Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't great. But he didn't play in a role which allowed him to shine freely either. For significant parts of the match he had a purely tactical function (out wide, at that). Whether he performed his given task brilliantly is certainly up for debate, but he did perform it. I find it interesting that you use this particular match as an example: Rooney did a job, an anything but glamorous one, as he has done for us on many occasions under Fergie. After Ronaldo buggered off he has played a part for us off the ball which many have never given him any credit for. They've seen him as our big star, number ten on his back, and expected him to produce fireworks on a regular basis - like Messi and Ronnie.

You couldn't ask either of those players to do the job he's often done for us - as a midfielder of sorts on many occasions. Rooney isn't a glitz player, he hasn't been that for a long time.

I'm not using this to excuse his hot-and-cold form. He is inconsistent as far as his touch and the rest of it goes - there's no denying that. But he is also an extremely versatile player - a player who has put in a number of sheer "shifts" in various roles that you wouldn't dream of asking certain other players to take on. In a fair assessment of his contribution to our success over the years this should be mentioned too.

Good post. Echo's what Fergie said. On form he would never dropped him. So then is down to his form. Temporary or in decline?

It is an example i'm not talking about how he affected the match going forward or defending. I'm talking about the basics. Passing and controlling the ball that is the most recent but he did against Norwich also for about 60 minutes. If you made Ronaldo and Messi play like that they would be able to do the bare basics that is my point. I've seen him play the role many times over the years it is not new to him, he may not shine there but he is mostly solid. The kind of performance we saw against Madrid is not an anomaly they happen here and there for him. I like him as a player though just voicing my opinion on him. Not quite world class but very good 'when on form' he is what he is now so you take the good with the bad.

That is fair and he should be commended for that but it also doesn't give him a pass. If he was as good as Ronaldo or Messi going forward he would not be asked to do those things, that is benefit if being the best. Players are put around you to help you shine.

Well, it's a matter of definitions, I suppose. I would say it's strange to say that a player who has contributed as much as he has to one of the best teams in Europe - winning multiple trophies along the way - whilst being that team's most important player for several years, is NOT "world class". If so I don't understand what "world class" means at all. But, again, definitions - no point in going over that again.

I would suggest, as I have before, that Rooney is an odd kind of "world class" player (being neither fowl nor fish compared to many others), but "world class" nonetheless. He hasn't had many players around him in recent seasons to help him shine - rather, he has been the main offensive force of the team, its main goal provider, and at the same time he has had an off-the-ball function which will never be appreciated in the same way people hail more eye-friendly aspects of the game. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Yeah, that's an assist.

You should use commas, they help others to read your sentence.
Paul Scholes had one of the most brilliant assists you'll ever see to set up Hernandez against Villa. Yet few would argue that he had a good game. This is one reason why the assist stat can be a bit misleading (or at least it's something that should be taken with a grain of salt.)

Well, it's a matter of definitions, I suppose. I would say it's strange to say that a player who has contributed as much as he has to one of the best teams in Europe - winning multiple trophies along the way - whilst being that team's most important player for several years, is NOT "world class". If so I don't understand what "world class" means at all. But, again, definitions - no point in going over that again.

I would suggest, as I have before, that Rooney is an odd kind of "world class" player (being neither fowl nor fish compared to many others), but "world class" nonetheless. He hasn't had many players around him in recent seasons to help him shine - rather, he has been the main offensive force of the team, its main goal provider, and at the same time he has had an off-the-ball function which will never be appreciated in the same way people hail more eye-friendly aspects of the game. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Fair enough. 'world class' like you said has a differing definition depending on who you ask. I just want this whole situation solved. He's never going to be a player all the fans love too much has happened now. But selling him would mean a drop in the quality of the squad which I don't think we can afford without investment. Nani is leaving also. I don't feel comfortable with Young, Valencia and Zaha.

Paul Scholes had one of the most brilliant assists you'll ever see to set up Hernandez against Villa. Yet few would argue that he had a good game. This is one reason why the assist stat can be a bit misleading (or at least it's something that should be taken with a grain of salt.)

And?

Wayne Rooney got an assist vs Madrid, pointing it out doesn't sugarcoat anything.

I can see this ending with Rooney and Moyes posed for a photo having just signed a fat new contract, I just wish they'd get it over with so we can move on.

Fair enough. 'world class' like you said has a differing definition depending on who you ask. I just want this whole situation solved. He's never going to be a player all the fans love too much has happened now. But selling him would mean a drop in the quality of the squad which I don't think we can afford without investment. Nani is leaving also. I don't feel comfortable with Young, Valencia and Zaha.

Agreed on both counts. He hasn't been an undisputed favourite ever since the "ransom" incident - and he certainly won't be should he stay on now. But then again, he doesn't need to be. All he needs to do is start playing decent football again - and if Moyes uses him wisely I really believe Rooney can get some wind back in his sails. I understand those who want to see the back of him right now - but I'm willing to bet many of those (not all) will at least semi-forgive him if he scores a bucketload next season. And he's capable of that.

