View full 2015-16 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He lost the anger and fire after he did the metatarsal at Chelsea in 2006 to be fair.

Never been the same player since.

That's partially true, but he's been a great player after that injury also. He was sensational for us up until that injury. Never been one to hype the England NT but they would have gone for with a Rooney in the pre-injury form. He was our main bright light during our barren spell between 2004 and 2006. Hard to pick a favourite moment from that period, but I'll always remember his assist with the outside of his foot to C.Ronaldo during a 4-1 win against Bolton. That was pure genius.

lol, apart from the initial bit about the Arsenal game being his best performance in 2 years, I'd agree with Rozay. He deserved a 5 out 10 and yes, as extreme as it is, I would actually wish him injury to get him out of the team. It'd be better for the team, the manager and arguably the good for him too. Some time out whatever the circumstance will be good (in an idealistic world).
Yeah, that's the part I'm mainly referring to. Which is bollocks.

Rooney had quite a few top quality performances in the first half of the 13/14 season, most notably Real Sociedad at home. Which is much, much better than the Swansea game that was mentioned in Rozay's post. I honestly don't care about Rooney... I already knew he was on the decline, as did many on here, and that's why I wanted him to play as a centre-forward for us where he's less detrimental to the team. And now he's reached a stage where he doesn't even look like a decent first team option for us, which is sad because he's only 29.

Moving away from that, the thing I don't understand is people saying we're better with Rooney in the team (even when he's in poor form) because he's a leader. I seen that mentioned several times last season and this season... yet his performances suggest the opposite. He looks more like a dejected figure who struggles to hold the ball, especially down the channels, which is ironic because in the last couple of years he's been in great shape. At least under Moyes, he had the drive to fight for the ball and he was quite close to returning to his 11/12 form where he would play poorly but that wouldn't stop him from scoring/assisting goals. However, when your body fails you and you're in a comfortable position of starting every game regardless of form, no amount of drive is going to help you out.

Seeing the egos of Gerrard and Terry and the trouble they can cause when they're no longer the player they were, I have really no hope that Rooney is going to change that trend and I'm not looking forward to this.

With Terry - Mourinho has benched him. So Terry has got the message.
With Gerrard - he was also benched and eventually left because the manager told him he wouldn't get much game time.
Rooney - he starts every game, even if he is carrying an injury. Totally undroppable.

Looking forward to the 'needs a few games under his belt to get in form again after an injury layoff'.

An even better excuse is that because Rooney was great 5-10 years ago, so he should get game time, today.
Maybe we should sign up Shearer, after all, he was one of the best finishers 20 years ago and we desperately need a finisher. ;)

That's partially true, but he's been a great player after that injury also. He was sensational for us up until that injury. Never been one to hype the England NT but they would have gone for with a Rooney in the pre-injury form. He was our main bright light during our barren spell between 2004 and 2006. Hard to pick a favourite moment from that period, but I'll always remember his assist with the outside of his foot to C.Ronaldo during a 4-1 win against Bolton. That was pure genius.

To be honest England fecked him up by bringing him to the World Cup in 06 against Fergie's wishes and Rooney himself alluded to it in the documentary that he wouldn't have gone with hindsight. Also I actually think it was the injury against Bayern that really screwed him in the end. He just never seemed as explosive again despite having a brilliant second half of the season as a 10 in 2011 behind Hernandez. Again England brought him to the World Cup in 2010 despite the fact he clearly wasn't fit to be there. Couple this with being a regular starter since 16/17 in an intense league and it's easy to see that his legs may have just gone. Don't get me wrong he may well burst into form this year and answer some of the critics but it's really starting to seem like his body isn't up to it anymore. I just really hope he breaks Charlton's record before he's fully finished because I'd love to see it done in my lifetime and IMO he deserves it for his service and past performances for us.

On the aggression this, it may be true but I can't see LVG encouraging that type of behaviour. He can't bare us playing on his for small periods of time let alone encouraging his captain to play more off the cuff. For what it's worth I still believe he was by far our best player under Moyes barring De Gea. Obviously it's not top level but if the others had performed as well as he had that season we wouldn't have ended up out of the top 4.

It's not LVG's patience I'm questioning anymore. It's his sanity and sense.

Well, the football pundits all seem to agree that Rooney is the best striker in England and must play for club and country.
There are many fans on here, who believe that is definitely one of our best players.
So not everybody shares your view.

I, however, do share your view.

Well there is criticism and I criticize him as well, but people on here go way over the top unecessarily and just revert to saying it's a shit performance even if he puts in a decent one these days. The majority on here just don't like him, or at least that's what it feels like.

He does receive more criticism than other players on cafe when he has a bad game, but do you really expect anything else considering his status at this club? He is undropable, clubs most paid player, captain of the club, van Gaal said he even helps him pick the team ffs, and yet he is our worst player this season. And what's worst, not once van Gaal said a bad word on his performances or subbed him. And I don't need to tell you his status in the media, they simply refuse to say anything bad about him even when he is clearly worst player on the pitch and plays like a drunk. Instead, they always focus their attention to other players. That's just baffling, I don't think there is single player in the world who gets that kind of threatment from his manager and media. Even Ronaldo and Messi are criticised in media(from their club's papers actually) when their form is bad, but not our Wayne.

