What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Kadioglu, Yoro, De Ligt, Ugarte.....getting those 4 alone would tighten up the defense

I still find it difficult to see where goals are going to come from based on last season....amad, garnacho, rashford, hojlund, antony, pellestri.....none of them are proven consistent goal scorers

we need a legit 1v1 threat on the wing like rashford was two years ago or greenwood before his crap. guys you knew could get you a goal

Who would you like to sign on the wing?

Nico Williams
Khvicha Kvaratskhelia
Rafael Leao
Frimpong

secondary types could be Florian Wirtz or Xavi Simmons

Top two would be dream signings,however only viable if we sold Rashford to PSG, aren't we supposed to be interested in Simons. Thought Frimpong was more of a RWB or am I mistaken

Wharton would be a superb signing who would compliment Ugarte and Mainoo
Wharton & then Ugarte on loan with an option from PSG can work as I think we'll need atleast two CM's if Case, McTom & Eriksen leave. But I always thought we'd take up the option on Amrabat if Case leaves for Saudi & sign Ugarte. However, it would be a dream scenario if we can buy Wharton & get Ugarte on loan as our two midfield additions.

Wharton & then Ugarte on loan with an option from PSG can work as I think we'll need atleast two CM's if Case, McTom & Eriksen leave. But I always thought we'd take up the option on Amrabat if Case leaves for Saudi & sign Ugarte. However, it would be a dream scenario if we can buy Wharton & get Ugarte on loan as our two midfield additions.

Yeah I so wish that was possible but think Utd will keep tabs on Wharton for next season

Kadioglu, Yoro, De Ligt, Ugarte.....getting those 4 alone would tighten up the defense

I still find it difficult to see where goals are going to come from based on last season....amad, garnacho, rashford, hojlund, antony, pellestri.....none of them are proven consistent goal scorers

we need a legit 1v1 threat on the wing like rashford was two years ago or greenwood before his crap. guys you knew could get you a goal

Additionally the season before that when you assess the spread of goals between the wide players, it was only Rashford that contributed through his form. Last season even with such a poor campaign he was only 3 off Garnacho.

Erik Ten Hag i was hoping would be the type of manager to overload the midfield and create through the middle, perhaps he attempted it last season but didn't have the tactical nous to do it successfully.

Unfortunately it means that much of the teams capacity to break down defenses and create chances is going to come from the wide players. Look at the service Hojluind statistically last season was abysmal.

So there's two fundamental issues wide players who aren't creative and also not scoring enough.

Sancho does change the dynamic given his profile but it depends on what Jadon is turning up, if it's the one via Germany then it's sufficient having Amad, Garnacho and Rashford but if it's the lackluster version we are accustomed too with no intensity it's trouble.

It's the €120m release clause or nothing for Neves this summer. It has always been Benfica's stance. It's also a signing that would only make sense if we didn't have Mainoo. I'd be all for paying it up otherwise.

I don't agree with targeting Chiesa either. There are real injury concerns about him and I'm not even sure he would improve us at all. Even if he did, it seems like a pointless risk to take. There are other good winger options on the market.
PSG have just done the deal at €70m for Neves, most likely because they’ve paid the whole amount upfront which is what they do quite frequently.

United would be in an absolute transfer heaven if they get Adam Wharton and Ugarte, one on loan on as a transfer we need two midfielders, Two CB’s, One versatile wing/full back, I’d love Frimpong and in some games we play 343 3412.

Dream Window;
L Yorro, J Branthwaite/M De Ligt. J Frimpong, A Wharton, M Ugarte, J Zirkzee and I Toney?

A Man can dream right !

PSG have just done the deal at €70m for Neves, most likely because they’ve paid the whole amount upfront which is what they do quite frequently.

United would be in an absolute transfer heaven if they get Adam Wharton and Ugarte, one on loan on as a transfer we need two midfielders, Two CB’s, One versatile wing/full back, I’d love Frimpong and in some games we play 343 3412.

