullbacks. I think we concede around 50 goals in the PL, hoping for less than that. Goal scoring wise we haven't really added anything. Scott McTominay scored around 8 which is probably going. Maybe Zirkzee will replace it but I am sceptical. Still I think the team is capable of 60 goals. I think that will be good for 6th place, but hoping for 5th.

Don't understand where all the optimism is coming from.
Me too. I have gone 7th with the assumption that Erik is in charge all season.
Always hoping to be proved wrong but the injuries are still hanging around and even ETH is moaning about pre season.

I think a better season than last year, probably not difficult. Onana is settled and hopefully will not cost as many points as last year. Defensively better although we will be exposed by injuries to the fullbacks. I think we concede around 50 goals in the PL, hoping for less than that. Goal scoring wise we haven't really added anything. Scott McTominay scored around 8 which is probably going. Maybe Zirkzee will replace it but I am sceptical. Still I think the team is capable of 60 goals. I think that will be good for 6th place, but hoping for 5th.
5th or 6th would be a shocking season in all honesty.

We’ll finish top 3 if we sign a midfielder and if we can go relatively injury free all season. First part is very possible, the second.. almost impossible. But you never know.

The squad has improved from last season but goals are still a question mark. You would hope Garnacho, Hojlund, and Amad will go up another gear, Rashford simply cannot have another season like last season. The squad isn’t perfect but it’s good, I think we will exceed expectations this season. Just not if we have to line up with Jonny Evans and Casemiro in a back four.

Defininitely think we'll play better than last year, even if only because we're unlikely to be as hit by injuries.

The problem is that our league finish last season actually flattered us based on our underlying stats. And also (imo) based on simply watching us, where the sheer amount of chances we conceded was obviously worse than typical for an 8th place team. So we could perform a lot better and still not actually move up the league table that much.

The bookies' odds seem to have us around 6th favourites for top four, and that seems more or less correct. But right now it seems like quite narrow margins between the various top four competitors. Especially with new managers at Liverpool and Chelsea making them less predictable.

Top 4 would be reasonable. A better squad than last season, but it all depends on the amount of injuries and if we manage to get a good/great DM in before the window closes.

We’ll finish top 3 if we sign a midfielder and if we can go relatively injury free all season. First part is very possible, the second.. almost impossible. But you never know.

The squad has improved from last season but goals are still a question mark. You would hope Garnacho, Hojlund, and Amad will go up another gear, Rashford simply cannot have another season like last season. The squad isn’t perfect but it’s good, I think we will exceed expectations this season. Just not if we have to line up with Jonny Evans and Casemiro in a back four.

While fewer injuries and signing a midfielder are necessary components of a successful season for United, they won't be anywhere near sufficient to catapult us into a top 4 finish, if they occur absent an enormous tactical shift from Ten Hag. We'd be lucky to replicate our 8th place finish, even with fewer injuries and some nice new players, if Ten Hag's tactical approach this season remains the same as last. Thankfully, there were signs in the Community Shield that we will see a significant shift in our approach.

I think we'll finish 3rd or 4th. I've only just taken in other clubs business and we've done a hell of a lot more than our rivals.

I can not recall a single season where guessing the top 10 has been harder. I am quite convinced that City and Arsenal will be 1 and 2 - Liverpool will be anywhere from 3-5 but after that......it's tough.

I don't think we are consistent enough to be top-4 without a few of the other clubs having an average season. We can end 4th - we can end 9th ... but most realistically somewhere 5-6

Last year we were 8th points behind Villa in 4th - and we are on paper much stronger this season. First of all - I don't believe we will experience an injury-crisis this big - and second our first-team looks a lot stronger
I was thinking the same things. I could easily see anyone of Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, Chelsea and Liverpool really disappointing or being quite impressive this season.

Then you might have teams like Brighton, Fulham or West Ham surprising a few.

