Westminster Politics

a- Those who didn't have it weren't studying hard enough
b- Breathing and living is different. At age 70 (and that will the pensionable age for the likes of myself) you can barely enjoy life anymore. The younger generation will be lucky to have a pension at all
c- most low unemployment is down to zero hour contracts which are a notch above slavery work. Also wait until the last big thank you gift from the baby boomers kicks in (Brexit).

Its true that kids today can have their priorities wrong. There again who can blame them? Its one horrible life they live in were everything is going up to the roof, doors are closing down on them and the chance of true independence is getting worse as worse.

Since you're the generation who hate entitlement then maybe its time for the government to bring austerity to pensioners through savage cuts on the pensions and elderly care. Surely that won't hurt the 'tough as nails' generation (actually the generation before built the nation and won the war but hey, that's a detail right?)

a) There didn't exist the possibility for most to continue studying, most people left school at 16, some went to a polytechnic/college till they were 18. Most had to start earning a living as soon as possible, most people's parents couldn't afford for their children to continue their education even if it was available.
b) Agree but not only does the life expectancy increase but the health of those people have also increased. A man of 60 years old was an old man fifty years ago and in poorer health than a 60 year old man now, it's all relative. Even I had sort of given up ever having a state pension so got a private pension in the 80s and also opted out serps, it's not something new.
c) Employment - but what was it like back then, I changed jobs all the time when I was younger just to earn and extra £1 a week. You know what I think of Brexit but the people who are being blamed for this is the same generation that were longing for the EU/EEC/CM in the 60s and were fighting the establishment they themselves hated at that time, as they get older their priorities change.

The first time I voted, I voted Labour (the only time) because I was fed up with studying by A-levels by candlelight , having petrol rationing and all the rest of the crap we had to put up with in the early 70s.
I've never had anything from the government other than a tiny child allowance for my kids, no family credit no social security no unemployment benefit but at the same time paid a fortune in income tax over the years, am I complaining about that.
Whatever I have achieved in life is down to me, and what good or bad things have happened is down to me, not previous generations or different governments or anyone

The difference I see today between the generations from back then and now is always trying to find someone to blame but doing nothing about it.

This also leads me to your last point, if people want to have good pensions and good social care, good infrastructure etc, it has to be paid for and the only way it can really be paid for is for the general public to pay for it through their taxes but no-one wants to, so whether the Tories or Labour are in government no-one wants to pay more taxes. You may get people saying I might consider paying a penny in the pound more tax, it's not a penny that's needed , it's much more than that, but no political party will get voted in with that in their manifesto.

They literally cannot stop telling lies about Corbyn.

This stuff is appalling. I don't know how it can be done but there has to be some kind of recompense , some kind of deterrent against this flagrant lying. It is ridiculous that you can just spout such nonsense.

Oh 'mea culpa ', apology is undoubtedly hidden and we go on to spouting more rubbish that's funny apparently because he's been teleported from the 18th century .

Obviously people from past generations had a lot of problems we don't need to deal with now. I don't think anyone's denying that. I've heard plenty of tales from older relatives of having to share bedrooms with multiple siblings, and of grandparents having outdoor toilets etc.

But what was also true from those generations was that there was generally a sort of upwards trajectory - if people worked hard they could generally do well, and move to a level of living which exceeded that of the generation who'd come before them. Jobs were also aplenty, to the point where older people will often tell me how they could walk out of one job on a Friday and have a new one the following week.

Now, again, that's not to paint a picture of everything being rosy - I know many of those jobs were worked in appalling conditions that we'd scoff at now, and that there was still plenty of deprivation and unemployment, as evidenced during the Winter Crisis and during the Thatcher years.

But what's also true for current generations is that work is often becoming more and more difficult to find, and that housing prospects are pretty grim. We're probably going to have a generation of people who're much worse off than their parents were, and who can't afford their own properties and spend their lives living in debt. All the while dealing with significant environmental problems and a whole host of economic issues that have largely been fostered on us by previous generations.

They literally cannot stop telling lies about Corbyn.

The first comment under the tweet with quite a few likes to it...No wonder politics can make the mockery out of public when average IQ of the population is less than that of the table.

This stuff is appalling. I don't know how it can be done but there has to be some kind of recompense , some kind of deterrent against this flagrant lying. It is ridiculous that you can just spout such nonsense.

Oh 'mea culpa ', apology is undoubtedly hidden and we go on to spouting more rubbish that's funny apparently because he's been teleported from the 18th century .