The second point is the main one, though. I have faith in Chicharito as a finisher - lots of faith. His allround game is a different matter, though. And I have plenty of faith in Welbeck too - but he is definitely not a finisher to speak of at the moment. Depending on how Moyes intends to line up we might look bloody vulnerable with Rooney gone and RVP out injured. The one thing we know about Rooney is that he is a more than capable (allround) striker - proven at the very highest level. I see it as an unnecessary risk to sell him at this point unless we have to. Or unless we have an ideal replacement ready at hand. But who would that be? Ron...no, I don't see that happening.

Lastly, I think Moyes will do something about our CM situation regardless of Rooney staying or going. I don't think keeping Rooney means we won't buy a CM - so the argument that we need to offload him in order to finance our transfer plans is moot in my opinion. There's nothing to suggest we struggle for cash at the moment.

And?

Wayne Rooney got an assist vs Madrid, pointing it out doesn't sugarcoat anything.
And yet the poster on the previous page tried to do just that, implying that his getting an assist against Madrid meant he had a positive impact on the game.

And yet the poster on the previous page tried to do just that, implying that his getting an assist against Madrid meant he had a positive impact on the game.

Assisting a goal is having a positive impact on the game, no matter how you try to twist it

Yes, because only in the Rooney thread could an assist become a negative impact on a game. Clearly it had a positive impact on the game, saying otherwise makes no sense.

Agreed on both counts. He hasn't been an undisputed favourite ever since the "ransom" incident - and he certainly won't be should he stay on now. But then again, he doesn't need to be. All he needs to do is start playing decent football again - and if Moyes uses him wisely I really believe Rooney can get some wind back in his sails. I understand those who want to see the back of him right now - but I'm willing to bet many of those (not all) will at least semi-forgive him if he scores a bucketload next season. And he's capable of that.

The second point is the main one, though. I have faith in Chicharito as a finisher - lots of faith. His allround game is a different matter, though. And I have plenty of faith in Welbeck too - but he is definitely not a finisher to speak of at the moment. Depending on how Moyes intends to line up we might look bloody vulnerable with Rooney gone and RVP out injured. The one thing we know about Rooney is that he is a more than capable (allround) striker - proven at the very highest level. I see it as an unnecessary risk to sell him at this point unless we have to. Or unless we have an ideal replacement ready at hand. But who would that be? Ron...no, I don't see that happening.

Lastly, I think Moyes will do something about our CM situation regardless of Rooney staying or going. I don't think keeping Rooney means we won't buy a CM - so the argument that we need to offload him in order to finance our transfer plans is moot in my opinion. There's nothing to suggest we struggle for cash at the moment.

Imagine we could combine Chicharito and Welbeck?

I agree though he is a great goal scorer somewhat limited player, but he has improved these last two years and vice versa with Welbeck. Rooney is a jack of all trades and his inclusion has meant we have been able to paper over gaps in over positions. If he is motivated he is a good player still a match winner but that is the IF. We need to get a partner for Carrick in the middle a quality player who will link the midfield and attack. At times we struggled to do this which meant Rooney/Kagawa dropping deep and leaving Van Persie isolated. I don't particularly like Young or Valencia though if Valencia reaches his form of 2 years ago or something near that we have a handy player. Zaha will have a settling in year. The team is at a crossroads we need a few signings to maintain our level (as I think our rivals will improve and be hungry) and close the gap on the elite teams in Europe. Hopefully Moyes is given the funds for that and he uses them wisely.

Assisting a goal is having a positive impact on the game, no matter how you try to twist it

I agree with that but he still had a very poor game. He was a liability out there hence him getting taken of at 70 minutes.

The real reason behind Rooney's transfer request:

779353443.jpg

Rooney: Err... lads... I've just noticed something... have you looked at our shirts recently?
Rio: Our shirts?
Rooney: The badges on our shirts... have you looked at them?
Rio: What?... no... err... a bit...
Rooney: They've got the devil on them...
Rio: What?
Rooney: Have you noticed our badges have got little pictures of Satan on them...?
Rio: I don't... err...
Rooney: Rio... are we "The Baddies"???

(©Mitchell & Webb)

He'll stay and i actually want him too. Just needs to get confidence back and stop playing in flipping midfield.

I love how Rooney gets every benefit of the doubt in the book ('when on form, he's one of the best', 'he needs to get his confidence back, then he's one of the best', 'he needs to stop playing in midfield, then he's one of the best'), whilst poor Nani gets ripped apart for being a bit inconsistent.

Nani's tired of being the 'goat.

Well, the thing is that poor Nani, bless the lamb, has not - whether one likes it or not - been anywhere near as instrumental for this team as poor Wayne has. The latter is on course to become our all time top scorer. His inconsistency isn't overlooked by any means - most United fans I know can't stop banging on about it, in fact. But in the grander scheme of things his inconsistency is to live with in light of his overall contribution.

