Where will United finish this season?

Where will United finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very easy to give a kneejerk reaction, but even before the season started I thought Ten Hag would be sacked around December.

Really hope it all starts working, but I'm not sure he even sees December now.

It’s kind of crazy that in the third full season under a manager having spent so much money we are probably underdogs for top 4 again. Just can’t see us finishing above 6th. It might stun people but 8th last season was us outperforming our underlying numbers

I won't vote until transfer window is finished and we play another few games in September. But it also depends on competition and how they perform.
It’s kind of crazy that in the third full season under a manager having spent so much money we are probably underdogs for top 4 again. Just can’t see us finishing above 6th. It might stun people but 8th last season was us outperforming our underlying numbers
That was most worrying fact, not the 8th place finish alone. You can play well and finish lower because of various factors but finishing 8th while having stats that suggest you should be like 12-13th is terrible. Wonder how it will go this season. With no injuries it should be better but won't be surprised if we still struggle.

I said 6th and that is probably a bit optimistic, especially if we don’t strengthen in midfield. The reality is we just aren’t very good and that applies to the players and the manager.

Sadly it’s a few years to sort this mess out and I’d be surprised if ETH makes it to the end of the season.

This is why I can't see us finishing much higher than 8th (if 8th at all). Other than Leicester, PL teams just don't go from performing like a 13th place team one season to top 4 the next (especially without changing manager or significant first XI upgrades).

I'll give us 4th if we sign 2 midfielders and a left back.

Anything less than that, between 5th-8th.

When will we be able to swarm a blanket over the opposition and strangle the life out of them? You watch City and Arsenal play and they are able to sustain attack after attack. They largely play their matches in the opposition's half. I'm waiting for us to be able to do the same because without it, we won't be getting anywhere.

When will we be able to swarm a blanket over the opposition and strangle the life out of them? You watch City and Arsenal play and they are able to sustain attack after attack. They largely play their matches in the opposition's half. I'm waiting for us to be able to do the same because without it, we won't be getting anywhere.
Probably when Bruno, Casemiro and Rashford leave and replaced by players who can keep the ball consistently. And when Ten Hag stops telling the players we need to score within 3 seconds of us winning the ball back.

Before the season i said 7-8th. After 2 matches i say the same. Without at least two top class signings (a striker capable of at least 20 goals and a top midfielder) United won't reach the top 4. And of course there's ten Hag... But the signing of Zirkzee was totally dumb and unnecessary. Ten Hag should be fired. Not just because he is totally clueless, but because of his signings too. Fellow dutch players, ex-Ajax players whatever. Most of them are (were) totally useless.

If we still play the same way like last season (and looks like we still esp with Casemiro in MF alone) then i think we looking at between 4th to 8th. We might sneaked 4th if most of players are healthy and around 6th to 8th if injuries will be like last season.

6 or 7th I think. It will take time to fully benefit from the structure change and I expect us to undergo a manager change during the season.
I stand by this, if the manager change happens still this year, maybe we can get to 4th-5th. The squad is good enough

Arsenal, City and Pool are better than us. I cannot see us finishing ahead of Spurs, Villa and Chelsea either, but maybe one of them. So 6-8th.

Easy top 4, voted 3rd. People knee-jerking on here after only two games is peak Caf though.

This season could get very sticky, very quickly. Most people on this forum believe we can’t get better than 4th, and I believe even this would be quite a task. We have not improved under ten Hag except for his first season where everyone is giving there all. Last season was not very good league wise but the season was saved by us beating City in the cup final. However, there were lots of danger signs with players eg. Rashford and Sancho getting in the bad books and I don’t think this was dealt with in the correct way. Was EtH showing his authority? I don’t know. But Sancho came back this season and there is obvious bad blood between him and EtH. This wouldn’t happen under Fergie, he would be gone now. I believe this act of trying to rebuild a bridge between the two has created a bad atmosphere among the squad. I absolutely believe the manager and possibly Sancho will be gone by Christmas if not earlier. The players we signed have not proven they are up to scratch yet and quite a few are on the injured list. Hopefully we will improve when the injured return but I still don’t think we will fair better than tenth even if Ugarte arrives this week, there will be plenty of weight on his shoulders. I think our squad is strong enough for as good a season as last but some players need to get bodies and minds into shape before it is too late.

