View full 2015-16 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swansea - We were the better team. Swansea scored two in like 10 mins. Other than that, they didn't do much

Southampton - After first 20 mins, we were easily the better team.

Wolfsburg - Once they scored, they dropped off and allowed us to have the ball.

Arsenal - Battered us in the first half, went 3 nil up in 20 mins.
You did see the end to that game? We were hanging on for dear life.

The game vs Swansea was pretty even. They were creating great chances already in the first half.

We had more possession than Southampton after the first 20 min. till the last 20 min. but weren't threatening before Mata stepped up. He created a good chance for Memphis and then contributed to Martial's first goal. Besides, we didn't create more chances than them, they had more shots on target.

Against Wolfsburg Mata won and scored the pen and assisted the winner after we were a goal down in a crucial game.

Besides, even if it were true that we were in control in these games, it's not as if Mata didn't contribute to our dominanance but only utilised it. We were "in control" partly because Mata was palying well...

What's your criterion of being in control? Having more possession? Then we were in control against Arsenal after they scored their 2nd goal. And what's your point anyway? That Mata doesn't play well when we don't have a lot of possession? Isn't it quite natural for a forward to be more useful when his team plays with the ball?
If he is saying we were in control in these games it was despite Rooney not because of him.

Thought he was poor first half, but actually pretty good second half, best I have seen him play for a while.

Waduh bang, gak salah liat?

He gives away possession cheaply on several occassion. Cheaply, he simply pass the ball to them. He's always clogging up the midfield, the way he's standing he's standing behind 2 defenders and probably won't get anything, he never makes himself available for a pass.

Look at Sanchez, Aguero, Martial, that's what's a striker supposed to do. All he does these days is ping it back/sideways and pretend to run, and hides away from the action.

Beneran, gak salah liat kok ;)

Maybe 'good' is exaggeration, but at least he showed that he cared and displayed some kind of willingness to get stuck in. Good enough compared to the Rooney of yesteryear? Of course not. I believe he's past it and I think it's only going downhill for him from now on. As a matter of fact, so far this season I've given him an average rating of 4.3 compared to the Caf's 5.4.

That said, I'll give him credit when he does well because yesterday he was definitely one of our best players in a very bad bunch.

Last edited:
Second half was probably the best I've seen him play for at least two years, probably since his second half sub appearance against Swansea in Moyes' first game. The issue is, despite this, I still gave him a 5 out of 10 for his entire performance, which is close to the best he can do at the moment.

I do not apologise that I've been secretly hoping he gets injured, or at least suspended for a few. This is what it's come to.

A lot of people are criticising his goal scoring, which is obviously justified, but I haven't seen many people mention how poor his creativity is nowadays.

He has played a combined 975 minutes in the league, europe and league cup this season. He has one assist and that was when Walker tackled him and scored an own goal.

Last season he played 2877 minutes in the league alone and managed five assists, Young did the same in 800 less minutes, Di Maria managed twice as many in 1200 less minutes.

These are shocking stats for a player who is supposed to be a creative force. He was pathetic as a #9 at the start of the season so we signed Martial, but that should have forced Rooney to the bench. Moving him back to #10 instead was a cowardly decision.

A lot of people are criticising his goal scoring, which is obviously justified, but I haven't seen many people mention how poor his creativity is nowadays.

He has played a combined 975 minutes in the league, europe and league cup this season. He has one assist and that was when Walker tackled him and scored an own goal.

Last season he played 2877 minutes in the league alone and managed five assists, Young did the same in 800 less minutes, Di Maria managed twice as many in 1200 less minutes.

He was pathetic as a #9 at the start of the season so we signed Martial, but that should have forced Rooney to the bench. Moving him back to #10 instead was a cowardly decision.
I think he's goals is the least he's been criticised for.

How come Rooney has become so unfit?

He always was erratic with his first touch and passing, and often took time to get into the grove. This season also his passing and first touch are improving but the decline in his physical abilities is shocking! He was completely bullied on the ball by Arsenal players (this is important to repeat... Arsenal playing bullying physically!). Defensively also he was completely useless. I don't know how it has come to this, at age of 29. This is Anderson level of fitness this...

