Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
China wanted a 50M£ transfer or so and we will let him go for free ?

We're not a good selling club, but we shouldn't let him join Everton for free. It's a direct rival and we shouldn't let that happen. Even if he's poor since a year or two, we shouldn't let our top scorer go for free for an other English club.

I would let him go free for US, but never for an other English club.

Everton tried to rob everytime we asked one of their player, we gave them player at correct fees (Saha, Neville), I don't understand why we should be complacent with them
if true then it was hugely reliant on Rooney actually wanting to transfer to China. The guy is a multi millionaire who has always lived within 50 miles of his family.

And the big issue for any club signing Rooney will always be his wages. United have to offer him for nothing so the buying club can offer a bigger contract. We remove 300K from the weekly wage bill for a player past his prime and not being used all that much so its not like we don't get any financial impact from it. Its about as shrewd as we can be in this situation.

So impressed how Mourinho has handled him. He's done a superb job of sidelining him without creating any kind of uproar. Rooneys influence over the club has been severed and we can now get rid without any consequences.

Agree, one of the biggest issue facing the club and he has handled it very well. People seem to forget this.

I'll give him a piggy-back all the way to Everton if they are willing to take them. He could do a job for them and would boost their profile in Asia. He still has something to offer but not at Man Utd. Players like Fellaini and Young can go long periods without a game and then put in a big performance when called upon. Rooney was a joke against Bournemouth and those are the matches he needs to show he is sharp and ready when he hasn't been in the team for a while. Rooney seems to be happy to stay in his comfort zone this season without going through the pain needed to be at the top so we should ship him and his big wages out as quickly as possible.

I'm sure Mourinho Knows he cant have Rooney as a squad player, financially it doesn't make sense for a start. If you take the money out of the equation then you have to ask what he has to offer as a bit part player, he hasn't got the pace to exploit a defense late on in a game so he cant be a bench warmer. The only sort of teams he can really play and excel in is teams that sit back and absorb pressure which ultimately leaves him with time,space so he can create. The problem here is I'm sure most team wouldn't be to worried about Rooney on the ball in these situations as he isnt known for his defense cutting through balls, for a creative top level player his passing ability is pretty average. For the money he costs us I'm struggling to warrant how he will be here next year, unless a pay cut is on its way which i doubt. Everton would be a decent club for him, even though i think Everton could do better.

But that's the key point - Zlatan is in our starting XI on sheet ability, the fact that he's 35 doesn't mattter because he's ridiculously fit and still provides something none of our other players can.

Rooney has experience, great - but he's not good enough to be Everton's starting striker (even if they sold Lukaku they'd want someone better), he won't get in ahead of Barkley, won't get into their midfield as a CM and doesn't have the legs to play wide - so he'd be a squad player, on insane wages.

Honestly, unless Rooney has simply accepted that he's done, I can't see him going to Everton - I'm not sure why they'd want him. His best bet would be the MLS (assuming he doesn't fancy going to China)

But even without the ability, the sheer experience and influence in the dressing room would go far for a team trying to jump to the next level of competing for trophies.

Fans don't see this, but managers and professionals in the game value it greatly. Why did England have an injured Beckham in a suit on the bench in a major tournament? Why did Arsenal have Henry training with them and playing the odd game from the bench when he was clearly past his best by a mile? There are tons of other examples I could think of. Everton could be getting such a great wealth of this by getting Rooney in. Fans don't see it. They just see pure ability and whether they are good enough to get into the strongest 11.

But even without the ability, the sheer experience and influence in the dressing room would go far for a team trying to jump to the next level of competing for trophies.

Fans don't see this, but managers and professionals in the game value it greatly. Why did England have an injured Beckham in a suit on the bench in a major tournament? Why did Arsenal have Henry training with them and playing the odd game from the bench when he was clearly past his best by a mile? There are tons of other examples I could think of. Everton could be getting such a great wealth of this by getting Rooney in. Fans don't see it. They just see pure ability and whether they are good enough to get into the strongest 11.

