Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
:drool:

I think it's a bad move for him though. He's just not EPL standard anymore.
He is easily a mid table premier league starter. He'd improve any team from Everton / West Brom down. I'd be surprised if Everton took him to be honest, he isn't capable of challenging for top 4, which is where I imagine Everton's main ambitions are. Any team hopeful of finishing mid-table would benefit from signing him.

I think his influence right now at United is not anywhere near as great it could be at a lesser club like Everton. The influence he could give them could be worth 5 times what he is giving United now, who clearly arent reliant on him anymore. He could walk in to Everton, and whilst not being the most talented player in the squad, he has won everything, knows how to win, knows how a winning club is run.

Everton want to invest in big players in the summer to transition from mid table to CL, and Rooney could actually be crucial in that transition. Yes he isn't as talented as Lukaku but he could sit in behind Lukaku and offer an unbelievable wealth of experience and teach Everton how to be a winning club, installing the mentality that none of them have.

As much as Barry is much better preserved, it's a bit of a moot point. Rooney's body took a toll at a younger age, and he peaked at an early age. Don't see it coming down to who is 'fitter' as it's very subjective.

It's not a moot point. If he wants to be in that midfield he needs to be better than Barry (He's not) and absolutely needs to be fitter than Barry (He's not).

He'll be to Everton as Bastian was to us.

I think his influence right now at United is not anywhere near as great it could be at a lesser club like Everton. The influence he could give them could be worth 5 times what he is giving United now, who clearly arent reliant on him anymore. He could walk in to Everton, and whilst not being the most talented player in the squad, he has won everything, knows how to win, knows how a winning club is run.

Everton want to invest in big players in the summer to transition from mid table to CL, and Rooney could actually be crucial in that transition. Yes he isn't as talented as Lukaku but he could sit in behind Lukaku and offer an unbelievable wealth of experience and teach Everton how to be a winning club, installing the mentality that none of them have.

I don't think he's ever been that player in his entire career so I don't know why he'd start now.

Rooney has excelled when the pressure has been off him and there's been a strong supporting cast. Despite all the media nonsense he's not the one that drives a team to greater heights.

I also can't see how he ever gets a game at Everton. Unless they sell Barkley or Lukaku and he is a monumental downgrade on both of those two.

I don't think he's ever been that player in his entire career so I don't know why he'd start now.

Rooney has excelled when the pressure has been off him and there's been a strong supporting cast. Despite all the media nonsense he's not the one that drives a team to greater heights.

I also can't see how he ever gets a game at Everton. Unless they sell Barkley or Lukaku and he is a monumental downgrade on both of those two.

He has been that sort of player. Haven't you listened or read interviews from Rashford, Lingard, Welbeck in recent years? They all speak about how great Rooney has been for them and how much of a great influence he has been on them. He also practically dragged United through the 09/10 season.

As for Barkley, he barely holds his place at Everton, he's been the subject to public criticism from his own manager, has been dropped and re-instated, he could do with a wise head in Rooney to compete with him.

It's bringing a man whos won EVERYTHING, the top scorer in history for club and country, and installing him into an up and coming team. A bit like Zlatan going to PSG. Not in terms of ability but in terms of influence.

Barkley to Chelsea, Rooney to Everton...

If this happens, it'll be really interesting to see how Everton look next season.

They'll need to pick up a fast CF (I'm presuming that Rom leaves too), but it could work out for them.

Think his time with us is done, whether it be Everton or the MLS. Can't see him going to China even for all the money they'd offer him.

He has been that sort of player. Haven't you listened or read interviews from Rashford, Lingard, Welbeck in recent years? They all speak about how great Rooney has been for them and how much of a great influence he has been on them. He also practically dragged United through the 09/10 season.

As for Barkley, he barely holds his place at Everton, he's been the subject to public criticism from his own manager, has been dropped and re-instated, he could do with a wise head in Rooney to compete with him.

It's bringing a man whos won EVERYTHING, the top scorer in history for club and country, and installing him into an up and coming team. A bit like Zlatan going to PSG. Not in terms of ability but in terms of influence.

We're both probably guilty of revisionism and supporting our own point at the expense of balancing evidence.

Rashford, Lingard, Wellbeck. He's influenced 3 players that can't get in our side... this is me being a dick to an extent.

We'll not see eye to eye on Rooney being a leader of men. I've never thought that about him and I doubt I ever will. All good if you see more in him.

