We are an awfully coached team

People were mocked for their pattern of play comments by arrogant and delusional bunch, what a combo btw. On top of that, having a cheek to actually try to switch focus on our midfield and if that doesnt work, then mention our league position last season. Seems people still dont get it, win, lose, draw there is nothing to lean on more often than not, regardles of a result.

Football whats that.

It was only a matter of time before someone gave us a hiding.

We've been deplorable in practically every game this season.

This is probably the worst set of performances I can remember in a very long time.

This is probably the worst set of performances I can remember in a very long time.

Worst thing is City will do exactly the same to us, and so will Chelsea. I don't expect anything less than 3-0 loss against both. At this point fans of Watford or Burnley are probably going to be more optimistic going into games against top teams that we should be.

Utter nonsense. When Klopp came into the team, Liverpool started playing in a specific way. You could see his vision from the very moment he stepped in as a manager. Of course, it took some time for things to *click*, but even before they clicked he overperformed. In just 2 full seasons later he gets them to a CL final, a win later and dominance of the league. This is what a good manager can do. His squad is nothing spectacular, really.

In contrast with Ole, we're 3 full seasons in and there isn't even a notion of what style we want to play or what we're doing on the pitch, let alone getting results. Everything we do comes from some player's individual genius rather than teamplay. What pisses me off is that yesterday Liverpool simply coasted on their system. They weren't even that good, we were just pathetic. It's like the players had no idea what to do on the pitch - whether to press, to stay coherent, whether to attack or defend, where to be on the pitch. This is all down to Ole and his staff coaching skills, nothing to do with the players.

McFred is not the best midfield duo in history, but under a competent manager they can do a decent job. Our players are very good, overall, we just don't have a captain who knows how to steer the ship. We have a bunch of amateurs with zero experience at the top, led by a guy whose managerial CV is Molde and Cardiff. And in neither of the two jobs he has impressed. This is the sad reality. The manager is the linchpin that holds everything together and if the manager is below par, nothing will work. We'll still win most of our games in the league because each of our players is capable of producing at any given moment, but we're never going to achieve anything of note.

So if it's "utter nonsense" to say there's a limit to what a manager can do how do you explain what happened to Liverpool last season? Why didn't they carry on being a winning machine even without their first choice centre backs? That should be possible right if there are no limits to Klopp's ability?

I don't think you actually read my post.

Liverpool legend Carragher said things right.
United is not a place in which you learn your trade in.
Maybe it would work better if Ole had better assistants but McKenna and Carrick are learning their trade too. And best part is that Ole is not new to manager work. He has worked as a manger before and still needs help. Every manager need it, even the best ones. Manchester United should have best of the best, that includes a manager too. After 3 years its obvious Ole isnt the answer. Its on club to make a move.

Neville though, cant believe the stuff he's saying, Ole shouldnt be sacked but if he's staying we shouldnt bring better assistants too.

We have a great team, not perfectly balanced but still great. But we do not have a plan to use this players properly. Ole has one idea 4231 but no tactics behind this formation. Play as counterattacking team? Play as a high pressing team?
As long as Ole does not figure out, how this team should play, how should the players?

United needs an idea, a plan , a philosophy! Based on that every manager at United should work with his tactics, small changes of the formation, but with the same basics. And every manager, means every! Every youth team, the reserve team.... So all the youth players just slot in at the next level, they know their job, they know all the basics, because every players at the club knows them. Scouting new players would become easier, because you can change the manager, the type of players you are looking at, remain the same. And every player, every star, who joins United, would know the system, he should fit in.

Everyone, everyone can see its a coaching and tactical setup issue. To have coaching issues at elite level football is so so bad. We have 3 guys all learning on the job together trying to compete against the best managers in the world.

The fact that we're rock bottom on multiple metrics clearly points to the fact that the issue is tactical first and foremost.

I think this stat needs possession stats as context. The more possession you have, the less time you do spend chasing the ball and the less tackles you make. I suspect this might make United look even worse than this without context

The fact that we're rock bottom on multiple metrics clearly points to the fact that the issue is tactical first and foremost.
Exactly, and all the defensive categories as well. I was trying to find a decent pressing one as I am sure we are at the bottom of that, but cannot fine a good visual. If anyone has it, please post it here

nice that we are close to liverpool and City here, only difference is they dont have to tackle as they dont give away ball but we give away ball and dont tackle ....deadly combination

So if it's "utter nonsense" to say there's a limit to what a manager can do how do you explain what happened to Liverpool last season? Why didn't they carry on being a winning machine even without their first choice centre backs? That should be possible right if there are no limits to Klopp's ability?

