Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry I don't understand I don't see anything wrong with his quote but is that your point?
He was saying he needed a chance to show he can adapt, I don't see where entitlement comes in surely that's just common sense
Fond of assumptions, aren't you? For instance, I've never played Football Manager.

Don´t get the hate about him. The club is rich enough, he deserves the money after what he has done for this club...
You could say that about a lot of our players but when the times come you have to show them the door, it's sounds harsh but you have got to do what's best for the team and keeping Wayne Rooney on the books for a couple more years is only going to benefit him.

I did get excited that he might be going and we might get an over the top fee as compensation for that contract gifted to him, but I'm actually ok with him staying till summer. We could probably use him in some none crucial moments between now and the end of the season. Has to go in the summer though, please! Time for a new era.

I'm sorry I don't understand I don't see anything wrong with his quote but is that your point?
He was saying he needed a chance to show he can adapt, I don't see where entitlement comes in surely that's just common sense
He appears to assume that his managers should let him extend his career...regardless of the specific teams' needs.

Entitlement 101:

Yeah that wound me up at the time and it winds me up now. When you watch what Pogba and Herrera do in midfield and compare it to the shit he had been serving up for two years it's no wonder we were playing as badly as we are. No composure, no urgency, no tenacity, no controlling the tempo and very little craft.

I think he spent a decade watching Giggs and Scholes morph into experienced centremids and assumed it was handed to them on a plate. The reality is that their worst games there are up there with some of his best.

He appears to assume that his managers should let him extend his career...regardless of the specific teams' needs.
It actually reads that other people are talking about him and saying he should do this or that, and his response is ok I will but I need to be given the chance?

Dante said:
Sorry, mate. I was just playing silly buggers.
I thought the thread had gone bonkers then. :lol:

What would your decision have been in Rooney's position?
Sit on the bench and take the money! You can't blame him for that either. In fact you can't blame anyone doing this, blame the idiot in charge who handed him the deal in the first place.

Yeah that wound me up at the time and it winds me up now. When you watch what Pogba and Herrera do in midfield and compare it to the shit he had been serving up for two years it's no wonder we were playing as badly as we are. No composure, no urgency, no tenacity, no controlling the tempo and very little craft.

I think he spent a decade watching Giggs and Scholes morph into experienced centremids and assumed it was handed to them on a plate. The reality is that their worst games there are up there with some of his best.
To think 2 natural midfielders are better than a no10 being shoe horned into a midfield that wasn't allowed freedom, the outrage!

What would your decision have been in Rooney's position?

I honestly don't think he had a decision to make. There wasn't a viable move so he's got to wait until the summer and it'll be a much harder decision. There won't be space on the bench for him and Mourinho will tell him as much. Then it's either a pay cut and stay in this league at one of the mid to lower table clubs or forget about the World Cup and pickup a cheque.

My choice in his position? If hope my advisors were kind enough to tell me that no matter where I play I'm unlikely to be anywhere near the England squad as my 33rd birthday approaches. We're talking nearly 18 months away and with the arc of his decline as it is, he'll struggle to get picked for the Red Lion let alone the Three Lions.

To think 2 natural midfielders are better than a no10 being shoe horned into a midfield that wasn't allowed freedom, the outrage!

So to get this straight, you think he deserves the chance to play in midfield (and someone will have to drop out for that) and he'd be at the level Pogba and Herrera play at.

That would be beneficial to United?

So to get this straight, you think he deserves the chance to play in midfield (and someone will have to drop out for that) and he'd be at the level Pogba and Herrera play at.

That would be beneficial to United?
Keep putting words in my mouth dude, makes a good read.
Apologies just get bored when I read unnecessary trash talk towards a united player who hasn't even played recently

Keep putting words in my mouth dude, makes a good read.
Apologies just get bored when I read unnecessary trash talk towards a united player who hasn't even played recently

It was a question, in trying to work out what you mean.

Haha can't debate further so tries to belittle the poster, standard troll.
Pleased he is staying because he offers much needed experience in our busy run in.
Even if in your opinion it shows "a lack of ambition " (you sound a lot like Rooney there) to keep the clubs greatest scorer for 5 months longer
Not really, I'm just tired or replying to people who don't have the ability to read is all. I think you're perfectly fine and have an opinion just like I do. It's clear we aren't going to come to a conclusion based on our opinions. So let's just call it quits, good day.