How come Rooney has become so unfit?

He always was erratic with his first touch and passing, and often took time to get into the grove. This season also his passing and first touch are improving but the decline in his physical abilities is shocking! He was completely bullied on the ball by Arsenal players (this is important to repeat... Arsenal playing bullying physically!). Defensively also he was completely useless. I don't know how it has come to this, at age of 29. This is Anderson level of fitness this...
All reports say he's been in the best shape fitness wise he's been in years. I just think he's not physically neat he was when he was younger. It's like his body can't keep up with his mind. His, acceleration, touch, dribbling, physicality have all gone. I don't think its an issue of fitness. In the last year, more than one player has called him the hardest trainer.

I saw him lose a physical contest with Borini the other day and then complaining to the red. my first thought was My God is this Wayne Rooney?

All reports say he's been in the best shape fitness wise he's been in years. I just think he's not physically neat he was when he was younger. It's like his body can't keep up with his mind. His, acceleration, touch, dribbling, physicality have all gone. I don't think its an issue of fitness. In the last year, more than one player has called him the hardest trainer.
I have been saying this for ages, he looks years older than he actually is. It might as well be his dad out there playing. I think it has caught up on him, starting playing very young and the body type he is would take it's toll earlier than most players.

So, assuming LVG is being honest, neither goals or performances matter when it comes to Rooney. What an utterly ridiculous situation. Only someone with the footballing intelligence of a Schweinsteiger could justify inclusion on the mere basis of presence and nous.

The way he constantly argues with the officials annoys me. Every single time he/we lose a 50/50 or give away a freekick he is in there yelling. Focus on your own game Wayne.

Van Gaal clearly believes the international break would be an opportune period in which to allow the 29-year-old striker to recharge his batteries.

He won’t force the issue but believes England manager Roy Hodgson could strike a compromise and play Rooney in just one of the games, ideally Friday night’s Wembley visit of Estonia and leave him out of the trip to Lithuania.

When asked if he would like Rooney rested or at least used sparingly in the next two England games Van Gaal said: “He is the captain of the team. I would be very pleased, because Rooney is playing all the matches with me.

“But you cannot mix the interests of the English national team with Manchester United."

“I shall be very pleased when he (Hodgson) spares him for a match, because England have already qualified. But he is still the captain. And I know that.”

Questioned whether Van Gaal would have a conversation with Hodgson over his concerns the Old Trafford boss added: “He (Hodgson) is a wise man.”

Feck me, may the lord have mercy on our souls.

Ahhh just everything about how he plays football nowadays bugs me. Just when I thought I couldn't be more pissed at him he returned with his chip, where he passes the ball to the opposition keeper with options all around.

This so called good second half against Arsenal, I didn't see it. He certainly was involved more but again his sloppy touch and zero creativy was on display.
The chance Schweinsteiger got, came about after Rooney miskicked the ball. He lost the ball when Ox hit the bar. And just what is the point of his signature long balls to the right? They are always aimed straight at the winger, not into his stride, so if the pass is successful the winger has always been closed down. He also takes close to zero chances on the ball, making him very frustrating to watch. His critical loss of physical attributes, added to the way he's playing the game, make him absolutely done at Premier League level.

He is still in this media bubble, Van Gaal never subs him and always talks him up, the match going fans sing his name like always. It makes me wonder, does he actually realize he's playing crap?

To be honest, looking at the squad it'll probably be him and Kane starting both matches.

He must have some clause in his contract that he must play every game, that's the only reasonable explanation for being picked every week after the shit performances he's put in in the last 7-8 months.

I remember having a similar opinion of him last year. And the year before. I bet I'll be airing similar opinions next year and the year after too.

Ahhh just everything about how he plays football nowadays bugs me. Just when I thought I couldn't be more pissed at him he returned with his chip, where he passes the ball to the opposition keeper with options all around.

