Westminster Politics

. Any sort of housing

. A working healthcare system

. A transport system that doesn't break down and cost a fortune to use.

. A working social care system for my disabled brother

And I'm one of the lucky one's as I live in a well off tory area.

So what am I, or my fellow older generation, doing to help facilitate all of your grievances above ?

So what am I, or my fellow older generation, doing to help facilitate all of your grievances above ?
This

conservatives-logo---lbc-1468834487-editorial-long-form-0.jpg

If we're fighting amongst ourselves then we've already lost. This is exactly what they want us to do.

I'm a lifelong Labour voter, & believe it or not life has been pretty shit under a lot of labour governments.
I very much dislike the old Labour government(I grew up with mostly New Labour)and what has really caused the problems we see today is neoliberalism but the last election we had a chance of trying something different with a Left Labour Party and old voters still flocked to the tories.
If we're fighting amongst ourselves then we've already lost. This is exactly what they want us to do.
Your right but where your sitting in a NHS therapy session listening to a person in their early 20's talk about how they cut their face because they are so depressed and the only reply by the heath service(Because of the cuts)is to essentially do nothing then it's very difficult to not be frustrated by just how much old voters have screwed over the younger generations.

Again it's more frustration that anything else.

So what makes you think that we oldies had it better at your age ? Even if my parents could have afforded it, I'd have never have gotten a university place for the simple fact that it was only the elite classes that were privileged enough to be able to send their children to such places. Despite being quite bright when I left school at 15, my early adult years consisted of a lot of low-paying, dead-end jobs, & quite a few periods of unemployment. It was only through hard work & endeavour did I eventually forge a career in media sales & marketing, followed by a position in finance. I've lived through various different governments, & tbh they've all been pretty much the same insofar that the governments themselves haven't really helped me achieve what I have, that's been down to my own individual efforts & commitment. I'd say that the older generation is probably more critical of the attitude of the younger people as opposed to wanting to see them not reach the high standard of living that a lot of us enjoy. Life is tough if you're not a multi-millionaire, as I expect most of us aren't. But it doesn't stop you from making a good life for yourself without blaming the rich, the establishment, & previous generations.

The short answer to that is yes. You had free tertiary education, you could easily afford a roof over your head and the NHS was in much better state than it is now. The funny thing is that countries who are way poorer then the UK does offer free tertiary education, they have a better NHS and does offer a roof over their children's head. Which really makes me wonder. Why the UK can't offer the same to its young generation and why the older generation are so well off while the younger generation are struggling so much.

My grandfather suffered alot in his life. WW2 in Malta made London look like a 5 star resort. My old man fought during WW2, he moved out of poverty, built his own business, raised a family 3 of whom were absolute devilish as children and was central in every big decision our country has taken from independence to the republic. According to him his biggest achievement was that he left a better world then he found and gave the younger generation more opportunities than he can ever dreamt of having in his youth. Can the British baby boomers say the same? I much doubt it.

The conservative party is hiring hundreds of people to professionally astroturf on twitter and other social networks. Expect a story on channel 4 a few weeks after May's local elections about how the conservative party ignored electoral funding rules, again, then nothing being done about it, again.

Isn't that what people are supposed to do?

Easily one of the most disheartening things about modern political discourse is how everyone seems to view political parties like football teams where the point is seemingly not to discuss and debate policy but instead just cheer them on in case the other side benefits if you don't.

The conservative party is hiring hundreds of people to professionally astroturf on twitter and other social networks.
Be interesting to see if this has any effect, one of the reasons why Momentum social media did so well in the last election was because it was genuinely shared (a family member or friend shared the video) rather than the video simply been posted a million times by organisers .

So according to Theresa May no UK primeminister could ever agree to something primeminster May agreed to two months ago (Let's not forgot Arlenes last minute call back then too... Agreed - Amended - Agreed - Forgotten)

Give it to Giggsy!

If the Brexit brigade do get rid of May then would they have a workable majority?