Some of the comments in here that were desperate for Rooney to leave are pathetic. He wants to be around the squad and have the chance to contribute if necessary.

He's a Manchester United player, have some fecking respect.

Personally I dont see any harm in Rooney staying until the end of the season. It's only three months and won't cripple the club financially.

What gets me is the number of posters calling people out for saying they want Rooney gone. Apparently it's ungrateful to want rid of a guy earning a million pounds a month for doing nothing.

Football is based on a simple contract: we (the fans) pay the players through tickets, TV and merchandise and in return they provide us an entertainment. Rooney has been a great player and rightly lauded as such, but he's long since stopped fulfilling his side of the contract so fans, the ones who pay him, want him out. It's completely understandable and doesn't imply a lack of respect or any such nonsense.

Last edited:
The lack of respect argument has been going on for a long time now. Rooney had no respect for the club, his team mates and his manager when the first contract dispute happened.

Some posters don't seem to get the point. Post 2010, the relationship between Rooney, the club and the fans turned into a pure business deal in the eyes of many. People like myself would put up with him as long as he's delivering the goods. Now that he's not, I don't see what's wrong with flogging him. Respect? feck that shite.

While it's clear that Rooney's best days are behind him, and I look forward to the club moving on, I'm pleased for him to remain until the end of the season. We're still competing on all fronts and the fixture list will be challenging. Despite his decline, he's still a viable option off the bench. He could yet prove useful. The summer is the best time to move him on, which I'm sure Jose would agree with. Hopefully he can end a tremendous United career with a few more trophies, and we can thank him for his years of service.

The lack of respect argument has been going on for a long time now. Rooney had no respect for the club, his team mates and his manager when the first contract dispute happened.

Some posters don't seem to get the point. Post 2010, the relationship between Rooney, the club and the fans turned into a pure business deal in the eyes of many. People like myself would put up with him as long as he's delivering the goods. Now that he's not, I don't see what's wrong with flogging him. Respect? feck that shite.

Hardly the first player to negotiate a deal with his club. You don't hear the details of every single one of them. This is just one example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/394531.stm

"If the new contract is not right then I won't sign it," said the 27-year-old.

"I won't undersell myself. I would think that this is my last big contract so it has got to be right.

"Even though I am United's captain, have moved into a new house and my family are settled here, I won't sign a deal I am not happy with.

'I would be prepared to go'

"If it isn't sorted out I will have to look at the bigger picture and I would be prepared to go. That's not a threat, that's just life," added Keane.

Hardly the first player to negotiate a deal with his club. You don't hear the details of every single one of them. This is just one example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/394531.stm

"If the new contract is not right then I won't sign it," said the 27-year-old.

"I won't undersell myself. I would think that this is my last big contract so it has got to be right.

"Even though I am United's captain, have moved into a new house and my family are settled here, I won't sign a deal I am not happy with.

'I would be prepared to go'

"If it isn't sorted out I will have to look at the bigger picture and I would be prepared to go. That's not a threat, that's just life," added Keane.

I've seen this cited a few times when having this argument.

He was honest from the get go, was not considering offers from other English clubs (I think Juve and Bayern were said to be asking about him), didn't cite a "lack of ambition" from the club, and Alex Ferguson. 50k per week for a peak Roy Keane was, as the feeling at the time, well worth the money anyway. In addition to that, United had just won the CL but still had strict wage budgets when compared to other clubs in the continent. We broke our wage ceiling for him, paving the way for us to sign Veron (who despite his failure at the club, was seen as a true world class player at the time) a few months later.

Different frog, different times.

This.

I have no emotional attachment to Rooney.

He is a Man United employee at the end of the day, but when he leaves it's over.

Calling a Manchester United player a 'fat feck'? Wow.

Is he not fat? Sure looks like he carrying the weight. Anyway regardless, this is just a temporary blip guys. His statement offers no indication of next season, it is about the here and now. He doesnt start anymore, he has no chance to start ahead of Ibra, Mata, Martial and Miki. Gone in the summer.

It actually reads that other people are talking about him and saying he should do this or that, and his response is ok I will but I need to be given the chance?
But the reality is that we can afford an 89 million pound centre mid, we don't need to give him a chance!

Absolutely the way I see it.

So the "boy that just wants to play football", is now "the man that only wants to play top flight football and would rather sit on the bench than earn a living at a lower level".

Doesn't have much of a ring to it.

