Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're the one making claims he turned down more money, it's not on me to prove that didn't happen.

No, I'm saying if all he wanted was more money, he didn't need to chose to stay here at United. My point is that there was loyalty to United. He always wanted to stay here, along with a cracking contract.

Recouped money? How's your maths?!!!!! We lost plenty of money, not to mention he had no interest in playing when it got tough.

Tevez decided to move TO CITY, literally to troll us and to get a big pay packet. How can you not admit they're bigger cnuts than Rooney :lol:

My maths is fine, thank you, we've lost about 20 mln quid on this transfer iirc, for a year where he was branded a flop, he still managed quite good statistics. It's not like we've given him to PSG for free.

Tevez contract situation was up to us, we didn't offer him the full time contract in, what he believed, was the right time, so he didn't sign for us. This and ADM's situation are completely different to Rooney's, I'm not sure how more explicit I can make it so that you perhaps give it a second thought. ADM's not even a contest, a flop, a rat, sure, but he was here merely for a year. Rooney in his first flirting with City was here for what, 6 years? It didn't stop him from, I repeat, lying to everybody about how it's club's future that's on his mind and in his interest just to get a new contract. It's not comparable in the slightest.

He will be looked back on as one of our greatest ever players, obviously.

I hope he gets a good move where he can see out the rest of his career. He deserves it.

No, I'm saying if all he wanted was more money, he didn't need to chose to stay here at United. My point is that there was loyalty to United. He always wanted to stay here, along with a cracking contract.

:lol:

You either don't really understand the concept of 'loyalty' or you don't want to understand it.

It's like saying it's okay for your wife to get on a bigger cock because she still loves you and deserves the bigger cock.

Of course he wanted money, that's what the whole mess was about. We know this from various accounts of it all.

He acted up, questioned the ambition of the club and by extension Sir Alex and all for more money. Loyalty isn't in the equation.

His problem, and the reason people still hold it against him to varying degrees, is the manner in which he went about it. All players bargain and negotiate, it's a business and that's part of it. Questioning whether Manchester United and Sir Alex Ferguson can match your ambition is a step people won't forget so easy.

the thing about Rooney is that despite his decline in footballing ability he is still a major name in world football and to get him would represent a good marketing move....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17888426

if you are a club looking to expand in Asia or the US I'd say signing Rooney would be appealing

for a club like Everton with all that new money and new stadium on the way I think that would be appealing

also think Newcastle, West Ham and maybe one or two others might see the potential too

I can see no footballing reason to go to Everton. Would be purely sentimental and frankly I'm not sure he'd do that well.

If I was him, it would be USA all day long. He would score and play all the time, great lifestyle and big money.

John Cross was on TV yesterday saying his next move will be determined by his conversation with Southgate.
If Southgate says he has no future with England, he will move to China. As there's no point refusing that money and still not making the squad.
If Southgate says he still has a future, he will be prepared to move within the league on reduced wages.
I think that makes sense. Imagine him going to Everton on 100k a week and still missing the world cup?
I'd be gutted, haven refused 50m from China.

Last edited:
John Cross was on TV yesterday saying his next move will be determined by his conversation with Southgate.
If Southgate says he has no future with England, he will move to China. As there's no point refusing that money and still not making the squad.
If Southgate says he still has a future, he will be prepared to move withing the league on reduced wages.
I think that makes sense. Imagine him going to Everton on 100k a week and still missing the world cup?
I'd be gutted, haven refused 50m from China.
What motivation would southgate have to say rooney wont be in the squad 1 year in advance of the world cup? So many things could happen including injuries and rooney could go just to make up the numbers.
Bottom line he will go to China.

Plus, Southgate calling on Defoe surely means he'll still consider Rooney at least

What motivation would southgate have to say rooney wont be in the squad 1 year in advance of the world cup? So many things could happen including injuries and rooney could go just to make up the numbers.
Bottom line he will go to China.
Southgate could give the impression that he's priority is the younger players. That way Rooney knows it's not likely he goes to the world cup.

65% of GOT want him.

Because they're morons. Got hounded off there for stating before the season that Liverpool came 2nd under Rodgers that they had a nice team and would most likely be ahead of us. Turns out I was right but any praise of opposition teams on that forum is frowned upon.

Of course he wanted money, that's what the whole mess was about. We know this from various accounts of it all.

He acted up, questioned the ambition of the club and by extension Sir Alex and all for more money. Loyalty isn't in the equation.

His problem, and the reason people still hold it against him to varying degrees, is the manner in which he went about it. All players bargain and negotiate, it's a business and that's part of it. Questioning whether Manchester United and Sir Alex Ferguson can match your ambition is a step people won't forget so easy.

