Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
while someone like Rooney is a matchwinner on his own.

Is that still the case? How many match winning goals did Rooney score against decent opposition last season for instance?

From what i can recall of the league stats there was just the one occasion when playing an opponent from the top half.

Moyes would have to take it on faith that 12/13 was an anomaly rather than one of those moments when a manager feels they have to be ruthless for both team and player.

Jim White [Telegraph columnist and United supporter] was on Talksport last night and in he felt that Moyes should attempt to persuade Rooney to remain by offering him the role of a Scholes type replacement alongside Carrick. Naturally he cited the RVP goal against Villa, who whilst sending eleven bodies out onto the pitch that night i'm not sure if their minds were fully awake. Would Rooney really be disciplined as well as content to play there or be treading on the toes of Kagawa or whoever? Admittedly i am a bit of a sceptic of the notion.

Is that still the case? How many match winning goals did Rooney score against decent opposition last season for instance?

His two goals were important against City at the Etihad.

The line of 'matchwinner' has become so fine that anyone is willing to step over to spout any old bollocks about his ability. The prediction outlook surely has to be 'if we keep Rooney he still has the ability to be a critical player'. Whether or not Moyes or the club want to make the gamble will be seen soon.

Deeper in midfield for me is not the answer. Reinforcing the deeper positions so he can remain in forward positions is probably paramount to his continued success.

From what i can recall of the league stats there was just the one occasion when playing an opponent from the top half.

Moyes would have to take it on faith that 12/13 was an anomaly rather than one of those moments when a manager feels they have to be ruthless for both team and player.

Jim White [Telegraph columnist and United supporter] was on Talksport last night and in he felt that Moyes should attempt to persuade Rooney to remain by offering him the role of a Scholes type replacement alongside Carrick. Naturally he cited the RVP goal against Villa, who whilst sending eleven bodies out onto the pitch that night i'm not sure if their minds were fully awake. Would Rooney really be disciplined as well as content to play there or be treading on the toes of Kagawa or whoever? Admittedly i am a bit of a sceptic of the notion.

I can't remember exactly but a few times he was the difference. When Van Persie went quiet he had a few notable games. He provided the moment of quality that was needed. This was not a great season for him, but that is my definition of a matchwinner. We struggled against Fulham he provided that moment of quality, it was a tight game against the Hammers in the cup he scored in the 1-0. Bar Van Persie there is nobody else in the squad I would trust more than Rooney in that regard. He is a game changer no doubt about that. The question is mainly which Rooney are we going to see he goes through these periods of good from and bad form, more than any other player I can remember who is at his level.

We don't know if it is an anomaly for me there is a worrying trend with Rooney. Moyes has to make a firm decision. If he signs him on a new contract and he is below his standard well then we are stuck. If he doesn't he clearly doesn't really trust him and that puts pressure on him and if he plays as poorly again how much will we get with a year on his contact? Finally Moyes gets him to sign and he gets back to his best all possible scenario's we will just have to see.

Didn't Rooney just recently say he's not interested in playing in midfield at this moment in time and that he wants to play as a centre forward? That would be a great 'feck you' to Rooney if Moyes uses that tactic to persuade Rooney to remain at the club. :lol:

Rooney is a striker if he stays and we want to see his best he needs to play there. Let's see what Moyes does.

You lot makes it as if we're not going to replace Rooney with a top class player (might not be world class ala Ronaldo, but Rooney's far from World Class nowdays)

Even if he's contributing, you can't simply discount the contribution of the next guy brought to replace him as null.

If say he creates 20 goals (hypothetically) and his replacement scores only 15

Do we miss him? Probably, but does +5 goals warrant a 250k / week contract for the next 4 years? I doubt it

You lot makes it as if we're not going to replace Rooney with a top class player (might not be world class ala Ronaldo, but Rooney's far from World Class nowdays)

Even if he's contributing, you can't simply discount the contribution of the next guy brought to replace him as null.

