Where will United finish this season?

Where will United finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've gone for 4th, but could have easily gone 5th whilst I see it as much less likely we'll get 3rd.

The optimist in me sees the strides we're making to improve the squad and 1st 11, whilst a lot of clubs around us have stood still, and thinks we'll close a big chunk of the gap from last season.

Liverpool surely get worse with no Klopp, City haven't done much, Arsenal have only signed a CB. Spurs is just Solanke really, Villa I've no idea (their success isn't really due to outstanding player quality anyway) Newcastle seem to signing mainly for PSR reasons.

I think 6th, can’t see where the goals are going to come from,, dissapointed we haven’t signed a forward who could hold the ball up for us, don’t think Zirkzee is that sought of player, maybe we should have gone for Tony? God I miss Sparky.

Hopefully 4th. I can’t see us suddenly getting rid of the big issues we had last season but the added quality/depth in the squad should help us in the league.

Expecting us to be very good in the cup competitions though.

Going with 6th.

No chance of catching City or Arsenal.

Liverpool under new management and Salah/van Dijk another year older? Could drop off but that's a big gap to make up. Probably won't catch them.

Villa have CL to cope with, think we can target them. Brought some players in but also sold Diaby and Luiz. They were no better than us in the second half of last season anyway. Not a very good pre-season either.

Solanke looks like a great buy for Spurs, might be enough to keep them ahead of us again. Close! Like us they had quite a few injuries last season.

Chelsea, who knows? Finshed well last season and if they kept Pochettino I'd have thought they'd be slightly more likely to finish ahead of us than not. Mind you, their improved form might have just been a young squad maturing together and that could continue. Maresca a big unknown.

Newcastle haven't done anything of note over the summer. No Europe for them which helps, Tonali will be back too and who knows if Isak stays fit? Lethal if he does. We're closely matched and have been for the past couple of seasons now.

People talking West Ham up due to their business but I'd like to think we can stay ahead of them and the rest.

Going to say we finish behind last season's top 3 + Spurs, ahead of Villa and one of Chelsea or Newcastle but it could easily be both (5th) or neither (7th).

Last edited:
3rd behind Arsenal and City.

Liverpool without Klopp (and with Salah being a year older) would be a downgrade
Chelsea will be the same Chelsea

I'll wait til the end of the transfer window to see who we get in midfield because right now the lack of depth there is a massive problem (also at lb but I don't see that being solved this summer, most likely Licha and Dalot/Mazraoui will fill in there). I think City and Arsenal are absolutely miles ahead of the rest of the league. Could see several teams including ourselves getting 3rd.

We'll fall somewhere between 3rd-8th depending on signings. Right now, if I was to guess, I think we'd get top 4. The only improvement to the first XI is Yoro imo, but the squad depth has improved massively with De Ligt, Mazraoui and Zirkzee.

Could be anywhere from 3rd to 8th. Arsenal and City are clearly better.

Depends on:
1. What we do in the remainder of the window
2. Whether Ten Hag learnt anything from last year or not.

Voting 5th, but I want to be clear: I'm very happy about the direction of the club at the moment.
I think we're going to need some time for the young talent and new players to gel, I also think we're a fair bit goals and quality in midfield away from being capable of challenging.

All for giving them time, seeing as they are actually going for quality young players.

This year will be between city and Arsenal. They had the least amount of changes to their already successful structure. Liverpool is likely to continue with a good form from Kloop's time but I do see that form start to drop and reality of change setting in 2nd half of the season. They are likely to finish 3rd.

United will improve from last season and I see us finishing in 4th place.

I’ve gone with 3rd as I’m feeling optimistic. The injuries can’t be as bad and the system has to be better than last year so we don’t have teams waltzing through our midfield every game. We look a little short on goals, but if Rashford finds form and Garnacho can add more goals to his game then we should bridge that a bit.

I don’t think many of the teams who finished above us were much better to start with or added a huge amount more quality.

If we can add 1 or 2 more players, especially in the middle of the pitch then I see no real reason we can’t have a good season.

Europa is key for us but I don't want us doing a Jose 16/17 and just focusing on that, have a go in the league and aim to be in the mix.

4th to 8th is going to be a fun battle, I think we finish 5th Sadly but hopefully we take the EL and the league win extra spot for CL just incase we don't.

I’ve gone 4th.

The optimist in me thinks we’ll be much much better this year.

I just think Mainoo, Gernacho and Hojilund will step up after the experience of last year. Our defence will be a million times better which will breed attacking confidence. We will get more out of Mount and we have another striker in Zirkzee.
Hopefully Onana will be better with a new back 4.
Then I’d expect Diallo to break through too.

My concerns are Rashford, Anthony, Casimeiro and that’s why I’ve said 4th.

6th as long as we're stuck with Casemiro and Eriksen anywhere close to starting XI. If we get another decent DM then we can do 4th. This squad is decent apart from DM.

I'll go 4th....but most important thing this season is the EL. We should be winning it and have our entry to CL through it.

I’ve gone 4th.

The optimist in me thinks we’ll be much much better this year.

I just think Mainoo, Gernacho and Hojilund will step up after the experience of last year. Our defence will be a million times better which will breed attacking confidence. We will get more out of Mount and we have another striker in Zirkee.

My concerns on aiming higher are Rashford, Casimeiro, Anthony and Sancho.

