Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading the various conflicting stories now. Seems half the press are reporting he's off and Stretford is in China while the other half say he isn't interested in a move to China.

A bit of good cop, bad cop with the press? On the one hand it's pushing the door open to a move, on the other hand an attempt to make clear the move is not attractive to him and he will cost a lot.
The Times is reporting the club might have to pay off his contract to go, so many of the press reports might be being used by Stretford to establish his negotiating position.

Also confirms the greed.

Just reading the various conflicting stories now. Seems half the press are reporting he's off and Stretford is in China while the other half say he isn't interested in a move to China.

A bit of good cop, bad cop with the press? On the one hand it's pushing the door open to a move, on the other hand an attempt to make clear the move is not attractive to him and he will cost a lot.

I think Stretford is getting the story out to create a buzz. I was reading, I think on the BBC, that the way transfers are done into the Chinese league isn't through scouting but through clubs basically deciding which positions they need players and then agents approaching with players they think fit that profile. With there only being two teams who could afford Rooney with spaces open for foreign players I think Stretford is using the press to get pressure put on the clubs by their fans. There are a lot of united fans in asia so fans seeing their team linked to Rooney would create a huge buzz and I think he is trying to use that to his advantage to get the deal across which wouldn't otherwise be rushed across the line like this so little time left in the window. The conflicting stories are coming from people who have done the maths and see it is difficult to get such a huge deal done so quickly so hedging their bets.

BBC says agent is in China. Would probably mean there is a plan, probably in summer
Yes that's more likely IMO.

I do wonder if that happens, Mourinho will completely push him out of the team for the remainder of the season

I am a big Rooney fan but I agree that for a Club aiming to become a challenger for PL/CL title within the next few years again he just does not cut it anymore.
Not sure about the China move. I could imagine him still being able to do a job for some mid table Clubs in Italy, France or Germany as main striker.
I mean even Guido Burgstaller is scoring for Schalke.

Of course he would Need to accept a pay cut of 50 % or more. So it depends if he is looking for Money or playing some more years on the highest Level.

I still think he only goes to China if he doesn't get a half decent offer from elsewhere.

Difficult one to call at the moment. I'm sure if his agent is in China, the first course of action is to try and get a similar deal in the Summer rather than leave in the next five days. May not be an option.

I'd like us to win the League Cup and he get to lift the trophy for us (coming on as a sub). But if he decides to go before then, ah well.

But I don't think you understand the value he brings to the dressing room, I think he should move on next season but he has a part to play this season, even if it means keeping lingard out the team
No offence meant mate but how do you know how much value he brings to the dressing room? And do you think we can justify paying someone 250k a week solely because they get on with the other players? Surely Ibra does the senior pro role just as well.

Think selling him before the Summer is a risk. He's saved our bacon a couple of times this season coming off the bench.

Yes that's more likely IMO.

I do wonder if that happens, Mourinho will completely push him out of the team for the remainder of the season
Don't think that ll happen. We have complete fecked up April fixture list if we move ahead in all competitions. Rooney, despite his flaws, is not in a state that he cant set a foot on the pitch. Mou will be pragmatic and not waste time thinking "His mind is already in China"

Criticized him too often lately, but sad to see a club legend leave. Hoped he stays till the end of his career here but it seems not possible too.

the guy is a millionaire already. If I was him I'd move to the MLS and still earn a fortune over there instead. It's not like he needs the (extra) money...
really depends how you look at it. I know he's worth a tone of money, but if the reported £1m a week from China is for say 3 years, that's £150m. I'm pretty sure Lampard and Gerrard were on $6m per year in the MLS. I know there's the toss up between China and the US and it really depends on the person and their family situation. Me, i'd look at the two figures, know both leagues aren't that great anyway and chose China as it would set the family up for generations.

A week back, he was our Logan. And now he is being allowed to leave.
I am not even sure if the world is ready to face our Logan.

I don't care where he goes. just want him gone so the club can move forward.

I think fans should shown a bit more respect for what the player has achieved at the club. We are moving forward with him at the moment and will continue to when he is gone. We should handle his departure with class and dignity, not by pushing a club legend out of the door.

That or the press have no clue and are just guessing to make headlines!

Think selling him before the Summer is a risk. He's saved our bacon a couple of times this season coming off the bench.

If we had kept your namesake he would saved our bacon a lot more and cost a fraction of what Mr Rooney does.

And potentially the most stupid call of all time if the club fall for it!

It would never happen. We have him until 2019 already. We used to have a one year top up on players over 30, we got bent over the barrel a bit with his last contract anyway because of the place we were in, we are now in a much stronger position.

I think people have very strange views on China... It's an amazing country with fantastic cities.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would go near America at the moment - sure, the MLS has a higher standard of football compared to China, but the country is less interesting and the pay is a fraction of what you'd get in China... It's a country on the way down.

I think he'll go the China in the summer. And I hope he gets a proper send off - absolute legend, I'm not sure there's been a better player at this club in my lifetime.

No offence meant mate but how do you know how much value he brings to the dressing room? And do you think we can justify paying someone 250k a week solely because they get on with the other players? Surely Ibra does the senior pro role just as well.
Because he's been club captain for donkeys picked by 3 different managers and national team captain again picked by multiple managers so it's clear as day he is a positive influence

I think people have very strange views on China... It's an amazing country with fantastic cities.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would go near America at the moment - sure, the MLS has a higher standard of football compared to China, but the country is less interesting and the pay is a fraction of what you'd get in China... It's a country on the way down.

I think he'll go the China in the summer. And I hope he gets a proper send off - absolute legend, I'm not sure there's been a better player at this club in my lifetime.
Personally I think China is a disgusting country because if it's human rights policies and treatment of animals but I'd move for atleast a month if they offered me a stupid amount of money

I think people have strange views of Rooney...

We are doing okay without him at the moment. If letting him leave now means we get a decent deal for him financially then I guess we should go for it.

The fixtures are piling up thick and fast which is the main concern.

Still, I'd rather see Zlatan, Rashford or Martial ahead of him up front, and Mata, Mhiki and Lingard ahead of him at number 10, so that's a lot of options.

In fact, aside from Fellaini there isn't a single attacking option in our squad I would play him over.

If we have any decent luck with injuries we won't need him.

For the more clued up, do we have any decent youngsters that could fill in gaps?

Because he's been club captain for donkeys picked by 3 different managers and national team captain again picked by multiple managers so it's clear as day he is a positive influence
There is a difference between having influence, or being a positive influence.

Rooney has influence because he has been around for so long, and he is a jokey, fun character. People like him because he is the naughty kid at school who is always kidding around.

Most coaches don't want to upset the apple cart so they continue with him being captain.

Do the squad really miss him when he's not there? not on the pitch that's for sure.

At 1 stage we used to fall apart without him in the team, now we look better. That's a sign it's time for him to move on.

Criticized him too often lately, but sad to see a club legend leave. Hoped he stays till the end of his career here but it seems not possible too.

Well it more or less is the end of his career, he's had his testimonial at least

Wish I had your faith.
Why would we though? He clearly doesn't feature in the plans of JM and is on big money. JM admitted in the last few days that he doesn't know if he will be here next season. We are hardly going to turn around and offer an extension. We might take up our option on the extra year we have in his contract like we did with Fellaini but that would be just to protect our investment.

Why would we though? He clearly doesn't feature in the plans of JM and is on big money. JM admitted in the last few days that he doesn't know if he will be here next season. We are hardly going to turn around and offer an extension. We might take up our option on the extra year we have in his contract like we did with Fellaini but that would be just to protect our investment.

With the money he is on we wont be getting a fee, thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.