Do we miss him? Probably, but does +5 goals warrant a 250k / week contract for the next 4 years? I doubt it

My god that is a load of speculative waffle. Did we replace Ronaldo with a world class winger like for like straight away? (I know it's a shite example)

Why is it that someone is just going to come in and automatically be amazing? They could get injured, flop, not complement our style. Surely it's a higher percentage play to keep the player who has proven he is good enough for the league/team than to remove him and take a gamble on whoever comes in hitting the ground running and be amazing. I'm not talking about long shot odds but it just seems when you have 50 quid in your pocket for lunch there is no point throw it down on a 50/50 to see if you can make some more money to get lunch tomorrow. If you lose it you go hungry.

Your hypothetical scenario is bizarre. The player hasn't even left yet. How can we miss a player that is still contracted to the club and it is off season?

We may or may not there are not replace there is more than one way to do so, though I will say there are not many players better than him. I'm not worried about replacing goals the team can pool together in that regard. His matchwinning ability and his quality is what we will need to replace. It will most likely take two players to do so because we would not be signing any of the players better than him. Actually let's say we have one of the two in the shape of Kagwa and we still need another. Its not a case of 'he scored 20 goals we need someone who we score 20 goals' it is the things he provides apart from goals that will also need to be replaced. Not many players with his quality around.

Were also losing Nani who like him or not has matchwinning ability. We need 2 or 3 of that calibre of player in the starting line up.

Scholes is England’s best player of this generation.

Sends out the wrong message... To whom? Who really cares what message it sends out...?

In the exact same way you are understating the affect selling Rooney would have on our budget. It isn’t “fanciful” to suggest that freeing up £70,000,000 would give us room to operate in the transfer market, of course it would. You seem to have no concept of budgets.

Saying that the club never operates by making significant transfers is ludicrous, when it has to be done then the club will do it. Look at 2007 with Tevez, Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves and the twins all coming in. Everyone can see that our midfield needs improving and given the number of CM’s we have been linked to Moyes presumably sees that as well. Last season our wingers were the worst they have been in as long as I can remember, and it looks like our best winger is going to be sold. There are clear opportunities to improve the squad and selling Rooney would facilitate that happening – hence it is one benefit of the transfer.

Rooney and Scholes are from different generations - hence Scholes being retired when Rooney's at the peak age - and Rooney's clearly the best player of his generation. There's no-one else close.

Who cares? Sir Alex. In the season review from 99/00 he talks about how selling one of our best players (Keane) would send out completely the wrong message which is why we simply had to do everything we can (i.e. break the wage structure) to keep him. The Ronaldo point's a strange one. We did everything we could to keep him for precisely the same reason, but ultimately we couldn't convince him otherwise. As I said if Rooney wants to leave that badly then we'll have to let him go, I'm just saying I completely disagree with his notion of "meh, he's just an unfit, disloyal scouse cnut who's not even world class, just let him go (without a fight)". Rooney isn't as important as Keane or Ronaldo but he's a still a crucial part of our future in the next few years and a top class footballer and regardless of where he is next year he'll remind people of that quite emphatically.

This is not too dissimilar to the reaction to Tevéz potentially leaving actually. Before the transfer rumours/news came out, 80% of the people thought he was an excellent player while 20% thought he still had a lot to prove he was quite at the top level. After this it must've dropped to about 60-40, and then when he moved to City it must've dropped to about 30-70. People were doubting he'd have as much of an impact without as many world class players covering up his goalscoring deficiencies and that he'd be nothing to worry about. He'd not had the best season with us prior to leaving and scored almost 3x less league goals than the previous year. This anomaly of a season allowed people to convince themselves that Tevéz really isn't quite as good as was portrayed and he wouldn't be much of a loss to us or a huge benefit to City...the parallels here are pretty clear. He then went on to score 43 league goals in 66 league games in the following two seasons - more than any other player in the league. And Rooney is of course a class above Tevéz. Losing him to a title rival would be catastrophic, IMO.

