What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Slightly underwhelming but think we’ll end up with De Ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte (hopefully a loan).

A CB rotation of De Ligt, Yoro, Martinez, Maguire, Evans, Shaw is pretty solid and we can get rid of maguire next year for Branthwaite.

Someone needs to put the feelers out on Wharton too, him and Branthwaite next summer to replace Casemiro and Maguire and I’d feel a lot happier. This season just has to be a transition one and if our forwards are on form with Martinez and Shaw staying fit I think we can get Top 4 and Europa.

Honestly the only wide players who get the juices flowing at Kvaratskhelia and Williams (both unrealistic). Yes I would take Raphinha if it was the version we saw at Leeds not Barca
I would like to see us putting in a serious effort for bringing in Williams. It looks like Barca are going for Olmo, and they surely cannot afford both? Williams is a sort of talent that is very rarely available for his moderate release clause. I think he can develop into a proper world-beater for us. It may not be an easy move, but we should make a solid effort into getting these really special players. Look at PSG, their work with the Joao Neves deal seems to be getting them to a fantastic signing.

Slightly underwhelming but think we’ll end up with De Ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte (hopefully a loan).
Agreed. I even think Reguilon may be a boring but decent signing, as Shaw and Malacia are highly unreliable. Would love to see us in a situation where we can bring in one or two super signings to sharpen the squad each summer, but the reality is that we need 6-7 players to even have a competitive squad this season. Backup LB and RB, starting CB, starting DM, backup DM (if Casemiro leave) and backup striker are all mandatory signings from my view. For example Reguilon, De Ligt, Mazraoui, Ugarte, Guido Rodriguez and a backup striker would be a boring but necessary window.

However, I really hope we can shift Sancho and be able to make a more high profile signing as well.

A CB rotation of De Ligt, Yoro, Martinez, Maguire, Evans, Shaw is pretty solid and we can get rid of maguire next year for Branthwaite.

Someone needs to put the feelers out on Wharton too, him and Branthwaite next summer to replace Casemiro and Maguire and I’d feel a lot happier. This season just has to be a transition one and if our forwards are on form with Martinez and Shaw staying fit I think we can get Top 4 and Europa.
A summer of Yoro, Zrikzee, De Ligt, Ugarte and Mazraoui underwhelming?

People forget how much damage the previous regime did and left so much work to be done. You can't undo that within one summer window frustrating as that is, therefore some will feel it's a bit underwhelming

Super happy with the first three.

I think it’s more just the Ugarte and Mazraoui signings. Mazraoui is essentially cover for Dalot and Shaw on both sides and not sure Ugarte is a massive upgrade and what we need in midfield.

Honestly the only wide players who get the juices flowing at Kvaratskhelia and Williams (both unrealistic). Yes I would take Raphinha if it was the version we saw at Leeds not Barca
I haven't watched him much from Barcelona tbh so most of my evaluation is coming from his Leeds stinct. The other two you mentioned are unrealistic as you said but are also left sided forwards. I am looking more at giving Amad competition on the right. Someone to help us pace his development without overwhelming him.

Super happy with the first three.

I think it’s more just the Ugarte and Mazraoui signings. Mazraoui is essentially cover for Dalot and Shaw on both sides and not sure Ugarte is a massive upgrade and what we need in midfield.

Isn't Ugarte exactly what we need?
We've got the playmaker, we've got the runner. What we don't have is the ball winner, and one of the big reasons we conceded so many shots on goal last year.
Ugarte may be limited in other areas, but whose out there that is a better option and available right now?

For Mazraoui, I'm not fully up on how good he is, but can cover both sides is a nice bonus.
Dalot last year was very good for us, and a fit Shaw is also very good, so this guy sort of fits that cover role on both areas, and by all accounts, if he can sort his fitness out, he sounds like he'd actually be a starter for us

I would like to see us putting in a serious effort for bringing in Williams. It looks like Barca are going for Olmo, and they surely cannot afford both? Williams is a sort of talent that is very rarely available for his moderate release clause. I think he can develop into a proper world-beater for us. It may not be an easy move, but we should make a solid effort into getting these really special players. Look at PSG, their work with the Joao Neves deal seems to be getting them to a fantastic signing.