Dream Window;
L Yorro, J Branthwaite/M De Ligt. J Frimpong, A Wharton, M Ugarte, J Zirkzee and I Toney?

A Man can dream right !

Is Wharton realistic? What would we have to offer? What's his contract situation?

I think Zirkzee, Yoro, MDL, Ugarte, and a RB would be a great start. May as well wait until next summer for Branthwaite. He'll have one year left on his contract if I'm not mistaken.

Top two would be dream signings,however only viable if we sold Rashford to PSG, aren't we supposed to be interested in Simons. Thought Frimpong was more of a RWB or am I mistaken
he is a wing back technically for Bayer but you could easily just play him at Right wing which is in essence what he played in their 3421 formation

Wharton would be a superb signing who would compliment Ugarte and Mainoo
i suspect after selling Olise, they'd find it quite difficult to warrant the sale of Wharton but he looks a proper player.....he's certainly fits the player profile that Ashworth will want much like him bringing Gordon to Newcastle
Additionally the season before that when you assess the spread of goals between the wide players, it was only Rashford that contributed through his form. Last season even with such a poor campaign he was only 3 off Garnacho.

Erik Ten Hag i was hoping would be the type of manager to overload the midfield and create through the middle, perhaps he attempted it last season but didn't have the tactical nous to do it successfully.

Unfortunately it means that much of the teams capacity to break down defenses and create chances is going to come from the wide players. Look at the service Hojluind statistically last season was abysmal.

So there's two fundamental issues wide players who aren't creative and also not scoring enough.

Sancho does change the dynamic given his profile but it depends on what Jadon is turning up, if it's the one via Germany then it's sufficient having Amad, Garnacho and Rashford but if it's the lackluster version we are accustomed too with no intensity it's trouble.
all the above clearly shows WHY we need to bring in a real quality wide player.....that said, it also shows how important it is to have quality outside backs who can get into the attack and provide the width so wingers can come inside to create those overloads

you don't get that with AWB on the right or Dalot on the left side when Shaw wasn't fit

I think we still need a 2nd CB, at least one CM, a flexible fullback can play left or right, and an attacking playmaker/winger

I’d love to beat Barca to Williams.
Pickup that Turkish fullback
Sign DeLigt OR JB
Ugarte

Depending on budget, an Olmo would be nice
Like this, ambitious, which is what we need.

Solid team. Looks like we should improve in the defence a lot, if we manage to get Ugarte the midfield looks much better, too. We are still quite light at the top, with striker and RW being our weakest positions (followed by RB), and I'm not sure where the goals will come from. But yeah, we are finally targeting the right players that immediately improve our starting XI or offer huge potential, rather than paying 60m+ for squad options, so I'm in awe.
I think our weakest position is still, clearly, and by a long distance, goalkeeper. And unless he takes an enormous step forward this year, it will once again hinder any hope for progress.

Dream Window;

A Man can dream right !

I think we would have to break our transfer record, quite possibly the British transfer record as well for Wharton, in order for Palace to let him leave this summer. I don't think it's happening, in fact I think Wharton will spend a few years at Palace and only move at 23-24 for a big fee, similar to Declan Rice at West Ham, provided his team doesn't get relegated. I also don't believe Wharton and Mainoo can play together in a double pivot, as of now, because from what I've seen and read about the former, he's not a double-pivot or single-pivot #6, and neither is Mainoo. We ideally need a very good, ball-winner, physical #6 behind Kobbie and Bruno who's also a great passer. A player like Carrick was for us. Obviously, we can and probably will have to make compromises, as I'm not sure there's an available player like that out there at the moment, but I don't think Wharton is that player...and for me, neither is Ugarte.

Regarding your dream window, Frimpong is another name I would avoid, unless we are switching to a back 3, which I seriously doubt.