All the permutations about what we could do with that money goes against all previous evidence of how we've coped with losing big players previously. When we let go of Cantona we brought in Sheringham (and later Yorke). When we sold Ronaldo we brought in Valencia. That is what we do. I think I can just about grasp the complex concept of budgets, thanks. Anyone who thinks they have enough knowledge of our financial situation and how we budget for transfers is kidding themselves though. It doesn't take a genius to recognise that selling Rooney would free up some money. I'm just saying based on pretty much our entire time with Sir Alex in charge we have never used that money freed up in the short-term in the way so many people have suggested. When we got £80m for Ronaldo there were people making the exact same "non-muppet" arguments about how we could spend that £80m sensibly. We didn't spend much of it even in the medium-term. It freed up a bit of wages for us to give our best player a big wage bump but other than that it seemed to have no direct impact at all. We bought players as usual. In fact we bought less "top" players (Hargreaves, Tevez, Berbatov etc.) after we got that money than when we had Ronaldo here and that's my point really. The money we gained from selling him was (somewhat) balanced out by the prestige(/buying power/whatever you want to call it) we lost by selling our best player and reaffirming that Madrid are the more prestigious club. Which is why I quoted "transfer market strength" - it's not the same as financial strength. Of course it would strengthen our financial position but it's too simplistic to say that alone improves our overall "transfer market strength". If we sold Rooney to a rival, well...

I wasn't saying we don't make big signings, of course we do. I'm just saying we don't make big signings as an immediate reaction to losing a big player. Instead we generally take the safer option of a PL-proven player and the logic is obvious. We're losing someone who has proven he can make an impact week in, week out in this team and we're not going to replace him with someone like Lewandowski who has it all to prove. We'll go for someone we can count on to make a consistent contribution in this league to minimise the impact. It's likely we'll make a big signing this summer and I do think it'll be a midfielder, but we'll have budgeted for that already and Rooney leaving is neither here nor there. It'll free up more money but it won't suddenly make us sign a top centre mid. The only way it would is if it then allows/forces us to pay more than we think the player is worth but I'd say that's unlikely.

Why does it matter who he scored against? If you take away his goals against "weak" teams we would have finished just one point ahead of Chelsea. Between December 1st and February 2nd his goals alone won us 12 points. In the games v Fulham, Reading and Southampton no-one else looked like scoring and his two goals against City were typical Rooney; I don't think anyone comes close to his goals record v City in recent times.

Scored the first and last goal in a 4-2 win v Stoke (and got a great assist)
Scored in the 84th minute v Braga to make it 2-1 (which Hernández than added to)
Scored two goals v Reading in a 4-3 win
Scored our first two goals v City in a 3-2 win
Scored our only goal v West Ham in a 1-0 win
Scored both of our goals in a 2-1 win v Southampton
Scored our only goal in a 1-0 win v Fulham
Scored a goal in the 2-2 draw with Chelsea
Scored the only goal in a 1-0 win v Reading

Shucks! But it's not the first (and won't be the last and we all have probably never heard of a myriad of others saying it) the linchpin or talisman (or big wage earner) of a team has said that they want to leave and upset the fans. Hell if it wasn't for the soundbite from Ferguson we'd not even have known it. We'd all be speculating on Rooney not appearing at the end of the season.

Very true, I can't knock your reasoning mate, I for one, hope this is resolved sooner rather than later, I don't see why things like this take so long, I mean is his phone engaged? Give the bald prick a call and ask what's going, does he want to be here or not, as if he "doesn't know", genuinely, after this many years at the club, I'd rather he leave now than make a bigger mark by taking top all time goal scorer...

We may or may not there are not replace there is more than one way to do so, though I will say there are not many players better than him. I'm not worried about replacing goals the team can pool together in that regard. His matchwinning ability and his quality is what we will need to replace. It will most likely take two players to do so because we would not be signing any of the players better than him. Actually let's say we have one of the two in the shape of Kagwa and we still need another. Its not a case of 'he scored 20 goals we need someone who we score 20 goals' it is the things he provides apart from goals that will also need to be replaced. Not many players with his quality around.

