What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Only a DM and we would be sorted for this window.

For the next, a LB for sure, along with a DLP or no. 8 and maybe a CF on the cheap or toney on a free.

If we speak in ideal terms, McTominay will go for £25-30m at least, Lindelof will move on as well. Think Ugarte/Sancho swap will be for even money, or we may even have to pay for a small net amount instead of the other way around. Getting another CM and LB cover may just be loans or free agent. I think this is as much Ineos could have done in their first window.

Would you take Rabiot on a free?

Quite happy with how this window has gone so far. If we can get a proper combative CDM (Ugarte), a B2B CM on loan/free transfer (Rabiot?) and get rid of extra players (McT, Eriksen, Lindelof, Sancho), it'll be a perfect window.

Hope we get to see more of Amass, Colleyer and Chido in the cup games.

By January we'll be able to evaluate if we need more backups or send players out on loan (Wheatley/Chido).

Our signings have been better than before. What we need is to sell more players.

The technically limited ones - Scott, Maguire, Lindelof, Antony. AwB is gone, there's no place for players like these in a club that wants to play CL football.

The overpaid ones - Sancho, Rash, Case (selling these 3 saves us 1m/week)

The ones TH doesn't seem to know how to use - Mount, Eriksen.

For the next, a LB for sure, along with a DLP or no. 8 and maybe a CF on the cheap or toney on a free.
Yep defensive midfielder and then I’d be happy with that for this summer (maybe with a cover left back on loan if the right player was there). Get a few out we can do without regardless (Lindelof, Hannibal, Pellistri, Sancho, McTominay/Eriksen) and then re-assess in Jan.

I'd like to see us overhaul our wide options next window by adding two new players there. Keep Amad and Garnacho, but sell Antony, Sancho, Rashford and Pellistri.

With all the usual caveats of not knowing the injury situation or the real contract limitations on moving people on

OUT seems to be

Linderlof

Hannibal

Maybe McT with Napoli reported to be interested

Maybe Sancho as the PSG links are back and Sancho moving in a complex deal with Ugarte coming back across seems to offer the PSR wangling scope the top teams seem to be looking for

Maybe Pellestri pushes to move for first team action as he’s a Uruguay starter and maybe not keen on being so far down the list at Utd

Maybe Casemiro but my sense is he stays another season

IN

Ugarte

As Shaw is now injured , Malacia still out for a while and there must be unease about how he will be when he is fit , Dalot can play LB but better as RB, Mazroui talked about as cover for LB but read some reports that it’s the position he has played least - I would think a stop gap LB is likely

Then it’s a question of adding squad depth - be surprised if they do add another striker and would think another DM or AM would be more likely Amrabat and/or Rabiot

We have bought two centreforwards in the last 12months, for over 100M combined. They are not going anywhere soon, so I dont expect any more CFs coming in, this season or next.

Seems to me most people here wanted a different profile to Zirkzee, and are willing to discard him or Hojlund. Probably just a case of wanting a shiny new toy.

I'd like to see us overhaul our wide options next window by adding two new players there. Keep Amad and Garnacho, but sell Antony, Sancho, Rashford and Pellistri.

This season I expect just another midfielder(Ugarte) to come in, and McT to go out. Also sell Lindelof, Pellistri, Mejbri and Sancho.

Next season we need :

- Left back(preferably can play CB too)
- DM(to replace Casemiro)
- CM(to replace Eriksen)
- FW(to replace Antony)

This season I expect just another midfielder(Ugarte) to come in, and McT to go out. Also sell Lindelof, Pellistri, Mejbri and Sancho.

Next season we need :

- Left back(preferably can play CB too)
- DM(to replace Casemiro)
- CM(to replace Eriksen)
- FW(to replace Antony)
I'd add another centre back to replace Maguire (contract expiring) and another wide forward to replace Rashford. Though Rashford might prove difficult to sell.

I would expect a midfielder to join, and I think a swap between Sancho and Ugarte late in the window is most likely - everyone is a winner with that (insert caveat of how swap deals rarely ever happen).

We do need to shift a few out. Lindelof and McT being most likely. If Casemiro were to leave too then we’d need another body, which could be Rabiot on a free of keeping hold of McT.

Amrabat still an outside chance of another loan or small fee.

