Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he'll end up staying.

He probably thought that all the big clubs would be in for him and that hasn't been the case. With the exception of United, most clubs now feel the need to announce to the world who they want to sign and only PSG and Arsenal have shown interest despite his price tag being small in comparison to other top targets such as Bale and Suarez. With the market for his services not what he hoped it would be, he now has to choose between United, Arsenal and PSG.

That's what I'm starting to think as well. I bet he was expecting clubs like Real, Bayern etc to be in for him. Instead he only got nibbles from Arsenal and PSG. Probably not what he was hoping for. I haven't commented on this thread yet, but personally I couldn't care less if he decides to go. He's a good player no doubt, but if he doesn't wanna be here, let him go. We'll cope fine without him. I don't see him as being indispensable at all. My attitude with these type of situations is if he's gonna be petulant and hand in a second transfer request in a few years he's better off elsewhere. Not point in having a player that isn't committed. Aside from 09-10 I've never considered him to be undroppable or unsaleable. If he was to go it just means Kagawa gets more of a shot at the no.10 role and I dont see that as a bad thing.

That's what I'm starting to think as well. I bet he was expecting clubs like Real, Bayern etc to be in for him. Instead he only got nibbles from Arsenal and PSG. Probably not what he was hoping for. I haven't commented on this thread yet, but personally I couldn't care less if he decides to go. He's a good player no doubt, but if he doesn't wanna be here, let him go. We'll cope fine without him. I don't see him as being indispensable at all. My attitude with these type of situations is if he's gonna be petulant and hand in a second transfer request in a few years he's better off elsewhere. Not point in having a player that isn't committed. Aside from 09-10 I've never considered him to be undroppable or unsaleable. If he was to go it just means Kagawa gets more of a shot at the no.10 role and I dont see that as a bad thing.

That is a very good point. It was probably not what he had in mind when it went official.

It's a shite point.

If this was a genuine calculated transfer request like many seem to think so (I don't) then Rooney would have been well aware of which clubs would like to sign him. That's what an agent is for. Rooney is not completely stupid, he did get 200k out of the club last time by putting in a request at the right time.

It's a shite point.

If this was a genuine calculated transfer request like many seem to think so (I don't) then Rooney would have been well aware of which clubs would like to sign him. That's what an agent is for. Rooney is not completely stupid, he did get 200k out of the club last time by putting in a request at the right time.

Well..he isn't going to get 200k again from this club...that is what I reckon...so he either goes with what is offered, or goes somewhere else to get what he wants...simple as that really.

Well..he isn't going to get 200k again from this club...that is what I reckon...so he either goes with what is offered, or goes somewhere else to get what he wants...simple as that really.

I don't think it's about money this time at all but looks like I am in the minority

Rooney would be just fine in Paris, they have McDonald's, all the thick cnut would need to do is point and grunt, and I'm certain even someone with his limited mental capacity could, with patient tutoring be taught how to recognise a bar, a tobacconist and a brothel.....although the potential for him accidentlly trying to get laid in an old folks home could be amusing.

I don't think it's about money this time at all but looks like I am in the minority

nor do I with respect to Rooney...but his agent? Yes..its all about money for him. Rooney is not the brightest spark in the world and, like last time, is probably easily persuaded by sentences like "hey Wayne, I'll make sure you are pivotal to the team, play in your favourite position AND get an extra 50K a week for you...."

Here's an excerpt from an article I read last night:

"Told by key participants who prefer to remain anonymous for reasons which will become clear, here is the story of how the transfer rumour mill grinds up its heady swirl of information and disinformation – and how players, agents and clubs use it for their own ends…
The Agent I think part of the fascination with the transfer rumour mill is this: in football, you have so few chances to actually win anything. So seeing your club pursue and eventually complete a massive transfer is as near as some supporters will come to actually winning something.
The Tabloid Journalist The demand now is insatiable. When you look at the numbers of readers online, transfer stories come out on top for sport stories. Even a tenuous transfer story involving one of the big clubs can top the charts.
The Premier League Player How do they start? Let’s say I wanted a move…well, if you’re Premier League quality you can get one, but it isn’t as simple as going into the manager’s office and putting 
a letter on his desk.
The Chief Exec A written request is the worst thing for a player or an agent. Every contract has an annual loyalty bonus built in and even if a player is sold in the most acrimonious circumstances, as long as he didn’t hand in a transfer request the club has to pay that for the remainder of his contract. Players and agents don’t want to lose that so you end up doing this dance."