I think it has to be said that Ferguson said in his latest book, that he didn't think it was a money issue for Rooney in 2010.

I'm sure he wanted more money in his next contract but i don't think it was all a ploy to get a raise, he had after all been turning down the contract he eventually signed in october since august. It's possible he genuinely just did want to leave but changed his mind.

I think it has to be said that Ferguson said in his latest book, that he didn't think it was a money issue for Rooney in 2010.

I'm sure he wanted more money in his next contract but i don't think it was all a ploy to get a raise, he had after all been turning down the contract he eventually signed in october since august. It's possible he genuinely just did want to leave but changed his mind.
There were player accounts, although I can't remember where I read it, saying he came into training afterwards and and basically said it was all just a negotiation tactic from Stretford.

There were player accounts, although I can't remember where I read it, saying he came into training afterwards and and basically said it was all just a negotiation tactic from Stretford.

It was O'Shea who said it I think, don't know if it was some book or some interview but yeah.

Yeah think it was O'shea.

Yeah i remember that and that could be the case, or maybe it was just a convenient excuse for Rooney to explain his actions to players he publicly questioned the quality of but still had to face everyday. Ferguson also said in his book there was a mixed reaction from the players to him, some believed him and weren't bothered by it others were put out.

If it was all just about getting a raise he could have just signed the contract in August when it was first offered but he didn't, i assume there must be a reason for that. Lets not forget he was determined to leave, thats why Ferguson went public with it in the first place. He was frustrated that he couldn't talk Rooney into renewing his contract.

Genuine question, why do players go on holiday before sorting out where they'll be playing next season?

I'd want everything sorted before I went, otherwise I wouldn't be able to focus on enjoying my holiday. I suppose they're rich enough to fly out at a seconds notice if the agent sorts it, but even then I'd keep checking my phone for missed calls

Genuine question, why do players go on holiday before sorting out where they'll be playing next season?

I'd want everything sorted before I went, otherwise I wouldn't be able to focus on enjoying my holiday
I think they would prefer that. But they would rather wait if it means getting the best deal.

Yeah i remember that and that could be the case, or maybe it was just a convenient excuse for Rooney to explain his actions to players he publicly questioned the quality of but still had to face everyday. Ferguson also said in his book there was a mixed reaction from the players to him, some believed him and weren't bothered by it others were put out.

If it was all just about getting a raise he could have just signed the contract in August when it was first offered but he didn't, i assume there must be a reason for that. Lets not forget he was determined to leave, thats why Ferguson went public with it in the first place. He was frustrated that he couldn't talk Rooney into renewing his contract.

Maybe better offers weren't forthcoming? Who knows.

At the end of the day the bottom line is that his methods left a sour taste in the mouth for a lot of fans and that's the reason why he isn't quite as universally beloved as his career probably deserves.

Maybe better offers weren't forthcoming? Who knows.

At the end of the day the bottom line is that his methods left a sour taste in the mouth for a lot of fans and that's the reason why he isn't quite as universally beloved as his career probably deserves.

Better offers from where? How would there have been offers if no one knew he wanted to leave?

The story is he was disappointed with United's transfer business in the summer of 2010 and asked to leave at the start of august august, he maintained that stance until October when he was convinced to stay. Everything Ferguson said in his book lines up with that.

Which methods though?

He had wanted to leave for months but kept quiet about it, no one even knew about any of it until Ferguson made it public. The statement he released wasn't too clever he shouldn't have questioned the quality of his team mates or the clubs ambition, but he didn't write it so obviously he has taken bad advice there. But beyond that he didn't really do anything else wrong did he?

Better offers from where? How would there have been offers if no one knew he wanted to leave?

The story is he was disappointed with United's transfer business in the summer of 2010 and asked to leave at the start of august august, he maintained that stance until October when he was convinced to stay. Everything Ferguson said in his book lines up with that.

Which methods though?

He had wanted to leave for months but kept quiet about it, no one even knew about any of it until Ferguson made it public. The statement he released wasn't too clever he shouldn't have questioned the quality of his team mates or the clubs ambition, but he didn't write so obviously he has taken bad advice there. But beyond that he didn't really do anything else wrong did he?

So ignore the bit that pissed everyone off and he didn't really do anything?

So ignore the bit that pissed everyone off and he didn't really do anything?

I'm not ignoring anything mate, you can be pissed off at him for that no problem i know i was. But is that really where all this resentment towards Rooney stems from 7 years on?

Personally i doubt that, just read any thread on here and you'll see people saying they'll never forgive Rooney for ''nearly joining City'' or ''threatening to join City''. Or that he was bang out of order for going public with his desire to leave etc. When in fact none of that is actually true.