Im assuming not - they are a minority party anyway and the DUP would surely ditch them if a hard brexit means a hard boarder - not to mention mogg or johnson probably struggling to get the centrist element of the conservatives in line.

in short does toppling may make an election virtually inevitable?

And if so then presumably parliament basically grinds to a halt for 3 months - then they bugger off for summer / conferences for another 3 months leaving around 6 months to basically sort out (probably a new type of post election) brexit.... though i do wonder if Labour might even offer a 2nd referendum in an election - or if the libs may make it a condition of propping up a party?

Last edited:
It’s a shit policy though, if you’re a landlord you don’t want pets, never get rid of the smell. Force me to take them and I’ll up the rent by £100 a month. The money a tenant is spending on a pet would be better used saving for a deposit on their own place.

It’s a shit policy though, if you’re a landlord you don’t want pets, never get rid of the smell. Force me to take them and I’ll up the rent by £100 a month. The money a tenant is spending on a pet would be better used saving for a deposit on their own place.
Difficult to save up in a culture where rent is already too high and all the houses that aren’t utter shit holes are bought up by landlords.

Edit: not saying you’re one of the unscrupulous ones, since my last one wasn’t. But my current landlord is an utter wanker who has multiple properties and once tried to brag how he got one from under a young couple’s nose by paying a grand more at the last minute. As if I would applaud him for it.

1. You can get rid of the smell.
2. Pets cost on average around £1200 a year, how many years would that take for a deposit?
3. In light of 3, why should people who will never be able afford a house also have to miss out on the joy of owning a pet?

It’s not like they’re saying “from now on landlords have to accept the damage that pets cause”. Kids cause a tonne of damage too, they’re the tenants responsibility. You’d expect a tenant to pay for the damage if their kid shit up the wall, no difference with a dog.

1. You can get rid of the smell.
2. Pets cost on average around £1200 a year, how many years would that take for a deposit?
3. In light of 3, why should people who will never be able afford a house also have to miss out on the joy of owning a pet?

It’s not like they’re saying “from now on landlords have to accept the damage that pets cause”. Kids cause a tonne of damage too, they’re the tenants responsibility. You’d expect a tenant to pay for the damage if their kid shit up the wall, no difference with a dog.
You’ll *never* get rid of the hair or smell totally, not without replacing every soft fixture.

I wouldn’t take kids either. Two professionals, vetted. It’s the landlords prerogative.

And I don’t know where you are, but you can get a nice new build two bed apartment where I am for £70k. That’s a £3.5k deposit, so 2 and a bit years of your pet ownership. People say it’s impossible to get on the ladder, it’s not, it might be to get a 4 bed detached in London but not for an entry level flat up North.

You’ll *never* get rid of the hair or smell totally, not without replacing every soft fixture.

I wouldn’t take kids either. Two professionals, vetted. It’s the landlords prerogative.

And I don’t know where you are, but you can get a nice new build two bed apartment where I am for £70k. That’s a £3.5k deposit, so 2 and a bit years of your pet ownership. People say it’s impossible to get on the ladder, it’s not, it might be to get a 4 bed detached in London but not for an entry level flat up North.
And your definition of professionals is?

The house we are renting... one room has an atrocious smell of cigerrate smoke that I can't get rid of.

That's my 1 year old's bedroom

feck pets. But feck smokers more.

Unless they're vetted professional smokers, obviously.
Yes. If they are professional smokers, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

£70k around here would buy a caravan-style bungalow. My friend recently bought a 2 bed apartment for £250k (albeit in a very nice area)

Outside london

The short answer to that is yes. You had free tertiary education, you could easily afford a roof over your head and the NHS was in much better state than it is now. The funny thing is that countries who are way poorer then the UK does offer free tertiary education, they have a better NHS and does offer a roof over their children's head. Which really makes me wonder. Why the UK can't offer the same to its young generation and why the older generation are so well off while the younger generation are struggling so much.

My grandfather suffered alot in his life. WW2 in Malta made London look like a 5 star resort. My old man fought during WW2, he moved out of poverty, built his own business, raised a family 3 of whom were absolute devilish as children and was central in every big decision our country has taken from independence to the republic. According to him his biggest achievement was that he left a better world then he found and gave the younger generation more opportunities than he can ever dreamt of having in his youth. Can the British baby boomers say the same? I much doubt it.

