What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

We could have competed for some of those players if we hadn't wasted so much money on garbage

In:
Ugarte €45m
De ligt €50m
Rabiot (free)
Full back.

Out:
Eriksen €5m
Maguire €30m
Mctominay €25m
AWB €20m
I agree with this. Although, I'd prefer Zubimendi to Ugarte. If we can sell Casemiro as well would be a bonus.

I think this would be good:

Out:

Casemiro 15 Mio €
Eriksen 7 Mio €
Lindelöf 10 Mio €
( Antony) 15 - 20 Mio €

IN:

Ugarte 40 Mio €
Fofana 18 Mio €
CB - De Ligt / Guehi ? €
( Bakayoko) 45 Mio €

What do you think? The prices are discussable

We could have competed for some of those players if we hadn't wasted so much money on garbage
We have obviously massively over paid for players thelast few years and mainly not even great players, or older players and even loans not been great (I mean why do people want Amrabatto stay when he was so average?)

Its also good we are walking away from deals like Braithwaite if we regard the fee unreasonable.....but are we really spending greatly now after the takeover?

I mean Zirzee WASNT £35m was he,the agents fee made hima near £50m signing....thats huge and Leny Yoro we have signed as we have paid way more than our competitors were prepared to. Now we arenegotiating over Ugarte lenghily for a fee that may be closer to the probable fee to a club can use it to pay most of thee fee for what was ournumber one targe...or we move on to someone with a £50m release clause.

Is a way to go in thetransfer windowand wehad loads of injuries last year....so weshall see at theendof the window which I think looks like a better one.....but Iam still not sure wemove on half the players we need to still andbeing ultra critical...not sure signing four players for £160-170m maybebytheendofthe window, especially when two of them are possibly competition/second choices bridges the gap as much as people are already hoping.

I do think Yoro will turn out tobe awonderful signing...the possible others are all good signings,butnot sure they are special.

Still think we will be average at RBandvery reliant on SHaw/Martinezstaying fit and also very reliant on a few players that have been inconsistent for 2/3years...being consistent oryounger players kicking on at an unrealistic level....many of the same problems may remain....still think we can buy a CDM cheaper andnot far offa Ugarte/Zubimendi. I still think we anbuy a goodback up cb cheaper than DeLigt and still feel not signing a top quality winger is a huge mistake.

im hearing many talking about 2nd being target this year....if the window goes as rumoured...still think top four is good

Considering Casemiro leaves (hopefully), not retaining Amrabat and signing only one DMF, likely Ugarte, probably means that we are betting one of the youngsters - Collyer/Oyedele to break into the senior squad as a backup DMF, this season, since we clearly need more than one DMF, all season

Maybe coaching staff and Erik thinks they are ready. Would certainly be awesome news

Considering Casemiro leaves (hopefully), not retaining Amrabat and signing only one DMF, likely Ugarte, probably means that we are betting one of the youngsters - Collyer/Oyedele to break into the senior squad as a backup DMF, this season, since we clearly need more than one DMF, all season

Maybe coaching staff and Erik thinks they are ready. Would certainly be awesome news

I doubt either of those youth players would be 2nd choice for the DM spot. Hopefully both Casemiro and Mctominay leave so we can get 2 in for that spot. Collyer does look ready to be 3rd choice though.

Maybe coaching staff and Erik thinks they are ready. Would certainly be awesome newsn

No we sign 2 for CM

As I said earlier, like this:

think this would be good:

Out:

Casemiro 15 Mio €
Amrabat loan ends
Eriksen 7 Mio €
Lindelöf 10 Mio €
( Antony) 15 - 20 Mio €

IN:

Ugarte 40 Mio €
Fofana 18 Mio €
CB - De Ligt / Guehi ? €
( Bakayoko) 45 Mio €

Feels like De Ligt is inevitable now.

I’d be happy enough if we went into the season with the following;

Defenders
Dalot
AWB
Yoro
De Ligt
Martinez
Evans
Maguire
Shaw
Amass

Midfielders
Ugarte
Mainoo
Mount
Bruno
McTominay

Wingers
Rashford
Garnacho
Amad
Sancho

Strikers
Hojlund
Zirkzee
Wheatley

So selling/loaning;

Malacia, Lindelof, Casemiro, Eriksen, Pellistri, Hannibal, Antony.

If we could get someone like Zubimendi in I’d be happy enough to sell McSauce as well.

This would all come to probably somewhere around 150m net with likely lower wage bill. Great summer if this happens.

Feels like De Ligt is inevitable now.