Thing that people don't like him doesn't have much to do with their perception of his performances on the pitch. He also receives more praise for a good game than any other player, people love to comment Wayne Rooney is all.

Well, the football pundits all seem to agree that Rooney is the best striker in England and must play for club and country.
There are many fans on here, who believe that is definitely one of our best players.

I just think the pundits are saying that crap to be politically correct in front of local viewers. Also, fans who support him seem to judge his current form on his past record. His current form is not a blip; it's been horrendous for a long while now. Hamann was right in pointing out his decline. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but for LVG to continue to consider him undroppable or sub him off, it baffles me. Now whenever he takes a few good touches or connects with simple stuff like passing he gets praised ; that should tell one heaps about how shite he is.

You can't expect the English journos to be honest as England have yet to find his replacement as the figurehead of the national team, and the pundits are mixed between his buddies and those that are hoping LvG continues to be oblivious/forced to play him as they want us to do badly. It's the same with all the Giggs as manager stuff rattling around from his cronies in punditry and abu journos.

Last edited:
I suspect notwithstanding his somewhat less than impressive club performances, that Rooney will continue to be Hodgson's first choice as striker.

Whether he deserves that uncritical privilege remains to be seen.

He's not even the best striker in our reserves team

I suspect notwithstanding his somewhat less than impressive club performances, that Rooney will continue to be Hodgson's first choice as striker.

Whether he deserves that uncritical privilege remains to be seen.

Of course he deserves to be England's striker, he's the only player who scores consistently for them. Since Hodgson took over Rooney has scored 22 goals for England, next is Welbeck on 13, then Lampard on 6. However shitty he is in the build-up play, he sticks the ball in the back of the next far more often than anybody else, and that's a pretty important part of football.

Of course he deserves to be England's striker, he's the only player who scores consistently for them. Since Hodgson took over Rooney has scored 22 goals for England, next is Welbeck on 13, then Lampard on 6. However shitty he is in the build-up play, he sticks the ball in the back of the next far more often than anybody else, and that's a pretty important part of football.

Oh really. And how many of those goals have actually been scored in a major tournament?

England games (and goal scorers).
vs Estonia, Walcott, Sterling
vs Switzerland, Kane, Rooney (pen)
vs San Marino, Rooney (pen), Brolli (og), Barkley, Walcott 2, Kane
vs Slovenia , Wilshere 2, Rooney
vs R. of Ireland, no goals
vs Italy, Townsend
vs Lithuania, Rooney Welbeck Sterling Kane

So in the last 7 games,
Rooney has scored: 2 penalties, 2 in open play
Walcott: 3 in open play
Kane: 3 in open play

Based on the above, his international goal scoring form is as good as any of his English peers.

Lets take a look at his league form:
(name: goal count)
Vardy: 7
Aguero: 6
6 players: 5
Rooney: 1

Based on the above, his EPL goal scoring form is terrible.

vs Italy, Townsend

So in the last 7 games,

Based on the above, his international goal scoring form is as good as any of his English peers.

look at the calibre of teams he is playing against for England

vs Italy, Townsend

So in the last 7 games,

I think his record is supposed to be better than any other England's forward considering he is the only one who plays there regulary for England. Last time Welbeck was starter, he was scoring at better rate than Rooney.

Just my two cents, I am not critisiseing him considering I don't watch that much of England recently, I just don't think your logic is correct there.

I said before the Wolfsburg game that it was an important week for Rooney and he needed to show he wasn't just a flat-track bully now. He was poor both games and now is back to square one with an injury. If LVG can't handle this situation correctly it could cost us the entire season.

Rooney needs to play his way back into the team now. We can't keep handing him starts in the expectation he'll come good after a run of a few games, because his body is at the point where it can't handle that any more. He needs to rediscover his sharpness in training. If, somehow, he's fit for the Everton game he can come on as a sub for that. And if he makes a positive impact then he can earn himself a spot against City. Otherwise not.

Rooney needs to play his way back into the team now. We can't keep handing him starts in the expectation he'll come good after a run of a few games, because his body is at the point where it can't handle that any more. He needs to rediscover his sharpness in training. If, somehow, he's fit for the Everton game he can come on as a sub for that. And if he makes a positive impact then he can earn himself a spot against City. Otherwise not.
he'll be fit for Everton, no doubt about that. Even if 80% fit he plays. when Moyes played Bayern in the away leg he stayed on for 90 mins when he couldn't even kick the ball

he'll be fit for Everton, no doubt about that. Even if 80% fit he plays. when Moyes played Bayern in the away leg he stayed on for 90 mins when he couldn't even kick the ball
:(

Are you counting qualifies? Because I'm not.