You're absolutely wrong about Barkley though. Watch an Everton game. He's on the same level as Alli for me this season. I'd still pick Alli as a 10 over him for the national side as he's done it at a higher level but Barkley has been great this year. Rooney vs Barkley is simply not up for discussion.

But that's the key point - Zlatan is in our starting XI on sheet ability, the fact that he's 35 doesn't mattter because he's ridiculously fit and still provides something none of our other players can.

Rooney has experience, great - but he's not good enough to be Everton's starting striker (even if they sold Lukaku they'd want someone better), he won't get in ahead of Barkley, won't get into their midfield as a CM and doesn't have the legs to play wide - so he'd be a squad player, on insane wages.

Honestly, unless Rooney has simply accepted that he's done, I can't see him going to Everton - I'm not sure why they'd want him. His best bet would be the MLS (assuming he doesn't fancy going to China)

If he gets signed by Everton it'll be a disaster as he is finished. I can't see him being disciplined enough to put effort to stay fit beyond World Cup 2018.

So impressed how Mourinho has handled him. He's done a superb job of sidelining him without creating any kind of uproar. Rooneys influence over the club has been severed and we can now get rid without any consequences.

Mostly the cons for taking him in at Everton/West Ham has been posted, but surely theres gotta be some pros too:

- way to attract/keep other big players
- good shirt seller
- helping/advicing youth
- club ambassador afterwards (Everton)
- Easy punt for finding a striker
(West Ham have really struggled at this - most PL club do)
- who knows, he might need a new challenge to motivate him

.. I bet he could probably be brought in for free because of his massive salary - United would directly save big money/squadspace by giving him away

So impressed how Mourinho has handled him. He's done a superb job of sidelining him without creating any kind of uproar. Rooneys influence over the club has been severed and we can now get rid without any consequences.
Helped massively by Rooney himself though. He hasn't said a word this whole time and has been a perfect professional.

If he goes to Everton right, but we shouldn't let leave him for free. Absolutely not.

Everton played hard balls with us every time we wanted one of their player so there is absolutely no chance that we stay soft with them.

He still has 1 year of his contract so let them pay 15M£ for him and that's all

He's the best manager in the world at this.. also eased Schweinsteiger out without massive problems.. of course helped by the players themselves not looking Yaya-ish. Good handling so far by all parties involved

If he goes to Everton right, but we shouldn't let leave him for free. Absolutely not.

Everton played hard balls with us every time we wanted one of their player so there is absolutely no chance that we stay soft with them.

He still has 1 year of his contract so let them pay 15M£ for him and that's all

Van Persie left for under 4m gbp according to Fenerbahce - Rooney is on the same wage and arguably in worse condition.. if 4-6m is what were looking for and no-one's coming to the table because of his massive wage, then it would be okay to give him away for free - or try to put him in a deal for Lukaku/Barkley.. Even though those multi-player deals never materialize.

No way we'll get 15 m gbp - even China refused this

I honestly think he will be part of the deal for Lukaku.

Even I think so. ManUtd will let go Rooney for nothing so Everton save money on transfer fee but ManUtd will make money in the difference of wages between Rooney and Lukaku.

You seem to be praising the wrong person there. All Mourinho has really done is not pick a player who hasn't been playing great and/or been injured. Rooney is the one who has acted professional about it all and not kicked up a fuss.

I honestly think he will be part of the deal for Lukaku.

I agree, the more I think about it I think a deal could genuinely be reached to see Lukaku come here and Rooney back to Everton.

As others have said too, Rooney has been a perfect professional and not kicked up a fuss. It will be the right time for him to leave in the summer, but I will still be sad to see him leave because I think he is a United legend and had so many great moments here. When he was in his prime he was a cracking player.

You seem to be praising the wrong person there. All Mourinho has really done is not pick a player who hasn't been playing great and/or been injured. Rooney is the one who has acted professional about it all and not kicked up a fuss.

I agree, the more I think about it I think a deal could genuinely be reached to see Lukaku come here and Rooney back to Everton.

As others have said too, Rooney has been a perfect professional and not kicked up a fuss. It will be the right time for him to leave in the summer, but I will still be sad to see him leave because I think he is a United legend and had so many great moments here. When he was in his prime he was a cracking player.

Exactly this. Rooney has been a true professional in this situation. He kept his head down, wasn't making any fuss.

