Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be
There's a shadow hanging over me.
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why she had to call him Klay she wouldn't say
I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Yesterday, football was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday

It is ridiculous some of the twonk he's had to suffer.

Meanwhile, Cesc Fabregas, who has been linked with a move back to the Premier League, with Manchester United touted as possible suitors, after struggling to hold down a place at Barcelona, has told a Spanish radio station that he wishes to remain at the Nou Camp.

I don't really understand why this has to be mentioned. Since he's said he wants to remain at the Nou Camp.... :lol: Modern Journalism!

The "briefings" to the press on anything Rooney related make me laugh. The situation is just funny.

As an aside, I reckon Paul Stretford is not a patch on Jorge Mendes

It is ridiculous some of the twonk he's had to suffer.

Meanwhile, Cesc Fabregas, who has been linked with a move back to the Premier League, with Manchester United touted as possible suitors, after struggling to hold down a place at Barcelona, has told a Spanish radio station that he wishes to remain at the Nou Camp.

I don't really understand why this has to be mentioned. Since he's said he wants to remain at the Nou Camp.... :lol: Modern Journalism!

Subordinate clauseption

As an aside, I reckon Paul Stretford is not a patch on Jorge Mendes

I'd have to agree (based on the very little I know of them).

Stretford managed to get his client a big wage in 2010, probably bigger than he would've received normally (though I think Gill or Sir Alex said that negotiations on his new contract hadn't yet started before Rooney requested that first transfer) but in doing so Stretford seriously damaged his client's image with some big mis-steps that even had Holloway giving his client a public bollocking. Now if they are trying the same trick again, then again Rooney has been portrayed horribly, and it'll only get worse if he goes to a sugar daddy club, even if that club is Chelsea.

Compare that to Mendes' current strategy with Ronaldo's new contract with Real - it seems pretty clear that his team are keeping the "Ronaldo back to United" stories everywhere, but it is the choice of the United link that impresses me. It's standard practice during contract renewals to link the player with another club, but he could've gone with PSG, or City, or Chelsea, or even now Monaco - all of which would in reality pay him bigger money than United would even dream of doing, but they are clubs well below Ronaldo's standing, and that would paint Ronaldo as just another mercenary. But by linking United, then you've got the much more sympathetic angle of him "missing United" and wanting to go "home". The end result will be an unimaginably huge contract with Real, but without Ronaldo looking like a cnut, even though the idea of him wanting to come back to United is ludicrous.

It's fascinating in some ways.

Seems the Telegraph have been briefed by Rooney's people - this latest piece talking about Rooney fearing problems with the fans if he stays. Well just one quick look at this thread should calm those fears :angel:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-him-over-Sir-Alex-Fergusons-move-claims.html

Rooney's people disputed a claim which Fergie didn't actually make.

Are you really holding your own counsel when you are passing on your feeligns and opinions indirectly through others?

No mention of a new contract which has to be inevitable.

I'd be a bit disappointed if Moyes has simply gone on holiday without even having agreed on a stance on the matter with the Chief Exec or board at the club. If Wayne thinks he can use Fergie's successor as a human shield whilst acknowledging little of his own errors he must be more of an idiot than both his allies and critics alike accuse him of being.

Are you really holding your own counsel when you are passing on your feeligns and opinions indirectly through others?

Me personally? In terms of that dig at this thread? I was poking fun at the article in the context of the extreme views in this thread up to this point - no further meaning than that. I expressed my preference some time back about wanting him to stay, and that hasn't changed. I'm not sure if I've posted much here since then, though one of my subsequent posts about the media's hype of the Rooney situation on the day Stiliyan Petrov retired was met with some interesting responses :lol:

Articles like this in the Telegraph would indicate to me that Rooney is more likely to stay and they are laying the foundation to smooth things over, but equally it could be a sympathy play for Rooney to build on when he speaks to Chelsea TV or whatever about his mistreatment at United. Very little would surprise me at this stage.

I don't think Rooney will have a problem with most United fans, yes he will get some booing if he stays, but that will be a minority and will be quickly shouted down.
Football fans are really easy to please, if he stays and plays well scores goals and more stop's asking for transfers, than this will forgotten pretty quickly.