Last season, despite Liverpool's injury crisis, they finished 3rd, 5 points behind us in Ole's best season so far. Whatever point you're trying to make with that example, it is a poor one.

Empty stadiums made a difference last season. Anfield without the crowd is a great equaliser, and our players are bottlers so seemed to play better in front of no one.

How's the general reaction ? Is the crowd still supporting Ole ?

I was at the game. Ole at the wheel wasn't sang one time and Ole, Ole one time I think at the beginning. The fans were more battling the Liverpool fans just trying to be louder than them. When Ole clapped the fans they didn't clap back or respond. In the Stretford end most people said he has to go and its the worst they have literally ever seen the team play.

Last season, despite Liverpool's injury crisis, they finished 3rd, 5 points behind us in Ole's best season so far. Whatever point you're trying to make with that example, it is a poor one.

The point I made was that managers have their limits. That shouldn't be arguable really. Without the right players they can only achieve so much. Liverpool, with injuries, dropping from from first to third, going through a terrible run of results, is your proof of that. They finished close to us because we were awful in the run in. The gap should have beem way bigger. If it's utter nonsense that a manager's influence has its limits the missing players shouldn't have made a difference to their form right.

None of this is me defending Ole. He's had the time and money to sort out the playing talent. You can't coach players to pass a ball though. Pep doesn't buy cloggers and train them up. He only buys guys who fit right in. Ole at some point lost his idea of what he wanted and started buying randomly.

I was at the game. Ole at the wheel wasn't sang one time and Ole, Ole one time I think at the beginning. The fans were more battling the Liverpool fans just trying to be louder than them. When Ole clapped the fans they didn't clap back or respond. In the Stretford end most people said he has to go and its the worst they have literally ever seen the team play.
Even with Moyes I don't remember seeing United play so bad. When Liverpool whooped us on Old Trafford, I believe, by 3-0 we were still performing. They had the better chances, but we weren't dominated or anything. This was a complete slaughter. Liverpool could have easily banged another 5 and I wouldn't have been surprised. And what pisses me off the most is that Liverpool actually didn't play that well. It was like man vs children at the local pitch. They did nothing and still managed to put 5 past us just because they felt like it. This is a sacking offence to any manager who doesn't have a credit in the bank like Fergie did. Ole is a nobody as a manager. Why is he still here, I have no idea. It sets a very bad precedent when you allow every mediocre Joe to deliver such results and not only not get sacked, but also get rewarded a brand new contract.

The point I made was that managers have their limits. That shouldn't be arguable really. Without the right players they can only achieve so much. Liverpool, with injuries, dropping from from first to third, going through a terrible run of results, is your proof of that. They finished close to us because we were awful in the run in. The gap should have beem way bigger. If it's utter nonsense that a manager's influence has its limits the missing players shouldn't have made a difference to their form right.

None of this is me defending Ole. He's had the time and money to sort out the playing talent. You can't coach players to pass a ball. Pep doesn't buy cloggers and train them up. He only buys guys who fit right in.
It's no proof at all because even though Liverpool suffered a lot last season, they were still neck and neck with us. Fergie suffered slumps, as well, that is normal. What is not normal is when we can't win a single match without looking like a bunch of amateurs for close to 4 years now. When was the last time we dominated a team? We just went out, did the 3-0 job and moved on the next? Even when we win, we look utterly shambolic and chaotic in every way. Even with Moyes we had results against the smaller teams where we looked to have just another day at the office. With Ole even when we get a big result like the 4-1 against Newcastle, it is totally undeserved. And I'm firmly on the opinion that Moyes was the worst manager in charge of United I've witnessed. Granted, since most of my life I've watched Fergie, there has not been many to choose from, but Ole is up there, for sure.

As far as whether you can coach players to pass the ball, positioning, when to press, when not to, etc. Yes, you can. You absolutely can. You cannot transform a player to become a great player or anything, but you can absolute make them play better. Conte took our rejects and made them champions. Young is no world beater, never was, but with the right coaching he can do the job. I'd argue it would be the same with Fred. He's obviously not United quality, but even he can contribute to a title winning squad, if a coach that knows what he is doing is brought in and explains to him what he needs to do, what not to do, how to play, etc. Fernandes shennanigans during the pitch are especially grating to watch as to the lack of coaching we're experiencing. No coach is gonna tolerate his 50 yard shots or mindless pressing. This is entirely on our coaching staff.

