Westminster Politics 2024-2029

So, spend every waking second from the moment they were elected telling us gran has to freeze and kids must go hungry because of the 20 billion quid black hole and how they have to make hard choices.

Then today announce a £22 billion investment in the equivalent of magic beans. And yes, carbon capture is a scam that simply does not work.

These people are not just corrupt, they are absolute idiots.

The only explanation you need is Ed Miliband. A fool who has been given what was supposed to be a made up job to keep him happy.

I liked a recent news article I saw, Miliband plans to repeal a couple of laws to help the UK energy markets. The 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics. Otherwise we're fecked.

The only explanation you need is Ed Miliband. A fool who has been given what was supposed to be a made up job to keep him happy.

I liked a recent news article I saw, Miliband plans to repeal a couple of laws to help the UK energy markets. The 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics. Otherwise we're fecked.

Taking an entirely objective view of the policy there? Not basing it on some preordained view on the Miliband name?

The Tories now have a better approval rating than Labour. Turns out that centrism is a fecking failure. Labour only won in 2024 because of how unpopular the Tories were.
I think we all knew that before (and on the day of) the election?

I remember saying to my Dad that Starmer could go sit on a beach, do no campaigning, no interviews and Labour would probably win.

UK politics is a mess.

I think we all knew that before (and on the day of) the election?

I remember saying to my Dad that Starmer could go sit on a beach, do no campaigning, no interviews and Labour would probably win.

UK politics is a mess.
It really is. I hate how the Tories are (probably) going to win in a landslide in 2029. They’ll probably abolish devolution so that we in Scotland bare the full brunt of their disgusting policies.

Does it matter that everyone thinks the government are making things worse? I think it does a bit yeah.
Sorry. I’m coming from the angle of the party itself.
Maybe things are shit for the first few years but actually it turns out that when election time comes around that things are better.
I’m admittedly naive when it comes to these things but that’s probably the angle that will be aimed for.
If it comes off that is. It isn’t that the whole point of voting for a particular party?

Edit for full transparency I’m a lifelong conservative voter who voted Lib Dem last time out

Last edited:
It really is. I hate how the Tories are (probably) going to win in a landslide in 2029. They’ll probably abolish devolution so that we in Scotland bare the full brunt of their disgusting policies.

Have you seen the choice of next Tory leader? I think there's more danger of a Reform PM than a Tory in 2029.

It will come as a shock to no one you read the Spectator.

Have you seen the choice of next Tory leader? I think there's more danger of a Reform PM than a Tory in 2029.
Have you seen the past 5 Tory leaders? All of whom were Prime Ministers?

Reform can't win due to FPTP. Just as the Lib Dems, Greens etc can't for the same reason. They could win enough seats to prop up a Tory minority though.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c98ynejg4l5o

The UK has announced it is giving up sovereignty of a remote but strategically important cluster of islands in the Indian Ocean after more than half a century.
The funniest argument I heard about this was on Sky News yesterday. Tory dude saying...."We're handing sovereignty over to Mauritius. Those Islands are as far away from Mauritius as Madrid is from London."

No one said the obvious....How far is London from Chagos?

Taking an entirely objective view of the policy there? Not basing it on some preordained view on the Miliband name?

I've seen him do two things so far related to energy security. Both have been naive and stupid and put our energy security at further risk, the opposite of what he's supposed to be doing.

It will come as a shock to no one you read the Spectator.

I read The Guardian too.

In reality I read all sorts from all sides. Which is probably unlike you.

Have you seen the past 5 Tory leaders? All of whom were Prime Ministers?

Reform can't win due to FPTP. Just as the Lib Dems, Greens etc can't for the same reason. They could win enough seats to prop up a Tory minority though.

Both the main parties are so unpopular that, unless Labour up their game a lot, the Lib Dems could easily win next time round for my money. Which might be a great result tbf. Hung parliament would be likely I would suggest, so it would be a question of how awful the coalition was going to be really. (Conservative-Reform :o)

I've seen him do two things so far related to energy security. Both have been naive and stupid and put our energy security at further risk, the opposite of what he's supposed to be doing.

I read The Guardian too.

In reality I read all sorts from all sides. Which is probably unlike you.
Do tell.