Were also losing Nani who like him or not has matchwinning ability. We need 2 or 3 of that calibre of player in the starting line up.

Replace Rooney with a good striker and we'll be better off. For one, we'll probably have a player who actually knows what his position is and Kagawa will do a better job playing 'in the hole'.

Replace Rooney with a good striker and we'll be better off. For one, we'll probably have a player who actually knows what his position is and Kagawa will do a better job playing 'in the hole'.

If Kagawa is going to be used in the #10 then do we really need another striker given we have RVP, Hernandez and Welbeck? I'd say probably not.

All the permutations about what we could do with that money goes against all previous evidence of how we've coped with losing big players previously. When we let go of Cantona we brought in Sheringham (and later Yorke). When we sold Ronaldo we brought in Valencia. That is what we do. I think I can just about grasp the complex concept of budgets, thanks. Anyone who thinks they have enough knowledge of our financial situation and how we budget for transfers is kidding themselves though. It doesn't take a genius to recognise that selling Rooney would free up some money. I'm just saying based on pretty much our entire time with Sir Alex in charge we have never used that money freed up in the short-term in the way so many people have suggested. When we got £80m for Ronaldo there were people making the exact same "non-muppet" arguments about how we could spend that £80m sensibly.

I wasn't saying we don't make big signings, of course we do. I'm just saying we don't make big signings as an immediate reaction to losing a big player. Instead we generally take the safer option of a PL-proven player and the logic is obvious.

To support Brwned's statements you can just look at the transfer-list of each year. There is close to no correlation between amount we sold for and amount we bought for. Constantly year after year for a decade we have been spending 40-60 millions regardless of if we sold zero or Ronaldo.

If we sell Rooney we will not buy any player we did not already plan to buy. The only thing going against that theory would be that Moyes is now the manager and not Fergie and maybe they have a different philosophy on how to handle transfers.

If Kagawa is going to be used in the #10 then do we really need another striker given we have RVP, Hernandez and Welbeck? I'd say probably not.

Depends how we line up really, we could be a bit light if RVP gets injured - Welbeck wasn't the most prolific last season and I'm not sure if Hernandez is too effective on his own up top.

To support Brwned's statements you can just look at the transfer-list of each year. There is close to no correlation between amount we sold for and amount we bought for. Constantly year after year for a decade we have been spending 40-60 millions regardless of if we sold zero or Ronaldo.

If we sell Rooney we will not buy any player we did not already plan to buy. The only thing going against that theory would be that Moyes is now the manager and not Fergie and maybe they have a different philosophy on how to handle transfers.

To be fair, that's quite a massive stumbling point as I'm sure Moyes will want to bring in some players of his own.

Depends how we line up really, we could be a bit light if RVP gets injured - Welbeck wasn't the most prolific last season and I'm not sure if Hernandez is too effective on his own up top.

If Kagawa is used as a #10 then I'd be happy not signing a striker due to the options previously stated.

However I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes use Kagawa like he uses Pienaar. In which case we could do with another.

Anyone we sign this summer will have been scouted over the last 18 months and discussed amongst the various relevant members of the club in that time. The idea that Moyes will come in with this list of players he likes and we'll just sign them up within a month or two goes completely against everything we know about how our club handles transfers.

Anyone we sign this summer will have been scouted over the last 18 months and discussed amongst the various relevant members of the club in that time. The idea that Moyes will come in with this list of players he likes and we'll just sign them up within a month or two goes completely against everything we know about how our club handles transfers.

So do you think the club will have a list of players "available", that Moyes can sign, rather than him handing over a wish list so to speak?

I think he'll have had a long discussion with Sir Alex and David Gill (or his replacement) and came to a collective agreement on who we should go in for, and this will inevitably be players we've been looking closely at for a number of months. And regardless of that I think it's being overstated how involved Moyes will be in transfers. I'm sure he'll have final say over who we bring in but will he really be telling our chief exec how much we should be paying for these players? I doubt it, and I'm pretty sure Sir Alex left most of that work to David Gill as well. We brought in Moyes to continue in the same fashion with the same core structures left in place so I suspect the transfer "philosophy" will remain the same.

