Where will United finish this season?

Where will United finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Only time in every season I’ll go with 1st only time of the season everyone is allowed to dream.

Leicester won the league. Every outlet having us outside the top 6.

I think we'll look like a different team playing an actual high line with aggressive, front foot defenders rather than seeing Lindelof and Evans run back to the penalty spot at the first sign of trouble all season. Our midfield has looked more compact and sensible as well.

Some of the attacking interplay we've seen in bursts in the friendlies and Community Shield is very, very promising as well. I think we can be best of the rest after City and Arsenal if things click.

Totally agree. I'd go one step further and say if we get in a good CM that can either interchange with Casemiro or replace him and if we can get our forward line scoring more goals....we might challenge for a portion of the season before settling back into 3rd.

We are potentially going from a squad 1 injury away from catastrophe, to one of the more deeper squads in the league and it will be a slog this season as I think a lot of players around the league may be on fumes after a long season + euros/copa so we might be best placed to manage that. If! we can have a pretty normal injury rate.

I also think Garnacho, Mainoo and Amad look ready to step up a level.

I have gone 4th.

Last season was poor but the fact everything went about as badly as it could RE : bad luck, injuries and refereeing decisions, and we still missed out on top four by "only" 8pts shows its actually not that difficult to achieve.

Arsenal and City will finish top two but I'm not convinced by either Spurs, Newcastle or Chelsea. Liverpool have lost Klopp. Villa will have the Champions League as a distraction.

The key is CB. Last season we had Evans start 23 games and feature in many more. No offence to a player who has had a great career but at his age / current ability he'd probably struggle in the Championship, never mind starting week in, week out for a team with top four ambitions. Even just replacing his games at CB and Casemiro's with Martinez / De Ligt / Yoro / Maguire should be worth the 8 points!

I have gone 4th.

Last season was poor but the fact everything went about as badly as it could RE : bad luck, injuries and refereeing decisions, and we still missed out on top four by "only" 8pts shows its actually not that difficult to achieve.

Arsenal and City will finish top two but I'm not convinced by either Spurs, Newcastle or Chelsea. Liverpool have lost Klopp. Villa will have the Champions League as a distraction.

The key is CB. Last season we had Evans start 23 games and feature in many more. No offence to a player who has had a great career but at his age / current ability he'd probably struggle in the Championship, never mind starting week in, week out for a team with top four ambitions. Even just replacing his games at CB and Casemiro's with Martinez / De Ligt / Yoro / Maguire should be worth the 8 points!
I think we will comfortably finish above Villa and Newcastle.

It's very close between us and Liverpool. Chelsea are still a mystery. They could win the double or sack their manager at Christmas and do something crazy like appoint John Terry as his replacement.

I'd also say Arsenal and city won't be as consistent as they have been and won't run away from most of the chasing pack early on.

Spurs are well Spurs and could finish anywhere between 4th and 10th.

Yes, still think 6th is realistic. I do feel a little, just a little more optimistic, but not much because ETH doesn't provide that kind of message. Does he seem happy with things, really? Just watch and listen to him. I don't even know how hopeful he is. I think he needs too many things to be 'right' and that's unrealistic, with a long, at times, attritional season, four competitions.. and he has v v little slippage or room for mistakes. INEOS are watching and didn't even give him a new contract, this is just an extension on existing terms.

So it's all a little messy. We need some champions..the youngsters provided that last season and Bruno improved after Christmas. But I am not sure we can (or should) rely on them again.

It will be a tough league. If this is Pep's last season, the players, fans and club will be in overdrive; Arsenal must, must fancy their chances to win the Prem again; I think Villa, Newcastle and Spurs will be more resilient and seem, seem more settled. Liveroool new manager hasn't bought anyone in, which is interesting.

Will be a good, exciting season.. just not sure whether we can sustain any challenge for the real top, top places in the league.

I've been very optimistic and said 4th. However, that's on the basis we sort out the midfield issue and don't concede a million cutback chances. Oh, and of course have significantly less injuries over the course of the season which seems like the most unlikely of those right now!

But yeah, if we have have a somewhat consistent back four (at least both CB's and one FB staying fit), a good CDM, and the likes of Rashford, Bruno, Hojlund etc get close to the numbers that are very possible for them, we shouldn't be far off the Champion's League places. We also need much more from the likes of Antony, Sancho, and Mount if they're all here/playing a good amount of minutes. Amad & Garnacho, along with Zirkzee will need to be guys hitting double digits too most likely if we want to get in the top 4 and potentially win another trophy.

This kind of thinking always seems like not too much to ask, but without doing much research I'd generally guess it is. I don't think you often see all of a sides main 5-6 attackers getting 10+ goals. At least one of them usually has a bit of a stinker of a season and another doesn't quite reach the level of expectation. But I suppose most of the time you also get one who exceeds and the rest par for the course as well...

Looking at the squad and assuming improvements in management and injuries it's 3rd or 4th for me. If we finish below that it'll be a failure in management.

People keep making out as if we need a top class team to finish 4th but we've done it countless times with worse squads. You can lose 10 to 13 games and still get top four.

I don't see us finishing ahead of City, Arsenal or Liverpool, which only leaves one automatic CL spot, which I'd fancy Villa for.
I'd like to believe that if De Ligt can thrive, Mainoo, Garnacho & Hojlund continue to improve, and Rashford captures some form, and we sign a quality MF, then we can be ahead of Chelsea, Spurs & Newcastle to finish 5th.

I would be delighted to be finishing 5th, winning the Europa and playing some quality football.

