Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Rice on BBC radio Manchester saying it is looking increasingly likely that he will return to EFC this summer, unlike earlier times where he got a new contract.

Sounds pretty much like what Curtis wrote last night. Free transfer, won't be payed the remaining 2 years of his contract.

I don't see why we are selling a proven striker when we are dangerously short at this moment in time. I know Rooney isn't everyone's cup of tea but I've enjoyed watching him as a utd player and wish him well

There's more chance of Kim Jong-un winning the next nobel peace prize than Rooney being offered a new contract by us!

I don't see why we are selling a proven striker when we are dangerously short at this moment in time. I know Rooney isn't everyone's cup of tea but I've enjoyed watching him as a utd player and wish him well

I have always been a big fan but Rooney is not 'a proven' striker in the context of the next season!

We're not selling a proven striker. We're giving away a lump of excrement.

Why would Rooney leave when he get paid such absurdly massive wages and no other club is going to pay him remotely as much?

It seems a bit optimistic to think that he'll give all that up just so he can play more football.

Turns out it wasn't that optimistic... He'll be an Everton player by the weekend.

It's for the best but part of me will miss him. He was immense at the peak. Beast of a player.

Yeah, i know but if im one of the guys in the everton dressing room on a quarter of his wages id be looking at him as he is now and wondering how that works.

Players who have done nothing in their careers get less than one of the most decorated English player who is the country's top scorer and is the top scorer of the most successful club in England. Shocker

What a disgusting post.
He has been crap recently, and below average for three years, but to describe our record scorer in such a way, is embarrassing.
What have you ever done?
You're more than welcome to be embarrassed on my behalf. Have fun.

Only thing rooney has proven is he is not good enough to be in the united first 18.

Aside from the fact he no longer guarantees goals - I'd suggest it means we are bringing a few attacking players in the not too distant future.

He was a proven striker, about 5 years ago. That's like saying we should sign Michael Owen again because he's banged them in in the past.

Rooney would offer us close to nothing next season if picked as first choice.

Time for him to move on. With Rashford, Martial and hopefully Morata we have enough strikers upfront imo

What a load of bollocks. Sad thing is loads believed all that tabloid nonsense.

Tbh it was clear at that time that it was a briefing from Rooney's camp. I actually don't believe he would have gone to City, but at the same time he did use that card during contract negotiations. It was dirty tactics but it worked out well for him.

Aside from the fact he no longer guarantees goals - I'd suggest it means we are bringing a few attacking players in the not too distant future.

Exactly this.

Rooney leaving will look like a new deal for us actually.

I loved him before but it's time for him to move and time for the club to move, too. We can no longer handle holding a passenger in the team.
That would have been when Sir Alex retired, but better late than never.

Im sorry but we need to stop this whole charity attitude of selling players.

We should be getting 20m+ for Rooney in this current market, not letting him go for free so he can join his boyhood club.
No one other than the Chinese are paying £20m for Rooney

I still think if he goes on a strict fitness regime, he'd make a solid PL striker for a mid-table team. I find it incredible to believe that a footballer can lose his finishing skills and movement just like that :confused:

But he needs to go unfortunately.

I still think if he goes on a strict fitness regime, he'd make a solid PL striker for a mid-table team. I find it incredible to believe that a footballer can lose his finishing skills and movement just like that :confused:

But that's the main issue which dont happen. If it did than he'd be good enough for us too.

When Moyes gave him a new 5 year contract the same year griezmann moved from sociedad to atletico, and we were unaware.

What a disgusting post.
He has been crap recently, and below average for three years, but to describe our record scorer in such a way, is embarrassing.
What have you ever done?
What is embarrassing is that our record goalscorer and "club legend" has placed himself in a situation where he could be described as such at aged 31 , that is embarrassing .

While I agree with the majority that Rooney has most likely come to the end of his usefulness at utd, (unless he somehow gets in a very good physical shape and starts to show on the pitch he is quality), I'm not following why he is going on a FREE?

Can someone shed some light?

Expecting a lot of silly replies, like "we need to pay everton to take him" etc so a bit of sense would be appreciated

Well...I'll remember the good times and brilliant performances since there is no doubt that Rooney, for the large part, was crucial to a lot of our success during his time within the Fergie years. Brilliant player for us who sadly just ran out of steam over the last few years for whatever reasons. Doesn't take away his immense contribution though.

Will be interesting to see how he handles questions about his motive to return to his boyhood club without insulting either United or Everton.

"I achieved big things at United (implying it would never have happened at Everton), but my heart was always at Everton..."

Hard for him to go with the "once a blue, always a blue" rhetoric when he dropped them as soon as a big club came for him.

Despite his significant drop in form in recent years, over a sustained period he has contributed hugely to the history of our club, and I do hope that he is looked upon a bit more favourably once the dust settles.

While I agree with the majority that Rooney has most likely come to the end of his usefulness at utd, (unless he somehow gets in a very good physical shape and starts to show on the pitch he is quality), I'm not following why he is going on a FREE?

Expecting a lot of silly replies, like "we need to pay everton to take him" etc so a bit of sense would be appreciated

The answer to that lies a few posts above yours - to save you some time, looks like he's going for free because of his wages.

When Moyes gave him a new 5 year contract the same year griezmann moved from sociedad to atletico, and we were unaware.

It's not a question of whether we were aware or not.

1. Greizmann had said at the time he wants to stay in Spain rather than move abroad at that point in time. So it's unlikely that we could have done anything

2. Imagine if moyes had sold Rooney to Chelsea how our season would have turned out to be? On top of our underperformance we would have had to see one of our best players scoring for mourinho's Chelsea.

Sad to see him go but if he had gotten in shape and looked after himself, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

It's better for Rooney and definitely better for United. But treat him with some respect because whether you like it or not, he was one of our greatest players.

Last edited:
Genuine question..

Why are people so sure he's going? I think he'll be on our US Tour still. Otherwise Rashford will be our only striker

If I'm being honest I don't particularly like all the hate Rooney is getting - I think it's unfair that this decline is deemed to be something that he himself wants- by not trying hard enough.

He was never a striker to lead the line or play as a target man, in fact I don't particularly think he was ever a prolific striker in the way that Zlatan, RVN , berbatov were put up front and expected to get goals.

He was consistently played as a forward in between the central striker and the midfield giving us an extra man in those areas whenever we needed it. To do this he consistently uses much more energy and aggression than players who would be utilised in one particular area.

He would move up and down the field and This was similar to how Tevez played for us and other clubs too - yet no one particularly complained about his lack of ability to score goals throughout all his career.

Rooney has been fantastic for us and we have completely drained a £30mil pound battery. Good luck to him in the future.

The last couple of seasons he's shown nothing, plus he's on high wages - we can't find any club stupid enough to pay us anything plus take on his wages. It is what it is. The best deal is to let him leave on a free and get his wages off our books.
I have no problem with that actually. His wages are a killer. However, he's been here a long time and helped us to achieve quite a number of trophies, so I think if he wants to continue elsewhere, it's the right thing to let him go on a free, given the current circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.