Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone always remembers the long pass for Van Persies volley, nobody remember the 10 other hollywood balls that went straight to the opposition :wenger:

He had a few successful ones out to Valencia and a few unsuccessful ones.

It was clearly an instruction for him to do so. With more experience in CM he would be better at picking his moments to do so.

He had a few successful ones out to Valencia and a few unsuccessful ones.

It was clearly an instruction for him to do so. With more experience in CM he would be better at picking his moments to do so.

Interestingly, Rooney's pass completion rate for this season was at a 3 year high. 76.9%, 80.7% and 82.9% since the 2010/11 season. His long passing was 74% accurate this season. The much vaunted passer Jonny Evans long pass completion was at 66%.

Rooney had an underrated season for me. Granted, he had a few howlers throughout the season but a lot of United fans have turned on him and it colours their perception of him. Rooney had a few injuries this year too. It is interesting that so many United fans excuse Aguero's poor season due to him being out at the start of the year but Rooney gets no such allowances. I don't see Rooney going anywhere. Moyes knows his quality and will want to keep him.

So an 82.9% pass completion rate with 15 assists in all comps and 16 goals as well as 7 in 7 for his country + some assists. This in an injury hit season where he's played multiple positions. I'd like to see who we could bring in and do something similar to what Wayne has in an apparent 'poor' season.

So an 82.9% pass completion rate with 15 assists in all comps and 16 goals as well as 7 in 7 for his country + some assists. This in an injury hit season where he's played multiple positions. I'd like to see who we could bring in and do something similar to what Wayne has in an apparent 'poor' season.

I think that just shows though how highly rated he is, and how much people expect of him. We all know he is capable, but you must admit some of his performances has been below par.
Some games he has literally walked through, and then managed to grab a goal or an assist out of nowhere - I don't think that should mask some of his poor performances.

If Rooney was playing to his 100% capabilities he could have hit 30 goals this year too like RVP IMO.

So you expect him to hit 30 goals and 15 assists in 36 appearances? That's a tad unrealistic, especially for someone who has played much deeper and at times been tackling the likes of Phil Neville at his own corner flag.

So his record this season for club and country is

34 (6) games - 20 goals - 13 assists

Adam thinks that he should have

34 (6) games - 37 goals - 13 assists

That's 1.4 goals and assists per game!

I think that people are forgetting how many games that he missed through injury this year.

I know he had at least two assists for England, the Ox and Lampard goals vs Brazil.

Seems like people won't be happy unless he scores 30 goals, I could understand that if he was playing as a number 9. But as a number 10 his job is to score and create and that's what he's done. You can't have two players centrally who only score, one has to create and drop deep or the partnership won't work.

Some people criticised Rooney for not assisting last season much despite scoring 34. This season he scores and assists fairly equally. He can't please everyone. He's had one injury hit season, he'll be back to his best soon as he has been for the majority of his time here.

I think that people are forgetting how many games that he missed through injury this year.

Besides the deep cut he suffered against Fulham i believe [which is if debatable relevance considering Fergie's comments at the time], what were these other significant injuries he had to overcome?

Apart from the games he missed from the injury at Fulham, he missed Norwich away through injury as well as QPR at home. He then missed Newcastle at home, West Brom at home and Liverpool at home. He returned from injury in a sub appearance against Spurs. He didn't start the QPR or Real games, which again is less playing time considering the amount of games he missed already and missed the last two games of the season although not because of injury.

So I think it is fair to say that he's missed quite a lot of games and picked up some injuries which made it a bit stop/start instead of a run of games. However, when he did have a run of games, he did well to score and create as much as he did.

Besides the deep cut he suffered against Fulham i believe [which is if debatable relevance considering Fergie's comments at the time], what were these other significant injuries he had to overcome?

He was out, if memory serves, from around Christmas till a bit into the new year. His knee, I think. With that, the gash and some minor stuff as well, he must have lost a couple of months of being available and fully fit.

Apart from the games he missed from the injury at Fulham, he missed Norwich away through injury as well as QPR at home. He then missed Newcastle at home, West Brom at home and Liverpool at home. He returned from injury in a sub appearance against Spurs. He didn't start the QPR or Real games, which again is less playing time considering the amount of games he missed already and missed the last two games of the season although not because of injury.