This so called good second half against Arsenal, I didn't see it. He certainly was involved more but again his sloppy touch and zero creativy was on display.
The chance Schweinsteiger got, came about after Rooney miskicked the ball. He lost the ball when Ox hit the bar. And just what is the point of his signature long balls to the right? They are always aimed straight at the winger, not into his stride, so if the pass is successful the winger has always been closed down. He also takes close to zero chances on the ball, making him very frustrating to watch. His critical loss of physical attributes, added to the way he's playing the game, make him absolutely done at Premier League level.

He is still in this media bubble, Van Gaal never subs him and always talks him up, the match going fans sing his name like always. It makes me wonder, does he actually realize he's playing crap?

Good question. Would he even care if he knew? I don't know. This isn't a criticism but I genuinely feel that Rooney sincerely believes he's above all, and he seems to be intent on consolidating his legacy. I think he's so intent on this, he's forgotten that as an active player you still need to give 100%. I think without him realising it, he's lost his desire. Basti may be older than him and won more, but he still has the desire, if not the physicality of old. His ego and the constant media crap of praising him plus the club putting him on a pedestal is just distorting that image he has of himself even more. So he might think any criticism is just crap or fickle fans complaining.

Seeing the egos of Gerrard and Terry and the trouble they can cause when they're no longer the player they were, I have really no hope that Rooney is going to change that trend and I'm not looking forward to this.

Can someone gif one of his long, aired cross field balls from inside our own half to Valencia half way inside the opposition's half, a ball that takes an age to arrive at Valencia's feet who then doesn't trust himself to run in the direction of the opposition byline so instead turns back and plays the ball 20 m behind where he just was.

Do you think before you make those passes Wayne (Wazza)? Answers on a postage stamp.

In the way the press have asked Mourinho about Terry and Ivanovic and Wenger about Ospina, I was hoping that this week a journo / media would directly ask LVG the question on Rooney's form.

He looks like a fan who's won a competition to captain the team for a day.

Absolutley rubbish in all aspects.

So on one hand you are saying:

All reports say he's been in the best shape fitness wise he's been in years...I don't think its an issue of fitness. In the last year, more than one player has called him the hardest trainer.

And on the other hand:

It's like his body can't keep up with his mind. His, acceleration, touch, dribbling, physicality have all gone.

I saw him lose a physical contest with Borini the other day and then complaining to the red. my first thought was My God is this Wayne Rooney?

So he is fit but physically lacking?

The press are shit scared of asking Van Gaal hard questions I think. He'll do his "that's a stupid question" routine, stare the journo down hard and instruct the media person not to allow that journo to ask a question for the next 3 press conferences.

He must have some clause in his contract that he must play every game, that's the only reasonable explanation for being picked every week after the shit performances he's put in in the last 7-8 months.
We heard rumours that there was a clause in his contract that he should be captain. When LVG came in we thought that's not true, LVG will surely pick RVP etc etc. Yet, he's the captain. I don't know, but I believe there are some clauses in his contract that will cost us and always playing when fit could possibly be one of them. Yes, for all the brilliant people running United, they might just have made that mistake because at that time, we were crap with Moyes and the marketing men could not abide Rooney leaving at that point as well. Rooney and his agent had us by the balls, it's therefore not inconceivable that we acceded to his wishes one of which might have been playing all the time. Ed Woodward, not a football man, would not have recognised that Rooney was already declining so probably thought nothing of agreeing to this. Moyes who should have known better didn't care as he only thought of himself and his position at that time and wanted an ally in Rooney. SAF couldn't have any say because of his history with Rooney and the fact he'd chosen Moyes who was proving a disaster. All those things happening made it a perfect time for Rooney to get what he wanted.

So yeah, I can believe we've agreed to something stupid that's now costing us big time.

Reactions: SteveJ
So on one hand you are saying:

And on the other hand:

So he is fit but physically lacking?
Lol. I don't think you understand what I am saying. His match fitness, in terms of lasting 90 minutes might be at the best it's been in ages. But his body cannot physically do what he has done in the past.

