What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Yoro
De Ligt
Zirkzee
Mazraoui
Obi-Martin

Two midfielders and this transfer window was at least a 9 out of a 10.....depends of the quality of the midfield.

Yoro
De Ligt
Zirkzee
Mazraoui
Obi-Martin

Two midfielders and this transfer window was at least a 9 out of a 10.....depends of the quality of the midfield.

I dont think we will be getting two midfielders, but just get Ugarte and Hermoso in, this is an easy 9/10 window.

I dont think we will be getting two midfielders, but just get Ugarte and Hermoso in, this is an easy 9/10 window.
Ugarte + Zubimendi and this transfer window would be 10/10

But Ugarte/Zubimendi + Rabiot/Berge must happen.

We all have seen our midfield last season (especially since January).....a injury for Mainoo for a few weeks and we have crazy problems in this position.

We desperately need a a DM now. Somebody better than Casemiro or we're fecked.
Yep. Left back still a mess but chance that it doesn't remain a mess during the season, especially if Martinez turns into an actual option there. If we sign a DM then I'll be comfortable for the season and be ok with having actual expectations. If not... The midfield will be unbalanced.

Yep. Left back still a mess but chance that it doesn't remain a mess during the season, especially if Martinez turns into an actual option there. If we sign a DM then I'll be comfortable for the season and be ok with having actual expectations. If not... The midfield will be unbalanced.

We have Amass, Shaw, Malacia, Mazraoui who can all play at LB

Not one a first team starter left back. A starter is someone you can rely on. 3 injury prone players and a kid is bannanas. Malacia is dead take him out. Amass too young take him out except the odd game here or there. Then Shaw we know for a fact will play 30 games if we are lucky. That leaves Mazraoui who is better on the right and is injury prone himself.

Yeah, like I said, bit of a mess. Amass I'd assume next season he can start getting squad player minutes, this season is like the 10 min sub appearances in dead rubbers so not a real option. Shaw always injured. Malacia isn't even a real player at this point. Mazraoui will be our backup RB who thankfully is versatile, but also is injury prone.

Ideally you want 2 players per position. 2 players who will stay fit and can contribute. When your backup RB will be a starter at LB more often than not, it's not a great situation

Assuming the double signing from Bayern goes through, and can then only sign 1 more player, which position would you prioritise?

Midfield seems the priority, and we obviously need quality there, but I think getting a goalscoring forward is more important personally

A trustworthy report suggesting once AWB is gone that we will look to try to sell:
  1. Lindelöf
  2. Casemiro
  3. McTominay
Not necessarily all 3 players but I’m all but certain now that Lindelöf will be sold for ~€10-15m and if that happens I wouldn’t be surprised by Hermoso on a free.

That would possibly leave us with:

Dalot
Mazraoui

De Ligt
Yoro
Martinez
Maguire
Hermoso
Evans

Shaw
Malacia*
Amass

A much better balance of player types and versatility for the PL.

A trustworthy report suggesting once AWB is gone that we will look to try to sell:
  1. Lindelöf
  2. Casemiro
  3. McTominay
Not necessarily all 3 players but I’m all but certain now that Lindelöf will be sold for ~€10-15m and if that happens I wouldn’t be surprised by Hermoso on a free.

That would possibly leave us with:

Dalot
Mazraoui

De Ligt
Yoro
Martinez
Maguire
Hermoso
Evans

Shaw
Malacia*
Amass

A much better balance of player types and versatility for the PL.

I like this, but if we get a decent fee for Lindelof I'd prefer to see the money spent on Kadioglu.

Shaw is 29 with a long list of injuries behind him. Amass is a talent but raw and there's no guarantee he'll make it and god knows how/when/if Malacia will make it back. There's also a bit of noise around Real Madrid moving for Dalot next summer.

Kadioglu is a really good player who can challenge Shaw for a starting spot immediately, who can play RB as well, and provides cover on either wing. At 24, he would be a could option for the next 6 or 7 years.

RB - Dalot, Mazraoui, Kadioglu
RCB - De Ligt, Yoro, Maguire, Evans
LCB - Martinez, De Ligt, Maguire, Shaw
LB - Shaw, Kadioglu, Mazraoui, Amass, Malacia?

Assuming the double signing from Bayern goes through, and can then only sign 1 more player, which position would you prioritise?

