What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

With Lindelof, Maguire, Eriksen, Evans, Heaton, McT, Hannibal, Pellestri and Amad contracts all expiring end of 2025, I think we will see most (amad aside and maybe Pellestri), leaving the club next summer.

I expect we will be very busy next summer again. If we are looking at the 17-24 age range again next summer. The. Evan Ferguson and Adam Wharton would be nice additions to the squad.
And Mount leaving also ?

The PSR nonsense that we can only spend £50-70m was obviously another red herring however I do think there is some truth in £100-120m of actual cash to spend before we make any transfers outs.

Assuming M De Ligt, Mazraoui are in and AWB is sold.

Transfers In: L Yorro(52m), J Zirkzee(36m), M De Ligt(38m), N Mazraoui(13m)
Total so far £139m
Rumoured wages Total - £460k per week combined all four players

Transfers Out: A Fernandes(5m),
W Kanbwala(8.5m), M Greenwood(22m), DVB(0.5m), AWB (13m)
Total So Far £49m
Rumoured wages reduced £330k per week

Released Players Contract ended:
B Williams(60k), R Varrane(340k), O Forson(15k), A Martial(250k), S Shoretire(15k),
Rumoured wages Reduction £680k per week

Summary
The wages have been reduced by £1million per week and the club have probably received or will receive 1/2th of the £49m as teams would have arranged instalments for buying our players in the same we have arranged favourable terms on all player purchases. So let’s say the club has £25m incoming in cash to add to the £120m which was sitting in the revolving credit card facility so I would estimate before any players have been signed, there’s about £145m of cash to facilitate all transfers and more importantly upfront Agent Fees which will probably work out about 15% of the overall fees.

L Yoro - Again rumoured three year instalment plan so £52m/3 = £17m + 15%(8m) - Total cash (£25m)
J Zirkzee - We know United Agreed to pay more than the buy out to agree 3 year terms so £36m/3 = £12m plus huge 25-30% Agent fee of £9-10m - Total Cash (£22m)
M De Ligt - £38m transfer Fee on 3 years again = (£13m) + Agent Fee (£5m) = Total Cash spent (£18m)
N Mazraoui - £13m in 2 instalments = £6.5m + Agent Fee(£2m) - Total Cash (£8.5m)

This is a very rough guesstimate but It’s possible the club may have spent £94m of the £145m meaning the club has about £50m left. It’s also fair to assume they have created a huge surplus in the wages line to sign 3 or 4 more players and upgrade Bruno’s Contract.

It’s also fair to assume that they probably have enough for one/two more signings depending on whether the selling term will agree to payments terms rather than a single upfront payment. I think it’s also fair to assume that should the club sell Scott or Sancho for £30-35m they will be looking for maybe Three or Four more players due to our injury insides already.

Sell J Sancho or S Mctominay for £30m,
Buy Ugarte (38m), Hemoso(Free), A Rabiot(Free) and Ivan Toney or E Ferguson(40/50m) and I genuinely might start to get excited about this new season?

Ins
One of:Ugarte and Raboit
Amrabat or Berge and Fofana
Hermoso

Outs
Mctominey
Pellestri
Hanibal
Maguire
Sancho or Antony

We need a midfielder who can pass. Against City, Rashford hit a few long passes to the right, opening up play and getting us into goal-scoring spaces. A midfielder who can hit those passes to both flanks would be a game-changer.

I would like to see Ugarte come and it would be enough for this window. Further reinforcements would not be realistic, for now.

There are still a lot of players that need to leave(McTominay, Lindelof, Hannibal, Pellistri, Sancho...).

I would like to see Ugarte come and it would be enough for this window. Further reinforcements would not be realistic, for now.

There are still a lot of players that need to leave(McTominay, Lindelof, Hannibal, Pellistri, Sancho...).
I'd like to see how Ugarte affects our midfield and how Mainoo develops this season. Then with McT and Eriksen out of contract next summer, give us chance to take stock and assess what's needed.

Well we are more than likely ver soon going to see a midfield addition. When you look atthe squad it is high in numbers andhasgood depth now:

Are two ormore decent options in most positions and possible breathroughs this season for Collyer and Amass,maybe even Gore and Lacey.

Squad not perfect and as it stands, still several to move on and a coupe of areas not super onfident on.

