Where will United finish this season?

Where will United finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think 3rd is a good shout. We look sharper and we’ve made some decent and much needed improvements with the transfers. I think we’ll be a lot more solid at the back but I’m worried we still don’t have enough going forward. Need our attackers to click and start being clinical.

6th

Better teams, with fewer improvements to make, will fight it out for top 8. Top 3 likely to be City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Hard to say how well Villa, Spurs, Newcastle and of course Chelsea will do.

6th.

I still believe that we'll struggle to score and the numbers will be around the same as the last couple of seasons. We're sure to look better in defence and our midfield is reliant on what happens in the last few weeks of the window.

We still need that killer up front amd while RH could be that, it'll take him time and good training to get there. In the meantime, we're going to struggle.

I went 1st, because why not. Tis the season to be wildly optimistic. Ask me again Saturday morning

I think a comfortable top 5 season and maybe a trophy. If we get in Ugarte then I'd say 3rd and a trophy.

To the suprise of no-one, I'll go with 6th.

I do think we've made some decent signings and I'm particularly excited to see Zirkzee as I think he can be a really good player.

I don't trust Ten Hag after seeing his performance last season along with weird deluded ranting etc., and I think that we have a poor squad outside the first 11 with only two decent wingers and one quality midfielder in the squad. I think there are at least 5 teams better than us under Ten Hag.

Still a big few weeks ahead that will probably decide everything. de Ligt is such a relief, but a proper midfielder and (being greedy) another attacking option would make us so strong.

Still dreaming that Antony and Sancho will find some sort of arrangement and leave and we might pull of a Ugarte/Toney end to the window.

If we do, 3rd and a trophy should be attainable.

Poll results would currently resemble a perfectly shaped normal distribution centered at 4th were it not for the weird mass at 1st.

I think City and Arsenal are clear and we’re in a 6 team battle with Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle. I think we can finish above at least 3 of those teams so gone for 5th and hopefully sneak into the CL through the back door.

I’m optimistic that we’ll be an improved side this year. As well as the new additions I think we have 7 or 8 players who surely can’t be as bad or contribute as little as they did last season. The nervousness would be around our glaring weakness in midfield, our injury record in defence and the lack of goals.

I don’t think we’ll see the big drop in Liverpool that we might have hoped for.

I think Villa will surprise a few people and manage to maintain the level of last season despite the added pressure of CL.

Chelsea I think will be back to being a basket case and I could see them finishing below the likes of West Ham.

Tottenham and Newcastle I’m on the fence with.

Think the manager gets sacked early, given he's on such thin ice. Hard to predict what happens after that but 7th feels as likely as any other.

Wouldn't be shocked if we start well and then go on to top four but feels odds against to me.

I’m going with 6th for now, think we are lacking goals and our midfield is still a problem.

If we can bring in a good CDM, I’d say 3/4.

I voted 1st

I think it’s all gonna come together with De Ligt in and more squad strength.

We’re gonna play hung ho high energy every game while also having the defensive solidarity to keep it tight at the back.

Ah the ability to once again be optimistic about Utd is beautiful

Right now, I’d say 4th but could easily change my mind and go for 7th. That midfield still gives me the shivers. Plus our injury situation is not great as a few injuries to key players and it’s a carbon copy of last season. Just hope we have some better luck on that front this season.

Anything from 4th or upwards then it’s a very good season.

I think we'll look like a different team playing an actual high line with aggressive, front foot defenders rather than seeing Lindelof and Evans run back to the penalty spot at the first sign of trouble all season. Our midfield has looked more compact and sensible as well.

Some of the attacking interplay we've seen in bursts in the friendlies and Community Shield is very, very promising as well. I think we can be best of the rest after City and Arsenal if things click.

I think 4th, if we sign another midfielder then maybe 3rd. Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Spurs, Villa all have better squads right now. But I’m assuming Garnacho, Anad, Holjund to make a step up and our defense will be better too. Also Onana won’t be as bad as last year.

If we can get 1 or 2 players in to strengthen the midfield we should be able to beat the likes of Chelsea, Villa and Spurs. I don't see us challenging City or Arsenal and even though they haven't strengthened yet I think Liverpool is still ahead as well.

We win the league.

Its depend if we are comfortably dispatching teams in the lower half of the table, because we can raise our game to beat the likes of City, Arsenal and pool, but we struggle against Everton, Brentford, Brighton and Palace type teams. This is the improvement I want to see.

We have to absolutely finish in the top 4, anything short of it should not be acceptable. The manager has been backed well again, so there can’t be excuses.

Went with 3rd, since City will be relegated.

Should be in a battle for 3rd, anything outside top 4 would be a failure imo

Very surprised so many are that optimistic, although I guess couple that with the complete 180 on many's views on ETH after a single cup final and I shouldn't be surprised that so many are just chalking up last season to injury issues.