I came into this world in 1957 when the country was still decimated by the after effects of WW2. There was very little social housing let alone affordable ones. 13 of us lived in a 3 bedroomed terraced house such was the housing shortage, with just one cold water tap, no such thing as central heating, & an outside toilet. 10 years later my parents managed to obtain a council house, but that was only because the house we were living in had to be demolished. At age 11 I went to a brand new, state-of-the-art, high school. Most of the pupils there were very much like myself, all from working class families who's father's/mother's had low paid, menial jobs. As good as the school was in appearance & facilities, the level of teaching was highly sub-standard. Disinterested & demotivated teachers teaching disinterested & demotivated children. So this 'free tertiary education' you speak about might as well have been on the moon as far as we were concerned because there was zero chance any of us were going to see the inside of a university (not unless we were fortunate enough to get a job cleaning the toilets that is). The middle & upper-classes occupied most of the places in the UK universities, that's because most of the pupils would have gone to private schools beforehand & received a far superior education. As far as the system was concerned, we were just the new cannon fodder for all the shitty jobs that awaited us when we left school.

The 70's & 80's were turbulent times socially. Power cuts, strikes, recession, riots, high unemployment, high inflation. So this better world your father had left still had yet to come to fruition by the time I was in my 30's. However, I still took whatever work that came my way in order to pay the bills, feed my family etc. & all the time I was working, I was paying my taxes & national insurance so that whatever government was in power could continue to build a better world for my children. It was really only in the 90's did things start picking up. My employer at the time in the late 90's paid for me to obtain the professional qualifications that were not accessible to me when I was a teenager. This enabled me to move up to a higher paid job, which in turn meant I was able to provide a better life for my family.

Overall, my adult life has consisted of being flexible, hard-working, patient, & prudent with money. I've never felt entitled, but that's probably because no one has ever told me I'm entitled to anything, & that if you want something so badly, you have to earn it. I've lived through various different governments, & the one thing I've learned is that they don't determine how your life turns out......That's all down to you. So if things are not going the way you want them to, you firstly need to look internally at why it's not going to plan. & if you're totally honest with yourself you'll see it's you that needs to change, & the establishment, baby-boomers etc, are not really of any consequence, nor are they relative to how anyone's life pans out.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/nov/21/english-class-system-shaped-in-schools

I came into this world in 1957 when the country was still decimated by the after effects of WW2. There was very little social housing let alone affordable ones. 13 of us lived in a 3 bedroomed terraced house such was the housing shortage, with just one cold water tap, no such thing as central heating, & an outside toilet. 10 years later my parents managed to obtain a council house, but that was only because the house we were living in had to be demolished. At age 11 I went to a brand new, state-of-the-art, high school. Most of the pupils there were very much like myself, all from working class families who's father's/mother's had low paid, menial jobs. As good as the school was in appearance & facilities, the level of teaching was highly sub-standard. Disinterested & demotivated teachers teaching disinterested & demotivated children. So this 'free tertiary education' you speak about might as well have been on the moon as far as we were concerned because there was zero chance any of us were going to see the inside of a university (not unless we were fortunate enough to get a job cleaning the toilets that is). The middle & upper-classes occupied most of the places in the UK universities, that's because most of the pupils would have gone to private schools beforehand & received a far superior education. As far as the system was concerned, we were just the new cannon fodder for all the shitty jobs that awaited us when we left school.

The 70's & 80's were turbulent times socially. Power cuts, strikes, recession, riots, high unemployment, high inflation. So this better world your father had left still had yet to come to fruition by the time I was in my 30's. However, I still took whatever work that came my way in order to pay the bills, feed my family etc. & all the time I was working, I was paying my taxes & national insurance so that whatever government was in power could continue to build a better world for my children. It was really only in the 90's did things start picking up. My employer at the time in the late 90's paid for me to obtain the professional qualifications that were not accessible to me when I was a teenager. This enabled me to move up to a higher paid job, which in turn meant I was able to provide a better life for my family.