My main concernis actually where we are stacked......out wide

Sancho should be moved on, Antony can only hope gets moved on.....personally I have nofaith in Rashford putting in anything but sporadic form.

Garnahp and Amad bothhave lots of talent but its too soonto expect a consistent seasonof performances...

I do think no wide signing will appear ot be a mistake as the season goes on...appreciate until we move 2/3 on won thappen though

Lindelof, Hannibal and Pelistri are all going to leave, some maybe on loan but I think the hope is to sell all Three and try and raise £20-25m. I doubt very much we will sell Scott McTominay or Jadon Sancho this summer!

Ugarte will not be enough we need a proper goal scorer and versatile Left back/Left CB. We can do with just one Midfielder, by managing Eriksen and Casemiro minutes abs using them more as impact subs, either forcing them to leave late in the window or up their game if they want more minutes.

The PSR nonsense that we can only spend £50-70m was obviously another red herring however I do think there is some truth in £100-120m of actual cash to spend before we make any transfers outs.

Total so far £139m

Total So Far £49m

B Williams(60k), R Varrane(340k), O Forson(15k), A Martial(250k), S Shoretire(15k),

Summary
The wages have been reduced by £1million per week and the club have probably received or will receive 1/2th of the £49m as teams would have arranged instalments for buying our players in the same we have arranged favourable terms on all player purchases. So let’s say the club has £25m incoming in cash to add to the £120m which was sitting in the revolving credit card facility so I would estimate before any players have been signed, there’s about £145m of cash to facilitate all transfers and more importantly upfront Agent Fees which will probably work out about 15% of the overall fees.

L Yoro - Again rumoured three year instalment plan so £52m/3 = £17m + 15%(8m) - Total cash (£25m)
J Zirkzee - We know United Agreed to pay more than the buy out to agree 3 year terms so £36m/3 = £12m plus huge 25-30% Agent fee of £9-10m - Total Cash (£22m)
M De Ligt - £38m transfer Fee on 3 years again = (£13m) + Agent Fee (£5m) = Total Cash spent (£18m)
N Mazraoui - £13m in 2 instalments = £6.5m + Agent Fee(£2m) - Total Cash (£8.5m)

This is a very rough guesstimate but It’s possible the club may have spent £94m of the £145m meaning the club has about £50m left. It’s also fair to assume they have created a huge surplus in the wages line to sign 3 or 4 more players and upgrade Bruno’s Contract.

It’s also fair to assume that they probably have enough for one/two more signings depending on whether the selling term will agree to payments terms rather than a single upfront payment. I think it’s also fair to assume that should the club sell Scott or Sancho for £30-35m they will be looking for maybe Three or Four more players due to our injury insides already.

Buy Ugarte (38m), Hemoso(Free), A Rabiot(Free) and Ivan Toney or E Ferguson(40/50m) and I genuinely might start to get excited about this new season?

My advice is to pick two so which are most important, we aren't signing 8 senior players in one window much as I would like it to happen it's unrealistic

Last edited:

Total so far £139m

Total So Far £49m

Summary

Im not sure signing Evan Ferguson would be a good move for us at this point when he has been struugling to get a game for Brighton and we already have Zirkzee and Hojlund, I would rather us sign an expirianced Striker on loan for the season to take the pressure of Hojlund and Zirkzee and give Ruud more time to work his magic with them.

I would also look to sign a LB on loan for a season to cover whike we give Shaw and Malacia time to fully recover from injury and regain match fitness.

Total so far £139m

Total So Far £49m

Summary

I appreciate the effort you’ve gone through to come up with some estimates in figures.

However I can’t see us signing:

Yoro
Zirkzee
De Ligt
Mazraoui
Ugarte
Hermoso
Rabiot
Ferguson

In one window.

Total so far £139m

Total So Far £49m

Summary

0 chance we go after Toney or Ferguson. For that price I'd rather try and hijack Doue or another top wide forward

I think if we can sell Casemiro, Mctominay and Lindelof, I would like to see us bring in Youssouf fofana, Ugarte and Hermoso.
This way, the starters in midfield would be Bruno, Fofana and Ugarte. With the back ups as Mount, Mainoo and Collyer.
This will shock a lot of people, having Mainoo as backup but I would think of it more as a 1A and 1B between Mainoo and Fofana whereas the two other two, i.e. Mount and Collyer would be more typical backups.
This will give is real strength and depth as well as competition in the middle of the park.