While fewer injuries and signing a midfielder are necessary components of a successful season for United, they won't be anywhere near sufficient to catapult us into a top 4 finish, if they occur absent an enormous tactical shift from Ten Hag. We'd be lucky to replicate our 8th place finish, even with fewer injuries and some nice new players, if Ten Hag's tactical approach this season remains the same as last. Thankfully, there were signs in the Community Shield that we will see a significant shift in our approach.

I think last season was an anomaly where absolutely everything went wrong. Ten Hag will prove some doubters wrong this season. INEOS also seem to have lifted some of the gloom around the club, there’s optimism about our direction and I think that’ll directly impact our performances on the field.

I'm surprised by how many, especially non-Utd fans, think we'll finish outside the top 4. 6th-8th seems to be what most of the media/fans of other clubs are predicting. Considering we have an entirely new defence and have strengthened the squad, I don't really understand the thinking here. Genuinely don't think any of our contenders aside from West Ham if you want to count them have done much to improve their teams at all.

Liverpool have bought literally no one and lost one of their greatest ever managers. Bear in mind this is a club that finished 5th in the same season we finished 3rd just 2 seasons ago).

Villa have lost their 2nd best player from last season in Luiz as well as an excellent rotation player in Diaby, while their squad will be stretched by CL football. They brought in Onana who is good but imo still a downgrade on Luiz.

Spurs had a horrible end to last season and the only player they've bought who'll get considerable minutes is probably Solanke, who, while good, isn't some world class striker by any means.

Chelsea have hired a manager with a completely different philosophy to Poch, who had actually got Chelsea to play good football and get results by the end of the season. Everything suggests most of the players were very sad to see Poch go. Going from a fast, direct side to a slow, possession-based side under a manager with no real pedigree in Maresca seems like a recipe for disaster to me. On top of this, they have lost or are losing Thiago Silva, Chalobah and Gallagher who were all among their better performers last season. Of their 15 signings this season, the only ones who will likely see any mins this season are Dewsbury-Hall, who imo isn't good enough for a CL team, and Pedro Neto who is extremely injury prone. Not that it means that much, but their pre-season performances have also been horrendous.

Maybe Newcastle could be a threat, especially with Tonalli coming back. They did manage to keep Bruno which is massive for them. Trippier is still there for now. That being said, on paper at least I think Utd have a far better squad, especially with Botman missing the start of the season (and who knows how he'll recover from such a serious injury).

Yes, City and Arsenal are obviously still comfortably better than us, but they're also comfortably better than every other club in the league. I'll be surprised and very disappointed if we don't get top 4 after the signings we've made and, if we do miss top 4, ETH should be sacked imo.

I chose 6th because we have not improved our midfield. If we buy two midfielders, good DM and a possession midfielder, that can contribute day one, than I would choose 3rd. Midfield should have been the priority.

Maybe Collyer could be the possession midfielder but that's a big ask. We know Casemiro can't cut it.

Anywhere between 5th and 8th. We don't have a functional central midfield and we don't have enough firepower for anything more ambitious than that.

Anywhere between 5th and 8th. We don't have a functional central midfield and we don't have enough firepower for anything more ambitious than that.
Agree with this, if our defence clicks with all our new additions I think we'll finish 5th.

City and Arsenal are better than yous

Odds are at least two from Liverpool, Villa, Newcastle, Tottenham, Chelsea, and SuprisePackage will be better as well

So fifth place

It wasn't just the Community Shield. It's been obvious since the first match of preseason that we had gone back to a more normal set-up instead of the suicidal tactics of last season.

That's not to say we're playing particularly well or dominating or anything (or will in future matches), but at least we're not going to be getting ripped apart by literal Championship level teams all season like we were the last one.

I'm surprised by how many, especially non-Utd fans, think we'll finish outside the top 4. 6th-8th seems to be what most of the media/fans of other clubs are predicting. Considering we have an entirely new defence and have strengthened the squad, I don't really understand the thinking here. Genuinely don't think any of our contenders aside from West Ham if you want to count them have done much to improve their teams at all.