I've gone with 6th. I imagine it'll be a poor start, change of management around November/December time and then trying to salvage what we can from the season. Maybe if the next guy knows what he's doing we can push a bit higher.

I’ve gone with 4th.

Arsenal and City are clearly above us still.

If we get a DM then I could see us getting third.

Yoro and De Ligt are great signings. As long as we stay injury free then we can get fourth - our first 11 is better then last year, but squad is still not great.

I don't think we've improved the starting XI enough over last season to expect much different.

I think 6th. I don’t think ETH sets up drastically different from last season and we still end up playing stupidly open.

I don't think we've improved the starting XI enough over last season to expect much different.
Imo, I don't think our first choice starting XI was really the reason why we finished 8th rather than say 3rd/4th last season.

The main problems last year was that we were constantly 2 injuries away from playing Evans and Casemiro at centre back and Lindelof at left back. That had a negative impact on on the whole team. We now have more cover at left back and at centre back, now have options to avoid square pegs in round holes again.

In the midfield, we now have Mainoo who's playing with a year experience behind him (including an international tournament). There was still a level of uncertainty around him last summer, especially after he got injured.

Up front, Hojlund was just settling in and we regularly had injuries meaning the likes of Rashford were constant being moved about.

We also now have Amad who looks like he's gone up a level, Zirkhee who has essentially replaced Martial (who never played), a fully (hopefully) recharged Rashford and a more confident Hojlund who won't have to play week in week out when he returns. Then Garnacho who looks like he can start dominating games a lot more compared to twelve months ago.

If we can sign decent cover for Casemiro before the window closes, I think the squad is in a much better state and allows for the likes of Casemiro, Fernandes, Martinez, Garnacho to be rested/rotated when the situation allows meaning less chance of an injury and more chance they'll be playing at 100% more often.

If we can return to the top 4/5, I think next summer is the one where we go for a couple of world class players and we'll have the advantage of more squad players being shifted from the wage bill and being more settled off the pitch.

My inner optimist says 3rd. City115 will still be top dog and I reckon Arteta's boys peak now before his methods grate on their patience.

Go ahead and show us your prediction then so we can see what you’ve been smoking
6th. We don't have a recognisable striker. We will be weaker than we are today come the start of the season (players like Sancho, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, McTomminay expected to leave which means we're thinner on backup), we still have the likes of Antony starting, we still have a goal keeper with wrists made of popadom, no fit left back, 4 new players who are also new to the league and haven't had a preseason needing to integrate and play well from the off, we're in massive trouble if just a couple of players get injured, and there's a good chance the manager gets sacked in the middle of this season.

Some of this is subject to change seeing as the window is still open but I don't think our business this summer will address everything I mentioned.

6th. We don't have a recognisable striker. We will be weaker than we are today come the start of the season (players like Sancho, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, McTomminay expected to leave which means we're thinner on backup), we still have the likes of Antony starting, we still have a goal keeper with wrists made of popadom, no fit left back, 4 new players who are also new to the league and haven't had a preseason needing to integrate and play well from the off, we're in massive trouble if just a couple of players get injured, and there's a good chance the manager gets sacked in the middle of this season.

Some of this is subject to change seeing as the window is still open but I don't think our business this summer will address everything I mentioned.
All fair enough actually. Hopefully this all looks way off in 2025 but not a lot I can disagree with now. I really struggle to see where the goals are coming from and Højlund is starting to worry me that he’s going to be injury prone

And yes unfortunately it’s difficult to see a scenario where there isn’t a managerial change during the season. I think there’s more to that Nistelrooy appointment than meets the eye too. 6 months working with the players and he’ll be the ideal caretaker manager to maintain continuity while also lifting the mood

Strange thing to say after the weekend, he's about 4th choice for his own position.

Well that's certainly one way of looking at it!
I don't think that losing those players will make us weaker.

If you're talking purely bodies in the squad we're bringing in someone to replace AWB. We won't we getting rid McT without bringing in a proper DM either. I can't actually see Maguire going anywhere, unfortunately. If anyone goes it'll be Lindelof and De Ligt should be done today so that's an upgrade. As for Sancho he's no loss at all as he's never contributed a thing. LB I'll give you, as we're a bit light.

As for Antony, his chances will be limited as he doesn't offer a lot. I can't see him starting a huge amount of games.

All fair enough actually. Hopefully this all looks way off in 2025 but not a lot I can disagree with now. I really struggle to see where the goals are coming from and Højlund is starting to worry me that he’s going to be injury prone

And yes unfortunately it’s difficult to see a scenario where there isn’t a managerial change during the season. I think there’s more to that Nistelrooy appointment than meets the eye too. 6 months working with the players and he’ll be the ideal caretaker manager to maintain continuity while also lifting the mood
I'm hoping last season was a perfect storm of shitness that will never be repeated but I have reservations. You're right though, the goals are a big concern, I think we'll score more than last season but not loads more. Agree with the Ruud comment also, I think his appointment makes things a lot more difficult for Ten Hag and I don't think he realises it. If we're in the mud around Christmas, there will be Ruud chants and that is going to undermine the managers position for sure.

We'll see, maybe it all 'clicks' this year and we look like an organised team with a midfield. All down to the manager I guess!

I think we'll finish 3rd, which will either be due to a steady return to some sort of form under ten hag, or a disastrous start and a new manager like tuchel giving a lift. Its a hard season to predict for us, i think the league is hard to predict with liverpools new manager, chelseas too and the case hanging over city.