Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope he does what is best for him and his family. He isn't going to start much for United, so if he goes somewhere else I am sure he will do well and will go with the best wishes of all United fans.

I don't think he's got anything to prove to himself, or others. He's been a terrific player.

Of course he hasn't, i wasn't suggesting he has.
I'd just be interested if he still wants to play as competitively as he can, it's a short career and personally i'd rather play competitive lower level football in the twilight of my career than stroll around with crap just for a pay packet.
but each to their own, he's earnt the right to do what he chooses

The BBC are trolling us here.

In terms of club size, there's no contest. United are one of the biggest sports institutions in the world; City are a parochial club who won the squalid petro-lottery and would be back in Division 2 were it not for their outrageous good fortune.

I am currently on holiday in South-east Asia and have seen lots of United shirts, but not a single City top. Tells you a bit about the size of the two clubs.

Who has the better team and structure is a different matter. City have definitely stolen a march on us with some excellent youth development (which actually began long before the takeover) but hopefully we've cottoned on just in time. The recent overhaul of the backroom staff will hopefully help us claw back the deficit and we seem to have plenty of young talents (Tuanzebe, Williams, Gomes, Chong) of our own.

I don't think he's got anything to prove to himself, or others. He's been a terrific player.
I think he has something to prove for England, and if he doesn't think so I'd question his ambition. Not arsed about his goal scoring record where he put most of them past minnows, I'm talking about major tournaments. For a player who was supposed to be captain and talisman for his country, he's largely been a failure on the big stage.

FFS, they just asked Slaven Bilic about Rooney, ahead of Watford v West Ham.

Arsenal should sign Wayne Rooney, suggests Harry Redknapp
Arsenal should sign Wayne Rooney so he can shout at people. Harry Redknapp says so. Deal with it.

Rooney’s future at Manchester United is in doubt, with the club captain no longer a guaranteed starter under Jose Mourinho.

His agent, Paul Stretford, is reportedly in China attempting to negotiate a deal for his client, but it is thought that Rooney would prefer to remain in the Premier League.

In his London Evening Standard column, Redknapp suggests that Arsenal should sign him so that he can shout at players when they aren’t running around enough. The former Tottenham boss writes:
‘Arsenal should take a gamble and sign Wayne Rooney on a two-year contract. There’s no love lost between Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger but Petr Cech moved between the two managers and Wayne deserves the chance to choose his next move.

‘It is pretty clear his time at Manchester United is coming to an end. Jose is saying all the right things publicly but his team selections make it obvious he doesn’t fancy him and that’s his choice as manager.

‘There’s a lot of talk about Rooney going to China but I can’t see that happening, at least not before Tuesday’s transfer window deadline.

‘Everything would have to be 100 per cent right and even though he has got Paul Stretford behind him – a very experienced guy and top football agent – it is a very long process to get a deal of that size over the line.

‘I suppose they could have been working on a deal for a while which would help but it makes more sense to keep his options open until the summer. And if Rooney is available then, the Gunners should come in for him.

‘Arsenal looked at him a few years ago so we know Arsene is a fan. He would improve that team overnight because they have an issue with attitude and he is a winner.

‘I watched Arsenal the other night at Sutton and I know it was a difficult pitch but some of their younger players were getting caught in possession, losing it cheaply and were putting their team in danger.

‘There was nobody there shouting: “Oi, f***ing liven up!” They get away with it all the time. Nobody sticks the boot into them, whether that’s from the dugout or other players on the pitch. Rooney would be someone out there on his team-mates’ case, digging them out if they aren’t at it. That would be invaluable for Arsenal.

‘Arsene always had Tony Adams or Patrick Vieira to set standards and call people out for him. Maybe Rooney could do that job for him now.’

Arsenal fans would have a an absolute meltdown if that happened. Nearly 4 years after reluctantly selling us their best player, probably at his absolutely peak, the prospect of Rooney going to the Emirates would send Claude over the edge.

The worship of the guy is ridiculous. It's almost like they are always setting him up for a fall. Rooney himself does buy into his hype big time

Arsenal fans would have a an absolute meltdown if that happened. Nearly 4 years after reluctantly selling us their best player, probably at his absolutely peak, the prospect of Rooney going to the Emirates would send Claude over the edge.

fecking Redknapp :lol:

He's completed football. Won everything there is at club level.

