Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sorry but we need to stop this whole charity attitude of selling players.

We should be getting 20m+ for Rooney in this current market, not letting him go for free so he can join his boyhood club.
When he is on the money he is on with 2 years left and his current physical state it makes it a bit difficult to be demanding decent money for him.

We should be getting 20m+ for Rooney in this current market, not letting him go for free so he can join his boyhood club.

Mate, we should just be happy to be getting his annual salary off the books.

No club would pay a decent fee for him on top of what they have to pay him.

Anyone else thinking that by letting him go back to Everton on a free that they might be willing to do business with us for Lukaku for less than what Chelsea are being quoted?

They can because its a free and with the wages, it works out to a roughly £13m transfer.
Yeah, i know but if im one of the guys in the everton dressing room on a quarter of his wages id be looking at him as he is now and wondering how that works.

When he is on the money he is on with 2 years left and his current physical state it makes it a bit difficult to be demanding decent money for him.
Mate, we should just be happy to be getting his annual salary off the books.

No club would pay a decent fee for him on top of what they have to pay him.

I get it but imagine it was Chelsea in our position. They would have found a way to get something out of this.

Right.

A fee nobody will pay. How much would we have paid in wages while he sits on the bench? More or less than 20m?

The only public comment Rooney ever made about City was that he'd never play for them, but then I guess what players actually say takes second place to 'sources' quoted by tabloid journalists.

Great news!

He's been rubbish for ages. Worth Nowhere near what his wages command and he was never going to take a pay cut to stay here as backup. Great player back in the day but he fell just short of the very top bracket imo.

Good luck at Everton except against us!

Right.

A fee nobody will pay. How much would we have paid in wages while he sits on the bench? More or less than 20m?

Only United fans think like this. We are too nice a club at the end of the day. At another club Rooney would have been forced out.

I highly doubt Rooney would have wanted to sit on the bench for a whole season in a world cup year. He would have lowered his wage demands and we could have got some cash for him.

Im tired of this 'look how much we are saving in wages' attitude. Every single sale by every club results in wages saved.

Excellent news. Open the door to signing two forwards. Everton were wise to just give him 2 years. Wonder if he will get the midfield role he so desires?

Rooney was a great player for the clue. Sure he could have looked after himself better but he's been a professional on the pitch since 16. He also curbed his temper on the pitch which may have somewhat effected him as a player. I think he suffered like others with complaicency - especially over the years when we did NOT improve the team when it was apparent that we needed improving. Over the last few years, we've had crap width from out wide and it took us an age to improve the midfield putting that seed in his head that he could do it. So thanks Rooney. You've been a top player for the club and I hope you get a warm reception regardless. It's up to United to stop relying on great management and start backing the manager with quality in depth.

If we're selling him then we must have a striker deal lined up.

Some of my greatest memories growing up are of him tearing around the pitch causing defenders nightmares, however now is the time to move on.

I'm sad that one of my childhood heroes is finished but excited to see what the future holds for us without him weighing us down like he has these past couple of seasons.

The only public comment Rooney ever made about City was that he'd never play for them, but then I guess what players actually say takes second place to 'sources' quoted by tabloid journalists.
To quote the Dailymail as proof is hilarious :)

I'd urge everyone who thinks we're now signing two strikers to lower their expectations, Rooney isn't exactly a player who needs to be replaced.

As for his legacy and all that, I'll always appreciate how good he was at his peak and the goals that he scored, but I never really felt much of a connection with him.

He is one of my favorite players. He gave everything for the club and i loved him more than ronaldo when both were playing together but its time to move on because of his wages and his contribution to the team better we spend the money elsewhere to get our team sorted. He gets his dream to go back to his boyhood club and we get him off our wage bill.

Honestly I think him leaving is the best move for all involved. His career might get reinvigorated, maybe this will light a fire under his ass and he'll have one last run. He is United's all time scorer and it cant be denied that he did so well for the club. Personally, his attitude towards the club in 2010 and 2013 really soured me on him. He stopped being one of my favorite players and was just a guy in a red shirt. Thats just me though, his record and career with United is legendary but its time to move on.

I'll believe this when United confirms it.
Puzzles me why Everton would take him on and pay those kind of wages.
We must have sold them some crap about how 'marketable' he still is. However I'm not sure that will be the case once he leaves United.

If he does go back there, I expect him to have a couple of good games and then the inevitable media crap about how 'he's back'. Then he'll get comfortable and revert back to type. Just can't see how he's going to be able to make a good impact on their team.

If true, then best of luck to him. Clearly, JM doesn't have much playing time planned for him and given his performances the last few years you can't blame him. I'm not Rooney's biggest fan and happy to see his wages off the books for a player who doesn't seem to take great care of himself. Yes, a United legend but won't be held in high regard by many. I'm still surprised RK wants him at Everton but I think he could generate a lot of money for the club.

Can we just send Fellaini back too while at it?

If true (pray it is) then Everton must have already done their sums with the Lukaku money, even on a free Rooney's wages will be a significant outlay, a lot of money for a Club Mascot !

Best thing for everyone. I think there's a chance he could have a real impact there for a while too. People underestimate the difference in expectations at a club like United and a club like Everton. If Lukaku goes it'll be easier for him to keep a starting spot and if he does that he could do good things for a season or two.

Are we still naive enough to think that agents threatening to take their clients to rival clubs doesn't happen in the majority of contract negotiations?

Bill Rice on BBC radio Manchester saying it is looking increasingly likely that he will return to EFC this summer, unlike earlier times where he got a new contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.