I'm not ignoring anything mate, you can be pissed off at him for that no problem i know i was. But is that really where all this resentment towards Rooney stems from 7 years on?

Personally i doubt that, just read any thread on here and you'll see people saying they'll never forgive Rooney for ''nearly joining City'' or ''threatening to join City''. Or that he was bang out of order for going public with his desire to leave etc. When in fact none of that is actually true.

I'm sure in my own mind that had he not released that statement and made those comments the resentment would never have reached the levels it did/has.

There's been plenty of other players demand money that have gone on to be loved. That statement is the differential.

I'm sure in my own mind that had he not released that statement and made those comments the resentment would never have reached the levels it did/has.

Look as i've said releasing the statement was stupid and i was pissed off with it at the time myself. But i'll be honest i still struggle to understand how people were so pissed off with that statement which obviously Rooney himself didn't write that they still hold strong resentment towards him 7 years on. Heres the statement which part of the statement was particularly bad in your opinion mate?

"I met with David Gill [United's chief executive] last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad," Rooney said. "I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract.

"I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it. It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.

"I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?

"For me its all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.

"Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18.

"For Manchester United's sake I wish he could go on forever because he's a one‑off and a genius."

There's been plenty of other players demand money that have gone on to be loved. That statement is the differential.

Did he actually make financial demands though?

Look as i've said releasing the statement was stupid and i was pissed off with it at the time myself. But i'll be honest i still struggle to understand how people were so pissed off with that statement which obviously Rooney himself didn't write that they still hold strong resentment towards him 7 years on. Heres the statement which part of the statement was particularly bad in your opinion mate?

Did he actually make financial demands though?
The whole thing is basically putting down the club and saying he thinks he's better than us, and then attempting damage control by kissing up to SAF at the same time.

You might have put it behind you, for the most part I have, others held on to it longer. We're all different.

For me this and the 2013 repeat put him in a category where although I unquestionably see him as a club legend and a great great player of our past he's someone I won't have as much emotional attachment to personally. He made it all about business and that's fine but it cuts both ways.

We obviously don't know the intricacies of the negotiations but you'd have to be pretty naive to think there were no financial demands.

Anyway this is way off topic and has been discussed to death countless times in the past.

The whole thing is basically putting down the club and saying he thinks he's better than us, and then attempting damage control by kissing up to SAF at the same time.

You might have put it behind you, for the most part I have, others held on to it longer. We're all different.

For me this and the 2013 repeat put him in a category where although I unquestionably see him as a club legend and a great great player of our past he's someone I won't have as much emotional attachment to personally. He made it all about business and that's fine but it cuts both ways.

Fair enough mate, i was just trying to maybe understand why people resent him so much after all these years and maybe point out that while he did some shit that was out of order. He wasn't solely responsible for the whole debacle, and that over the years the series of events has maybe been twisted and exaggerated into something much worse than it actually was.

We obviously don't know the intricacies of the negotiations but you'd have to be pretty naive to think there were no financial demands.

Anyway this is way off topic and has been discussed to death countless times in the past.

Look mate i'm not saying that he wasn't expecting to be rewarded handsomely when he signed his new contract, he was after all one of the worlds top players at the time. But i tend to agree with Ferguson on this one , i don't think it was all about money. I don't think it was all an elaborate ploy just to get a better deal, especially as the club had already offered him a £200k+ contract that he had turned down that summer.

Ibrahimovic and Pogba only came because of the money and the promise of success under Mourinho.

Now Griezmann will only come if we can match his huge wage demands and meet his expectations of ambition in the Champions League.

Every player has the same requirements as Rooney did. The only difference is that Stretford chose a stupidly public negotiating tactic and hoped it would pile pressure on the club to give Rooney a better contract. Rooney himself doesn't have the nous to decide on strategy like that. It what he pays his agent to do. The agent pulls all the strings on something like that.

:nono: The ability to consistently perform as an athlete at the top of his game.

is it really a given that Rooney will never be good again? We have seen many players who were in decline for several years and then manage to pick up form at the right club. For example, Falcao at Monaco. Im not saying hr will be great as before, but the way some of us criticize him make him look like a lost cause.

is it really a given that Rooney will never be good again? We have seen many players who were in decline for several years and then manage to pick up form at the right club. For example, Falcao at Monaco. Im not saying hr will be great as before, but the way some of us criticize him make him look like a lost cause.
Falcao was suffering from delayed recovery from a bad ACL. Rooney is not suffering from anything, he is done!

Breaking: Wayne Rooney is probably on holidays with his wife and wig, beer, kebabs and fags

I think that's what his kids are called anyway

SteveJ
Roos at Ten
The Caf

Very good Steve but you missed a few.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.