What are we going to wake up to tomorrow? With INEOS in charge every day is like being a spoiled brat on Christmas Eve when transfer windows under the American c*nts was like Christmas Eve in a house where all the money got shot into your parents arms so you ended up hoping for them to nick you something before heading back to school.

So far Varane, Martial, van de Beek, Kambwala and Greenwood left.

Still to sell: AWB, Lindelof, McTominay.

Also: sell Casemiro if there are good offers from Arabia and then bring back Amrabat as squad option at DM. We can't sell Antony so can only hope for loan but no reports of that either. Sell Sancho if there are some tempting offers. Eriksen - have no idea what happens with him.

Zirkzee and Yoro done so hopefully we can buy Ugarte as well and then another CB in de Ligt and that Turkish fullback Kadioglu.

Hope we can swap Antony for Raphina from Barca.They were keen to sign Antony before us.

I think we would have to break our transfer record, quite possibly the British transfer record as well for Wharton, in order for Palace to let him leave this summer. I don't think it's happening, in fact I think Wharton will spend a few years at Palace and only move at 23-24 for a big fee, similar to Declan Rice at West Ham, provided his team doesn't get relegated. I also don't believe Wharton and Mainoo can play together in a double pivot, as of now, because from what I've seen and read about the former, he's not a double-pivot or single-pivot #6, and neither is Mainoo. We ideally need a very good, ball-winner, physical #6 behind Kobbie and Bruno who's also a great passer. A player like Carrick was for us. Obviously, we can and probably will have to make compromises, as I'm not sure there's an available player like that out there at the moment, but I don't think Wharton is that player...and for me, neither is Ugarte.

Regarding your dream window, Frimpong is another name I would avoid, unless we are switching to a back 3, which I seriously doubt.
Wharton will not cost more than £60-65m maximum, his wages are 40k per week and the lad is from the North, the days of young talented English players with less than half a Premier League going for £100m+ are over, the money is simply not in the game any more, if Jao Neves is being completed by PSG for £59m(€70m) then Wharton may even be more likely to be available for £50-55m transfer value which would represent an £30-35m net profit for Palace.

Wharton will not cost more than £60-65m maximum, his wages are 40k per week and the lad is from the North, the days of young talented English players with less than half a Premier League going for £100m+ are over, the money is simply not in the game any more, if Jao Neves is being completed by PSG for £59m(€70m) then Wharton may even be more likely to be available for £50-55m transfer value which would represent an £30-35m net profit for Palace.
You're wrong here. Wharton (who only signed in January) will be worth whatever Palace value him at, similar to Branthwaite at Everton. PSG may have been able to drive down the Neves price but that doesn't mean Palace have to sell for less than they feel necessary. Although I do agree that he should only cost around 60m

Two players in each position across the front 3, six players to cover the midfield 3 and two in each defensive position. Along with some youth backups should be more than enough for us to go into the next season.

We've got the forward line covered, can even afford to sell Sancho/Pellistri. Midfield needs a lot of work and defense needs a bit of a overhaul.
  • 2 CDMs -- Established midfield destroyer + Young player for cheap in a similar mould to play backup.
  • 1 CM -- Someone to rotate with Mainoo, Mount and Bruno. Similar skillset to Mainoo.
  • 1 RCB -- Experienced but not too old, more of a physical presence to play with Licha. Yoro rotates with RCB, Megs/Shaw rotate with Licha.
  • 1 FB -- Full back versatile enough to play LB/RB, replacement for AWB. Kadioglu is a name that sticks out.

Add Yoro and Neves to that list, sell Maguire, Lindelof, Casemiro, Sancho, and McTominay let Ericsson go.

I think we will get two CBs. I thought it will be De Ligt + either Yoro or Branthwaite. Looks like Yoro is done so I'd imagine Brantwaite won't happen.

I can only see us getting Neves if other sales go well and we get ok money for the players you mentioned above + maybe a Rashford.