I have several mates who all support United and most of them have an issue with Rooney (these days, not least). The main reason for this is that they want him to be someone else. They're gutted that he didn't turn out to be as consistently brilliant as they'd hoped. I think this goes for many of our fans. It's understandable, in one sense. In another sense it's bloody unreasonable. He is what he is. And he wouldn't have had half his reputation for inconsistency among our fans if he had played his whole career as an out and out striker. It's his versatility more than anything - the fact that he's often been played deep, and often failed to shine as a playmaker (of sorts) - which has gotten him this reputation. If he had stayed up front, scoring goals (and he would've scored even more as a sheer striker, of course) the complaints would've been few and far between.

Well, there you are. I'm not on a mission to have the fecker canonized - he has had a brilliant career, there's no reason to feel sorry for him. But I do think many of our fans are guilty of under-appreciating a player who has been - again - instrumental for us during Fergie's last years in charge.

Mourinho said: "I think he [Rooney] is at a fantastic age for a player: maturity, big experience, still young. It's up to him and what he wants, what makes him happy. He's a little bit like me: he doesn't need one more pound in his contract. One more cup won't make a different. Be happy. Where is he happy? Where will he find more happiness to have ambition and drive him? I like him as a boy. I wish him well and hope he is happy."

Pushed on whether he would be interested in signing the player, Mourinho said: "I learned a few things. One of them is I don't comment on players from other teams. No chance. No chance."

From The Independent

The real reason behind Rooney's transfer request:

Rooney: Err... lads... I've just noticed something... have you looked at our shirts recently?
Rio: Our shirts?
Rooney: The badges on our shirts... have you looked at them?
Rio: What?... no... err... a bit...
Rooney: They've got the devil on them...
Rio: What?
Rooney: Have you noticed our badges have got little pictures of Satan on them...?
Rio: I don't... err...
Rooney: Rio... are we "The Baddies"???

(©Mitchell & Webb)

Yikes.
That is horrendous.

Well, the thing is that poor Nani, bless the lamb, has not - whether one likes it or not - been anywhere near as instrumental for this team as poor Wayne has. The latter is on course to become our all time top scorer. His inconsistency isn't overlooked by any means - most United fans I know can't stop banging on about it, in fact. But in the grander scheme of things his inconsistency is to live with in light of his overall contribution.

I have several mates who all support United and most of them have an issue with Rooney (these days, not least). The main reason for this is that they want him to be someone else. They're gutted that he didn't turn out to be as consistently brilliant as they'd hoped. I think this goes for many of our fans. It's understandable, in one sense. In another sense it's bloody unreasonable. He is what he is. And he wouldn't have had half his reputation for inconsistency among our fans if he had played his whole career as an out and out striker. It's his versatility more than anything - the fact that he's often been played deep, and often failed to shine as a playmaker (of sorts) - which has gotten him this reputation. If he had stayed up front, scoring goals (and he would've scored even more as a sheer striker, of course) the complaints would've been few and far between.

Well, there you are. I'm not on a mission to have the fecker canonized - he has had a brilliant career, there's no reason to feel sorry for him. But I do think many of our fans are guilty of under-appreciating a player who has been - again - instrumental for us during Fergie's last years in charge.

Very true.

I don't think anyone, myself included doesn't recognize what a hugely influential player he has been and how important to our success he has been, its more a case of people being sick of everything that comes with it.

Last years perhaps but not last year. Rooney is the highest paid player at the club and it's contract renewal time, he's at a stage in his career where his attitude problems are going to be an increasing factor and is beginning to have demands which very possibly will not coincide with those fo the club, the brass will have been faced with a decision soon enough anyway.

I don't think anyone, myself included doesn't recognize what a hugely influential player he has been and how important to our success he has been, its more a case of people being sick of everything that comes with it.

In other words sick of getting wound up with pointless shit that has absolutely nothing to do with results and his ability to influence games. :lol:

Ahh this thread will make the classics one day.

Not really, he just pointed out that he did in fact get an assist, which in itself is a positive imapact on the game.

I love how Rooney gets every benefit of the doubt in the book ('when on form, he's one of the best', 'he needs to get his confidence back, then he's one of the best', 'he needs to stop playing in midfield, then he's one of the best'), whilst poor Nani gets ripped apart for being a bit inconsistent.

I don't agree. Just read back through this thread. Rooney gets beyond his fair share of criticism. Nani also gets his 'give him a run of games and he's far more consistent' posts in his thread also. Most muppet line-ups for next season have Nani in them, he's hardly the Caf villain.

In other words sick of getting wound up with pointless shit that has absolutely nothing to do with results and his ability to influence games. :lol:

Ahh this thread will make the classics one day.
Not really, his fitness issues are to do with results........as is his regular drops in form.

I agree with this. Obviously, we'd need to find a suitable replacement if he were to leave (and that won't be easy to do,) but given his age, health/attitude issues and inconsistency, his leaving wouldn't be as devastating a blow as it would have been 3 years ago. Of course, having a better player in RVP doesn't hurt either (this wasn't the case in 2010, when he was clearly our best player.)

How are posters still finding things to talk about in this thread? Aren't you all just saying the same things over and over?

BMfHN41CMAIXG1y.jpg

Pleeeeeeease release me, let me goooo
No, stay....no, go...oh, feck ittttt

Status
Not open for further replies.