Westminster Politics 2024-2029

Braverman is probably the most 'senior' one left in terms of holding office recently.

She'd be most likely to win I would think, the only question is would they want it. Being leader now is a hiding to nothing, for those two it would be a poor career move, and that is what they are all about.

They may end up with duncan smith as a caretaker for a while as they regroup. I still think a merger with reform is likely before 2019.

I think they'll go back to Johnson around 2027/28 once the latest "rising star" has dismally failed.

Not very bright then ?
Didn't have the common sense to tell her boyfriend to put a condom on it.
And now she's a f*cking heroine

Just another one of those single teenage mothers getting pregnant to jump the housing queue and get a Deputy Prime Minister job

Never trust Labour, they are all a bunch of liars, even going back to Wilson and his pipe, he only had it to look like a working man, he smoked hand rolled Havana cigars.
Starmer is worth more than Boris

:lol:

Yeah, not leaving your wife several times, having illegitimate children in unknown numbers, that you have to pay for to keep the mothers quiet, will tend to cut into the net worth.

That was a good day for the UK.

I hope the Tories do try to out reform the reform party because they will keep themselves and the reform party out of office for as long as they do.

People on here said Labour was dead after the last GE, I am glad they were wrong.

Hope the bank of England cut interest rates the stock market moves up the investment we need starts flowing in. Hope springs eternal and all that.

That was a good day for the UK.

I hope the Tories do try to out reform the reform party because they will keep themselves and the reform party out of office for as long as they do.

People on here said Labour was dead after the last GE, I am glad they were wrong.

Hope the bank of England cut interest rates the stock market moves up the investment we need starts flowing in. Hope springs eternal and all that.

This is what worries me. The Tories are the official opposition and will get the air time afforded to them as a result. If they go far-right, then the only alternative to Labour will be that ideology in the eyes of the mass media and the general narrative. Far-right politics normalised.

If Labour don't improve things for the majority of the population over the next 5 years, then there will be a surge towards the only other option people belive is available in our FPTP system. If in the next election Labour have to run on "keep out the far-right" rather than "keep up the progression we've made" then the country is truly fecked.

This is what worries me. The Tories are the official opposition and will get the air time afforded to them as a result. If they go far-right, then the only alternative to Labour will be that ideology in the eyes of the mass media and the general narrative. Far-right politics normalised.

If Labour don't improve things for the majority of the population over the next 5 years, then there will be a surge towards the only other option people belive is available in our FPTP system. If in the next election Labour have to run on "keep out the far-right" rather than "keep up the progression we've made" then the country is truly fecked.

That is a risk I admit.

I think scrutiny of what they are saying, lets be honest lying about, cleanses. The reason reform didn't make a break through in seats is because of the Farage re Putin interview. Killed them stone dead or they would have given Labour a real problem.

If the Conservatives want to be reform mark2 then they will be found out, you can only get away with the shit reform talk because they are not a serious party.( same as the greens :nervous:) Look at the "contract". Farage saying its just stuff we say but we aren't getting into power so it isn't important to have a plan to implement/pay for the stuff we say. If the conservatives blunt reform by talking shite like reform then they will get the additional scrutiny and they end up with 25% as parts of the conservative party will not stay in the party if it goes that way.

She actually went to the same school as my daughter does now, and leaving school pregnant at 16 with zero qualifications, plus living on a shitty Stockport Council estate to now becoming deputy PM is an unbelievable achievement.

Her achievement in working her way from a challenging childhood with difficult parenting to deputy prime minister is incredible and I have nothing but respect and admiration for her.

That is a risk I admit.

I think scrutiny of what they are saying, lets be honest lying about, cleanses. The reason reform didn't make a break through in seats is because of the Farage re Putin interview. Killed them stone dead or they would have given Labour a real problem.

If the Conservatives want to be reform mark2 then they will be found out, you can only get away with the shit reform talk because they are not a serious party.( same as the greens :nervous:) Look at the "contract". Farage saying its just stuff we say but we aren't getting into power so it isn't important to have a plan to implement/pay for the stuff we say. If the conservatives blunt reform by talking shite like reform then they will get the additional scrutiny and they end up with 25% as parts of the conservative party will not stay in the party if it goes that way.

You're hoping for scrutiny when we've just had 14 years of a government batting off any concept of scrutiny. And the Farage/Putin thing didn't cut through because it cycled out in 24 hours and no one has mentioned it since.

The media still drive the narrative. Like how we're now being bombarded with narratives that Labour has risen from the ashes to seize power despite being more unpopular than it was in the last few elections. Reform party is now set to take centre stage as a challenger party despite getting 14% of the vote.