Oh yeah, as long as he doesn't sulk & tries hard, he should be alright. Treating him badly helps no-one, and you'd hope the quality of his support from us (or lack of it) would depend on his performances in future.

I don't think Rooney will have a problem with most United fans, yes he will get some booing if he stays, but that will be a minority and will be quickly shouted down.
Football fans are really easy to please, if he stays and plays well scores goals and more stop's asking for transfers, than this will forgotten pretty quickly.

Measuring the correctness of the decision cannot only be done through Rooney's performances alone, we would have to weigh it against other possible ramifications. Do we in doing so adversely restrict our dealings in the transfer market? Does keeping him force out a player like Hernandez maybe? Does him remaining affect team unity or create an damaging sense of player power down the road?

A balancing act which in part we as supporters will be in no position to know the severity of unless/until the you know what hits the fan.

Measuring the correctness of the decision cannot only be done through Rooney's performances alone, we would have to weigh it against other possible ramifications. Do we in doing so adversely restrict our dealings in the transfer market? Does keeping him force out a player like Hernandez maybe? Does him remaining affect team unity or create an damaging sense of player power down the road?

A balancing act which in part we as supporters will be in no position to know the severity of unless/until the you know what hits the fan.

This will all be weighed up before he signs/stays. They won't make a decision then see what happens that can potentially derail a season. If he is happy and playing well everything else will fall into place he has been here almost 10 years and is a senior member of the squad not to mention one of the best players. The other players are pro's so they will see where he is coming from to an extent. The most important thing is how Moyes intends to use him if he does stay.

:lol: good video. RvP is so class.

"I think I'll have a shot.."

Rooneys comments are quite interesting as well about his goals.

I'd say it's pretty clear that the club have already weighed that up and decided that keeping Rooney would positively affect our transfer market strength, that it won't have such a strong impact on Hernández's happiness and that it won't affect team unity too significantly. Hence Sir Alex being adamant that the club won't let him leave.

I'd say it's pretty clear that the club have already weighed that up and decided that keeping Rooney would positively affect our transfer market strength, that it won't have such a strong impact on Hernández's happiness and that it won't affect team unity too significantly. Hence Sir Alex being adamant that the club won't let him leave.

The majority of it is a conclusion drawn from about 35,000 speculative decisions on a pathway that doesn't even get to the football pitch.
Hernandez wouldn't leave of his own accord. If you hear his interviews and the way he speaks about the club he's made it. He's a star in plenty of eyes at the club and you can tell that is what makes his love for the club special.

And this is based on.. what?

Based on Sir Alex saying the club won't let him leave, adamantly. You'd think he might have weighed up these options beforehand before making it clear that we were going to keep the player despite him wanting to leave.

Well, besides SAF not being manager anymore, as if saying 'we're not selling player X' actually counts for anything these days. It's just as likely we're waiting to sign a replacement.

Keep believing though.

Based on Sir Alex saying the club won't let him leave, adamantly. You'd think he might have weighed up these options beforehand before making it clear that we were going to keep the player despite him wanting to leave.
You mean like when he said he wouldnt "sell that lot a virus"?

Thats the key. If he DOESN'T and begins the season in anything other than stellar form it could be pretty uncomfortable, and that could then be a vicious circle as the boos would really get to him imo, prompting worse performances, a benching and another tantrum. If he stays he really HAS to hit the ground running come august for the best for all parties.

Well, besides SAF not being manager anymore, as if saying 'we're not selling player X' actually counts for anything these days. It's just as likely we're waiting to sign a replacement.

Keep believing though.

:wenger:

This sums up your entire stance in this thread. There's you and there's "Rooney-lovers", and anything that goes against your point of view must clearly be an expression of their bias. I don't believe anything. If Rooney goes you'll be celebrating because you don't like him but, more importantly, because you were right. Yay. Well done. I don't particularly care either way. It's pretty clear to me that the best thing for the club is to keep him but if we can't do that then I'm not arsed. I don't believe that Rooney wants to stay or that United want to keep him at all costs. I don't care. Both your and Sparky Hughes' bizarrely adamant stance against one of your club's players has led you to completely miss the point I was making. I don't think that everything Sir Alex says is true. Ronaldo's an obvious example as is Verón. I do think that everything Sir Alex says is carefully thought out with United's best interests in mind, however. Saying "we're not letting him leave" when keeping him would "adversely restrict our dealings in the transfer market" or "affect team unity or create a damaging sense of player power" would be a spectacularly stupid thing to do, obviously.