Everton are downgrading if he's going there to become a first XI mainstay...and I don't even rate Everton. I would also wonder if this is another opportunity for him to wield some dressing room influence (to play) even when he's not performing.

It would definitely be the best move for him in terms of his reputation - it's the best move he's going to get.

What about all the accusations of leaking stuff to the press relating to it before Jose managed to? Lots of people were convinced it was him.

Or he could sit behind lukaku, run really slowly on counters, continue to have a terrible first touch, continue to get dispossessed, continue to have the ball hit off him by other players to manage to get a goal. Y'know, just being indifferent.

I do think occasionaly he still has some qualities, assist in him, attacking presence, free kicks, tiny bit of leadersip, the Valencia ball and long range passing. He is also still our assist king if Im right, he is horribly past it but as a squad option I wouldnt mind him tbh.

I kinda agree but he's way too big for that role. He's one massive wages including clauses related to PR and sponsorships which benefits both parties so I doubt either would be interested in a "official" downgrade to a backup player.

Not mobile enough,nimble, for the EPL anymore.

I wish him the best, but I see him on the bench for almost all prem sides. His WC dream is over so why not help expand football in the states.

Then, perhaps a further year in China.

Although it doesn't count for much, I doubt we'd have used him in the poster for promotion of Pre-season tour if we planned on selling him actively. And that's what I think. If any club makes a bid, we'd accept it and leave it to Rooney to decide his future, else he stays

What about all the accusations of leaking stuff to the press relating to it before Jose managed to? Lots of people were convinced it was him.

Of course lots of people on here were convinced it was him, on here conspiracy theories and Rooney go hand in hand.

Although it doesn't count for much, I doubt we'd have used him in the poster for promotion of Pre-season tour if we planned on selling him actively. And that's what I think. If any club makes a bid, we'd accept it and leave it to Rooney to decide his future, else he stays

I doubt the marketing department have inside info on who will and won't be sold, so they just work under the assumption everyone will be staying. And i tend to think what Jose says is correct, he doesn't mind if Rooney stays next season the club isn't trying to sell him. If Rooney leaves it will be because he decides to.

It has been one of the more impressive things about Mourinhos reign so far is that this has been handled with so little fuss. Maybe Rooney knew he was never going to win this particular battle and have the same favouritism that Van Gaal showed him.

I kinda agree but he's way too big for that role. He's one massive wages including clauses related to PR and sponsorships which benefits both parties so I doubt either would be interested in a "official" downgrade to a backup player.
Dont have to make it official, when he is in form and others arent we can start him. For a period this season he was arguably our most dangerous and productive season, wanted him to start. But if he's back to normal as a squad player. The wages are frustrating though.

Well we are promoting the tour now and Rooney is still part of the squad and a recognisable face so makes sense for him to feature. Easy enough to change the poster to exclude him if he is gone before the tour.

Barkley + Lukaku out, Rooney and a striker in?

Obviously not ideal for Everton but they're losing Lukaku either way, and if Barkley wants out to Chelsea I don't think they can stop him either.

Van Persie left for under 4m gbp according to Fenerbahce - Rooney is on the same wage and arguably in worse condition.. if 4-6m is what were looking for and no-one's coming to the table because of his massive wage, then it would be okay to give him away for free - or try to put him in a deal for Lukaku/Barkley.. Even though those multi-player deals never materialize.

No way we'll get 15 m gbp - even China refused this

China wanted a 50M£ transfer or so and we will let him go for free ?

We're not a good selling club, but we shouldn't let him join Everton for free. It's a direct rival and we shouldn't let that happen. Even if he's poor since a year or two, we shouldn't let our top scorer go for free for an other English club.

I would let him go free for US, but never for an other English club.

Everton tried to rob everytime we asked one of their player, we gave them player at correct fees (Saha, Neville), I don't understand why we should be complacent with them

He's there, at least on the official site he is.

China wanted a 50M£ transfer or so and we will let him go for free ?

We're not a good selling club, but we shouldn't let him join Everton for free. It's a direct rival and we shouldn't let that happen. Even if he's poor since a year or two, we shouldn't let our top scorer go for free for an other English club.

I would let him go free for US, but never for an other English club.

Everton tried to rob everytime we asked one of their player, we gave them player at correct fees (Saha, Neville), I don't understand why we should be complacent with them

You have a point in letting him go for free to a MLS instead of an english club might be better, but China has never wanted a 50m gbp deal for Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.