Perhaps he will. It's my personal opinion that anyone we sign will have been given the go-ahead by Sir Alex before he'd even told Gill he's retiring but that's irrelevant really. If Moyes does go on to sign a couple of his own players then we'll obviously have budgeted for that before he came and that budget won't have been based on Rooney leaving. If we do go on to sell Rooney and buy a midfielder then I'm sure some will say "see, told ya so" when realistically we would've been doing that either way providing we found the right player and could agree terms with the player and the club. We bought Carrick in the same summer we sold van Nistelrooy but it's pretty clear that they weren't directly related, IMO.

Perhaps he will. It's my personal opinion that anyone we sign will have been given the go-ahead by Sir Alex before he'd even told Gill he's retiring but that's irrelevant really. If Moyes does go on to sign a couple of his own players then we'll obviously have budgeted for that before he came and that budget won't have been based on Rooney leaving. If we do go on to sell Rooney and buy a midfielder then I'm sure some will say "see, told ya so" when realistically we would've been doing that either way providing we found the right player and could agree terms with the player and the club. We bought Carrick in the same summer we sold van Nistelrooy but it's pretty clear that they weren't directly related, IMO.

I think that would be seriously undermining Moyes - why even bother giving him the job if they won't trust him in the transfer market?

Moyes will likely have a list of players he likes which we'll probably have kept an eye on already, it's not like he's going to start throwing about names that our scouts have never heard of. He'll obviously discuss these targets with the scouts, Gills replacement (can't remember his name, Woodward?), Fergie and whoever else he wants but ultimately if he wants a player who's a realistic target then we'll go for him. That's another philosophy of ours: manager has total control.

Now getting back on topic: Sell Rooney.

It's not that they don't trust him long-term, I just personally think the handover period will mean that this summer the extent of Moyes' influence will be to ok or veto certain players that have already been lined up.

It's not that they don't trust him long-term, I just personally think the handover period will mean that this summer the extent of Moyes' influence will be to ok or veto certain players that have already been lined up.

I don't agree with you here, yes there is going to be players that both SAF would of liked and Moyes would like, but I don't think there is a list that Moyes will just say yes or no too.

I think it is important to highlight for those who weren't aware of it that Fergie and Moyes had a good relationship prior to his retirement. So most probably Fergie asked if Moyes would be interested in taking over after him far back. So like Brwned says, Fergie would be completely sure about what Moyes would want in a team and some of the scouted players most certainly fit those criterias.

I wouldn't go as far as saying all players we bring in are scouted for 18 months, I believe the star-players will be Moyes own decision. But the players like Varela probably go with the above thesis, Fergie brought them in knowing Moyes and Moyes mainly "accepting" or "rejecting" it.

I don't agree with you here, yes there is going to be players that both SAF would of liked and Moyes would like, but I don't think there is a list that Moyes will just say yes or no too.

Scouting young players is something that takes time so I would have to say that list will exist. I don't think it will include first-eleven players who are a different matter of course.

Scouting young players is something that takes time so I would have to say that list will exist. I don't think it will include first-eleven players who are a different matter of course.

I would agree with you about scouting youngsters , there will be a list that.
We don't know what sort of players Moyes wants, he will have his own idea's of the way to progress United.

Like who? Who is the player to replace Rooney/compete with Van Persie for tyhe starting berth. He knows what his position is if you play him upfront he will score he has proven that. The problem is RVP does the job better and is more consistent. Perhaps Kagawa will I hope so. But who is bringing in that match winning ability like I said the goals don't phase me as much.

Like who? Who is the player to replace Rooney/compete with Van Persie for tyhe starting berth. He knows what his position is if you play him upfront he will score he has proven that. The problem is RVP does the job better and is more consistent. Perhaps Kagawa will I hope so. But who is bringing in that match winning ability like I said the goals don't phase me as much.