We can then tackle the LB situation in Jan or next summer.

Without a mobile DM we are knackered. Casemiro looked leaner and fared well in the community shield but he can’t play every game now.

I expect business to be done in this position, if not two additions depending on sales.

I'd add another centre back to replace Maguire (contract expiring) and another wide forward to replace Rashford. Though Rashford might prove difficult to sell.
Rashford is not going anywhere I think, for better or worse.

We need to replace Maguire next season with the LB/CB hybrid, that's what I meant.

So something like :

Mazraoui , Dalot
De Ligt , Yoro
Martinez, CB/LB hybrid player
Shaw, Amass

So that player will essentially be backup/competition for both Martinez and Shaw.

This season is going to be huge in determining our short-term timeline.

For me the following questions need to be answered:

1. Is Onana good enough, we have seen flashes of good and bad moments.
2. Will Martinez prove his freak injuries are behind him,
3. The left back situation. Whether its Shaw, Mazraoui or Amass, but we need a solution.
4. What type of player will Mainoo start to mold into? Is he capable of sharing the defensive responsibilities with a DM.
5. Will Garnacho or Holjund have breakthrough seasons. I think we are going to rely on at least one of these young fellas to become 25 goal/season players. Can they take a big step this year and add an extra 7-10 goals to their seasonal tally.

Depending on the outcome of some of these questions, we will know how far we are from seriously competing for a title.
We are a long way from competing for a title even with 2 or 3 really good signings. This United team under ETH is too inconsistent and doesn’t score enough goals.

This is ETH third year in charge and we still don’t know his style or his best 11.

The first season we saw a brave ETH who did very little wrong however his squad and team ran out of steam, the second season the manager got high on his own self esteem, hubris and stubbornness and looked a dejected man until the Fa Cup Final.

So hypothetically let’s assume an absolute dream window of the four players signed joined by UGARTE, S Berg and I Toney,
M Hermoso/B Chillwell(Free/loan),
we then sell Jadon Sancho(40m),
S McTominay(25m), Hannibal(7m),
F Pellistri(8m) - This would mean that Ineos would have somehow managed to sell Fringe Players for £125-130m, remove 13 or 14 players and then add ; L Yoro, M De Ligt, N Mazraoui, New LCB/LB, Ugarte, S Berg,
I Toney
so Ashworth, Wilcox and Berrada would have done more in 2 months than the previous regimes did in 13 years and all of this by probably reducing the players wage bill by £20/30m per year as well!

The club may have potentially 60-63 games, they will have to play Thursday/Sunday at least 8 times and will be playing two extra European fixtures in January after Xmas.

We must assume due to the intensity of the modern game and the number of fixtures, we will always have 7 or 8 players not available and need a squad after that of 22/23 players just to compete, Chelsea are a mess however they have so many options they can field two completely different 11’s this season and if they add Osimhen, then they are nailed on for top 3 for me irrespective of what people think.

United 24/25 Potential Squad Options
Prem League Team; (4231)

A Onana, D Dalot, M De Ligt, L Martinez, L Shaw, Ugarte, Mainoo, Bruno, Amad, I Toney*, Rashford
Bench (9) , A Bayinder, N Mazraoui,
H Maguire, S Berg, Casemiro, M Mount, Garnacho, J Zirkzee, R Hojlund

Europa/Cup Team (4222)
A Bayinder, N Mazraoui, H Maguire, L Yoro, H Amass/New LB, Casemiro, S Berg, M Mount, Zirkzee, Garnaucho, Hojlund
Bench (12) A Onana, T Heaton, L Shaw, D Dalot, M De Ligt, L Martinez, New LB/CB, T Collyer, K Mainoo, Bruno, Amad, Rashford, Eriksen, Antony

Now look at those players and tell me you think we have enough pace, physicality and creativity in deeper midfield positions, but most importantly I don’t see that team scoring over 2 goals per game in the PL and scoring 75 goals plus, something they have not done since our title wining squad of 2012-13 over 12 years ago!

And that’s with a decent striker like Toney coming in? Goals win matches especially in the PL and right now City(96), Arsenal(91), Liverpool(86), Villa(76),Chelsea(77), Spurs(74) and Newcastle(85) all score much more than we do, all these teams are set up to average at least 2 goals per game as you can see by the goals scored in brackets next to each team.