This season could get very sticky, very quickly. Most people on this forum believe we can’t get better than 4th, and I believe even this would be quite a task. We have not improved under ten Hag except for his first season where everyone is giving there all. Last season was not very good league wise but the season was saved by us beating City in the cup final. However, there were lots of danger signs with players eg. Rashford and Sancho getting in the bad books and I don’t think this was dealt with in the correct way. Was EtH showing his authority? I don’t know. But Sancho came back this season and there is obvious bad blood between him and EtH. This wouldn’t happen under Fergie, he would be gone now. I believe this act of trying to rebuild a bridge between the two has created a bad atmosphere among the squad. I absolutely believe the manager and possibly Sancho will be gone by Christmas if not earlier. The players we signed have not proven they are up to scratch yet and quite a few are on the injured list. Hopefully we will improve when the injured return but I still don’t think we will fair better than tenth even if Ugarte arrives this week, there will be plenty of weight on his shoulders. I think our squad is strong enough for as good a season as last but some players need to get bodies and minds into shape before it is too late.
Funnily enough that poll suggests otherwise. It appears it’s quite even in terms of the people who think we’ll finish above third and those who think we’ll finish below fourth.
I am slowly learning that we have one of the most delusional fanbases out there. I thought it was maybe just folk on here but the United YouTubers and even some of my United supporting mates have some completely unfounded optimism about how good this team is and where they’ll finish. Most United fans on here according to that pool think United will finish 3rd or 4th which is staggering to be honest.

I honestly thought that with a good window, even under EtH we couldn't get any worse at least and would probably show a slight improvement to 6th or so.

After the first two games, seeing Rashford bizarrely back in the first 11, the weird substitutions, the fact that even a fresh squad at the start of a season with multiple new faces can't seem to gather up the fight to take on Brighton, I would amend my guess to probably between 8th and 10th this season.

I think we'll persist with EtH for a few months until we're such a laughing stock that he literally has to go. Then we'll have a situation where we have an interim as it's not the right time to get someone permanent. That interim guy (Ruud) will get the bounce for a few games and we'll look decent but it won't last once the slightest bit of adversity comes our way.

In the summer we'll start the clearout once again...

The trouble is ETH blames the players for lack of game management when all along it’s his fault and it’s staring every one in the face especially opposing managers and players yet Hag won’t take responsibility for it.
Can’t see us finishing higher than 6th and I think that will be a great achievement but it may well be that we finish this season with a different manager, but who will want the job?

Anything below CL qualification is a huge failure in my eyes

Not sure. We finished 8th last season, but that was a massive overachievement relative to the standard of our actual performances, which by most metrics place us comfortably in the bottom half of the table. It was a catastrophically bad season, almost without precedent for a club of our financial resources. It is possible that we significantly improve this year (which would be a relative success), but still finish 6th/7th/8th.

If our new signings get up to speed, play to their abilities consistently then they can be the game changers. Quite literally the difference between 8th and top 4 IMO.

If our new signings get up to speed, play to their abilities consistently then they can be the game changers. Quite literally the difference between 8th and top 4 IMO.

I feel we don't have enough firepower up front for top 4 sadly. Our forward options don't fill me with any confidence.

Not sure. We finished 8th last season, but that was a massive overachievement relative to the standard of our actual performances, which by most metrics place us comfortably in the bottom half of the table. It was a catastrophically bad season, almost without precedent for a club of our financial resources. It is possible that we significantly improve this year (which would be a relative success), but still finish 6th/7th/8th.

This is a good point. Although I guess it would be a less excruciating season to watch. More goals, better goal difference, more convincing wins etc

Minimum expectation is a CL finish via league or EL.

But I'm expecting 6th and knocked out of EL in Semifinal.

We should finish between 3 and 4. We invested have a much better squad than last season and it will be very difficult to be so unlucky with the injuries again.

I don't see us finishing any higher than 5th. It really depends on how good Spurs and Chelsea are this season - if they turn up, we're in trouble. If I was to guess, I'd say 6th place again with Ten Hag getting sacked.

No way around it from the managers perspective at least

Big part of his grace other than the cup win was the injuries. With them back and the signings challenging for top 4 should be a formality

If it’s another injury hit season (early signs leaning that way) it can’t be considered a fluke season any more but surely a coaching issue.

Don’t think there’s any way to look at anything below 4th as even remotely successful

Voted 6th. Think that’s fair. Squad quality should get top 4, think tactics and management will let us down.

I'm still not that convinced by most of the other top half teams.

Arsenal and city are still well clear of everyone else but its all up for grabs outside of that. Even the scousers are something of an unknown this year.

At an absolute minimum, we should finish ahead of, at least two of Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs.

Voted 6th. Think that’s fair. Squad quality should get top 4, think tactics and management will let us down.
Agree with this assessment. There's a couple of teams in the top 4 mix with comparable squads but that's where the coach should make the difference in eeking out that little bit extra. Ours has been a hindrance for at least a year now.

I think I said 6th for this originally and I would stick with that while we have EtH at the helm. I suspect that we'll see some weird combinations of players throughout the season with the likes of Garnacho, Amad and Ugarte regularly on the bench in favour of Case, Rashford and Antony or Mount. Don't think he knows what he's doing at all.

Very good window, I think the manager will restrict how far the team actually progresses so 5-6th on that basis.

I believe the team in terms of quality is capable of finishing in the top four. I think the best squads are as listed: City, Arsenal, Chelsea and United / Liverpool similar level.

I think Villa and Tottenham are somewhat similar decent squads but have managers that are squeezing more out of their respective players.