So I think it is fair to say that he's missed quite a lot of games and picked up some injuries which made it a bit stop/start instead of a run of games. However, when he did have a run of games, he did well to score and create as much as he did.

Aye, that's the main point. He may not have been severely injured for two months - but all in all injuries definitely had an impact on his season.

we couldn't.....there's no one I can think of who we could realistically sign who can do what Rooney does

I think the onus is on Rooney to improve his attitude and make the best of his talents

Look at Ruud - guy was an incredible striker but attitude problems and an inability to be flexible with our new fast flowing football in 06/07 meant he was on his way

Either in part of full the time spent on the sidelines as a result of the Fulham injury should arguably be excluded from this discussion, on account of Sir Alex saying that it could be put to Rooneyh's benefit with his unfit state at that time.

His absence from the Real match was not injury related so far as i am aware?

The way some of you go on you'd think he had had Vidic's troubles to contend with.

Similar reply I posted in the newbs. Most here don't argue his ability, and the stats show one side of the story. His lacklustre, laboured and non conviction passes towards the tailend of the season annoyed the heck out of most. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and it showed he wasn't happy. Sure he would ping a ball 40 yards no problem, but the sloppy 3 yard passes when playing deeper was what frustrated most.

There is no denying his ability, but it 100% relies on him being up for it and happy.

You want to exclude the Fulham injury despite Rodallega tearing into his thigh? The majority of his absences were injury related and the ones that weren't.. well how do you expect him to build up form when it is stop/start? When he has had a run of games, he's produced.

Similar reply I posted in the newbs. Most here don't argue his ability, and the stats show one side of the story. His lacklustre, laboured and non conviction passes towards the tailend of the season annoyed the heck out of most. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and it showed he wasn't happy. Sure he would ping a ball 40 yards no problem, but the sloppy 3 yard passes when playing deeper was what frustrated most.

There is no denying his ability, but it 100% relies on him being up for it and happy.

Yeah at the end of the season when he was clearly unhappy. He wasn't like that for the whole season.

we couldn't.....there's no one I can think of who we could realistically sign who can do what Rooney does

I think the onus is on Rooney to improve his attitude and make the best of his talents

Look at Ruud - guy was an incredible striker but attitude problems and an inability to be flexible with our new fast flowing football in 06/07 meant he was on his way

Completely different situation from Ruud. He thought Ronaldo and Rooney where not good enough and kept asking to leave. Plus he did not fit the quick mobile attack Fergie wanted attitude problem or not.

I agree with the rest of this post though replacing him will take a couple of quality players, that will improve the squad quality overall but would not be cheap.

If Rooney did leave I would prefer the likes of Hernandez and Welbeck got more playing time than us going out and signing some one else. It would weaken us in the immediate future but I also hope this would mean some first team games for the likes of Januzaj and maybe even Henriques

He was out, if memory serves, from around Christmas till a bit into the new year. His knee, I think. With that, the gash and some minor stuff as well, he must have lost a couple of months of being available and fully fit.

Yeah he missed the Newcastle, West Brom,Wigan and Liverpool league games, as well as the West Ham drawn game in the FA Cup during that spell. And of course he missed the Southampton, Wigan, Galatasaray and Liverpool games early in the season. He also missed Norwich and Galatasaray in November through injury, and then Sunderland and the Chelsea replay after the March international break through injury.Someone earlier in this thread did a pretty good summary of his performances for the season.He has had some very good games, notbaly in the period when he came back from injury in late September.

Yeah he missed the Newcastle, West Brom,Wigan and Liverpool league games, as well as the West Ham drawn game in the FA Cup during that spell. And of course he missed the Southampton, Wigan, Galatasaray and Liverpool games early in the season. He also missed Norwich and Galatasaray in November through injury, and then Sunderland and the Chelsea replay after the March international break through injury.Someone earlier in this thread did a pretty good summary of his performances for the season.He has had some very good games, notbaly in the period when he came back from injury in late September.

I'd forgotten about the November matches. Yes, anyway, the point would be that he missed a good few matches on the whole. In light of that his contribution is more than adequate.