Midfield seems the priority, and we obviously need quality there, but I think getting a goalscoring forward is more important personally
Personally I would definitely prioritize a DM-backup/competitor for Casemiro (though I think he was really good today).
Secondly I would even target another versatile midfielder before we go for another striker (provided we do sell McT, Mejbri and/or Eriksen).

I like this, but if we get a decent fee for Lindelof I'd prefer to see the money spent on Kadioglu.

Shaw is 29 with a long list of injuries behind him. Amass is a talent but raw and there's no guarantee he'll make it and god knows how/when/if Malacia will make it back. There's also a bit of noise around Real Madrid moving for Dalot next summer.

Kadioglu is a really good player who can challenge Shaw for a starting spot immediately, who can play RB as well, and provides cover on either wing. At 24, he would be a could option for the next 6 or 7 years.

RB - Dalot, Mazraoui, Kadioglu
RCB - De Ligt, Yoro, Maguire, Evans
LCB - Martinez, De Ligt, Maguire, Shaw
LB - Shaw, Kadioglu, Mazraoui, Amass, Malacia?
I’d be inclined to agree with you that it would be better spent if you’re considering the fee going towards a defender only.

However I can’t see us moving for a LB like Kadioglu for a significant outlay ~£30m from just a Lindelöf sale. Not when everyone can see how our DM needs strengthening.

In isolation the move would make sense for the reasons you outline. But I’d imagine Ugarte is considered a higher priority given he plays in a key central position.

Best of both worlds for me would be a Hancko signing a man can dream…

Ugarte, Rabiott and Toney please! Sancho, McT and Lindelof can leave.

That would be my ideal next 3 signings as well, however there isn't any noise about two midfielders but keep seeing Toney referenced in articles by the top Utd sources. How much do you think we could get for Sancho, McTominay and Lindelof?

I feel like Kadioglu could give us some flexibility but funding it looks a problem, also like Hermoso as a free agent and can play LCB/LB but his request for 3 year contract might put us off going for him.

Last edited:
Sell
Lindelof - 10m
McT - 20m
Sancho - 30m
Eriksen (even on a vdb like fee). The guy can't press and legs are gone after one half.

Buy
Ugarte - 40m (spread over 4 years)
Rabiot - Free (2 year deal, optional +1)
Another player if we're deemed weak in an area.

Sell
Lindelof - 10m
McT - 20m
Sancho - 30m
Eriksen (even on a vdb like fee). The guy can't press and legs are gone after one half.

Buy
Ugarte - 40m (spread over 4 years)
Rabiot - Free (2 year deal, optional +1)
Another player if we're deemed weak in an area.

Who would you pick for other player out of

Hermoso
Kadioglu
Toney

Surely IF we really wanted Rabiot he would already be signed by now as out of contract, like I said previously it reeks of him being a backup target rather than additional signing. There would be so much noise around him from reliable sources if this had any legs.

Who would you pick for other player out of

Hermoso
Kadioglu
Toney

Surely IF we really wanted Rabiot he would already be signed by now as out of contract, like I said previously it reeks of him being a backup target rather than additional signing. There would be so much noise around him from reliable sources if this had any legs.

I think Casemiro will have a good season, Eriksen can't run and McT won't offer much. I think Rabiot can do a job.

As for the three players mentioned no idea. I guess it depends where ultimately we need to strengthen

Hermoso is free, Kadioglu I've not seen much of the Turkish league so there's no guarantees but if the sporting side feels he's got huge potential Shaw is not getting any younger so having a deputy won't be a bad move. Malacia I worry about his fitness.

Toney while good isn't good enough to get us to the top, we need a world class striker and he isn't it.

Last edited:
I think Casemiro will have a good season, Eriksen can't run and McT won't offer much. I think Rabiot can do a job.

As for the three players mentioned no idea. I guess it depends where ultimately we need to strengthen

Hermoso is free, Kadioglu I've not seen much of the Turkish league so there's no guarantees but if the sporting side feels he's got huge potential Shaw is not getting any younger so having a deputy won't be a bad move. Malacia I worry about his fitness.

Toney while good isn't good enough to get us to the top, we need a world class striker and he isn't it.

Who is that world class striker we can get?

I completely agree that Rabiot can do a job,however the lack of links from Ornstein, Romano Whitwell, Ducker says interest is minimal

Like Hermoso and the fact he comes from the Simeone school of dark arts could be valuable in the Premier League.

Ugarte is the only essential, I'd say. On top of that if we can get rabiot and hermoso then that would be a great window. Only one I'd like seeing going out is Sancho. Somehow feel that his energy levels and drama can bring the whole squad down.