In red, I put the part which stuck out to me because I think this a probable reason why Wayne Rooney didn't put in an official transfer request. What do you lot think?

Rooney would be just fine in Paris, they have McDonald's, all the thick cnut would need to do is point and grunt, and I'm certain even someone with his limited mental capacity could, with patient tutoring be taught how to recognise a bar, a tobacconist and a brothel.....although the potential for him accidentlly trying to get laid in an old folks home could be amusing.

Thanks for that, now refrain from posting any more unless it's some sort of contribution beyond your poor, tired and not very current attempt at stand up comedy.

Here's an excerpt from an article I read last night:

"Told by key participants who prefer to remain anonymous for reasons which will become clear, here is the story of how the transfer rumour mill grinds up its heady swirl of information and disinformation – and how players, agents and clubs use it for their own ends…
The Agent I think part of the fascination with the transfer rumour mill is this: in football, you have so few chances to actually win anything. So seeing your club pursue and eventually complete a massive transfer is as near as some supporters will come to actually winning something.
The Tabloid Journalist The demand now is insatiable. When you look at the numbers of readers online, transfer stories come out on top for sport stories. Even a tenuous transfer story involving one of the big clubs can top the charts.
The Premier League Player How do they start? Let’s say I wanted a move…well, if you’re Premier League quality you can get one, but it isn’t as simple as going into the manager’s office and putting 
a letter on his desk.
The Chief Exec A written request is the worst thing for a player or an agent. Every contract has an annual loyalty bonus built in and even if a player is sold in the most acrimonious circumstances, as long as he didn’t hand in a transfer request the club has to pay that for the remainder of his contract. Players and agents don’t want to lose that so you end up doing this dance."

In red, I put the part which stuck out to me because I think this a probable reason why Wayne Rooney didn't put in an official transfer request. What do you lot think?

I don't think he has handed in a formal transfer request, no. If he has, his silence on the matter in subsequent weeks is pretty much unprecedented. In all likelihood he had a chat with Fergie, threw a bit of a tantrum, threatened to leave - and so forth. Fergie then went public with it - for whatever reason. Perhaps he had no particular reason - perhaps he was just a wee bit tired of Rooney (and his agent)? Hard to tell - and ancient history at that: After Fergie announced his retirement the game changed completely. What was said between the two of them some weeks before Rooney knew Fergie would retire isn't all that relevant, really.

Just out of curiosity. What do you prefer Moyes to do?

1. Keep Rooney on current contract and see if he takes the challenge.
2. Cash in on Rooney and try to buy Thiago and Strootman/Fellaini.
3. Give Rooney a new improved contract with the possibility that this restrict the club to buy other high profile players. (for ex Thiago)

3. Give Rooney a new improved contract with the possibility that this restrict the club to buy other high profile players. (for ex Thiago)

Second option, all day long. Though I think that if we sell him we should probably aim to sign an another superstar like Ronaldo, Bale or Mata if rumours are true. But, I would be happy only if we sign Thiago and a cover for Carrick and we sell Rooney.

Any of the top two. As long as he doesn't come out of this with another pay rise I will be happy.

I'd love us to keep Rooney if it could be guaranteed that he actually would 'rise to the challenge' but I just can't see that happening. I mean, if he wasn't inspired by us signing stellar talents like RVP & Kagawa nor by the chase for the title, what will it take to bring his passion and enthusiasm back? To me, the prospect of Wayne flourishing under the new manager seems unlikely. I just don't believe he rates Moyes, sadly.