People who seemingly think thirty goals is what we should expect from him need to ask themselves how many players in today's game would manage such figures playing alongside Robin van Persie, and often enough in an almost midfielder-like role. The one season when Rooney featured as a pure striker throughout he did manage thirty goals - and more than that. RVP was our main goal provider last season, it was never any doubt as to his role in that regard. What exactly did people expect? That Rooney should outscore him from a variety of non-striker roles? Or would they have preferred Rooney up front - RVP on the bench or shunted wide? I doubt the latter.

Yeah I did that summary. He had some poor games as all players do, but the vast majority of games he certainly played well.

September 2012 interview youtube suggested to me. Always hard to gauge what is just PR and what is genuine, but the phrase at the end might suggest it is more about importance to the team than money this time (this was a month after RVP had joined): "As long as I'm wanted to play at this football club, I'll be playing at this football club"

yup!

If he stays i think we've still got a very good player on our hands. He didn't have an ideal season due to a few injuries and being played out of position.

But do you really want a player whose heart isn't in it? Also I can't work out whether he is incredibly stupid or just really, really, really poorly advised. Or both. I can see Rooney going to his agent complaining about not starting the Madrid match and being played out of position and his agent immediately suggesting a transfer cause it means more $$$ for the both of them. His agent would then go on to tell him that he's Wayne Rooney and that all the big clubs in Europe will be in for him. Unfortunately reality doesn't quite marry up with the delusional hubris formed in Rooney's mind and he only gets nibbles from Arsenal and PSG. And things backfire quite spectacularly on him. I think if he stays he'll be a top player for us for some time but I honestly can't be arsed defending his idiotic decisions anymore. He genuinely seems incapable of making life easy for himself.

I'll try to quickly summarise his performances up until the Real Madrid game.

Everton 1-0: worst display of the season. Many talked about Nani being our worst player, but to be frank, Rooney was anonymous. 4/10.

Fulham 3-2: N/A. Came on and then picked up an injury.

Newcastle 2-1 (Capital One Cup): Immense performance, playing in midfield. He made 14 long balls, 11 of which were accurate. More importantly, his touch and passing were great throughout. 8/10.

Tottenham 3-2 (first game back in the Premier League since picking up injury vs. Fulham): Changed the game. Offered a different dimension and registered an assist, with a delicate ball to Nani. He was unfortunate not to score with his free kick, and perhaps, had Van Persie passed the ball, instead of shooting, the scoreline would reflect a draw. 8/10.

Cluj 1-2: Played in midfield. Controlled the game and looked comfortable for large parts of the game. The game showed there was a sense of maturity - and discipline - developing into his game as a central midfielder. His free kick found Van Persie's shoulder. Van Persie then won the game for us, after a delightful ball from Rooney. 8.5/10.

Newcastle 0-3: Again, played in midfield, and assisted two goals, though the Cleverley assist was hardly a brilliant one. Another match where he impressed in a midfield trio (not duo). 7.5/10.

Stoke 4-2: Two goals and an assist, in a very good performance. He also added a pre-assist to his name (I count them) when he pinged a beautiful ball to Valencia, who crossed the ball into Van Persie, who scored. He could have had multiple assists, but the important thing was that his head remained up (with all the rumours about his future), which was good to watch because he scored an own goal at the beginning of the match. As we all know, his consistency is unquestionable at the start of the season. 7.5/10.

Braga 3-2: A decent display, but nothing compared to previous weeks. He was moved all over the pitch and had to occupy the left midfield position, where he struggled. 6/10.

Chelsea 2-3: A good performance overall, but nothing special. He started the match off very well, passing the ball to Van Persie whose shot hit David Luiz and went in the back of the net. He went missing after this, however. 6/10.

Arsenal 2-1: Usually, when given a man to mark, Rooney has disappointed Fergie and Hodgson. The 15 minute spell of intense pressure in the CL final of 2011 was down to Rooney marking Busquets, but for some reason, he decided to disobey the tactics, and subsequently Barcelona started to play. In the Euro 2012 fixture between England and Italy, he was asked to man mark Pirlo. He started off well, but he gave up, and consequently Welbeck was forced to do Rooney's job. This time, he marked Arteta and despite not being as technically proficient as Busquets and Pirlo, he is still a good player. Arsenal's supply was cut off, leaving Cazorla to struggle. Yes, he missed the penalty, but he was outstanding tactically. 7.5/10.