Replace his goals (either through a new signing or Welbeck/Hernandez picking up the mantle) and we're fine. Rooney's qualities outside of goalscoring are really quite ordinary and easily replaced by Kagawa.

Rooney is more in the Beckham and RVN category than the Keane and Ronaldo category IMO, having been dropped for big games it could easily be interpreted that he is to be sold for football reasons, rather than him leaving when we need him most a la Keane or Ronnie.

Him leaving, or us selling I'm, wouldn't adversely affect us in the transfer market any more than RVNs sale did and certainly not as much as Ronaldos sale did.

Rooney is more in the Beckham and RVN category than the Keane and Ronaldo category IMO, having been dropped for big games it could easily be interpreted that he is to be sold for football reasons, rather than him leaving when we need him most a la Keane or Ronnie.

Him leaving, or us selling I'm, wouldn't adversely affect us in the transfer market any more than RVNs sale did and certainly not as much as Ronaldos sale did.

United's only big name below the age of 30 is Rooney unfortunately so there I must agree with Brwned. Selling Rooney will certainly affect our ability to draw the absolute world-class talent here.

When we sold David Beckham we had the following world class players under 30. We still had Rio Ferdinand one of the greatest CB's around, Gary Neville one of the best RB's, RVN one of the greatest strikers in the world, Keane&Scholes the greatest CM pairing United ever had etc, Ryan Giggs the greatest LM United ever had.

When we sold Keane we had the following world class players under 30.(Except the GK who plays longer) C.Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha, RVN, Ferdinand, G. Neville, Heinze, Van Der Sar, Vidic.

When we sold C.Ronaldo we had the following WC stars under 30; Evra, Vidic, Berbatov, Rooney, Carrick, Nani, Valencia.

The "lists" are not proof-checked so I am sure you will find a fault here and there in them. The point however is that we are in a transitional period where Rooney is our only world-class player below the age of 30 which is a rather unique situation for us.

Of course a part of it is due to Valencia and Nani being shadows of their old selves.

Sme truth to that certainly but I also think we are in a healthy state now too. I think if SAF was still manager the point wouldn't stand much at all but the fact is that he is gone, so I can concede that losing Rooney may affect our transfer dealing negatively to an extent but I don't think it's a matter of fact to be honest.

With Keane it was a matter or paying him what he deserves, Fergies knew we had to be competitive for the very best players, but with Rooney theres an awful lot more to it than just a contract dispute.

Replace his goals (either through a new signing or Welbeck/Hernandez picking up the mantle) and we're fine. Rooney's qualities outside of goalscoring are really quite ordinary and easily replaced by Kagawa.

Like I said I have no worries about replacing his goals. Your not being serious? I disagree with this. His skills are not ordinary he does not produce them consistently which is a different argument but when he is at his best few are better. Hernandez does as well as his team is doing, a great goalscorer but not near Rooney as a player. Welbeck we will see what he does. Even if Kagawa is good I don't expect him to be as good as Rooney at his best next year. Kagawa has the potential to be a matchwinner at the highest level but as of now I would still prefer a fit and motivated Rooney to him. If Rooney is not sold on being a player here or for whatever other reason we move on.

You saw the list of matches Rooney made a key contribution in, I don't know if your stellar trio of Hernandez, Welbeck and Kagwa even get us half the points his performances did in those games did. It is all good in theory but we would miss him if he is not replaced with genuine top class quality. Not to mention the things he does defensively. I am not saying he is perfect there is a reason he is in this situation but your argument is too basic for me.

:lol:

Are you being serious? This is from the past season, supposedly one of his worst.

Everyone always remembers the long pass for Van Persies volley, nobody remember the 10 other hollywood balls that went straight to the opposition :wenger:

Let a decent player play a whole season of football and you can fill a seven minute compilation of good things he did, regardless of the quality of the season he's had.

Status
Not open for further replies.