I couldnt see him going to China, but it seems the rumours are getting more and more believable, especially if his agent is in China.

The thing is, if China are willing to offer him silly money, then on a personal level, why not go? Like I said, he's done everything, and has recently broken our all time goalscoring record, so I guess it wouldnt be a bad time to go.

Ideally, if he was going to go, then i'd like to see him go at the end of the season. I mean, we're still in a few tournaments, where Rooney can still make a contribution.That said, he's always been someone who wants to play games, and obviously that hasnt changed.

It'll be an interesting few days.

Captain and all-time top goalscorer of one of the biggest clubs in the world. Captain and all-time top goalscorer for his nation. Rooney's legacy is cemented, now it is time for him to move on and not languish on our bench.

When I look and see we have a minimum of sixteen games in an eleven week period. And factor in the age/injury profile of some of our players. I don't think we want to be releasing anybody until the summer.

I'd agree if I was confident he could play up front and be relied upon. Then you could see the point of keeping him on. You could rest Ibra knowing that position is in safe hands.

Unfortunately that isn't the case. He's not a goal threat anymore.

In all other possible positions we're well covered.

I can't see Rooney going to China, even for mega money. Surely if he still feels able to compete at a high level he would seek a move elsewhere.

If there's one thing we all need, it's to hear what Slaven Bilic thinks about Wayne Rooney's potential move away from Manchester United. Finally!

How many zippers have been drawn today at this news then?

One thing china has going for it that might interest rooney... Thier old birds are far more wrinkly than our European ones.

I couldnt see him going to China, but it seems the rumours are getting more and more believable, especially if his agent is in China.

The thing is, if China are willing to offer him silly money, then on a personal level, why not go? Like I said, he's done everything, and has recently broken our all time goalscoring record, so I guess it wouldnt be a bad time to go.

Ideally, if he was going to go, then i'd like to see him go at the end of the season. I mean, we're still in a few tournaments, where Rooney can still make a contribution.That said, he's always been someone who wants to play games, and obviously that hasnt changed.

That`s right he has nothing left to prove. Maybe winning the World Cup with England but this is anyway never going to happen.

I am just not sure if his Family is happy about going to another continent.

Arsenal should sign Wayne Rooney, suggests Harry Redknapp

:lol: I'd love for this to happen. Genuinely think one of them arsenalfantv lads would run up on wenger if he was crazy enough to do this

This is the thing for me, it's clear as day Rooney fire and desire he once had has completely gone.

He admitted himself in a post game interview "I have nothing to prove", and that unfortunately shows these days. He doesn't feel the need to kill himself in training and prove he's the best.

He won't get an easy ride at Everton with Lukaku and Barkley arguably ahead of him, he's got a big decision to make but I think Jose and the club have made it clear to him that exists away from us. Griezmann and possibly another forward will be joining, he will be even further down the order.

Even if our prayers are not answered by next Tuesday, the fat feck is surely off in the summer. Been awol for February, rarely starts.

I just hope he does what is best for him and his family. He isn't going to start much for United, so if he goes somewhere else I am sure he will do well and will go with the best wishes of all United fans.

Even if our prayers are not answered by next Tuesday, the fat feck is surely off in the summer. Been awol for February, rarely starts.

Strangely these two statements aren't mutually exclusive.

In my view Rooney is still better than Ramires, Demba Ba, Pato, Paulinho etc. All these guys had no trouble finding mega offers from China. Surprising that Rooney wouldn't have at least a few clubs fighting for him.

In my view Rooney is still better than Ramires, Demba Ba, Pato, Paulinho etc. All these guys had no trouble finding mega offers from China. Surprising that Rooney wouldn't have at least a few clubs fighting for him.

His wages are probably hindering that

who the hell wants to pay a striker in this country 250k per week, when he cant run, cant control the ball and doesnt score goals. Its like going out to by a Mercedes and then realizing you cannot drive it as it has no engine

Maybe, but Oscar, Hulk, Pelle, Lavezzi, Tevez are all earning about the same or more than Rooney currently makes. I don't know if salary is really an issue.