I think if we can sell Casemiro, Mctominay and Lindelof, I would like to see us bring in Youssouf fofana, Ugarte and Hermoso.
This way, the starters in midfield would be Bruno, Fofana and Ugarte. With the back ups as Mount, Mainoo and Collyer.
This will shock a lot of people, having Mainoo as backup but I would think of it more as a 1A and 1B between Mainoo and Fofana whereas the two other two, i.e. Mount and Collyer would be more typical backups.
This will give is real strength and depth as well as competition in the middle of the park.

Might sell the last two but no chance of Casemiro

We should be looking to bring in two central midfielders.

I must say it every summer, but we need to get ahead, instead of falling behind each summer with new gaps appearing.

As it stands, we can choose from Casemiro, Mainoo, Eriksen and (at a push) McTominay in the deeper midfield positions. Only Mainoo will be at the club in twelve months time. That’s a lot to do.

We look to be sorting out the defence which is promising. Lindelof and Maguire won’t survive next summer either. But on the whole we need to work at the squad so that we go into summer transfer windows needing one or two players instead of five or six.

Really the only necessity is a midfielder. If ten hag can't have us playing well with this squad then he needs to leave and we get a better manager in.

We should be looking to bring in two central midfielders.

I must say it every summer, but we need to get ahead, instead of falling behind each summer with new gaps appearing.

As it stands, we can choose from Casemiro, Mainoo, Eriksen and (at a push) McTominay in the deeper midfield positions. Only Mainoo will be at the club in twelve months time. That’s a lot to do.

We look to be sorting out the defence which is promising. Lindelof and Maguire won’t survive next summer either. But on the whole we need to work at the squad so that we go into summer transfer windows needing one or two players instead of five or six.

Yeah 2 is the minimum needed. With one being a DM and the other being a CM. As it stands right now we have 0 cover for Casemiro (who shouldn't be starting anyways), Mainoo, or Bruno (unless you really want to count Mount)

Yeah 2 is the minimum needed. With one being a DM and the other being a CM. As it stands right now we have 0 cover for Casemiro (who shouldn't be starting anyways), Mainoo, or Bruno (unless you really want to count Mount)

My advice is prepare yourself for only one, becoming clear that Berge/Fofana/Rabiot are purely backup targets to Ugarte, so says to me there won't be a second midfielder signing

My advice is prepare yourself for only one, becoming clear that Berge/Fofana/Rabiot are purely backup targets to Ugarte, so says to me there won't be a second midfielder signing

Yes I totally agree, I would personally like us to get two especially as we are trying to sell Mctominey and Eriksen looked past it last season. Out of the three you mentioned hope its Fofana. 29 million is a decent price. I reckon we might even be able to get it down to £25 million potentially.

Collyer will be the second new midfielder to the squad. If there are sales we might add a third.

A central midfielder and a left back. Infuriating that we're going into another season praying to the gods that Luke Shaw can finally get over his fitness problems. Martinez was horrible there and I don't particularly want to see Dalot or Mazraoui there either.

Sancho going to PSG would have to be a straight swap given the price Sancho cost

Was hoping for something like this, but now seems like Doue will join PSG so that's presumably the LW they needed to replace Mbappe and compete with Barcola.

pleased with the window assuming MDL, Mazraoui and AWB complete as expected

Would be great if we can add Ugarte

Would be ecstatic if we got rid of McT. I’m not sure I can handle another season watching him struggle against…well…everyone!

I appreciate the effort you’ve gone through to come up with some estimates in figures.

However I can’t see us signing:

Yoro
Zirkzee
De Ligt
Mazraoui
Ugarte
Hermoso
Rabiot
Ferguson

In one window.
Nor can I and to repeat it could only happen if we made two further sales of Mctominay and Sancho, both look likely to stay now.

Some good strides made in this window. We are still a way off the top sides but it's unrealistic to think we can do it all over 1 summer. If we assume we complete the 2 defenders then I would be happy if we could add a decent holding midfielder for now. I think that would give us enough to push on with and a strong base to build on next summer.