PS - I fancy West Ham for an excellent season.

4-6.

I believe Liverpool, Arsenal and City all have stability and continuity which we lack.

City also have a superior squad. Arsenal and Liverpool with the better stating 11. Will be interesting to see how deep they are come next spring.

Unless we bring in a midfielder or two then best case scenario, given the squad we have currently, is fifth.

INEOS have more work to do.

Anywhere between 3rd and 5th. It really hinges on if you get a new CM for me.

Get Ugarte and I think we finish top 4 quite comfortably. Chelsea aren’t a threat. Liverpool won’t be as they still haven’t signed anyone and the season starts in 3 days. We’d be fuming if our owners hadn’t bought anyone yet. Spurs are spurs and won’t do anything special.

Unless we bring in a midfielder or two then best case scenario, given the squad we have currently, is fifth.

INEOS have more work to do.
Wouldn’t say that’s the best case scenario. Mate we finished 3rd 2 years ago with a weaker squad than we’ve got now. We’re finishing 3rd/4th.

We have no proper LB (again) and haven’t strengthened CM (again). Think it will be another disappointing season. Was so chuffed with the charity shield performance and the De Ligt signing but Shaw’s latest injury has deflated me. 7th.

We'll be in with a fighting chance for Top 4 by Feb next year! Fingers crossed!

Champions League 2025-26, here we come!

We have no proper LB (again) and haven’t strengthened CM (again). Think it will be another disappointing season. Was so chuffed with the charity shield performance and the De Ligt signing but Shaw’s latest injury has deflated me. 7th.
We may still sign one. Fecking Luke Shaw will probably also manage to play around 5.2 games and if Dalot and Mazraoui stay fit we may be ok, esp considering that while Harry Amas won't become our starting LB, he may get quite a few games, helping in smaller games, at least. Ideally I hope we can bring somebody on free or loan, however. In some ways, Luke being injured again highlights the importance of an LB signing and they may do something about it, unless we are bankrupt

If INEOS manage to sign Ugarte and an LB in the remaining time, I will personally rate incoming transfers this Summer at 10/10

6th

Ten Hag is a big weakness in the PL. No idea why INEOS thought it wise to buy more of his former players.

Think we will have spells of looking like a competent team but familiar issues will reoccur.

Yoro to be a success. De ligt nothing special. Zirkzee a few promising games.

Amad and Garnacho decent seasons. Rashford yet more frustration. Onana errors from time to time will be costly. Mount unconvincing.

Ten Hag to be fired at some stage before the start of 2025/26 season.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t say that’s the best case scenario. Mate we finished 3rd 2 years ago with a weaker squad than we’ve got now. We’re finishing 3rd/4th.

Our central midfield options are pretty abject, Mainoo aside. A couple of midfielders would give me more confidence.

If we bring in Ugarte on a loan + option to buy for 50m euro
If we can avoid long injuries on key players like Onana, De Ligt, Martinez, Kobbie, Ugarte and Höjlund/Zirkzee
If Arsenal (who I believe is the second strongest team in England at the moment behind city) dont have the luck, they had last season, to avoid ANY injury on their key players (Saliba, Gabriel, Rice, Ödegaard, Saka)

Then i truly believe that;

------------------------------------------------Onana
---------Dalot/Mazza - De Ligt/Yoro - Martinez/De Ligt - Mazza/Shaw
-----------------------------------------Ugarte/Casemiro
------------------------ ----Bruno/Mount - Kobbie/New CM
-----------Amad/Garnacho - Höjlund/Zirkzee - Garnacho/Rashford

is a great starting eleven and are capable of fighting for the second or at least third place this year already IF the youngsters take another step in the right direction (Yoro, Kobbie, Amad, Garnacho, Höjlund, Zirkzee).

All of our new players could take a place in the starting eleven directly (Yoro is injured and so young so we should not put to much pressure on him now that we have De Ligt also). I also see Amad and Mount as "new players" because this is the first season Amad is really a player that is fighting for a spot and Mounts first season was destroyed because of injuries and he has showed in preseason that he has great potential and that he is a perfect player for the type of style ETH wants to play.

We need to sell AT LEAST Lindelöf (10m euro), McTominey (30m) and Hannibal (10m) which could be enough to buy a new CM to compete with Kobbie. If we somehow could sell Eriksen, Casemiro, Antony and Sancho then we should also bring in a player that can play LCB/LB and deep playing CM (De Jong type, Zubamendi would be the perfect fit together with Ugarte but he is staying in Spain, while there are reports that Barcelona wants to get rid of FDJ huge wager and would accept a price around 50m euros - I would take him if he would be prepared to cut his wager to max 300k/week.

If we pulled all this off, I truly believe we could be fighting for the title with a lot of luck, no long injuries on the key players like mentioned and with the troop above, we need to rotate a lot more then the last 2 seasons so that we always have fresh legs starting the game and that would also prevent injuries.

I dont believe that we will sell any of Eriksen, Antony, Casemiro or Sancho (maybe a loan with obligation to buy to PSG, but probably not even that). I think we will bring in Ugarte on a loan with obligation to buy next summer and if we can sell all three of Lindelöf, McTominey and Hannibal, then we might bring in Fofana from Monaco or a player like Chillwell to cover up for Shaw (Amass is a amazing talent but not ready to play 35-40 games this season).

Our central midfield options are pretty abject, Mainoo aside. A couple of midfielders would give me more confidence.
Agreed there. Even just Ugarte. He’d improve us massively. Him and Mainoo can both get about as there at a decent age.