United under any Dutch Coach are regressive and simply don’t score enough goals, that’s not a myth that’s a fact.

ETH two PL seasons 57 and then 58
LVG two seasons 62 and 49 goals scored where we’ve had Strikers like Falcao, RVP, Rooney, Ronaldo, Rashford, Garnacho.

Our so called Dutch masters have resided over 4th, 5th, 3rd and 8th place in the EPL and their teams have scored 226 goals in 152 PL matches which is an average of 1.48 goals per game, simply not good enough so for me I don’t care about conceding 1 or 2 goals, I want to see United Attack, Attack, Attack, that’s what the club is famous for Scoring Goals, creating magic moments and especially at home scoring goals, we took 33 points last season at home with 6 home defeats and scored 31 goals and conceded 28 goals, anything that starts to resemble this inept team showing must result in a swift managerial change.

Just for a moment let that sink in 4 seasons of Dutch wonder coaches averaging 1.46 PL goals every game from 152 PL matches. Let’s compare an average English Coach like Eddie Howe, his Newcastle team have scored 153 goals in 76 Matches in their last two seasons, They have multiple options upfront and are looking to buy more because the goal from the owners is to win more matches by scoring more goals, so when fans say we don’t need another striker.
Why ?
United Fans need to remember the last time this United team won the EPL was 12 years ago when we scored 86 goals in 38 matches and for the record we had 4 Centre Forwards that season RVP, Wayne Rooney, Danny Wellbeck and Chicharito and all of them played over 30 matches and all contributed where they scored 66 goals combined, add that to Nani, A Young, Valencia, Giggs as outright wide strikers or wingers and as bad as that team was 12 years ago it still had far more attacking zest than this one and at least 5 or 6 genuine world class players like Rio, Evra, Carrick, Vidic, RVP, and Rooney plus two legacy players in Giggs and Scholes.

So talk of title challenge right now is pure nonsense, our first title and challenge is score 2 goals per game and play dominant attacking football not basketball football where we can’t score and are so open at the back we keep losing games.

Rashford is not going anywhere I think, for better or worse.

We need to replace Maguire next season with the LB/CB hybrid, that's what I meant.

So something like :

Mazraoui , Dalot
De Ligt , Yoro
Martinez, CB/LB hybrid player
Shaw, Amass

So that player will essentially be backup/competition for both Martinez and Shaw.
I do wonder how we'll go about it. We may go back in for Branthwaite and decide to use either him or Martinez as the CB/LB hybrid. Or we may choose to sign Branthwaite and a left back.

I do wonder how we'll go about it. We may go back in for Branthwaite and decide to use either him or Martinez as the CB/LB hybrid. Or we may choose to sign Branthwaite and a left back.
Think our CBs are sorted for the near future. We should target a player who is more comfortable at LB, and can do a job at CB. Or get a LB, and get a cheap/free CB for backup.

With the signings of De Light and Mazraoui, I'd love to see two CMs and a LB before the end of the window.

Out : McTominay, Sancho, Hannibal, Pellistri
In : Ugarte, Fofana, Hermoso

Something like that would make this a very good window. We may need a striker as well but I'd be happy to see how Hojlund develops this season and if Zirkzee can provide an impact. We would also have Bruno as a false 9 option.

Ideally would still love us to get rid of and replace Antony, Lindelof and Maguire but it's unlikely all that will happen.

With the signings of De Light and Mazraoui, I'd love to see two CMs and a LB before the end of the window.

Out : McTominay, Sancho, Hannibal, Pellistri
In : Ugarte, Fofana, Hermoso

Something like that would make this a very good window. We may need a striker as well but I'd be happy to see how Hojlund develops this season and if Zirkzee can provide an impact. We would also have Bruno as a false 9 option.

Ideally would still love us to get rid of and replace Antony, Lindelof and Maguire but it's unlikely all that will happen.
I thought Fofana had stated he's only interested in moving to AC Milan?

Still possible we bring in 2 midfielders and then we need some support at LB, maybe look at a Reguilon loan type of deal. Branthwaite seems undoable and will only get more expensive as the window shortens as well as Everton's resolve not to sell. He's one maybe for next summer if he continues his form.

