View full 2015-16 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expecting absolute pelters for saying this, but he was our best player under the WhoScored rating system.

Thought Martial was probably our most dangerous myself, but after that, you're struggling to say anyone was clearly better than Rooney.

Because we were shit, the difference is that Rooney has been his usual self, while is teammates joined him.

If you look at him now and a picture of him even 2 or 3 years ago, it's clear that's he improved his fitness and his diet, the problem is he's getting older and eventually abusing your body will catch up with you. I can't fault his effort today, it's just that his body is failing him.

I have been a fan of his, I have defended him for a very long time but no, he wasn't good today, he hasn't been good once this season.

Maybe I went over the top when I said he was good today, but it was certainly one of his better games this season.

Showed some desire in the second half but there's no getting away from the fact that he looks past it. These days it's painful watching him.

We didnt need him to be slightly less worse than Depay. We needed him to be much better and he wasnt. That said, him on the wing his far better than anywhere else so far.

If you look at him now and a picture of him even 2 or 3 years ago, it's clear that's he improved his fitness and his diet, the problem is he's getting older and eventually abusing your body will catch up with you. I can't fault his effort today, it's just that his body is failing him.
That is not true at all. Yes he has lost pace and that is understandable to a certain extent but his piss poor first touch are not as a result of him getting older.

Stick him on the left and ship him off at the end of the season.

He might have improved but he isn't doing enough on the pitch to be first pick for every game, surely even his biggest Rooney apologist can see this.

It's depressing how bad he is.

It wouldn't be so depressing if he wasn't for some inexplicable reason garunteed the shirt every game. And it's not as if we don't have the option to play someone else at 10 either or switch the system and play three central midfielders like we should have been doing this afternoon. Each time he loses the ball or hits a wayward pass I have the words 'the captain shall always play' ringing in my ears.

Great player for us over the years.

He's finished now though. I don't think that sharpness is something he can get back. He needs to go at the end of the season. The MLS is made for him

I can't believe anyone is defending him, being less shit than Memphis and Carrick were today does not equate to playing well. His first touch has a 20 yard radius, he has no short passing game and can't control the ball properly when trying to run with it.

Pretty much kills every attack with his first touch. If by some miracle he actually manages to keep the ball, its taken him so long that the momentum is gone.

He wouldn't start for any other team in the top 10.

I was going to suggest him playing on the left before the game, and now I wish I had so as not to seem reactionary. But I think if he must play, then out wide would be best for all concerned. It means play won't go through him centrally, hence we won't have to suffer his complete incompatibility in the middle. Out wide at least there's more allowance for error, i.e. it won't be as detrimental to our play.

Would also allow us to go back to 433 which I believe to be our strongest formation with the given players.

Let him compete with Depay who's been off form for weeks now.

An honest question, if he is playing this badly, and it is an known fact that he plays even worse each season in Merseyside, how badly could it be in the next game away at Everton, especially coming from an International window where Woy will still play him? I think it could be quite ugly.

An honest question, if he is playing this badly, and it is an known fact that he plays even worse each season in Merseyside, how badly could it be in the next game away at Everton, especially coming from an International window where Woy will still play him? I think it could be quite ugly.

:( You killed my spirit.

Don't even think it. Hopefully we can win without his input (whatever that might be). Must say LVG needs to know now he has to be dropped if he's not offering anything, and feck off to the marketing department if they're the ones who want him to play.

He was one of our best players in the 2nd half, drastically improved over the first half where the majority of our players were bad.

Don't even think it. Hopefully we can win without his input (whatever that might be). Must say LVG needs to know now he has to be dropped if he's not offering anything, and feck off to the marketing department if they're the ones who want him to play.
I have given up on him being dropped..So its not going to happen and we just have to deal with it.

Going after Rooney today shows just how agenda driven some posters are on here, there were atleast 5 or 6 players who had far worse games than Rooney and in the second half he was the only player how showed any kind of hunger to get back into the game. I know he has not been good this season but blaming him today when atleast half the team was playing like donkeys is just silly.

Going after Rooney today shows just how agenda driven some posters are on here, there were atleast 5 or 6 players who had far worse games than Rooney and in the second half he was the only player how showed any kind of hunger to get back into the game. I know he has not been good this season but blaming him today when atleast half the team was playing like donkeys is just silly.
He received the lowest rating out of all the outfield players in today's match, which I believe was uncalled for.