Braga 1-3: Midfielder again (duo). Looked brilliant at times (long ball expert, it seemed). Scored a penalty and assisted Hernandez (I class it as an assist, though it's not official). A light 7/10.

Aston Villa 2-3: Poor performance. Started off as an attacking midfielder, but lacked the tactical awareness to form a midfield three, which led to Scholes and Carrick looking naive. He was moved to the left in the second half, but to no avail - he looked lost again on the wings. Got a pre-assist for the equaliser, to his credit. 5.5/10.

QPR 3-1: This was a competent performance. He never looked dangerous, apart from the one time where he took a shot as Julio Cesar. Assisted Fletcher to make the scoreline 3-1. 6.5/10.

West Ham 1-0: Diamond formation, but Rooney played behind Van Persie. Another "meh" performance. 6/10.

Reading 3-4: Played out of position, as a right winger this time. His best performance in just less than a month. Scored two goals and assisted one with a sublime back heel. It was his defensive duty and willingness to sacrifice his attacking game, which was endearing. Ironically, his defensive game never recovered after this fixture. 8.5/10.

Cluj 0-1: Poor performance. I don't know what happened in this fixture to our players, but it was obvious they were to take it lightly, as the game after it was Manchester City. 5/10.

Manchester City 2-3: He scored two crucial goals and linked up well with team-mates (when he passed the ball properly). Two negatives: his passing was atrocious (73%, worst in a while) and he failed to take advantage of City's midfield. Still gets an 8/10.

Sunderland 3-1: Scored a goal. Very easy game for him (put it that way). 7/10.

Swansea 1-1: Now, this is where I have always maintained that Rooney's abrupt dip in form starts. After this, his performances were inconsistent. His passing was shocking, he missed a great chance, and there was a chance to make it 1-2 when he was through on goal with Hernandez to his right, but he played a lazy pass, which was easily intercepted. Easily, in his top five poor performances this season. 4/10.

Tottenham 1-1: Came on as a sub. Was unfortunate not to win a penalty, after Caulker fouled him in the penalty area. The shape of the team changed and, again, his passing was horrible (69%). 4/10.

Southampton 2-1: Scored two goals, but yet again his passing was all over the place. The pitch didn't help either. A light 7/10.

Fulham 0-1: Good performance. Moved to the left after Hernandez came on. Scored a crucial goal. 7/10.

Everton 2-0: Another "meh" performance. Kept things safe. 5/10.

Real Madrid 1-1: A mediocre display. He was asked to defend, but in the first half Rafael faced many 2 v 1 situations, where Coentrao and Ronaldo were too much. He did assist Welbeck, but his contribution as a whole was poor and not professional. 5.5/10.

That's up until the Real Madrid game, which gives him an average rating of 6. Add the rest of the ratings and he'd probably be a 6.5/7 (even if you change the 4's to 5's), which represents how his season went. I don't think Rooney was as bad as some made him out to be, and this is coming from someone who deplores his actions, however, he needs to understand that the expectation on our behalf is high. In the first half of the season, he was excellent. If he kept up that form, there would be no problems at all.

I'll try to quickly summarise his performances up until the Real Madrid game.

Everton 1-0: worst display of the season. Many talked about Nani being our worst player, but to be frank, Rooney was anonymous. 4/10.

Fulham 3-2: N/A. Came on and then picked up an injury.

Newcastle 2-1 (Capital One Cup): Immense performance, playing in midfield. He made 14 long balls, 11 of which were accurate. More importantly, his touch and passing were great throughout. 8/10.

Tottenham 3-2 (first game back in the Premier League since picking up injury vs. Fulham): Changed the game. Offered a different dimension and registered an assist, with a delicate ball to Nani. He was unfortunate not to score with his free kick, and perhaps, had Van Persie passed the ball, instead of shooting, the scoreline would reflect a draw. 8/10.

Cluj 1-2: Played in midfield. Controlled the game and looked comfortable for large parts of the game. The game showed there was a sense of maturity - and discipline - developing into his game as a central midfielder. His free kick found Van Persie's shoulder. Van Persie then won the game for us, after a delightful ball from Rooney. 8.5/10.

Newcastle 0-3: Again, played in midfield, and assisted two goals, though the Cleverley assist was hardly a brilliant one. Another match where he impressed in a midfield trio (not duo). 7.5/10.