I don't blame him at all for waiting until the summer. It's a big move in his career, makes a lot more sense to take your time and see what offers turn up at the price of just a few more months on the bench.

Absolutely the way I see it.

Not surprising after all of the chinese clubs ruled out a move. It was a bit checkmate.
He delayed too long while they bought other players and then changed the rules. He's missed the gravy train, except for maybe a city that no European would want to live in if he could afford it. Pretty much leaves only the MLS in the Summer or a Schweinsteiger situation for a couple of years - the latter further tarnishing what should be a great memory of him. But most likely gone in the Summer to the MLS.

He delayed too long while they bought other players and then changed the rules. He's missed the gravy train, except for maybe a city that no European would want to live in if he could afford it. Pretty much leaves only the MLS in the Summer or a Schweinsteiger situation for a couple of years - the latter further tarnishing what should be a great memory of him. But most likely gone in the Summer to the MLS.

With the MLS there isn't even the pretence of a developing league any more like with the chinese where at least a few decent players have gone, if you go the MLS its the footballing equivalent of being put out to pasture, at least for European players anyway.

I've seen this cited a few times when having this argument.

He was honest from the get go, was not considering offers from other English clubs (I think Juve and Bayern were said to be asking about him), didn't cite a "lack of ambition" from the club, and Alex Ferguson. 50k per week for a peak Roy Keane was, as the feeling at the time, well worth the money anyway. In addition to that, United had just won the CL but still had strict wage budgets when compared to other clubs in the continent. We broke our wage ceiling for him, paving the way for us to sign Veron (who despite his failure at the club, was seen as a true world class player at the time) a few months later.

Different frog, different times.

Well argued, its certainly a different kettle of frogs as you say.

It wasn't a case of I'm playing great here and look what other players are on I want an increase, which would have been absolutely fine, because of the lack of ambition from the club stance, it is bizarre that he would use that line, it suggests he did genuinely want to jump ship as its not even an argument for an increased wage, its an argument to leave.

So the "boy that just wants to play football", is now "the man that only wants to play top flight football and would rather sit on the bench than earn a living at a lower level".

Doesn't have much of a ring to it.

You can twist it however the feck you want.

Had he moved to China you would be blaming him for taking the big money.

The contract fiasco to me underlined how naive a lot of fans were. Granted most negotiations don't play out in public but it's genuinely as if people were under the impression that other than Rooney other contract talks began with the statement: 'Please Mr Ferguson I insist on being paid less'.

If anyone thinks Rooney is the only player over the years to have created and demanded a transfer in order to get a better deal then I've got some magic beans I'd like to sell you. It's also another example of how fans demand loyalty yet treat players like discarded condoms the second they're done with them. Some of the abuse Rooney's got over the years from self-proclaimed fans is incredible.

Legend. No matter what people say. I do hope he will play some part in the future and he will up his performance.

The stick he's got, after offering us so much is baffling. Some people wouldn't see the truth if it hit them in the face

So do you, @SirScholes , think he should be playing in our midfield right now?

Even in our club i have him 4th choice striker/6th choice wideman/3rd choice Cam and 6th choice CDM.....

Well argued, its certainly a different kettle of frogs as you say.

It wasn't a case of I'm playing great here and look what other players are on I want an increase, which would have been absolutely fine, because of the lack of ambition from the club stance, it is bizarre that he would use that line, it suggests he did genuinely want to jump ship as its not even an argument for an increased wage, its an argument to leave.

How is it bizarre? It precisely reflected what a large proportion of our fans had been saying ever since the Glazers took over. A refrain which escalated when we sold the best player in the world and replaced him with Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia.

I did get excited that he might be going and we might get an over the top fee as compensation for that contract gifted to him, but I'm actually ok with him staying till summer. We could probably use him in some none crucial moments between now and the end of the season. Has to go in the summer though, please! Time for a new era.
This is how I feel. We have a lot of games and his stats for assists and chances cross created are actually pretty decent. Yes a few flukes, but still!

And we can't forget that goal, crucial to the game and phenomenal.

I would have happily seen him go with a big fee and wages saved lining up for the summer transfers, but even if he is barely used an extra head with his experience and quality at times is only going to help for this season.

How is it bizarre? It precisely reflected what a large proportion of our fans had been saying ever since the Glazers took over. A refrain which escalated when we sold the best player in the world and replaced him with Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia.

Gotta stick up for Rooney here - he was right, or rather his agent was right to tell him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.