Despite the "stats", I don't think Rooney had a good season. Yeah, it's probably because of RVP's arrival, but what's going to change?

Moyes would be a fool not to continue with RVP upfront, and I sincerely hope he maintains 4-2-3-1 which SAF favoured last season. Rooney played many games in the 3 behind RVP, so it's ridiculous to suggest he should play behind RVP when in fact he would have done last season anyway. Playing 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 shouldn't really matter to a No.10 because he has the same kind of role in both formations. If Rooney's problem is that he was asked to play on the left of the 3, then ok, that's a valid question, but by all accounts he asked SAF if he still figured in his plans, not that he was shunted to the left on occasions.

If his form wasn't consistently good (which it wasn't) then why shouldn't SAF haul his ass off after 60-70 mins?

I say we get rid and move on.

This sums up your entire stance in this thread. There's you and there's "Rooney-lovers", and anything that goes against your point of view must clearly be an expression of their bias. I don't believe anything. If Rooney goes you'll be celebrating because you don't like him but, more importantly, because you were right. Yay. Well done. I don't particularly care either way. It's pretty clear to me that the best thing for the club is to keep him but if we can't do that then I'm not arsed. I don't believe that Rooney wants to stay or that United want to keep him at all costs. I don't care. Both your and Sparky Hughes' bizarrely adamant stance against one of your club's players has led you to completely miss the point I was making. I don't think that everything Sir Alex says is true. Ronaldo's an obvious example as is Verón. I do think that everything Sir Alex says is carefully thought out with United's best interests in mind, however. Saying "we're not letting him leave" when keeping him would "adversely restrict our dealings in the transfer market" or "affect team unity or create a damaging sense of player power" would be a spectacularly stupid thing to do, obviously.
Fair point

I would rather he left at this point, yes, that's hardly a secret. I've no idea whether he will though, as we don't know how Moyes will want to handle this being newly appointed and all. I do however think it's silly for anyone to pretend they've got any insight whatsoever into what's going on in the background though with the 'it's pretty clear that the club think this' talk you were spouting.

I think that the lack of any solid news since his transfer request was revealed, has somewhat blinded people into believing that he's more likely to stay. I still believe that he's as good as gone and I haven't mellowed in the slightest. He doesn't want to play here, so let him go and bring in somebody who does.

It’s not even debateable that selling Rooney would benefit our transfer capabilities or Hernandez’ development – those are both clear positives to any transfer and the only debate is the weight you attach to each.

If we sell at £30,000,000 and consequently don’t offer him a new £200k contract then over 4 years that gives the club over £70,000,000 to invest in new players. Having that money would obviously benefit us in the transfer market. Personally I think we could spend the money far more wisely especially considering at his age his resale value would be negligible, to the extent you are pretty much writing that spending off.

The alternatives we have up front also affect the impact of any sale. With Van Persie, Kagawa, Hernandez and Welbeck our forwards are more than good enough to cope without Rooney. Obviously in an ideal world keeping him would be better, but Kagawa behind RVP is not a significantly worse a first choice pairing IMO and it could potentially become better than Rooney/RVP.

That depth of talent impacts the transfer aspects of selling Rooney. If you decide to keep Rooney then you’re effectively investing that £70million in a forward – a position we don’t desperately need. If we sell and invest it in two central midfielders or a winger then we solve a much more pressing weakness – i.e. a position we do need. The actual benefit to spending the money in midfield is far greater than spending it on a striker.

In terms of Hernandez he only started 9 of the 38 league games this season, which would obviously increase if Rooney were sold. The importance you attach to this depends on how highly you rate Hernandez, but I don’t think it’s controversial to suggest he’ll see more game time if Rooney leaves which will surely bring him on as a player.