Stoke 4-2: Two goals and an assist, in a very good performance. He also added a pre-assist to his name (I count them) when he pinged a beautiful ball to Valencia, who crossed the ball into Van Persie, who scored. He could have had multiple assists, but the important thing was that his head remained up (with all the rumours about his future), which was good to watch because he scored an own goal at the beginning of the match. As we all know, his consistency is unquestionable at the start of the season. 7.5/10.

Braga 3-2: A decent display, but nothing compared to previous weeks. He was moved all over the pitch and had to occupy the left midfield position, where he struggled. 6/10.

Chelsea 2-3: A good performance overall, but nothing special. He started the match off very well, passing the ball to Van Persie whose shot hit David Luiz and went in the back of the net. He went missing after this, however. 6/10.

Arsenal 2-1: Usually, when given a man to mark, Rooney has disappointed Fergie and Hodgson. The 15 minute spell of intense pressure in the CL final of 2011 was down to Rooney marking Busquets, but for some reason, he decided to disobey the tactics, and subsequently Barcelona started to play. In the Euro 2012 fixture between England and Italy, he was asked to man mark Pirlo. He started off well, but he gave up, and consequently Welbeck was forced to do Rooney's job. This time, he marked Arteta and despite not being as technically proficient as Busquets and Pirlo, he is still a good player. Arsenal's supply was cut off, leaving Cazorla to struggle. Yes, he missed the penalty, but he was outstanding tactically. 7.5/10.

Braga 1-3: Midfielder again (duo). Looked brilliant at times (long ball expert, it seemed). Scored a penalty and assisted Hernandez (I class it as an assist, though it's not official). A light 7/10.

Aston Villa 2-3: Poor performance. Started off as an attacking midfielder, but lacked the tactical awareness to form a midfield three, which led to Scholes and Carrick looking naive. He was moved to the left in the second half, but to no avail - he looked lost again on the wings. Got a pre-assist for the equaliser, to his credit. 5.5/10.

QPR 3-1: This was a competent performance. He never looked dangerous, apart from the one time where he took a shot as Julio Cesar. Assisted Fletcher to make the scoreline 3-1. 6.5/10.

West Ham 1-0: Diamond formation, but Rooney played behind Van Persie. Another "meh" performance. 6/10.

Reading 3-4: Played out of position, as a right winger this time. His best performance in just less than a month. Scored two goals and assisted one with a sublime back heel. It was his defensive duty and willingness to sacrifice his attacking game, which was endearing. Ironically, his defensive game never recovered after this fixture. 8.5/10.

Cluj 0-1: Poor performance. I don't know what happened in this fixture to our players, but it was obvious they were to take it lightly, as the game after it was Manchester City. 5/10.

Manchester City 2-3: He scored two crucial goals and linked up well with team-mates (when he passed the ball properly). Two negatives: his passing was atrocious (73%, worst in a while) and he failed to take advantage of City's midfield. Still gets an 8/10.

Sunderland 3-1: Scored a goal. Very easy game for him (put it that way). 7/10.

Swansea 1-1: Now, this is where I have always maintained that Rooney's abrupt dip in form starts. After this, his performances were inconsistent. His passing was shocking, he missed a great chance, and there was a chance to make it 1-2 when he was through on goal with Hernandez to his right, but he played a lazy pass, which was easily intercepted. Easily, in his top five poor performances this season. 4/10.

Tottenham 1-1: Came on as a sub. Was unfortunate not to win a penalty, after Caulker fouled him in the penalty area. The shape of the team changed and, again, his passing was horrible (69%). 4/10.

Southampton 2-1: Scored two goals, but yet again his passing was all over the place. The pitch didn't help either. A light 7/10.

Fulham 0-1: Good performance. Moved to the left after Hernandez came on. Scored a crucial goal. 7/10.

Everton 2-0: Another "meh" performance. Kept things safe. 5/10.

Real Madrid 1-1: A mediocre display. He was asked to defend, but in the first half Rafael faced many 2 v 1 situations, where Coentrao and Ronaldo were too much. He did assist Welbeck, but his contribution as a whole was poor and not professional. 5.5/10.