We heard rumours that there was a clause in his contract that he should be captain. When LVG came in we thought that's not true, LVG will surely pick RVP etc etc. Yet, he's the captain. I don't know, but I believe there are some clauses in his contract that will cost us and always playing when fit could possibly be one of them. Yes, for all the brilliant people running United, they might just have made that mistake because at that time, we were crap with Moyes and the marketing men could not abide Rooney leaving at that point as well. Rooney and his agent had us by the balls, it's therefore not inconceivable that we acceded to his wishes one of which might have been playing all the time. Ed Woodward, not a football man, would not have recognised that Rooney was already declining so probably thought nothing of agreeing to this. Moyes who should have known better didn't care as he only thought of himself and his position at that time and wanted an ally in Rooney. SAF couldn't have any say because of his history with Rooney and the fact he'd chosen Moyes who was proving a disaster. All those things happening made it a perfect time for Rooney to get what he wanted.

So yeah, I can believe we've agreed to something stupid that's now costing us big time.
I think there may be something in that...I mean, he went to SAF said if you don't play me I'm off, and then Moyes comes in with a new bumper deal for him and I'm sure Rooney must have asked for a clause saying 'play me if I'm fit' or something. I dunno, it sounds pretty straw clutching but I can't think of any other reason why he hasn't been dropped.

I think there may be something in that...I mean, he went to SAF said if you don't play me I'm off, and then Moyes comes in with a new bumper deal for him and I'm sure Rooney must have asked for a clause saying 'play me if I'm fit' or something. I dunno, it sounds pretty straw clutching but I can't think of any other reason why he hasn't been dropped.
I really believe it, have for a long time and trust me, I don't do conspiracy and nonsense. But looking at everything overall, it is rather puzzling given everything that is happening with his form. It's right there in front of everyone's eyes an you cannot tell me that experienced coaching staff that we have cannot see this as well as us little lowly supporters who don't have their technical knowledge etc etc? Not only that, if playing him all the time continues to cause us problems and Louis is still not dropping him, then that would just solidify my belief about his contract. It's crazy to think that LVG would sacrifice his final job in football on account of an out of form player. That is madness. No way he would deliberately do that, so hence I believe his hands are tied to some extent here.

Best get Jones to tackle him in training cause I can't see any other solution here.

I would genuinely love to see the kind of game he has to play for Van Gaal to drop him. It would be absolutely horrific.

I would genuinely love to see the kind of game he has to play for Van Gaal to drop him. It would be absolutely horrific.
I think until he scores a hattrick of own goals, then pulls of the captains armband and stuffs it down LVG's throat, he's pretty safe.

Have someone already come here and pointed out forward passes, productivity and hard work?

He will start every single game when he's fit. Has he been benched even once under van Gaal?

Ferguson had the balls to drop him and would have sold him if he hadn't retired. Moyes have him a 6-year record contract. Who thought it was a good idea to keep Rooney here until he's nearly 34? It was never likely that Rooney would be good at 33 or 34.

I don't buy into the idea that Rooney's contract states he must always play.

It would be an utterly ludicrous thing for United to have agreed to, especially as it wasn't a short term deal but one that means he will be playing with us until he is almost 34.

Also if Van Gaal was genuinely being forced into having his team picked for him in such a way I'm sure it would have come out by now. He would realise he looks like an idiot constantly picking the same underperforming player and it would be leaked to the press. Hell, he is so honest and blunt he would probably have just said it himself the first time Rooney had a bad game. Instead he constantly raves about Rooney and talks him up more than any other player, is that something that Rooney's contract says the manager must do as well?

I don't buy into the idea that Rooney's contract states he must always play.

It would be an utterly ludicrous thing for United to have agreed to, especially as it wasn't a short term deal but one that means he will be playing with us until he is almost 34.

Also if Van Gaal was genuinely being forced into having his team picked for him in such a way I'm sure it would have come out by now. He would realise he looks like an idiot constantly picking the same underperforming player and it would be leaked to the press. Hell, he is so honest and blunt he would probably have just said it himself the first time Rooney had a bad game. Instead he constantly raves about Rooney and talks him up more than any other player, is that something that Rooney's contract says the manager must do as well?

Van Gaal seems very impressed with Rooney indeed.

These forward passes though...

It's very unlikely he has a clause like that. Going by what LVG says about him, he genuinely rates him as a player, captain and person. I do think his patience will eventually run out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.