Overall, my adult life has consisted of being flexible, hard-working, patient, & prudent with money. I've never felt entitled, but that's probably because no one has ever told me I'm entitled to anything, & that if you want something so badly, you have to earn it. I've lived through various different governments, & the one thing I've learned is that they don't determine how your life turns out......That's all down to you. So if things are not going the way you want them to, you firstly need to look internally at why it's not going to plan. & if you're totally honest with yourself you'll see it's you that needs to change, & the establishment, baby-boomers etc, are not really of any consequence, nor are they relative to how anyone's life pans out.
Wow. What incredible pearls of wisdom.

Last edited:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/nov/21/english-class-system-shaped-in-schools

You might not felt it but compared to the young generation you are. You had free tertiary education if you wanted to, you had cheap housing, you had a stable job, you had the ability to move anywhere in the EU if you wanted to and you knew that if anything happened to you'll be taken care off. Ah and you'll retire at an age were you can actually enjoy life afterwards. I don't see that as an entitlement, more the fruit of the hardwork done by the previous generation to make sure you're end better then they did. I happen to remember that generation and I assure you that's how most used to see it.

These basic things are not there for the current generation. Tertiary education is highly expensive, its almost impossible for them to buy a decent house, stable jobs with actual rights are a rare thing and soon enough they will lose FOM and probably free NHS and the chances of pensions as well. As said before, both the generation before you and after you had it worse off then you did. Whether its your fault, well that's debatable. However, on a personal level I think that a generation can only gauge their own success and failure by analysing whether they left a better world after them or not.

I'm neither a millennial nor a UK citizen. In my country, my parent's generation worked hard, they gave us more opportunities then we did and they still vote to leave a better world as compared to what they found instead of taking care of their own. Hence why we're genuinely grateful for that. Malta is way poorer then the UK but its a way better country to raise your children then here. Free childcare, free tertiary education, the NHS is not under threat and young people actually afford roofs over their heads which are owned by them. On the other hand we can't afford bombing countries to appease the Americans, protecting pensioners in everything, bankroll the monarchy, giving too many jobs to the boys or having the biggest financial centre in the world.

Last edited:

God I really fecking hate landlords.

The idea that we have a free press in this country needs to die.
Fecking shame I can't see Corbyn getting in as PM.

The idea that we have a free press in this country needs to die.
Fecking shame I can't see Corbyn getting in as PM.

Number 40 in the world free press rankings. Shameful for a country that's had a democracy as long as we have. The Government is free to anyone who will push the right wing agendas of Murdoch, Rothschild, Dacre and Desmond.

If Corbyn does get in, which I really think he might with the state of the Tories right now and changing situations of the demographics, the first thing he will do is announce Leveson 2. Whereas Thatcher made her reputation bringing the Union's to their knees at a time when some felt they were running the country, what the country needs more than anything right now is a Prime Minister who will rule over the press with an iron fist and bring back a balance of power.

Number 40 in the world free press rankings. Shameful for a country that's had a democracy as long as we have. The Government is free to anyone who will push the right wing agendas of Murdoch, Rothschild, Dacre and Desmond.

If Corbyn does get in, which I really think he might with the state of the Tories right now and changing situations of the demographics, the first thing he will do is announce Leveson 2. Whereas Thatcher made her reputation bringing the Union's to their knees at a time when some felt they were running the country, what the country needs more than anything right now is a Prime Minister who will rule over the press with an iron fist and bring back a balance of power.

To put it in perspective France are 39 in the list... and overall there are far far worse places to live... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freedom_indices

You might not felt it but compared to the young generation you are. You had free tertiary education if you wanted to, you had cheap housing, you had a stable job, you had the ability to move anywhere in the EU if you wanted to and you knew that if anything happened to you'll be taken care off. Ah and you'll retire at an age were you can actually enjoy life afterwards. I don't see that as an entitlement, more the fruit of the hardwork done by the previous generation to make sure you're end better then they did. I happen to remember that generation and I assure you that's how most used to see it.