This kind of stuff doesn't go unnoticed on social media, particularly Twitter, and while there's a generation of old farts who don't understand/like/get the power of it yet - social media really will shape the outcome of elections far more prominently than anything on the TV or in the news.

The only way to impact politicians is to affect them in the polls, and I think future generations won't be so kind.

The first comment under the tweet with quite a few likes to it...No wonder politics can make the mockery out of public when average IQ of the population is less than that of the table.

What a joke :lol:

Moggy obviously fending off a lawsuit there.

£20,000 for a house in 1981. Must have been some house considering how my parents paid £4,500 for a brand new 3 bedroomed semi-detached house at roughly the same time. & guess what millennials ? They did it by making sacrifices & saving hard for a deposit, just like my wife & I did nearly 10 years later when we bought our house for £30,000, which is now worth £170,000. Who knows, maybe one day this working hard = rewards might come back into fashion.

Tories have no resorted to creating bots/catfish accounts of "black british" people on twitter, literally pathetic :lol:

for the record, a house from 1991 rising from £30,000 to £170,000 is around £100,000 above inflation

all you have to do is make 3 times as much in inflated wages than the previous generations did, why are you so lazy millennials

£20,000 for a house in 1981. Must have been some house considering how my parents paid £4,500 for a brand new 3 bedroomed semi-detached house at roughly the same time. & guess what millennials ? They did it by making sacrifices & saving hard for a deposit, just like my wife & I did nearly 10 years later when we bought our house for £30,000, which is now worth £170,000. Who knows, maybe one day this working hard = rewards might come back into fashion.

My mum and dad bought a 3 bedroom house in S.Wales for approx £120k in 1997 with a deposit of £6k, they then sold it in 2004 for approx £300k.

Now, to get a house locally I need minimum £30k deposit, and that's for a 10% deposit on a house with more than 1 bedroom.

If you think it's reasonable to save £30k from the age of 21 (after university) when the average salary is £28-32k a year (approx 1700-2000 a month after tax), take out 800 for rent & bills, 300 for travel, 200 for food, 150-200 for things like clothes/haircuts/nights out, you're left with about £200 a month.
It will take you years to save even £10k.

Thankfully I earn a good income, and my parents are able to help me with my deposit however without that I would be struggling very badly.

Well done on highlighting the exact points people are making here.:lol:

for the record, a house from 1991 rising from £30,000 to £170,000 is around £100,000 above inflation

all you have to do is make 3 times as much in inflated wages than the previous generations did, why are you so lazy millennials

Built an extension in 2002 which cost over £20k. The subsequent wage increases from my wages, & my wife's, over the previous 10 years, along with money we'd saved, meant we were able to remortgage.

Hope this helps.

being generous and saying the extension added £25000 (and the £25k inflating at normal rates) of value to the house in 2002 it's a mere £70,000 above inflation, wtf are you all complaining about

My mum and dad bought a 3 bedroom house in S.Wales for approx £120k in 1997 with a deposit of £6k, they then sold it in 2004 for approx £300k.

Now, to get a house locally I need minimum £30k deposit, and that's for a 10% deposit on a house with more than 1 bedroom.

If you think it's reasonable to save £30k from the age of 21 (after university) when the average salary is £28-32k a year (approx 1700-2000 a month after tax), take out 800 for rent & bills, 300 for travel, 200 for food, 150-200 for things like clothes/haircuts/nights out, you're left with about £200 a month.
It will take you years to save even £10k.

Thankfully I earn a good income, and my parents are able to help me with my deposit however without that I would be struggling very badly.

Where do you live if an average house is around the £300k mark ?

:lol: I would say this is one of the best satirical posts on the Caf.

Yeah, capitalism rewards hard work. It's meritocratic.

https://news.sky.com/story/meet-dorsen-8-who-mines-cobalt-to-make-your-smartphone-work-10784120

It reminds me of those stories you see on Reddit

“I managed to pay off all my debts and buy a house within 2 years!”*

*by living with my parents, not paying for bills or food and receiving an inheritance from my deceased grandparents.

Hope it helps though xo.

Where do you live if an average house is around the £300k mark ?

Ascot, id imagine the average is actually higher in Ascot itself, but I’ve been looking at surrounding areas and the outskirts of London and £350k is about average.

Relocation is out of the question considering working in London you receive a higher income due to the cost of living.
I have no family anywhere up north, and quite frankly I like the south.