To a degree - look at Utd signing Blanc, or Larsson on loan - in both cases their experience was hugely valuable, but they also played and were on (comparatively) reasonable wages.

Rooney would have to take a huge pay cut, and no longer offers much on the pitch for a side pushing for the top-6. If this was the Everton of 5 years ago, absolutely. But Everton are an ambitious side who want to break into that top-six, and I'm not sure if Rooney is right for that - not unless he's genuinely happy to a) not play regularly, and b) take a huge pay cut.

China wanted a 50M£ transfer or so and we will let him go for free ?

We're not a good selling club, but we shouldn't let him join Everton for free. It's a direct rival and we shouldn't let that happen. Even if he's poor since a year or two, we shouldn't let our top scorer go for free for an other English club.

I would let him go free for US, but never for an other English club.

Everton tried to rob everytime we asked one of their player, we gave them player at correct fees (Saha, Neville), I don't understand why we should be complacent with them

I'd much rather play an Everton with Rooney in their team next season than an Everton who instead spends their cash on a different, potentially dangerous forward. Rooney is a liability these days.

I won't mind if we renegotiate his contract to fit his current role - squad player. With Carrick and Schweini gone, our squad might be too inexperienced? If Zlatan is injured, I would want him to be on the pitch somewhere. Thoughts?

I don't get this argument. Rooney doesn't come to mind when I think "professionalism". I think any positive influence he has is extremely over-rated. Where was this influence during the Moyes & LVG years when standards across the board fell off a cliff? Look at the influence and example Zlatan has had this year - if Rooney was such a good leader why has Zlatan's influence been so pronounced?

There's a huge difference between a good leader and someone who gets on well with other players. Compare Rooney to Keane. One is everyone's mate and holds great Playstation tournaments. The other is probably not even his wife's best mate and would probably rather throw the Playstation at your head. However I know which I would want as my dressing room influence/example.

Reactions: Akshay
I won't mind if we renegotiate his contract to fit his current role - squad player. With Carrick and Schweini gone, our squad might be too inexperienced? If Zlatan is injured, I would want him to be on the pitch somewhere. Thoughts?

With Zlatan injured, I would rather have, in order of preference for striker position, Rashford, Martial, Mata, Mhyki, Lingard, and DDG. For #10 position, all the above plus Fellaini.

Heck I would even prefer Giggsy back from retirement on the pitch instead of Rooney.

With Zlatan injured, I would rather have, in order of preference for striker position, Rashford, Martial, Mata, Mhyki, Lingard, and DDG. For #10 position, all the above plus Fellaini.

Heck I would even prefer Giggsy back from retirement on the pitch instead of Rooney.

My only point is we will be too reliant on Zlatan for experience.

He's not my favourite player but I'd like him to stay as a squad player.
Having a squad player who is past his best on such huge wages isn't good. That £250k a week should be used on a starting 11 player

Experience is overrated. We have massive experience post fergie, what does it provides us? 7th, 4th, 5th, and now 5th...

Experience imho matters is the last 5 game sprint, or in a cup final, but you have to be there or therebouts for it to has some merit.

My only point is we will be too reliant on Zlatan for experience.

When we have needed and depended on Rooney his experience has not helped. He has let us down and has not shown the leadership qualities to push the team forward in many crutch situations. Perhaps if he had taken better care of his physical condition his experience might have been more valuable.

Similar theme which makes me think someone in his entourage has spoken. Feels some of his injuries have been minor that he could still have made the squad on a number of occasions. Like Mourinho is looking for every excuse not to play him. Both articles talk about him leaving as a certainty.

Last edited:
I'd much rather play an Everton with Rooney in their team next season than an Everton who instead spends their cash on a different, potentially dangerous forward. Rooney is a liability these days.

