Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I've read over the last few hours and especially Gary Neville's comments, suggests Rooney and the club have been negotiating his exit for a few weeks.
Gaz was saying he was surprised talks haven't been concluded. To me, that can only mean one thing. If he was staying, then there would be nothing to negotiate or talk about.

Lukaku and Morata though would be not too shabby. I think we're still a bit short but it would be interesting.

Lukaku and Morata though would be not too shabby. I think we're still a bit short but it would be interesting.

Still short up top with Lukaku and Morata? There is only so much rotation you can get away with if you've got Martial, Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Lingard, Mata, Rooney, Young, Lukaku and Morata all competing for a position across the front 3 next season.

The subsidised part sounds good, however, are we now playing a two striker system? Neither Morata and Lukaku would be warming the bench. Plus, their styles don't compliment each other. Therefore, my conclusion is, we're not getting both, and it seems Morata is the more likely one to come here.

As for the Times headline, I recall several months ago the almost same headline with the Rooney being "intrigued" about going back to Everton. It sounds like a repeat of that headline. Maybe someone trying to give Everton a gentle push to consider him?

I'm just not totally convinced about these stories.

The subsidised part sounds good, however, are we now playing a two striker system? Neither Morata and Lukaku would be warming the bench. Plus, their styles don't compliment each other. Therefore, my conclusion is, we're not getting both, and it seems Morata is the more likely one to come here.

As for the Times headline, I recall several months ago the almost same headline with the Rooney being "intrigued" about going back to Everton. It sounds like a repeat of that headline. Maybe someone trying to give Everton a gentle push to consider him?

I'm just not totally convinced about these stories.
Although we know it wont happen, but Morata can easily play in left side. Also if we play 3-5-2, it will work. But its not happening.

Still short up top with Lukaku and Morata? There is only so much rotation you can get away with if you've got Martial, Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Lingard, Mata, Rooney, Young, Lukaku and Morata all competing for a position across the front 3 next season.

Not Rooney

I kind of hope you're right, but my point is you can't expect to be paying in excess of £150m on two new strikers and then saying that still leaves us short, when you have the likes of Martial (who cost us what £35m + bolt-ons) in rotation...

I think leave us short was talking about other areas of the pitch like CM (and quality not numbers)

Young has not been playing up top for us for quite some time (except for LVG's lunacy to play him as a lone striker on a couple of occasions) and Rooney hopefully won't be here next season. However Lukaku and Morata will be overkill since we cannot have two strikers both wanting to start unless we are planning to move to 3-5-2. Even then the likes of Mkhitariyan, Mata, Lingard will find it difficult to get minutes.

What we need is a quality wide player who can chip in with 10+ goals regularly. That is what sets Madrid apart in that they have Ronaldo who does not need to be a central striker and can contribute 40+ goals a season.

You know stinge Everton want him for nothing, probably want us to pay most of his wages. I do hate that club, demanding £100m got Lukaku. A player that publicly has said that he's off with only two years left, playing with a club without CL football. They always demand so much for there players and always want there's for feck all. I want Rooney gone but the best deal for us too, if he would lower his insane wage demands it would be best for everyone. He's on top wages with such decline, every footballer needs to be realistic some time. I can't stand that scouse greedy bstard. He's even got us bending over again when we don't need or want him.

Young has not been playing up top for us for quite some time (except for LVG's lunacy to play him as a lone striker on a couple of occasions) and Rooney hopefully won't be here next season. However Lukaku and Morata will be overkill since we cannot have two strikers both wanting to start unless we are planning to move to 3-5-2. Even then the likes of Mkhitariyan, Mata, Lingard will find it difficult to get minutes.

What we need is a quality wide player who can chip in with 10+ goals regularly. That is what sets Madrid apart in that they have Ronaldo who does not need to be a central striker and can contribute 40+ goals a season.
Once we had 4 top strikers in the squad in cole,yorke,solskjær and sheringham. Perhaps we need that ?

We don't have SAF at the helm. Plus the 4-4-2 does not work anymore.

It works if you have players to pull it off. Monaco played that last season and they were superb. Atletico also plays more or less a 4-4-2 variant.