That's up until the Real Madrid game, which gives him an average rating of 6. Add the rest of the ratings and he'd probably be a 6.5/7 (even if you change the 4's to 5's), which represents how his season went. I don't think Rooney was as bad as some made him out to be, and this is coming from someone who deplores his actions, however, he needs to understand that the expectation on our behalf is high. In the first half of the season, he was excellent. If he kept up that form, there would be no problems at all.

To be fair at a club like United and in the position he plays, we can't afford a 6.5-7/10 and this comes from one of Wayne's biggest fans. He needs to be consistently 8 and above for the majority of games for us to make an impact in Europe or for us to win alot of games in style. The position he plays is key in terms of setting the tempo and style of the side, when Rooney plays well... the team looks a different prospect because he has a natural feel for controlling the game and helps link play up. Hence why alot of people whilst happy that we won the title, didn't feel as if we were playing slick free-flowing football, our main man was not quite upto it and was a peripheral figure by his standards and our style of play reflected this.

Another way to look at it is that even when not in form he is still very productive

had he played more consistently at number 10 you'd have seen more consistent performances

by the middle of march he had still scored or assisted a goal every 75 mins which is impressive

Is it accurate to say he'll still be a United player next season now? All gone very quiet on terms of him going somewhere else

Replace his goals (either through a new signing or Welbeck/Hernandez picking up the mantle) and we're fine. Rooney's qualities outside of goalscoring are really quite ordinary and easily replaced by Kagawa.

:wenger:

If Arsenal are as close to Higuain as reports suggest and if Chelsea are really in for Cavani then his options are vanishing
Higuain prefers Juventus, I think, but they won't match Madrid's asking price (neither will Arsenal but they are way closer to it).

Was there really that much of a tactical change in Rooney's role compared to 11/12? In 11/12, he has consistently played behind another striker and still managed to score regularly. I'm afraid that the argument that he has played deeper or in midfield don't really hold water. Fact is that this season he has been out of sorts, couple that with his niggling injuries, you have a poor goal return - which is a drastic 50% drop from the previous season.

Another way to look at it is that even when not in form he is still very productive

had he played more consistently at number 10 you'd have seen more consistent performances

by the middle of march he had still scored or assisted a goal every 75 mins which is impressive

From the turn of the year to march, RVP had his goal drought but Rooney stepped up to carry the scoring weight. Shortly after that he quickly reverted back to his erratic form. I wouldn't say he has had a terrible season, but for large parts of it his football has been hit-and-miss.

In everywhere but muppet land it is.

No it isn't how much would we sell him for 30-40 million these are the prices top players go for, once they are signed top wages are also expected. If this was after 09/10 or maybe even last year more teams would be interested for sure. A player having big wages has NEVER stopped clubs from signing them if they are worth those wages. What it shows is that teams may not feel he is worth it.

Far too hit and miss this season for a player as good as he but he had two injuries that kept him out for extended time. He will always influence matches and when he is bad he is REALLY bad but he is a good player. For me has all round game has gotten sloppy and that is what is more telling than his goals and assists there is no need for that and he should be held to higher standards. Too often he struggles to pass 5 yards, his touch lets him down, he is slow or sluggish, while he is a good long passer at times he falls in love with it and gives away possession too much. Some fans will never truly be happy with him because he did not fulfil his potential fully while being a great player for the club. Others for what he did in 2010. I am happy for him to stay if he is fully committed anything else and he should eave we don't need this kind of problem with him again.

No it isn't how much would we sell him for 30-40 million these are the prices top players go for, once they are signed top wages are also expected. If this was after 09/10 or maybe even last year more teams would be interested for sure. A player having big wages has NEVER stopped clubs from signing them if they are worth those wages. What it shows is that teams may not feel he is worth it.

I was talking about his wages being the problem earlier? What are you going on about? I never mentioned the fee.

I was talking about his wages being the problem earlier? What are you going on about? I never mentioned the fee.

You said most people would want him if it was not for his wages. Zen said that shouldn't be a problem. You said in everywhere but muppet land it is.

Unless your point is he is not as good as fans on here think he is then I misunderstood you. Otherwise the wages being a deterrent means he is not seen as being good enough.

Wages wouldn't be an obstacle if Arsenal or whoever employ the standard workaround: give the player a very large lump sum upon signing instead of a massive weekly/monthly wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.