Still quite a bit of holes to fill, but we’ll have to be creative, I reckon.

Kadioglu would be my first choice to cover LB, although Hermoso on a free would be a great LCB, LB cover stopgap, allowing us to spend on 2 midfielders.

Ugarte is obviously our main target, hopefully with Sancho going the other way, I’d even be open to a loan with obligation to buy on Ugarte.

My 3rd key signing would be Ederson from Atalanta, we’ve had mild links, but I think his midfield versatility, tenacity and link up play would be worth the 35mill or so it would take to sign him. Would probably need to offload Mctominay and Mejbri to make this a possibility.

Would leave our midfield looking something like this:
CAM: Bruno/Mount/Eriksen
CM/B2B: Mainoo/Ederson
DM/Holding: Ugarte/Casemiro/Collyer

Being realistic, Ugarte is probably the last purchase of the summer, if as according to reports Mendes can get the £8mil difference bridged between the clubs. We have spent a lot of money this summer if we include Ugarte.

Hermoso / Rabiot / any other free transfer is a unknown and will probably depend on outgoings. As they aren't affected by the transfer deadline, there's less of a rush to get them completed IMHO.

AWB to depart (pending medical). Then remains to be seen if the club can offload any of McT, Sancho, Lindelof etc.

Personally would prefer the club not to buy (permanently) anymore CMs after Ugarte to see how the likes of Adam Wharton and others develop this season. No issue with someone coming in on loan with a option to buy.

Now we have a proper football management structure in place, I presume prospective deals will be assessed and worked on throughout the season so we are ready for next summers window.

After completing De ligt and Maz I Would love Hermoso on a free, sander berge and if we manage to sell a few then Ugarte.

In terms of positions they can play, De Ligt and Mazraoui are perfect signings as they can play on the right and left side of full back or centre back.

It might explain why we're not linked with many pure left backs at all. Or many left sided centre backs like Branthwaite.

Shaw Martinez Yoro Dalot
Mazraoui De Ligt De Ligt Mazraoui

There's a genuine chance Mazraoui and De Ligt become first choice starters for us. We know Dutch managers like multifunctional players and it can lead to needing less overall numbers in the squad.

We still have Amass, Evans, Maguire, Lindelof and Malacia if he can get over his knee issues as cover. I have a suspicion that we're now done with signings for the defence. With no links to exits for Maguire and Lindelof it looks like they're happy to pick up the wage and be squad players.

The shift will surely happen now and focus on the midfield outgoings and therefore incomings. Casemiro, Eriksen, Hannibal or McTominay leaving probably unlocks the CDM and CM signings.

I believe the last priority for us in the window will be a winger if we can offload Sancho and or Pellestri for a decent amount, and potentially a low cost experienced striker which is the lowest priority and simply a nice to have rather than a necessity.

Let's see what INEOS can do with the midfield outgoings first which kickstarts the midfield overhaul.

At this stage, a CDM would be priority number 1 - I think the hold up on Ugarte is mainly due to PSG not willing to budge on price and not player sales, at least the (somewhat reliable) news say we've tabled in a bid of 42M pounds for him even before outgoings. Hopefully we get that position sorted out with a good midfielder by August 31st - Hjulmand and Varela are decent options we could look at. I'm not personally sold on Berge, but if none of these deals work out, he's better than nothing.

Beyond that, an LB would be immensely helpful - Hermoso on a free seems like a good move because he can play both LCB and LB.

Selling one of Antony/Sancho/Pellistri (ideally all 3) would also free up some funds for a CF (And I think we need to sell some of these players if we want to add a CF) - Ivan Toney would be great, but I'm not sure we can meet Brentford's requirements. I wouldn't mind someone in the calibre of Santi Gimenez or Evanlison (at reasonable fees) if Toney proves unattainable. Otherwise we are stuck with what we've got - and it's up to some of these players to earn their place at United going into 2025/26. It's definitely a concern going into the season without having sold Sancho/Antony but the squad should be good enough (with those defensive/midfield additions) to make top 4.

At this stage, a CDM would be priority number 1 - I think the hold up on Ugarte is mainly due to PSG not willing to budge on price and not player sales, at least the (somewhat reliable) news say we've tabled in a bid of 42M pounds for him even before outgoings. Hopefully we get that position sorted out with a good midfielder by August 31st - Hjulmand and Varela are decent options we could look at. I'm not personally sold on Berge, but if none of these deals work out, he's better than nothing.