Liverpool have bought literally no one and lost one of their greatest ever managers. Bear in mind this is a club that finished 5th in the same season we finished 3rd just 2 seasons ago).

Villa have lost their 2nd best player from last season in Luiz as well as an excellent rotation player in Diaby, while their squad will be stretched by CL football. They brought in Onana who is good but imo still a downgrade on Luiz.

Spurs had a horrible end to last season and the only player they've bought who'll get considerable minutes is probably Solanke, who, while good, isn't some world class striker by any means.

Chelsea have hired a manager with a completely different philosophy to Poch, who had actually got Chelsea to play good football and get results by the end of the season. Everything suggests most of the players were very sad to see Poch go. Going from a fast, direct side to a slow, possession-based side under a manager with no real pedigree in Maresca seems like a recipe for disaster to me. On top of this, they have lost or are losing Thiago Silva, Chalobah and Gallagher who were all among their better performers last season. Of their 15 signings this season, the only ones who will likely see any mins this season are Dewsbury-Hall, who imo isn't good enough for a CL team, and Pedro Neto who is extremely injury prone. Not that it means that much, but their pre-season performances have also been horrendous.

Maybe Newcastle could be a threat, especially with Tonalli coming back. They did manage to keep Bruno which is massive for them. Trippier is still there for now. That being said, on paper at least I think Utd have a far better squad, especially with Botman missing the start of the season (and who knows how he'll recover from such a serious injury).

Yes, City and Arsenal are obviously still comfortably better than us, but they're also comfortably better than every other club in the league. I'll be surprised and very disappointed if we don't get top 4 after the signings we've made and, if we do miss top 4, ETH should be sacked imo.
Good post. However there are a few things that worries me coming into the new season such as how quickly our 'entirely new defence' takes to bond with each other and how quickly De light and Mazaroui adapt to the Premier league. Not signing a Central midfielder is another one, Casemiro played well in the CS but he hasn't got the legs to go all season playing like that and I can't think anyone else suitable along side Mainoo. And the biggest one is I still think we lack goals, hopefully Zirkzee can hit the ground running.

As it stands fighting for 4th/5th
With Ugarte - comfortable 4th
With a LB or Shaw actually fit - Fighting for 3rd
With a Suprise Toney signing and/or Rashford finding his 30 goal form and we find goalscoring form from everyone else and we are lucky with injuries etc - fighting for 2nd but might miss out by a few points

Good post. However there are a few things that worries me coming into the new season such as how quickly our 'entirely new defence' takes to bond with each other and how quickly De light and Mazaroui adapt to the Premier league. Not signing a Central midfielder is another one, Casemiro played well in the CS but he hasn't got the legs to go all season playing like that and I can't think anyone else suitable along side Mainoo. And the biggest one is I still think we lack goals, hopefully Zirkzee can hit the ground running.
If we don't sign a new midfielder I'd agree with you, but I'd be quite surprised if we don't get Ugarte tbh. I'd be flabbergasted if we didn't get any midfielder since we are clearly trying to sign at least one (Ugarte being our preference).

Goals from strikers could be an issue but I think we'll see a big increase in output from Garnacho this season. I'm not expecting anything major in terms of goals from Zirkzee. Bruno has also been working quite well as a false 9, allowing us to use Mount behind him when Hojlund isn't fit/in poor form. Between Garnacho, Rashford, Amad, Bruno, Hojlund and Zirkzee we're capable of getting the goals we need imo.

If we don't sign a new midfielder I'd agree with you, but I'd be quite surprised if we don't get Ugarte tbh. I'd be flabbergasted if we didn't get any midfielder since we are clearly trying to sign at least one (Ugarte being our preference).