Remember when SAF won a title with Cleverley, a 30 years old Rooney, a 35 years old Carrick, a 40 years old Scholes and Buttner, Valencia, old man Pat and a defence of Johnny Evans and Smalling? You think those players are good to play for any top team? Now, SAF to me is the greatest manager in world history, but he is still no magician. These players performed because they were coached right and knew what to do. In contrast, Ole can buy the entire World starting XI and we'd still look shit. Why? It all goes back to the coaching. Which is why top managers are few and far between and the rest is filled with your Brucies, Ole's, Koemans, etc who have a very basic understanding of the game.

Liverpool were missing Fabinho and Thiago yesterday from their midfield and had to start with Milner, Henderson & Keita. The beauty of top class coaching is you can bring in a couple of inferior players into the same position and not notice a drop off in team performance as everyone knows their job to the second. We are so far off that it’s quite frightening.

Thanks mate.

The difference in being an actual coach with ability (Klopp) and just being the owners yes man (Ole) was on show for all to see yesterday. If Ole was half the legend he thinks he is, he’d have handed in his resignation after that dire performance.

How much longer is this sh!t show going to continue?

Yesterdays thrashing really highlighted how poorly structured we are and this is in year 3 of Ole's reign. We really need an elite coach to sort this mess out.

The thing is, we have been saying this weekly. As the games come, our performances seem to be getting worse.

Ole's luck was bound to run out, he has been living dangerously since Burney in 2019. He has had 3/4 results that keep him in the job for 6 months, then repeats.

After Burnley, Bruno came in and we had a bounce.
Post Covid, we had like a 3 game bounce then drew loads and lost EL and FA cup semi
He got a bounce post Leipzig with Everton result and beating CIty and Spurs in a week
Then he lived off that until the end of last season.
This season he got a 2 game boost with signings and now we are back to square 1, waiting for a bounce.

Naa, he did that from the first summer. Talking about high defensive lines and getting Maguire.
Talked about wanting to attack from wide areas and buying AWB who can’t attack. It was a weird window

Talked about wanting to attack from wide areas and buying AWB who can’t attack. It was a weird window

It was from a tactical view, but not when the manager is a football simpleton. He knew his defense was weak and was desperate because he feared for his job, so he bought the best two defenders he could get from the PL, so that they also wouldn't need time to adapt.

Simple as that.

Liverpool legend Carragher said things right.
United is not a place in which you learn your trade in.
Maybe it would work better if Ole had better assistants but McKenna and Carrick are learning their trade too. And best part is that Ole is not new to manager work. He has worked as a manger before and still needs help. Every manager need it, even the best ones. Manchester United should have best of the best, that includes a manager too. After 3 years its obvious Ole isnt the answer. Its on club to make a move.

Neville though, cant believe the stuff he's saying, Ole shouldnt be sacked but if he's staying we shouldnt bring better assistants too.

There is a big difference in a manager like Rinus Michel, Ferguson, Pep, and even Jose getting a help by a coach they know they can trust. They set the general guidelines, the coach are there to implement and acts intermediary to the manager. They set the routines and training according to the general approach. E.g. a tiki taka would require more off the ball drill and short passes drill. And should there be a problem, they believe the coach, they know the coach capacity and they know whether or not they can trust their input, to what extend he should listen to their input and the wisdom to know what's bollocks and what's a real valuable input.

It doesn't help if the manager is clueless, you can hire Pep as his coach and he still won't get result. So unless ole holds his hands up and leave everything else to his "wonder coach" and playing the body double there's no helping him.

There is a big difference in a manager like Rinus Michel, Ferguson, Pep, and even Jose getting a help by a coach they know they can trust. They set the general guidelines, the coach are there to implement and acts intermediary to the manager. They set the routines and training according to the general approach. E.g. a tiki taka would require more off the ball drill and short passes drill. And should there be a problem, they believe the coach, they know the coach capacity and they know whether or not they can trust their input, to what extend he should listen to their input and the wisdom to know what's bollocks and what's a real valuable input.

It doesn't help if the manager is clueless, you can hire Pep as his coach and he still won't get result. So unless ole holds his hands up and leave everything else to his "wonder coach" and playing the body double there's no helping him.
He wont be asked if he'll leave his assistants or not. New manager will bring his own.

He wont be asked if he'll leave his assistants or not. New manager will bring his own.

Not only an AM, he'll have to bring a whole new backroom staff.

I suspect McKenna and Carrick are a big part of this mess. NO way they're actually quality with the dross shown so far. They might not be the manager but if they're as good as we make them to be they'll make some inputs and it'll be visible on the pitch. The three of them are equally clueless I'd say. Sack them all.

Wasn't Kieran McKenna the one that really wanted Fred? I'd fire him for that alone.