It's been a positive start to the window though. DVB gone, Greenwood gone and a couple of good players in. So much smoother than previous windows already.

Any good left footed RW's now that Greenwood has gone?

I can only see Bakoyoko, Kudus as a target.

I don't know if Kubo is good enough and we didnt sign Olise.

I think we have Shea Lacey that may take that place.

Guler if he can be tempted out of Real Madrid?

Last edited:

As we’ve seen with Branthwaite the reset on transfer fees hasn’t happened yet, understandably teams don’t want to be the first to set a new benchmark. The likes of Branthwaite and Wharton will only be sold for massively inflated fees this summer, might be different in a year or two.

A LB, another CB and a CM who can play out from deep. I'm surprised we dropped interest in Ferdi, he can play both in the middle of the park and as a LB. Looks very good technically too and given he's from the Turkish league, would be cheap.

they just signed him for £22m in january so he won't be going anywhere this summer...best chance you have is for next summer and Palace will make a healthy profit on this kid. He will cost every bit of £75-80m.

Still need a first-choice striker, a first-choice holding midfielder, a backup midfielder, a backup right back, and a starting central defender.

This is assuming that we're looking to sell Lindelof, AWB, and McTominay.

In

Zirkzee ✅
Yoro ✅
De Ligt
Kadioglu
Ugarte
Amrabat
Toney

Out (sold)

Kambawala
Wan Bissaka
Lindelof
Van de Beek
Casemiro
Sancho
Pellistri

Another CB (De Ligt)
A DM (Ugarte)
A LB (Ferdi Kadıoğlu)

Anyone else would be a bonus as that would already be an amazing window to be honest.

I don't think we can go into the season with only one CM signing especially if it's Ugarte. We desperately need more ball players in that position and having Mainoo as our only reliable CM in possession will just mean we will continue to give away the ball cheaply in midfield.

I also don't like our wing options but now that Sancho is back in the squad we might decide to save our money for a year and not sign a wide player but we really need one.

Another CB and LB given Licha and Shaw have horrendous injury records. Last season was nightmare and high probability it will repeat again next season.

We can't afford to rely on to stay fit next season and quality back ups are required

In

Zirkzee ✅
Yoro ✅
De Ligt
Kadioglu
Ugarte
Amrabat
Toney

Out (sold)

Kambawala ✅
Wan Bissaka
Lindelof
Van de Beek ✅
Casemiro
Sancho
Pellistri

Amrabat is nowhere near the quality we need on the team, and cost way too much as a backup option.

I hope they will focus a bit on the midfield as well. We were being overrun in the midfield all last season. I guess it depends first on who we can ship off among the midfielders. If Cas and Eriksen goes, for instance.

In

Zirkzee - 35 ✅
Yoro - 52 ✅
De Ligt - 42
Ugarte - 5 (Loan to buy)
Neves - 75
Kayode - 25

Total - 235m

Out

Kambwala - 10 ✅
Greenwood - 25 ✅
McTominay - 30
Casemiro - 25
AWB - 20
Lindelof - 10
Eriksen - 5
Alvaro - 5 ✅
Forson - 1 ✅
+ Varane, Martial released ✅

Total - 130m + big wage reduction

About 1/3 of the way there now…

In

Zirkzee - 35 ✅
Yoro - 52 ✅
De Ligt - 42
Ugarte - 5 (Loan to buy)
Neves - 75
Kayode - 25

Total - 235m

Out

Kambwala - 10 ✅
Greenwood - 25 ✅
McTominay - 30
Casemiro - 25
AWB - 20
Lindelof - 10
Eriksen - 5
Alvaro - 5 ✅
Forson - 1 ✅
+ Varane, Martial released ✅

Total - 130m + big wage reduction

About 1/3 of the way there now…
Would love to see us swoop for Neves, although I can't see PSG allowing us to loan or buy Ugarte from them if we did. What a team we would be building if we could though.