It works if you have players to pull it off. Monaco played that last season and they were superb. Atletico also plays more or less a 4-4-2 variant.
Well I am sure it works for some teams. We currently don't have the players for that.

that would be absurd :lol:
That was my first thought too but thinking about it a bit more, its only bad - not awful, or absurd.

Back of an envelope calculation, if we pay Rooney £250k a week then we pay him roughly £13m per year. I think most of us are reconciled to having to subsidise his wages if he moves to another club, and there is the possibility he stays and we end up shelling out £26m on wages over the next two years. Instead of that we only pay £6.5m. You could look at that as a saving of £19.5m against the Lukaku price, making him just over £70m.

Its not great value and Lukaku isnt my first choice but it does have the merit of solving two of our problems at once: brings in a striker and shifting Rooney. If we do that before the tour, the only other signing I think is really important we get done quickly is Matic or Fabinho, whichever one we end up going with. I dont think getting the fourth and final signing later in the window, close to the start of the season, will be too disruptive if we have our main striker and new central midfielder settled in.

Like I said, its not a great deal but its not as terrible as it first looks IMO.

Listening device?

Not an intentional wum, and not claiming to be an ITK; came from a mate with a friend who works at Goodison. (I know that sounds like typical cliché - overheard hairdresser talking to Rooney's mum's neighbour etc.) Just a rumour, but he was v specific and said expected it confirmed this week.

Not an intentional wum, and not claiming to be an ITK; came from a mate with a friend who works at Goodison. (I know that sounds like typical cliché - overheard hairdresser talking to Rooney's mum's neighbour etc.) Just a rumour, but he was v specific and said expected it confirmed this week.

Cheers for that. If it was £50m -£60m, then I'd be up for it. £90m is just crazy. Seems as though Everton are trying to do all their business with the Lukaku money.

Cheers for that. If it was £50m -£60m, then I'd be up for it. £90m is just crazy. Seems as though Everton are trying to do all their business with the Lukaku money.

yeah looking that way, but as Adebesi posted above - the saving on Rooney's contract takes a little of the sting out of it. Still a massive amount.

I heard Lukaku to us for £90m; Rooney to them for £0; we pay 50% of his wages in year one of a 2 year deal.

Literally sounds like something woody would do with his accounting and financial background. We still save some money and get rid of the rooney problem. Reminds me of Nani/rojo mess.

Not sure why people are shocked at speculation about us subsidising Rooney's wages. It's almost a given that we'd have to do that to get him off our books unless people think Everton or any other club for that matter are absolute mugs who think Rooney is worth a 250k/week contract or Rooney's a clueless saint who'll forego 8mil odd a year knowing he'll be done in 2yrs.

I understand why Jose wouldnt push Rooney out. On the other hand, I can see him wanting to stay to cash in - lack of playing time wont bother him I'm afraid

Not sure why people are shocked at speculation about us subsidising Rooney's wages. It's almost a given that we'd have to do that to get him off our books unless people think Everton or any other club for that matter are absolute mugs who think Rooney is worth a 250k/week contract or Rooney's a clueless saint who'll forego 8mil odd a year knowing he'll be done in 2yrs.

Those who are shocked include the likes of Robbie Savage, Phil Nev and Michael Owen......

I understand why Jose wouldnt push Rooney out. On the other hand, I can see him wanting to stay to cash in - lack of playing time wont bother him I'm afraid
I think it will, personally. Whether it would bother him enough to accept a pay cut is another matter. But I do believe he will want to play. For someone at the end of his career, with as many medals as he has one, who has broken scoring records for club and country and who says he has nothing to prove, he actually does. I have no doubt he is smarting at the current situation and would love to show the world he isnt done yet. The question is what price you put on that desire. He may well decide for £13m a year or whatever we pay him, compared to, say, a third of that on offer elsewhere, he can live with it.

Young competing for a front 3 position, are you kidding? Besides, with Lukaku and Morata, it could easily turn into 4 positions (4-4-2), with Morata doing a Griezmann impersonation.

Status
Not open for further replies.