Personally think our only shot of top 4 is an exceptional injury record, particularly in midfield. We don't have a single alternative to Mainoo or Casemiro currently, and at best will just sign a single player for one or the other at this point. Mount being fit doesn't really move the needle at all considering ETH and Bruno are both happy to have Bruno play 60 games a year, so at best Mount will mainly be an impact sub. McTominay is pointless apart from as a gadget last resort goal threat, Eriksen can't break into more than a trot. I guess we hope Collyer grows up enough to deputize that DM role well enough for now?

Think more Amad and Zirkzee will help the attack for sure, but Rashford is an absolute coinflip if he's any good these days and Garnacho is better on the right at this point so if Rashford is crap it'll be tough.

I went with 6th and think ETH gets the boot. I'd be surprised if he actually alters tactics to fit the side and if we go out and play suicidal transition ball we'll rack up muscle injuries and aren't deep enough to cope. Best case scenario is Amad and Garnacho take the leap and we have an exciting attack that bails out the midfield enough to scrape 4th. Think Liverpool/City/Arsenal are locks and Spurs/Villa have both had excellent summers.

I've gone with 6th, but I'm an 'Everything that can go wrong will go wrong' kind of fellow.

Opta have crunched the numbers and run 10,000 full season simulations through their AI. It has been decided, United will finish 6th:

1. Manchester City
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea
5. Newcastle
6. Manchester United
7. Tottenham
8. Aston Villa
9. Crystal Palace
10. West Ham
11. Brighton
12. Fulham
13. Everton
14. Brentford
15. Bournemouth
16. Wolves
17. Nottingham Forest
18. Leicester City
19. Ipswich
20. Southampton

https://theanalyst.com/2024/08/premier-league-predictions-2024-25-opta-supercomputer/

Very surprised so many are that optimistic, although I guess couple that with the complete 180 on many's views on ETH after a single cup final and I shouldn't be surprised that so many are just chalking up last season to injury issues.

Personally think our only shot of top 4 is an exceptional injury record, particularly in midfield. We don't have a single alternative to Mainoo or Casemiro currently, and at best will just sign a single player for one or the other at this point. Mount being fit doesn't really move the needle at all considering ETH and Bruno are both happy to have Bruno play 60 games a year, so at best Mount will mainly be an impact sub. McTominay is pointless apart from as a gadget last resort goal threat, Eriksen can't break into more than a trot. I guess we hope Collyer grows up enough to deputize that DM role well enough for now?

Think more Amad and Zirkzee will help the attack for sure, but Rashford is an absolute coinflip if he's any good these days and Garnacho is better on the right at this point so if Rashford is crap it'll be tough.

I went with 6th and think ETH gets the boot. I'd be surprised if he actually alters tactics to fit the side and if we go out and play suicidal transition ball we'll rack up muscle injuries and aren't deep enough to cope. Best case scenario is Amad and Garnacho take the leap and we have an exciting attack that bails out the midfield enough to scrape 4th. Think Liverpool/City/Arsenal are locks and Spurs/Villa have both had excellent summers.
Feels like if we are struggling badly midway ETH will get canned. Ruud gets interim and see what happens from there.

City and Arsenal are close to locked for top 2.

I think anywhere between 3rd and 8th is plausible. The competition is fierce these days with the traditional top 6 + Newcastle and Villa now added to the mix. It's not easy to finish top 4 any more.

There's still a lot that can derail our season.
1. If we don't sign midfielders or we sign the wrong ones.
2. We have 4 full backs but 3 are injury prone, and currently 2 are already out.
3. We're currently 1 injury away to Martinez/De Ligt from having to start Maguire or Evans at centre back for a prolonged period.
4. Evidently, we're starting the season with no striker since one is injured and he doesn't want to give minutes to the other one he bought.
5. The new European format means extra games, and Ten Hag refused to rotate in his first season and almost killed the players by the end of the season.

I'll feel better if we get a midfielder signed this week but I don't think 1 is enough, 2 midfielders should have been the minimum target at the start of the window.

Last edited:
3rd or 4th IMO. Went with 3rd.

Our squad is way better than most people think and easily top 4 quality. If the tactics will work, I think it will be a quite comfortable top 4 finish.

After the end of last season I wrote a post on a similar thread to this one saying that we'll finish 6th. I voted for that again. Although, I must say, transfer window went better than I expected. I assume we're bringing a DM as well(Ugarte or whoever).

There are only two teams who are definitely better than us, I believe(City and Arsenal). Liverpool is probably better, as well. Which means that our ceiling is 3rd place. I believe that we have a better squad than remaining teams in the PL(on paper), but I don't trust Ten Hag at all at this point.

Can't say until window's closed. If we improve in midfield as well and avoid injuries, could be top 4 finish again like in 22/23. If not then no idea, even top 6 isn't a given these days with Newcastle, Villa and other teams around.

I hope ETH learns his lessons in his first 2 season. I really expect the team to match City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Our season is determined if he can beat Bournemouth, Wolves, Fulham and other. How we do against mid table table teams will decide where we finish this season.