I think Rooney was at his best today. I mean his current best. That's his level nowadays.

Rooney still has quite a support within the club, from many fans and in the media. Therefore, LVG is reluctant to drop him. LVG is afraid that he could lose the dressing room and become an easy target for Rooney's friends in the media if he puts the latter on the bench. But with Rooney in the team he won't have much success on the pitch either...

I agree that there were worse players but he's the highest paid player, captain, our supposed talisman etc. etc. And the other players who were worse have played much better at points this season whereas Rooney has been poor in most games. If he strings together 4-5 good performances he'd get cut a lot more slack.

His best attack today was when he failed to control the ball which ended at Schweinsteiger who almost scored. :lol:

I agree with most of what you say, problem was why he didn't show that hunger in the first 30 minutes.
The game was over by the time he bothered his arse.

Seriously, I'm not taking the piss or being sarcastic, why do we think LVG is persisting with him? I've honestly got nothing beyond he's hoping he might start playing well again.

I will concur that he wasn't too bad today, within the context of the overall performance at least.

A shell of his former self. He was dire in the first half, along with most of the team. In the second half, he was clearly trying to pull the team back into the game, but aside from a couple of steals he really didn't have much to offer. He'll have more good games for United, but it really is starting to look like the writing is on the wall. Dropping him might make sense, but we really don't have anyone to fill his shoes. Plans need to be made to start phasing him out if the team, and the next two transfer windows should reflect that.

That people cling on to him trying harder or being better than other players today says just how far the expectation has fallen.

Gone well past some bad form and his performances over months suggest he's done - the odd moment aside, he's offered very little. That he's still first choice for a manager who's declared Falcao, RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck (madness) and Nani as being not good enough, would suggest it won't be long before he's gone. Forget Neymar, Mueller etc, Charlie Austin would offer more.

Seriously, I'm not taking the piss or being sarcastic, why do we think LVG is persisting with him?
he put all his bargaining chips on Rooney, and is left with egg on his face. Sent falcao, RVP and Hernandez packing for him. LVG could never have imagined he would be this bad though. If he wants to win a trophy in the next 18 months he has to get him out of the team, but maybe he might just leave it as Giggs' problem and avoid the carnage

I agree with most of what you say, problem was why he didn't show that hunger in the first 30 minutes.
The game was over by the time he bothered his arse.

I get your points lads but the second half of the game was at exhibition level due to a dominant Arsenal side sitting back and cruising to the full time whistle with the result in the bag. With possession and attacking momentum conceded by choice, if Rooney didn't start performing better it would have been a complete travesty.

Now with that said, it does not excuse the fact that in the first half he was abysmal and a big catalyst to their success from our perspective. Not the only one granted and it would be unfair to pinpoint the entire result on his display as others failed also but his lack of movement, control and awareness was one of the key drivers for Arsenal over running us in midfield.

I wish he had the same mentality as Neville.

Neville knew he was finished and rather than carrying on being a hinderance on the team he retired, wish Rooney had that mentality because he needs to leave the club next summer

he put all his bargaining chips on Rooney, and is left with egg on his face. Sent falcao, RVP and Hernandez packing for him. LVG could never have imagined he would be this bad though. If he wants to win a trophy in the next 18 months he has to get him out of the team, but maybe he might just leave it as Giggs' problem and avoid the carnage

Even without RVP and Hernandez it's not as though we don't have other options. Herrera could replace him directly or Mata could move infield with Young on the wing. Even Fellaini or Pereira!

Bitterly disappointed today, it's ok Ian Wright sitting there on Radio 5 saying us fans always blame him when the chips are down, but today the game just passed him by and it's becoming a common theme.
It's already been mentioned on here how it's frustrating that he seems to be guaranteed a start, but the best he deserved today was to be hauled off at half time.
This man is our captain and top earner, it's about time he backed it up again.

TBF they are hardly setting the heather on fire.

The lies your problem and the majority of Rooney's defenders, it's just not enough for Rooney to look better than six of our players or to deliver something close to the minimum acceptable level of performance. He is our talisman, our captain and his performances have to reflect that because there is no middle ground here. In games like today's he is the one we are supposed to look to for inspiration and leadership. If he can no longer do that then he is no longer fit for purpose and the weakness Van Gaal is showing right now explains exactly why he was a default choice for this job because if any one of the usual suspects were available he wouldn't be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.