Labour need to build up a solid support base in the next 5 years or the next election will be hell.

Not very bright then ?
Didn't have the common sense to tell her boyfriend to put a condom on it.
And now she's a f*cking heroine
The Russian bots have found their way from Twitter to the Caf!

It sure if anyone has seen it but there’s some fairly ambitious changes to workers rights being implemented in the next 100 days that we’ve had shared round at work. Or should I say implementing them in 100 days seems ambitious

I’ll try to find the detail to share

Really odd, this is exactly what I said they were doing. Alas most people don't understand politics and just want the face on TV to echo what's in their head and if not, they're literally a traitor.

Her achievement in working her way from a challenging childhood with difficult parenting to deputy prime minister is incredible and I have nothing but respect and admiration for her.

I agree, I use to live in her constituency she is the very essence of hard work, she perhaps doesn't come across like many of her contemporaries, but if Starmer is going to want 'shoulders to the wheel', he could not have a better deputy.

Same here, she's not a deep thinker but her passion and work ethic has shown that she deserves to be exactly where she is. I hope that Starmer actually listens to her opinions rather than just using her to show his commitment to the lefties of the party. It's a bonus that she seems to enrage tories and the Daily Mail.

Just watched his press conference and he came across as a PM ready to tackle issues that need addressing in a professional manner.
It looks like he has a made a lot of good choices for Ministerial positions.
PS: I think the wooden panels behind him were finished in Matt Varnish.

Yes, but 'raising Lazarus from the dead' is a bit beyond even his ambitions!

I don't deny he isn't pragmatic, but becoming leader of your party, speaking for them at PMs and meeting the challenge of rebuilding them is surely too good to resist.

While she eats lobster and drinks 25yr old Bollinger in a 5* Michelin restaurant, yeah a real woman of the people.
So people from a working class background are not allowed to eat lobster or drink champagne? I suppose she should be washing down her fish and chips with a pint of mixed?

I don't deny he isn't pragmatic, but becoming leader of your party, speaking for them at PMs and meeting the challenge of rebuilding them is surely too good to resist.

Obviously not!
If Labour had won 'on a technicality', say a majority of <20, then he might have thrown his cap in the ring.
However you don't hold the senior office of state after the PM and not know which way the winds blowing, especially when the 'natural party of government' has just been 'holed below the water line'.

I wouldn't worry about it, even after being told @Matt Varnish still didn't realise that champagne doesn't keep 25 years and Michelin don't do five stars.
Duval-Leroy Femme de Champagne Vintage 1996 Grand Cru 75cl
£250.00
The 1996 Femme de Champagne from Duval-Leroy is a deep yellow in colour and is medium-bodied but full-flavoured. This champagne is a selection of the very best Grand Crus and is a blend of 79% Chardonnay and 21% Pinot Noir. It is stunningly fresh and intense for a 25-year-old champagne and is an elegant expression of the House and the vintage year.
https://thechampagnecompany.com/duval-leroy-femme-de-champagne-vintage-1996-grand-cru-75cl

You are right on the number of Michelin stars but you can drink 25 year old champagne. I do enjoy a nice bottle of champagne when I want to celebrate something, and I'm as working class as you get.

Obviously not!
If Labour had won 'on a technicality', say a majority of <20, then he might have thrown his cap in the ring.
However you don't hold the senior office of state after the PM and not know which way the winds blowing, especially when the 'natural party of government' has just been 'holed below the water line'.

Have you not been reading the threads....Labour got lucky and it's not a huge victory. They are hanging by a thread and Hunt could win big as leader in a few years time.

Just watched his press conference and he came across as a PM ready to tackle issues that need addressing in a professional manner.
It looks like he has a made a lot of good choices for Ministerial positions.
PS: I think the wooden panels behind him were finished in Matt Varnish.

Flaky and outdated? An ugly shade?

You are right on the number of Michelin stars but you can drink 25 year old champagne. I do enjoy a nice bottle of champagne when I want to celebrate something, and I'm as working class as you get.
That's interesting, I've always been told champagne doesn't keep well. A quick google says some still think that.

I don't like wine or champagne so I'm not qualified to take sides. Beer or malt whisky personally.

https://grapeescapes.net/how-to-sto...non-vintage,loose some of their effervescence.

1. Don’t store Champagne forever
Champagnes are already aged properly before being sold and therefore do not necessarily benefit from additional ageing. As a rule, non-vintage Champagnes can be kept unopened for three to four years, and vintage cuvées for five to ten years. Champagnes will change as they age – most will become a deeper, golden colour and loose some of their effervescence. The taste and aromas of the wine will also change as the flavours mature over time.