The Tories now have a better approval rating than Labour. Turns out that centrism is a fecking failure. Labour only won in 2024 because of how unpopular the Tories were.
as much as i cant stand Starmer and his version of Labour, most of that lack of approval is based on some pretty biased media narratives. Look at how the Chagos Islands issue has been covered - Starmers surrender according to the Daily Mail.

This woman is a liar.
She lived in a university campus in Lagos. Her father was a doctor and her mother a lecturer. At that time, you couldn’t live in a more secure place in Lagos. What a cnut.

Feck sake, even the most dangerous places in Lagos don’t get burgled every night.

Her entire suitability for making the laws of this country was that she is the sister of another MP who was sadly murdered.

Fastracked into a safe seat, that she nearly lost, twice.
Cheers I didn’t know this. Very bleak and worrying for the future vote.

That author is a major part of Policy Exchange. Stopped clocks and all that, but he thinks that Boris Johnson's prorogation was lawful and that Shamima Begum should be tried for treason.
It’s pretty much this. Opposition against assisted dying is one of those rare moments where some right wingers accidentally fall on the correct answer.

Things are so bad that a atheist commie like myself and the Catholic Church are in agreement!

Although tbh this says more about “liberalism” in 2024. Not to stray away from the topic too much but I have no idea what being a liberal means now except for having a pro genocidal foreign policy and a refusal to see how the British state treats the most vulnerable people in society. Strange times ahead.

An objectively great piece of legislation:
  • Workers to get sick pay from day 1, not day 4
  • Women to be entitled to maternity leave from day 1, not ‘waiting’ for 15 weeks
  • Probationary period capped to 6 months
  • Zero hour contracts banned if deemed exploitative of the worker

This really tickles me.

“wE cAn ReGUlaTE oUrSelVEs”

*Embarks on a programme of gifts to the people that wish to install a regulator.

Erm, guys, that makes it look like you need fcukloads of strict regulators. We should probably double the budget.
A flip side to this is why the sudden increase in football related "freebies" to Labour. It's probably because there is more chance of them actually passing regulation than the Tories so they feel the need to go hell for leather on lobbying.

Plus most Tories probably hate football generally and didn't need to be persuaded to side with the economic interests of wealthy owners over the supporters.

A flip side to this is why the sudden increase in football related "freebies" to Labour. It's probably because there is more chance of them actually passing regulation than the Tories so they feel the need to go hell for leather on lobbying.

Plus most Tories probably hate football generally and didn't need to be persuaded to side with the economic interests of wealthy owners over the supporters.

100% on all those points.

An objectively great piece of legislation:
  • Workers to get sick pay from day 1, not day 4
  • Women to be entitled to maternity leave from day 1, not ‘waiting’ for 15 weeks
  • Probationary period capped to 6 months
  • Zero hour contracts banned if deemed exploitative of the worker

The longest probationary period I have had was three years.

They need to be very aggressive with their legislative schedule over the next 12-18 months. If they are not careful, the assisted dying debates will seriously eat into other Bills debating time.

Cheers I didn’t know this. Very bleak and worrying for the future vote.

It’s pretty much this. Opposition against assisted dying is one of those rare moments where some right wingers accidentally fall on the correct answer.

Things are so bad that a atheist commie like myself and the Catholic Church are in agreement!

Although tbh this says more about “liberalism” in 2024. Not to stray away from the topic too much but I have no idea what being a liberal means now except for having a pro genocidal foreign policy and a refusal to see how the British state treats the most vulnerable people in society. Strange times ahead.
It appears that the trend in democracies appears to be a choice between a technocratic liberalism (I include centre-right and centre-left parties here) and a right-wing populism. The danger is that if liberalism does not offer a compelling alternative to populism, with a vision on how they can transform the lives of millions of people, then people turn to populism.

If people already feel abandoned by a political and economic system, then why not vote for an alternative?

It appears that the trend in democracies appears to be a choice between a technocratic liberalism (I include centre-right and centre-left parties here) and a right-wing populism. The danger is that if liberalism does not offer a compelling alternative to populism, with a vision on how they can transform the lives of millions of people, then people turn to populism.

If people already feel abandoned by a political and economic system, then why not vote for an alternative?
We need…….a new third way!