Seems Ugarte is going to happen and I'd like another CM to ease load off of Mainoo.

In an ideal world, we manage to sell Sancho to PSG for £45-50m and McTominay to Fulham/Turkish club for £15-20m, as well as one of Hannibal/Eriksen for a small fee. Sign Ugarte for £40m, a CM (Berge? Danilo?) for £20m and a left back (Bradley Locko) for £10-15m and we're set for top 4.
Why would reject 20m from Fulham then sell him for less somewhere else? Re: McTominay.

The only realistic outs at this stage are Lindelof, Hannibal and Pellistri. Anyone else is up in the air.

The only realistic outs at this stage are Lindelof, Hannibal and Pellistri. Anyone else is up in the air.
Those three need to go, but hopefully Sancho too.

We need to trim the excess attached to the squad.

Surely Sergio Roberto would be a risk free signing.

Priority order for rest of the window

Needed

DM
LB (loan/free agent)

Ideally would like

Midfielder who can play 6 or 8
Proven ST

And we need two midfielders, not one. We are playing the first game of the season and our two midfielders are gassed with 20 minutes to go. We'll be playing two matches a week soon.

And we need two midfielders, not one. We are playing the first game of the season and our two midfielders are gassed with 20 minutes to go. We'll be playing two matches a week soon.

First thing I thought after the game. And it’s a game when I thought both Casemiro and Mainoo played well.

You can maybe put a little of it down to lack of pre season for Mainoo… but neither have ever demonstrated that they have the gas tank to play 90 mins week in week out for us.

We desperately need another competent option at number 6 before the window shuts who can rotate in regularly.

I'm starting to think we need a left footed LB on loan, along with the much needed #6 in midfield.

Need intelligent cogs to get this machine working more steady, when on high gear.

Some of the buildup & counters looked like coked up comic standup.

Ugarte.

Beyond that we can take a look at some loan options for depth (LB, CM if McTominay leaves, maybe an RW if Sancho is off), we can assess the quality of our attack this season and decide if we need 1 or 2 more pieces there next summer.

It would be so important to not only get Ugarte but also some cover for Mainoo. There is noone in the squad who can fill in the Mainoo role. And Mainoo himself can't last for 90 mins.

I still think one is fine if we get Ugarte. We're probably going to settle into one of Rasmus/Zirkzee starting at striker, and Bruno at #10. That means you've got:

Mainoo
Ugarte
Casemiro
Mount
Eriksen
Collyer
Potentially McT

For 2 spots on the field. Is that really not sufficient?

I still think one is fine if we get Ugarte. We're probably going to settle into one of Rasmus/Zirkzee starting at striker, and Bruno at #10. That means you've got:

Mainoo
Ugarte
Casemiro
Mount
Eriksen
Collyer
Potentially McT

For 2 spots on the field. Is that really not sufficient?

In terms of numbers, yes. But in terms of ability and suitability, no. I don't think Mount can work in a midfield two. I'm yet to see Collyer show he is good enough in possession. McTominay clearly does not have the skillset for a midfield two (unless it is soaking up pressure Ole counter attack), Eriksen doesn't have the legs, so it is really just Mainoo and Casemiro. Collyer might come on for 15 minutes here or there to shore things up a bit, but that's not when we're chasing a game. Eriksen obviously has the passing range but zero bite and mobility, so we really do need two midfielders. Unless Erik will start using Martinez in midfield, and judging by his left back performance, I'm very doubtful it's a good idea.

In terms of numbers, yes. But in terms of ability and suitability, no. I don't think Mount can work in a midfield two. I'm yet to see Collyer show he is good enough in possession. McTominay clearly does not have the skillset for a midfield two (unless it is soaking up pressure Ole counter attack), Eriksen doesn't have the legs, so it is really just Mainoo and Casemiro. Collyer might come on for 15 minutes here or there to shore things up a bit, but that's not when we're chasing a game. Eriksen obviously has the passing range but zero bite and mobility, so we really do need two midfielders. Unless Erik will start using Martinez in midfield, and judging by his left back performance, I'm very doubtful it's a good idea.
It'd be Mainoo, Casemiro, and Ugarte as the primary guys, with Mount a strong #4. That should work unless there are multiple injuries. If you add a fifth guy 1-2 of them will rarely play.