No I'm counting WC14 and Euro 12. Although Rooney was our top scorer in both of those qualification's, and this one, and in fact every qualifying we've had since the last time we failed to qualify.

Athletes are like cars. Some last longer than others, but eventually they'll have too much mileage (game time, injuries etc) and they'll be finished.

This was the case of Falcao last season, and sadly looks like it is with Rooney now. He's been in decline the last few years, but this season has been awful.

I think he'll leave United after the Euros.

My point is though, the fact that he's scored most of his goals against cannon fodder teams shouldn't be discounted.

Of course he has, but that's true of all players simply because it's easier to score against poorer teams. The truth of the matter is that we've been poor for the best part of a decade now and have been completely outplayed by every good team we've come up against in tournaments during that time so expecting him to have some sort of stellar record would be ludicrous. It's not as if we have other options banging down the door either, Sturridge is a crock, Welbeck is injured, Kane can't buy a goal for Spurs and Walcott is only scoring against the same cannon-fodder that Rooney is being derided for scoring against. Rooney may be in decline but he's still the most likely player to knock in a few goals for us next summer imo. After that we should look ahead, but a major tournament is not the time to take a gamble when we have a solid, if unspectacular goalscorer already in the team.

Of course he has, but that's true of all players simply because it's easier to score against poorer teams. The truth of the matter is that we've been poor for the best part of a decade now and have been completely outplayed by every good team we've come up against in tournaments during that time so expecting him to have some sort of stellar record would be ludicrous. It's not as if we have other options banging down the door either, Sturridge is a crock, Welbeck is injured, Kane can't buy a goal for Spurs and Walcott is only scoring against the same cannon-fodder that Rooney is being derided for scoring against. Rooney may be in decline but he's still the most likely player to knock in a few goals for us next summer imo. After that we should look ahead, but a major tournament is not the time to take a gamble when we have a solid, if unspectacular goalscorer already in the team.

Fair enough. But England aside, he really should be dropped for us. There's no possible defence against his form which has been going on for longer than this season.

Probably although we don't really have many options do we. Our wingers are needed in defence and Herrera is injured, it's pretty much down to Fellaini or Wilson.

I don't have a subscription but I would appreciate if someone can post or inbox me the write up. Mathew Syed writes very well.

No way they'd come close to his wages. You'd be stuck paying 70% of them.

It's not always that simple.

Some players receive a part of their contract as a severance package (aka a loyalty bonus) when they are sold while others forfeit it to force a move (which is generally beneficial to the player anyway).

If we received £20m from Everton for Rooney, we might need to give Rooney £18m of that as a contract payment meaning we'd only get £2m, so where is the benefit?

The benefit is that he's off the books and paid up using external money.

So while we don't benefit from much of a transfer fee, we have used the money to tie up his contract and can offer it elsewhere.

That scenario beats having him here stinking out the place for 3 more years and paying him for the privalige.

So if Rooney had 3 years left at £200k a week (£10.4m a year, £31.2m total) and we agreed to receive £20m from Everton for him and agreed an £18m loyalty package with Rooney, rather than being £31.2m down in 3 years, we'd be £2m up meaning we'd be £33.2m better off than had we not sold him.

That way Rooney gets £18m+Everton contract and he's no worse off either.

Everyone benefits in one way or another, none of this "paying 70% of his wages" business.

It's not an ideal situation, you'd rather profit from selling such a high profile player but that's what you get for offering a 28 year old such a long massive contract when there is a good chance he will decline hugely before its up. Cheers Moyseh.

Last edited:

He's a must in the first XI against Everton. Even if he cannot run we should just stick him out there and ask him to just be present.

If Rooney leaves it will be like RvP last summer. Sold for a small fee to a team in a much weaker league.

With his contract, I doubt we'd get more an £5m. A free transfer is even more reasonable.

It's not always that simple.

Some players receive a part of their contract as a severance package (aka a loyalty bonus) when they are sold while others forfeit it to force a move (which is generally beneficial to the player anyway).

If we received £20m from Everton for Rooney, we might need to give Rooney £18m of that as a contract payment meaning we'd only get £2m, so where is the benefit?

The benefit is that he's off the books and paid up using external money.

So while we don't benefit from much of a transfer fee, we have used the money to tie up his contract and can offer it elsewhere.

That scenario beats having him here stinking out the place for 3 more years and paying him for the privalige.

So if Rooney had 3 years left at £200k a week (£10.4m a year, £31.2m total) and we agreed to receive £20m from Everton for him and agreed an £18m loyalty package with Rooney, rather than being £31.2m down in 3 years, we'd be £2m up meaning we'd be £33.2m better off than had we not sold him.

That way Rooney gets £18m+Everton contract and he's no worse off either.

Everyone benefits in one way or another, none of this "paying 70% of his wages" business.

It's not an ideal situation, you'd rather profit from selling such a high profile player but that's what you get for offering a 28 year old such a long massive contract when there is a good chance he will decline hugely before its up. Cheers Moyseh.
Your logic is sound apart from the fact there isnt a snowballs chance in hell we get £20 million for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.