I’d be happy enough if we went into the season with the following;

Defenders
Dalot
AWB
Yoro
De Ligt
Martinez
Evans
Maguire
Shaw
Amass

Midfielders
Ugarte
Mainoo
Mount
Bruno
McTominay

Wingers
Rashford
Garnacho
Amad
Sancho

Strikers
Hojlund
Zirkzee
Wheatley

So selling/loaning;

Malacia, Lindelof, Casemiro, Eriksen, Pellistri, Hannibal, Antony.

If we could get someone like Zubimendi in I’d be happy enough to sell McSauce as well.

This would all come to probably somewhere around 150m net with likely lower wage bill. Great summer if this happens.
This would be a great window however midfield is incredibly light, if we are getting rid of Casemiro, Amrabat we need two in for two out, so either one stays least preferred option or we go get Zubimendi as well, this one for me is a no brainer, Can play DLP, Number 6 or number 8 and compliments, Ugarte, T Collier, K Mainoo, M Mount, Bruno, S Mctominay. We need 7 options for 3 starting midfield and with Europa League we could easily have 60-65 games again, injuries, suspensions plus we need to learn from last year, we very rarely had anyone on the bench who could change or affect a game until the Fa Cup final when most players returned to fitness.

I have a feeling Sancho and Casemiro will be sold with F Pellistri, Hanibal, V Lindelof and C Eriksen for £90-100m and that would mean we generated £130-140m to add to the actual £100m which was the true transfer budget this summer. I do agree with those fans that said Zirkzee was £50m not £36m because of Agent fees but due to the terms we agreed it’s probably nearer to £20m of cash leaving the United Bank account this summer and another £15m leaving for Lenny Yoro who was also agreed on favourable payment terms, remember with Greenwood being sold for 100% profit this summer the club could probably spend £300-400m if they actually had the cash available which they clearly DO NOT !

The maximum set aside for transfers was the £120m paid in by SJR however some of that money must be used to pay upfront Agent Costs so yes the £75m quoted makes sense if all of our transfers where paid in one instalment this summer, thankfully having Dan Ashworth, Jason Wilcox and Omar Berrada in now means we actually know what we are doing and they have shown in 2-3 weeks just how badly run the club was previously!

I find it bizarre that there is never any talk about him. Talented young English player, last year of contract. Should be an easy deal.
Also homegrown and boyhood United fan. Very quality player and versatile enough to be backup to both Bruno and Mainoo. Different players but could become Eriksen's ideal replacement.

I find it bizarre that there is never any talk about him. Talented young English player, last year of contract. Should be an easy deal.
More importantly in that England Under 21 win last year in the Euros he played DLP, number 6 and number 8, he united through and through and knows how to play multiple positions now plus never gives the ball away.

More importantly in that England Under 21 win last year in the Euros he played DLP, number 6 and number 8, he united through and through and knows how to play multiple positions now plus never gives the ball away.
Add to that he is besties with our new jewel CB and also has friends from his academy days

Unfortunately I just don't see it happening. There will always be a question regarding his physicality, especially in the EPL and the profile of player that usually plays there. Really hope someone takes a punt on him though, class player.

Unfortunately I just don't see it happening. There will always be a question regarding his physicality, especially in the EPL and the profile of player that usually plays there. Really hope someone takes a punt on him though, class player.
Recent examples have proven that if a player is technically gifted enough (Bernardo, Podence, Rico Lewis, etc.), physicality is not a big issue. Ligue Un isn't the weakest in that regard either.

IF finances are as tight as being reported, then I think we need to prioritise a DM and LB. We desperately need a destroyer in midfield and the injury concerns around Shaw and Malacia needs to be addressed. We are not going to challenge for the title this season, top 4 would be best with this squad. We are reasonably covered at CB with the addition of Yoro, and still have Maguire, Lindelof, Evans on standby. Likewise at RB if AWB stays to cover for Dalot. Not ideal, but with Zirkzee and Yoro already in the room then 2 more much needed additions should make a big improvement on last season.

I think this would be good:

Out:

Casemiro 15 Mio €
Eriksen 7 Mio €
Lindelöf 10 Mio €
( Antony) 15 - 20 Mio €

IN:

Ugarte 40 Mio €
Fofana 18 Mio €
CB - De Ligt / Guehi ? €
( Bakayoko) 45 Mio €

What do you think? The prices are discussable
Don’t rate Guehi. He’s not much of an upgrade if any

A lot to be honest, and time is moving on towards the first league game of the new season.

So far we’ve signed a top prospect centre back which I’m very happy about, and a back up striker who is good at hold up play but seems lacking in goals.

At the start of the summer I was excited and optimistic, but that’s dwindling.

We need a defensive midfielder, a fullback, a winger, another centre back and another midfielder.