That sums it up for me.
But IMO, Rooney wouldn't be a first teamer for Everton. He may start the season as a first teamer, but as the season progresses, his ineptitude will force him onto the bench. He may then become "injured" or "ill" until further notice.
The only reason why Everton would see Rooney as good business, is his ability sell shirt sales. Rooney still has tremendous commercial clout and will almost certainly become Everton's biggest shirt seller and most marketable player.

Feels some of his injuries have been minor that he could still have made the squad on a number of occasions. Like Mourinho is looking for every excuse not to play him.

That's what I think, too.

Its a really sad end to a ridiculously brilliant united career.

I wonder if he would be a better player now had he not been managed by such shite for 3 years.

Its a really sad end to a ridiculously brilliant united career.

I wonder if he would be a better player now had he not been managed by such shite for 3 years.

This has nothing to do with tactics, considering his last great run of form came under David fecking Moyes, when he had that headgear on. His body is just shot, as a result he's lost his explosiveness which was what set him apart from other players. Never been the smartest or most technical of players, so when he lost that, he became what he is now.

Too late for him to learn another position, think it's time we give him a proper send off. Like you said, it's a shame, he was world class for us at times but he's done at the top level it seems.

Everton would be a good move for Rooney and all parties involved. Would be really cheering for him to be able to have some impact there and finish career in a decent manner.

Mourinho has managed the Rooney situation better than Fergie, Moyes, LVG.... He has seamlessly fazed him out of the line up, out of the bench, but without criticising him, without challenging him to get in the first team. It's fairly obvious that he will be sold in the summer, or even given away like Schwinny was.

He's a gonner.

Hint Hint:

"It's up to him if he stays, but he will just make the bench if at all."

Lovely if he stays, but better run Rooney, run.

This has nothing to do with tactics, considering his last great run of form came under David fecking Moyes, when he had that headgear on. His body is just shot, as a result he's lost his explosiveness which was what set him apart from other players. Never been the smartest or most technical of players, so when he lost that, he became what he is now.

Too late for him to learn another position, think it's time we give him a proper send off. Like you said, it's a shame, he was world class for us at times but he's done at the top level it seems.

This, This, and This.

How exactly was that post WUMming?

LOL. Try this: I would much rather play with 10 men than with a complete team but Rooney on the team.

Sad for him to slide down so far in my perspective and many other fans' perspectives, isn't it?

Interesting articles, does sound like a briefing what with two articles running on the same jist.

The interesting bit for me is that it sounds like they have accepted that China is the only viable option at this point because Everton will drop his wages by £100k and they can't find an MLS side willing to offer the right package.

It's a bit of a shame that at this stage of his career he's choosing money as his main motivator. Surely Everton for a couple of years on a smaller deal with an outside chance of a spot at Russia 18 would be a better option than semi-retirement on huge wages in China?

Interesting articles, does sound like a briefing what with two articles running on the same jist.

The interesting bit for me is that it sounds like they have accepted that China is the only viable option at this point because Everton will drop his wages by £100k and they can't find an MLS side willing to offer the right package.

It's a bit of a shame that at this stage of his career he's choosing money as his main motivator. Surely Everton for a couple of years on a smaller deal with an outside chance of a spot at Russia 18 would be a better option than semi-retirement on huge wages in China?
Agree.

Who knows, maybe his agent is using his influence over Rooney to push for a China move? Would surely be more lucrative in his eyes.

With kane and vardy as strikers, dele ali as a #10....don't think he has much chance of being anything more than a back up player in russia. England arent likely to make a mark in russia anyways so why not get a nice retirement package?

I agree with the post above mine. I don't think he's guaranteed games at Everton either. In any case I can't see him playing much in Russia, if he even goes. Kane Vardy and Rashford are all ahead of him up front. Alli, Lallana, Redmond, Barkley Walcott, Sterling and some others are ahead of him for the spaces behind the striker. He might feel turning his nose at 80m quid for two season's worth of work might be too big of a risk. It's a shame how it's ending for him but I can't blame him for going to China, if he does.

Quick question. Did he break the record before or after the Chinese window closed?

Thanks. Don't know what could have changed, that he's now open to a move to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.