Goals from strikers could be an issue but I think we'll see a big increase in output from Garnacho this season. I'm not expecting anything major in terms of goals from Zirkzee. Bruno has also been working quite well as a false 9, allowing us to use Mount behind him when Hojlund isn't fit/in poor form. Between Garnacho, Rashford, Amad, Bruno, Hojlund and Zirkzee we're capable of getting the goals we need imo.
I'd be more than happy with Ugarte, think he would slot in quite well. If we fail to land him then it would be interesting to see who we end up with. It's such a key signing to get the balance of the team right.

Garnacho is the one who fills me with most confidence attacking wise. Fingers crossed Rashford can start firing again. I agree we are in a stronger position than last year and I'd expect us to finish in or might close to the top 4.

So who feels that they were a bit too optimistic before the poll closed? I went for #3, but I'm thinking 5th and that's if we sign Ugarte, otherwise I would worry.

Even if we struggle this season (not as much as last) I still feel quite good about the transfers this summer and the effort made to shift players. I think the new hierarchy have really started to get to work. I don't agree with giving Bruno that new contract at all, but other than that I think they've done a pretty sound job.

Would imagine that at the start of next season we'd have trimmed the squad down to players who are all suitable for the desired style of play and if we still have very high earners not performing (Rashford, Sancho, Casemiro) I would expect the club really trying to move them on even if that requires paying part of their wages, in order to create a healthy dressing room, where things are based on merit.

Teams dont drop into the Europa League this season from the Champions League. Looking at these teams, we should be winning that.

Somewhere between 4th and 8th, depending on how many goals can Rashford score.
0-5
6-10
11-15
16-20

If he can score closed to 30 then perhaps even a closed 2nd is possible, but don't push your luck.

Until the window closes next week and we know if Ugarte and/or another CM come in, it’s hard to predict; but on the first couple of outings, I can’t see us making top 4, with the current squad.
Utd are still desperately weak and short of depth in CM, lack firepower up front and don’t create enough clear cut opportunities on goal.

So after the Brighton match today, I’d say we’ll finish between 5th to 8th.
After the transfer window shuts, I’m hoping to be more optimistic.
I won’t hold my breath.

Too inconsistent for top4. So 6th or 7th I reckon. We have to focus on winning EL. It's our best route for CL.

Our slow predictable football will secure us 5th-8th position. If we are lucky maybe a FA Cup again.

We have too many slow passing around Onana and defenders even though we are chasing game.

Very difficult to see any better than the 8th I predicted with so little goal threat.

If ETH lasts the season then I can see us finishing 7th or 8th.

If Ugarte comes, fourth or fifth. I don't see us overhauling City, Pool or Arsenal no matter what.

If no Ugarte, sixth to eighth (and ETH sacked in December).

If Ugarte comes, fourth or fifth. I don't see us overhauling City, Pool or Arsenal no matter what.

If no Ugarte, sixth to eighth (and ETH sacked in December).

Never seen Ugarte play,

but, I don't think any one player will upgrade us massively.
something 'just doesn't work' :\

We are going to need a weak season from Spurs/Newcastle/Villa to finish ahead of them all.
Not impossible, surely.

But I guess we would display a crap-football-top-4-finish, should we achieve one.

Last edited:
Unless he drops Rashford and Mount we won't be getting top 4.

The concern is there are a lot of teams better than us right now. The 7 teams who finished above us last season didn't do so by fluke and 2 games in, I'm not sure we've improved so unless something changes it could be another 8th place.

Early days and I'm trying not to be all doom and gloom after our first loss of the season but there was a depressing inevitability about Brightons goal today. Once again we went from a position of being 2-1 up, then having the goal chalked off, and wind up losing. It was Arsenal away all over again.

Never seen Ugarte play,

but, I don't think any one player will upgrade us massively.
something 'just doesn't work' :\

We've signed some decent players though. The one thing stopping us fielding a strong 11 is Casemiro and McT being bad defensive midfield options. Fix that and it will click I think.