Beyond that, an LB would be immensely helpful - Hermoso on a free seems like a good move because he can play both LCB and LB.

Selling one of Antony/Sancho/Pellistri (ideally all 3) would also free up some funds for a CF (And I think we need to sell some of these players if we want to add a CF) - Ivan Toney would be great, but I'm not sure we can meet Brentford's requirements. I wouldn't mind someone in the calibre of Santi Gimenez or Evanlison (at reasonable fees) if Toney proves unattainable. Otherwise we are stuck with what we've got - and it's up to some of these players to earn their place at United going into 2025/26. It's definitely a concern going into the season without having sold Sancho/Antony but the squad should be good enough (with those defensive/midfield additions) to make top 4.

I could see Sancho and Pellistri being sold, however we are stuck with that Antony weight round our necks

Ugarte is the only essential, I'd say. On top of that if we can get rabiot and hermoso then that would be a great window. Only one I'd like seeing going out is Sancho. Somehow feel that his energy levels and drama can bring the whole squad down.
Totally agree on Jadon Sancho, he has to leave for his own self esteem, he’s not going to start and may get 15 mins here and there, ETH wants complete competition in every position however Sancho not the type to knuckle down, work hard and fight for his place so yes he’s talented but must go, we are clearly including him to try and get the £40m we need to go buy another striker and I can see the club going and buying another CFW like E Ferguson or I Toney and hopefully not DCL.

ETH then has 4 decent CB options for 2 Spots, Hopefully 4 Decent options at FB, Six or Seven midfield options for 3 spots and at least 7 options for the three Wide and central striker positions.

Being realistic, Ugarte is probably the last purchase of the summer, if as according to reports Mendes can get the £8mil difference bridged between the clubs. We have spent a lot of money this summer if we include Ugarte.

Hermoso / Rabiot / any other free transfer is a unknown and will probably depend on outgoings. As they aren't affected by the transfer deadline, there's less of a rush to get them completed IMHO.

AWB to depart (pending medical). Then remains to be seen if the club can offload any of McT, Sancho, Lindelof etc.

Personally would prefer the club not to buy (permanently) anymore CMs after Ugarte to see how the likes of Adam Wharton and others develop this season. No issue with someone coming in on loan with a option to buy.

Now we have a proper football management structure in place, I presume prospective deals will be assessed and worked on throughout the season so we are ready for next summers window.

Yeah you make a good point about there being no rush with those two as are free agents

Finalise the Bayern pair, add a defensive central midfielder and get three or four more out permanently on top of Wan Bissaka and I think that's a good first transfer window for INEOS all things considered.

Finalise the Bayern pair, add a defensive central midfielder and get three or four more out permanently on top of Wan Bissaka and I think that's a good first transfer window for INEOS all things considered.

Do you consider Ugarte a CDM or not?

Still wish there was more talk of signing two midfielders because usual sources only mention one. Feel we need another different profile in there to give us flexibility depending on opponent.

Do you consider Ugarte a CDM or not?

Still wish there was more talk of signing two midfielders because usual sources only mention one. Feel we need another different profile in there to give us flexibility depending on opponent.

I think once the two Bayern players are finalised, then we’ll have full focus on getting the Ugarte one done - might go all the way to deadline day I feel as PSG don’t seem to want to budge from their asking price.

But I think anything further after Ugarte (if we do get it done before deadline day) will depend on player sales for the likes of Sancho, McTominay, Lindelof, Eriksen & Casemiro (although I reckon he’s gonna stay this season unless a good offer comes in from most likely a Saudi team).

Think if we do have time and some spare cash made available from the above sales then an additional midfielder & LB would be ideal.

To be fair, if these transfers come off then we've done ok this summer.

We definitely need a midfielder or two, but we definitely aren't getting two unless we can move on both McTom and Casemiro.

I would like to see us replace our backup wingers (Rashford and Antony) with a couple of decent backups, or even someone who can challenge to start, but we should be able to get by with those two this season as long as Amad and Garnacho stay relatively injury free.

With Lindelof, Maguire, Eriksen, Evans, Heaton, McT, Hannibal, Pellestri and Amad contracts all expiring end of 2025, I think we will see most (amad aside and maybe Pellestri), leaving the club next summer.

I expect we will be very busy next summer again. If we are looking at the 17-24 age range again next summer. The. Evan Ferguson and Adam Wharton would be nice additions to the squad.