Still have this awful feeling they could get both which is annoying because lowish release clause

Still have this awful feeling they could get both which is annoying because lowish release clause

The fact that Williams hasn't left yet and very little news surrounding him suggests he knows where he's going, which is more than likely Barca, even if they need to do many shady / stupid things to get him

Isn't Ugarte exactly what we need?
We've got the playmaker, we've got the runner. What we don't have is the ball winner, and one of the big reasons we conceded so many shots on goal last year.
Ugarte may be limited in other areas, but whose out there that is a better option and available right now?

For Mazraoui, I'm not fully up on how good he is, but can cover both sides is a nice bonus.
Dalot last year was very good for us, and a fit Shaw is also very good, so this guy sort of fits that cover role on both areas, and by all accounts, if he can sort his fitness out, he sounds like he'd actually be a starter for us

We still haven't got the high volume passer who can progress the ball forward though, hopefully there is still plans to sign one even though it won't be happening this window

We still haven't got the high volume passer who can progress the ball forward though, hopefully there is still plans to sign one even though it won't be happening this window

To complete the set we really need to move a few players on, which would have to be Casemiro, McTominay and Eriksen

Actually shocked nobody from Saudi came in for Casemiro, but it is what it is.
Eriksen though, even letting him go on a free and picking Rabiot up makes sense

Yeah I was certain they would come in, also the noise around Rabiot is only from shite sources

If someone had said at the start of the window we will end up with Zirkzee, Yoro, De ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte, I wouldn't have believed it for a second. It will be a great summer to get them all in.

Williams stated a few days ago he is staying at Bilbao this season. That's why Barcelona are in for Olmo now. They have been reassured that Williams isn't moving this summer so they can get him next summer. The Barcelona board see Williams as a absolute key signing. Yamal/Williams will be their answer to Mbappe/Vinicius

If someone had said at the start of the window we will end up with Zirkzee, Yoro, De ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte, I wouldn't have believed it for a second. It will be a great summer to get them all in.

Would be our best window in years if we pull off all those signings

Don't let that fake sideshowbob tell u otherwise :)

If you offered me that at the start of the window I’d have snapped your hand off.

Not sure why people are feeling underwhelmed with Ugarte. It’s not like he had a shocker at PSG, and he’s just really impressed at the Copa America.

Not sure who else the fans were realistically wanting instead of him? I’m happy we’ve gone for him over Onana that’s for sure.

If you offered me that at the start of the window I’d have snapped your hand off.

Not sure why people are feeling underwhelmed with Ugarte. It’s not like he had a shocker at PSG, and he’s just really impressed at the Copa America.

Not sure who else the fans were realistically wanting instead of him? I’m happy we’ve gone for him over Onana that’s for sure.

Joao Neves.
Even thought a midfield of Neves, Mainoo and Bruno wouldn't work, thats not the point of a lot of fans. It's all about ceilings and roofs and generational talents these days

Joao Neves.
Even thought a midfield of Neves, Mainoo and Bruno wouldn't work, thats not the point of a lot of fans. It's all about ceilings and roofs and generational talents these days

According to a journalist for Portuguese paper The Record Sport we did make a bid that was rejected.

June 6th: Sergio Krithinas, Record Sport: "Jorge Mendes brought an offer of around £51m from Man Utd for Benfica's Joao Neves, but the club turned it down. They want at least £85m." [@TransfersCast]

Joao Neves.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d have loved Neves but not as our only signing and we need a Ugarte type DM more than a Neves this summer.

If we have the funds and are able to offload Sancho and Antony, would Chiesa be worth bringing in? Thiago Motta confirmed Juve are looking to sell!