True. However it is also the reason why these heavy links are coming only from China. No one in Europe will touch him even with what he is on at Utd now

Agree to an extent. He should have more marque value than either of those players, which one would think the Chinese clubs are going after, not really for footballing value. It seems they are going more for splash than real value, so Rooney should be a valued commodity. Of course, the club being managed by Cannavaro might actually be looking to build something so they passed for now, but maybe they'll be back in for him once the other clubs start sniffing around.

His wages are probably hindering that

Doubt it. Considering how much they are paying the mediocre 'stars' the league has lured, it's not the wages. Maybe Stretford overreached in his initial talks, but I doubt he wouldn't get a pay packet at par with those mentioned above, which is still highway robbery. It's quite possible Jose needed a security blanket, plus maybe Woody tried to milk the situation for more money than was feasible at the moment. It's not like the Chinese clubs aren't aware he's not starting anymore.

Whatever the case, I hope it all ends well for Rooney & the club. I don't think Utd will cash in as much as the other clubs, like Chelsea, as we've reduced our bargaining power already by not playing him & Rooney really is on a downslide. But we can still get a decent payment, plus get his wages off the book & opening up a roster slot, while Rooney can get another payday.

The Times said we might pay him the remainder of his contract (£15m) for him to leave this summer. Seems a bit odd

The Times understands the United and England captain is now expected to remain at Old Trafford until June.

By the time that the Chinese window reopens that month, Rooney will have 12 months left on his current deal, and United may choose to pay him the remainder of his wages — £15.6 million — if he departs, although there would be no obligation for them to do so.

Rooney is also likely to receive a loyalty bonus given that he has been at the club since 2004, when he signed from Everton in a £27 million deal.

There is a recent precedent for such an agreement as Robin van Persie was paid a bonus by United — believed to be £8.4 million — after just three years at the club following his £4 million move to Fenerbahce two years ago.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/united-could-pay-rooney-to-leave-club-ctxg5f7h2

who the hell wants to pay a striker in this country 250k per week, when he cant run, cant control the ball and doesnt score goals. Its like going out to by a Mercedes and then realizing you cannot drive it as it has no engine

Why would you want to pay someone that much even if he could. Because customers want to see him, not good football. And if the quality of the league is quite low, he'll probably shine anyway.

Agree to an extent. He should have more marque value than either of those players, which one would think the Chinese clubs are going after, not really for footballing value. It seems they are going more for splash than real value, so Rooney should be a valued commodity. Of course, the club being managed by Cannavaro might actually be looking to build something so they passed for now, but maybe they'll be back in for him once the other clubs start sniffing around.

Doubt it. Considering how much they are paying the mediocre 'stars' the league has lured, it's not the wages. Maybe Stretford overreached in his initial talks, but I doubt he wouldn't get a pay packet at par with those mentioned above, which is still highway robbery. It's quite possible Jose needed a security blanket, plus maybe Woody tried to milk the situation for more money than was feasible at the moment. It's not like the Chinese clubs aren't aware he's not starting anymore.

Whatever the case, I hope it all ends well for Rooney & the club. I don't think Utd will cash in as much as the other clubs, like Chelsea, as we've reduced our bargaining power already by not playing him & Rooney really is on a downslide. But we can still get a decent payment, plus get his wages off the book & opening up a roster slot, while Rooney can get another payday.

I am talking about European clubs not paying his wages. Of course Chinese clubs would throw obscene amounts of money at him because of his stature in the game

Some of the comments about Rooney have been a bit harsh tbf, considering how he's handled himself under Mourinho and not made any waves about his reduced playing time. He might actually just be happy to wind down his last 18 months. I wouldn't have a problem with that. He's obviously not banging down Mourinho's door demanding that he play him. There are a few players that I'd rather see leave ahead of him anyway, that's for sure. I agree that any move to China is going to finish him though.

None of that makes any sense, we'd just let him run his contract out.

I also doubt RvP was paid a service 'bonus', it will have been a mutually agreed fee because we wanted rid of him or some performance based element.
RVP was also probably taking a wage cut to leave United. So some money as a sweetener to convince him to leave makes some sense

Paying Rooney so he can go double his wage doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.