It would be unrealistic to expect everyone to move just because it’s hard to secure a deposit on a decent house.

Having said all of that, I am actually in a very good position and should be able to secure my house and pay off my debts (except student loans) within the next 2 years - for those on lower incomes it’s much, much harder.
So your generalisation of millennials is satirical at this point, because you’re only showing that you don’t understand how much harder it is now.

Ascot, id imagine the average is actually higher in Ascot itself, but I’ve been looking at surrounding areas and the outskirts of London and £350k is about average.

Relocation is out of the question considering working in London you receive a higher income due to the cost of living.
I have no family anywhere up north, and quite frankly I like the south.

It would be unrealistic to expect everyone to move just because it’s hard to secure a deposit on a decent house.

Having said all of that, I am actually in a very good position and should be able to secure my house and pay off my debts (except student loans) within the next 2 years - for those on lower incomes it’s much, much harder.
So your generalisation of millennials is satirical at this point, because you’re only showing that you don’t understand how much harder it is now.

House prices have always been significantly higher down south, so I will concede that people living in certain parts of the UK will find it far more difficult to gain a step on the housing ladder. But that's been the case for as long as I can remember. One option open to younger people is to take the initial mortgage out over a longer period, thus reducing the monthly payments. As their income increases over the years, they have the option to take out a mortgage & reduce the term, but make higher payments. Those people in that video clip come across as middle class, hence the reason I remarked about a house costing £20,000 in 1981.
My posts on here might come across as a generalisation of millenials, but I have 2 children who fall into the millenial bracket & both are like chalk & cheese. My son, who is 28, left college at 17 because he didn't feel confident enough in himself to pass his exams, plus he had no idea of what he wanted to do. He found work in one of the local warehouses & proved himself to be a good, reliable, worker. 11 years later he now has a managerial position, & quite a considerable increase in pay. Him & his partner, along with their 3 children, are hoping to have saved enough for a deposit on a house sometime this year. My Daughter, who is 33, is quite the opposite. Left school at 16 with some decent GCSE grades, but wanted to find work asap so she & her friends could party all the time. She & her partner also have 3 children, but they live a totally different life to my son & his wife. Always spending money they haven't got, then coming to mum & dad asking us to bail them out. Her face spends a lot of time glued to her phone & she's constantly distracted by it. Other than our grandchildren, she has very little purpose in her life & basically just lives for the moment. So I've got a first hand account of the good, & the bad, millenials & what they're capable of. The worrying thing for me though, is that I know my Daughter isn't the only one out there with these negative traits.

being generous and saying the extension added £25000 (and the £25k inflating at normal rates) of value to the house in 2002 it's a mere £70,000 above inflation, wtf are you all complaining about

Let's be really generous .

Sold my flat in the south for £22k in 1981 - identical flat which no doubt now has central heating and other mod-cons like fitted kitchen and so on saw was sold for £288k recently. Yes house prices have increased out of proportion with wages and inflation but...
One year's Interest on the 22k back in the day was £3746 - interest today on the £288k would be £4896.
You didn't get fixed interest rates then, you rode the waves as you went up and down.
Spot the difference.

Let's be really generous .

Sold my flat in the south for £22k in 1981 - identical flat which no doubt now has central heating and other mod-cons like fitted kitchen and so on saw was sold for £288k recently. Yes house prices have increased out of proportion with wages and inflation but...
One year's Interest on the 22k back in the day was £3746 - interest today on the £288k would be £4896.
You didn't get fixed interest rates then, you rode the waves as you went up and down.
Spot the difference.
*terms and conditions apply, interest rates increase to 5% after 62 months

Sounds like a rip-off, but anyway even at 5% it's only 4 times higher than in the early 80s and wages have increased considerably more than that, plus you know in advance what the rate is going to be.
houses have increased way above wage inflation, the interest rate being fixed is not going to help you when you can't even afford the deposit and the monthly payments are your entire wage

Last edited:
houses have increased way above wage inflation, the interest rate being fixed is not going to help you when you can't even afford the deposit

I agree about the house prices but I had to find a deposit (30%) as well when I bought that flat most of which I also borrowed. And no my grandparents didn't leave me an inheritance because none of them ever owned their own house.

I agree about the house prices but I had to find a deposit (30%) as well when I bought that flat most of which I also borrowed. And no my grandparents didn't leave me an inheritance because none of them ever owned their own house.
inflation of £200,000 (300%) above average or a 30% deposit, i wonder what the kids would rather have