Sancho is not up to it. Rashford way too inconsistent. Antony not up to it. Fingers crossed Amad has a breakthrough season but we’re hoping.
I’m surprised Wilcox, a former winger, doesn’t see the need.

I previously thought we could get away without signing a fullback but it looks as though Malacias fitness is still in question, so we do.

Basically, I think we need at least another four players to really improve and look like we might challenge the top 3.

IF finances are as tight as being reported, then I think we need to prioritise a DM and LB. We desperately need a destroyer in midfield and the injury concerns around Shaw and Malacia needs to be addressed. We are not going to challenge for the title this season, top 4 would be best with this squad. We are reasonably covered at CB with the addition of Yoro, and still have Maguire, Lindelof, Evans on standby. Likewise at RB if AWB stays to cover for Dalot. Not ideal, but with Zirkzee and Yoro already in the room then 2 more much needed additions should make a big improvement on last season.

Makes me sick we are being forced to make do in certain positions because money wasted has led to major PSR problems this summer

I could be way off… but I just have this feeling Hannibal will be incorporated into the squad.

He has ability and if it could just be refined there’s a squad player in there.
I think it's unlikely. More likely with Collyer fitting what we need.

Still need another CB and a midfielder. Been a good start to the window, but without those two signings will feel like a job half done.

I feel like we will manage to sell, but more likely towards the end of the window when other targets are no longer available and a bit of desperation creeps into other clubs.

A lot to be honest, and time is moving on towards the first league game of the new season.

So far we’ve signed a top prospect centre back which I’m very happy about, and a back up striker who is good at hold up play but seems lacking in goals.

At the start of the summer I was excited and optimistic, but that’s dwindling.

We need a defensive midfielder, a fullback, a winger, another centre back and another midfielder.

Sancho is not up to it. Rashford way too inconsistent. Antony not up to it. Fingers crossed Amad has a breakthrough season but we’re hoping.
I’m surprised Wilcox, a former winger, doesn’t see the need.

I previously thought we could get away without signing a fullback but it looks as though Malacias fitness is still in question, so we do.

Basically, I think we need at least another four players to really improve and look like we might challenge the top 3.

I still want an experienced striker too, however that is definitely well behind CB, DM and versatile FB

I still want an experienced striker too, however that is definitely well behind CB, DM and versatile FB
I’m hoping we see another couple in over the next fortnight. Don’t mind if we do another two after that last minute, but you ideally want to get most in before the season starts.

Attack is my concern. More so a good winger.

I’m hoping we see another couple in over the next fortnight. Don’t mind if we do another two after that last minute, but you ideally want to get most in before the season starts.

Attack is my concern. More so a good winger.

Only wide players I would love to see are unrealistic options like Kvaratskhelia/Williams

Just released.

Interesting watch.

LB, CB, DM and RW is the positions they think should be targeted.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with Ugarte, Mazroui and either De Ligt/Branthwaite.

I could have done with Neves, but we're too broke for that I'm afraid. So we might as well not buy anyone mediocre, and just keep Eriksen for another year.

I'd be happy with Ugarte, Mazroui and either De Ligt/Branthwaite.

I could have done with Neves, but we're too broke for that I'm afraid. So we might as well not buy anyone mediocre, and just keep Eriksen for another year.

I will keep banging the Toney drum, however if he has to stay due to that new players injury then also happy to take those three mentioned

No one is winning titles with Wharton or Branthwaite.

I honestly cant understand the whole high rating of Wharton, this time last year he was at Blackburn preparing for a season in the Championship then he moved to Palace in January and after a few good games for them he is suddenly rated as world class.

Not sure why we are going so hard for a RB when we don't have a single LB we can rely on? Who knows when, if ever, Malacia will play for us again and you'd be lucky to get a 3 week stretch from Shaw, as good as he is, before he's injured.

Not sure why we are going so hard for a RB when we don't have a single LB we can rely on? Who knows when, if ever, Malacia will play for us again and you'd be lucky to get a 3 week stretch from Shaw, as good as he is, before he's injured.

Dalot can also cover LB. So if Shaw is out and Malacia hasn't fully recovered, then Dalot LB and Dumfries RB. Maybe this is the thinking because of the RB market being better than the LB market.

Dalot can also cover LB. So if Shaw is out and Malacia hasn't fully recovered, then Dalot LB and Dumfries RB. Maybe this is the thinking because of the RB market being better than the LB market.
There will probably be some movement of left backs around Europe next summer. Alphonso Davies is nailed on to join Madrid on a free. Even though Mendy has signed a new contract with Madrid, I can't see him just being happy with a bench role.

Bayern will have a left back slot to fill. Maybe we will have more money next summer and CL football to entice a theo hernandez or Mendy from Madrid over to us.