These basic things are not there for the current generation. Tertiary education is highly expensive, its almost impossible for them to buy a decent house, stable jobs with actual rights are a rare thing and soon enough they will lose FOM and probably free NHS and the chances of pensions as well. As said before, both the generation before you and after you had it worse off then you did. Whether its your fault, well that's debatable. However, on a personal level I think that a generation can only gauge their own success and failure by analysing whether they left a better world after them or not.

I'm neither a millennial nor a UK citizen. In my country, my parent's generation worked hard, they gave us more opportunities then we did and they still vote to leave a better world as compared to what they found instead of taking care of their own. Hence why we're genuinely grateful for that. Malta is way poorer then the UK but its a way better country to raise your children then here. Free childcare, free tertiary education, the NHS is not under threat and young people actually afford roofs over their heads which are owned by them. On the other hand we can't afford bombing countries to appease the Americans, protecting pensioners in everything, bankroll the monarchy, giving too many jobs to the boys or having the biggest financial centre in the world.

I don't think you have very much idea what you are talking about.
Although tertiary education was free, which it should be, very very few people were able to have it. He will retire at 66 or 67, people live longer these days so he may enjoy life more,people younger than him may have to retire later but will also live even longer.
As for employment, the UK are currently boasting how low unemployment is. the NHS was crap then and it's crap now.

Houses may be comparatively more expensive than then but I'd be interested to see the comparison of monthly mortgage repayments because we had to put up with 17% interest rates so you were paying the value of your house in interest alone within 6 years.
Also there were no luxury distractions that had to be paid for, such as computers, phones and so on.

I would like to have someone tell me in the 70s how easy life was when we had a choice of eating or paying the mortgage.

They literally cannot stop telling lies about Corbyn.

Not only did he vote for it, Corbyn gave the closing speech in favour of the GFA.

He also won a mandella peace prize for his work leading up to it.

In comparison, mogg made £500K last year selling one of his Jersey companies and kept all the money offshore to avoid paying tax on it.

Apparently in tory world, corbyn is the dodgy one.

I don't think you have very much idea what you are talking about.
Although tertiary education was free, which it should be, very very few people were able to have it. He will retire at 66 or 67, people live longer these days so he may enjoy life more,people younger than him may have to retire later but will also live even longer.
As for employment, the UK are currently boasting how low unemployment is. the NHS was crap then and it's crap now.

Houses may be comparatively more expensive than then but I'd be interested to see the comparison of monthly mortgage repayments because we had to put up with 17% interest rates so you were paying the value of your house in interest alone within 6 years.
Also there were no luxury distractions that had to be paid for, such as computers, phones and so on.

I would like to have someone tell me in the 70s how easy life was when we had a choice of eating or paying the mortgage.

a- Those who didn't have it weren't studying hard enough
b- Breathing and living is different. At age 70 (and that will the pensionable age for the likes of myself) you can barely enjoy life anymore. The younger generation will be lucky to have a pension at all
c- most low unemployment is down to zero hour contracts which are a notch above slavery work. Also wait until the last big thank you gift from the baby boomers kicks in (Brexit).

Its true that kids today can have their priorities wrong. There again who can blame them? Its one horrible life they live in were everything is going up to the roof, doors are closing down on them and the chance of true independence is getting worse as worse.

Since you're the generation who hate entitlement then maybe its time for the government to bring austerity to pensioners through savage cuts on the pensions and elderly care. Surely that won't hurt the 'tough as nails' generation (actually the generation before built the nation and won the war but hey, that's a detail right?)

Last edited:
Not only did he vote for it, Corbyn gave the closing speech in favour of the GFA.

He also won a mandella peace prize for his work leading up to it.

In comparison, mogg made £500K last year selling one of his Jersey companies and kept all the money offshore to avoid paying tax on it.

Apparently in tory world, corbyn is the dodgy one.

He's trying to give too much money away, he needs to hide his like the rest of them, then take away from the poor & vulnerable too.