No, it is debatable that it would add to our "transfer market strength". Selling the best English player of his generation and one of our two best players (at his peak) sends out the wrong message. All this logic could have been applied to Keane back in 2000 as well - we had other options in midfield, we needed to reinvest in weaker areas (defence) and we'd have saved a fortune on wages (and kept our wage structure intact). We decided to keep one of our best players because that's a top club's priority. You don't sell these players willingly. If we did it would make weaken our "transfer market strength", I'd argue. All this talk about how we could reinvest this mountain of money is just a lot of fanciful notions. It's not how we operate. We sold Ronaldo, we replaced him with Valencia. If we were forced to sell Rooney we would do the same, we wouldn't go out and buy a superstar to try and replace him. There's no other big name player that can offer a remotely similar skillset so we'd do our usual thing of buying a PL proven striker to boost the squad and we'd give our current strikers more chances. We don't need another cash boost to go out and buy a big name midfielder or winger - if we find one that fits our criteria we'll go out and buy them regardless of the Rooney situation.

Scholes is England’s best player of this generation.

Sends out the wrong message... To whom? Who really cares what message it sends out, did selling Ronaldo send out the wrong message? We seemed to cope okay if it did. You’ve just pulled this out your arse.

Keeping Rooney is not the clubs “priority” – the priority of the club is to remain successful and that can occur with or without Rooney. You assess the situation and if the benefits outweigh the costs then you sell, exactly how we resolved the Ronaldo transfer. The fact is that we do not have an unlimited budget and you don’t scoff at the investment required in keeping Rooney. You are dismissing it as if it’s a pittance when in reality re-signing him and giving up the transfer fee is hugely significant and will be by far the biggest decision made this summer. If he is not worth his £200,000 per week then we absolutely should not pay it. That is how you run any successful club.

In the exact same way you are understating the affect selling Rooney would have on our budget. It isn’t “fanciful” to suggest that freeing up £70,000,000 would give us room to operate in the transfer market, of course it would. You seem to have no concept of budgets.

I don’t think anyone expects the club to invest all the money saved on one superstar player. I purposely left out the names of potential signings because I didn’t want to get into the muppetry. But the point was to reinvest the transfer money into midfield so where you say “There's no other big name player that can offer a remotely similar skillset”, that is missing the point – we would leave our forwards as they are, Kagawa can partner Van Persie and Hernandez/Welbeck will get more game time.

Saying that the club never operates by making significant transfers is ludicrous, when it has to be done then the club will do it. Look at 2007 with Tevez, Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves and the twins all coming in. Everyone can see that our midfield needs improving and given the number of CM’s we have been linked to Moyes presumably sees that as well. Last season our wingers were the worst they have been in as long as I can remember, and it looks like our best winger is going to be sold. There are clear opportunities to improve the squad and selling Rooney would facilitate that happening – hence it is one benefit of the transfer.

No, it is debatable that it would add to our "transfer market strength". Selling the best English player of his generation and one of our two best players (at his peak) sends out the wrong message. All this logic could have been applied to Keane back in 2000 as well - we had other options in midfield, we needed to reinvest in weaker areas (defence) and we'd have saved a fortune on wages (and kept our wage structure intact). We decided to keep one of our best players because that's a top club's priority. You don't sell these players willingly. If we did it would make weaken our "transfer market strength", I'd argue. All this talk about how we could reinvest this mountain of money is just a lot of fanciful notions. It's not how we operate. We sold Ronaldo, we replaced him with Valencia. If we were forced to sell Rooney we would do the same, we wouldn't go out and buy a superstar to try and replace him. There's no other big name player that can offer a remotely similar skillset so we'd do our usual thing of buying a PL proven striker to boost the squad and we'd give our current strikers more chances. We don't need another cash boost to go out and buy a big name midfielder or winger - if we find one that fits our criteria we'll go out and buy them regardless of the Rooney situation.

Wouldn't the sales of Beckham and RVN also have affected our 'transfer market strentgh' in the adverse way you suggest?

How often we have heard this though....at his peak hes amazing, when in form hes one of the best.....based on last season those days are getting further and further apart. He certainly doesn't deserve an increase on his current deal, Personally I dont think he will sign on again for the same terms or less.....at least not while there is still blood in stretfords veins, meaning if we want to avoid being in a similar situation but with much less bargaining power next summer we have to sell now. Loosing him isnt going to be the blow on the field it once was, unless he is prepared to sign an extension for the same terms, and accept the fact that if he plays poorly it will result in time on the bench he has to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.