Same it as it always was. Midfield midfield midfield. We will never contend again until we have a top class midfield group. Doesn't matter who we sign elsewhere.

Same it as it always was. Midfield midfield midfield. We will never contend again until we have a top class midfield group. Doesn't matter who we sign elsewhere.

Said the same when people here were obsessed with buying 3CBs, and 2FBs, and also when we missed out on Neves. The priority is midfield and getting people comfortable of the ball there.

We need 2 new midfielders and both of them need to be comfortable of the ball. If we dont do that, we are cooked.

Said the same when people here were obsessed with buying 3CBs, and 2FBs, and also when we missed out on Neves. The priority is midfield and getting people comfortable of the ball there.

We need 2 new midfielders and both of them need to be comfortable of the ball. If we dont do that, we are cooked.
The season is a write off with Case and Eriksen. We need to get 2 in, urgently

No wonder Ratcliffe said this is going to take 3 years to rebuild.

Our off the ball midfield and defensive actions and goalkeeping issues might probably be the same.

Club should rather prioritise a cdm signing than a Rb.

Agreed. I even think Reguilon may be a boring but decent signing, as Shaw and Malacia are highly unreliable. Would love to see us in a situation where we can bring in one or two super signings to sharpen the squad each summer, but the reality is that we need 6-7 players to even have a competitive squad this season. Backup LB and RB, starting CB, starting DM, backup DM (if Casemiro leave) and backup striker are all mandatory signings from my view. For example Reguilon, De Ligt, Mazraoui, Ugarte, Guido Rodriguez and a backup striker would be a boring but necessary window.

However, I really hope we can shift Sancho and be able to make a more high profile signing as well.
What was the point of signing Zirkzee if he's not even capable of being a backup striker? Surely this role is filled.

If we have the funds and are able to offload Sancho and Antony, would Chiesa be worth bringing in? Thiago Motta confirmed Juve are looking to sell!
There's zero chance we offload Antony. Unlikely Sancho can be offloaded either unfortunately. Need a miracle from PSG.

Hopefully this week we’ll some more progress.

AWB sold
De Ligt & Mazzer fee agreed
McTominay bid accepted

Hopefully Rabiot and a DM in as well.
I’m taking it one week at a time but yes, McT out and Ugarte+Rabiot in would be solid moves if we can make it happen before the season’s start.

With a pinch of optimism, I think we can go some way to completing the rebuild next summer with 4 or 5 signings. This is assuming we manage to get Mazraoui, De Ligt and Ugarte over the line this window. A year from now, potentially we could be looking at something like this:

Onana
Bayindir
Heaton/Someone else

Shaw
Amass
Martinez
Branthwaite
De Ligt
Yoro
Dalot
Mazraoui

Wharton
Ugarte
Mainoo
Collyer/New CM
Fernandes
Mount

N. Williams
Garnacho
Amad
Lacey/New winger

Højlund
Zirkzee
Obi-Martin
Wheatley

This would put us in a position where for the forseeable, we would only need to make small adjustments here and there each window.

We are now 5 days from the start of the season and still need another CB, a RWB, a LWB, 2 DM's, and a 20 goal a season striker if we are to challenge on all fronts this season.

With a pinch of optimism, I think we can go some way to completing the rebuild next summer with 4 or 5 signings. This is assuming we manage to get Mazraoui, De Ligt and Ugarte over the line this window. A year from now, potentially we could be looking at something like this:

Onana
Bayindir
Heaton/Someone else

Shaw
Amass
Martinez
Branthwaite
De Ligt
Yoro
Dalot
Mazraoui

Wharton
Ugarte
Mainoo
Collyer/New CM
Fernandes
Mount

N. Williams
Garnacho
Amad
Lacey/New winger

Højlund
Zirkzee
Obi-Martin
Wheatley

This would put us in a position where for the forseeable, we would only need to make small adjustments here and there each window.
Looks good to me.