I'd love us to keep Rooney if it could be guaranteed that he actually would 'rise to the challenge' but I just can't see that happening. I mean, if he wasn't inspired by us signing stellar talents like RVP & Kagawa nor by the chase for the title, what will it take to bring his passion and enthusiasm back? To me, the prospect of Wayne flourishing under the new manager seems unlikely. I just don't believe he rates Moyes, sadly.

Why's that then?

Also, if he rated Fergie that highly, why did he always act up with him as manager?

Th
Any of the top two. As long as he doesn't come out of this with another pay rise I will be happy.

The fact is, we're never going to know the truth if he does sign an extension/new contract.

The papers will say whatever fits the agenda or sells papers. He might just add 3 years on his current deal which I think he'd be happy with considering it would see him in to his early 30's on a huge contract. The papers won't have a clue and will probably say "Rooney gets 3 more years and £300,000 a week!"

Similarly, we might have to pay him more die to a natural inflation with his image rights, the percentage we agreed to pay for might be worth more now and we'll have to cover it. Or, his image rights might be worth less and as a result he will want to get a bit more of a basic wage to cover that, a 28 year old star footballer won't expect to go backwards on a contract at the age of 27/28.

It's a shite point.

If it wasn't a calculated transfer request, then what was it? The way I see it is he doesn't like playing second fiddle to anyone so he wants to move to a club where he will be the main man. Unfortunately for Rooney there aren't many clubs out there that can offer him that role.

Why's that then?

Also, if he rated Fergie that highly, why did he always act up with him as manager?

Well, he even disagreed with SAF's decisions, in the end.
As for Rooney & Moyes, Rooney's 2007 autobiography clearly displays Wayne's thoughts about Moyes as a man and as a manager; I don't believe Wayne has altered in his beliefs about David Moyes, regardless of how bridges have supposedly been rebuilt in recent years. Of course, though, that's just my opinion, so I may be wrong.

Well, he even disagreed with SAF's decisions, in the end.
As for Rooney & Moyes, Rooney's 2007 autobiography clearly displays Wayne's thoughts about Moyes as a man and as a manager; I don't believe Wayne has altered in his beliefs about David Moyes, regardless of how bridges have supposedly been rebuilt in recent years. Of course, though, that's just my opinion, so I may be wrong.

All the reports I've read suggest that the issue is completely resolved, and the media wouldn't hesitate to stir up shit on this story, if there was anything in it.

I've maintained the same view ever since Fergie announced his retirement - it's a clean slate for Rooney, and I think he'll stay. Where's he realistically going to go? He has two years left on his deal; does anyone truly believe we'd sell to an English side with that length of time on his contract?

If it wasn't a calculated transfer request, then what was it? The way I see it is he doesn't like playing second fiddle to anyone so he wants to move to a club where he will be the main man. Unfortunately for Rooney there aren't many clubs out there that can offer him that role.

He played second fiddle to Ronaldo and didn't seem to have a problem with it. In my opinion it's just frustration at being played in multiple positions, at being substituted constantly and perhaps a bit of frustration at his own form. As far as we know he never submitted a formal transfer request, in fact even before Fergie confirmed his desire to leave at the Swansea game the BBC story indicated that he never submitted an official request.

The assumption that he is again after more money is bollocks as far as I am concerned. If he wanted more money then he couldn't have picked a worse time to demand it with us having RVP and him coming of a poorish season.

No offense Sparky, you're a good poster and a sound fella but your constant Rooney bashing is getting old. Its not even like you're criticizing his ability or mentioning football half the time, its just childish name calling.

All the reports I've read suggest that the issue is completely resolved, and the media wouldn't hesitate to stir up shit on this story, if there was anything in it.

I didn't really mean that there's any lingering dislike - just a lack of respect for Moyes' abilities as a manager. Rooney might be critical of SAF on occasion, but he knew that SAF had the track record of success to justify his decision-making; Moyes lacks this entirely.

Anyway, only Wayne knows how he truly feels about Moyes, so my opinion counts for little or nothing.

No offense Sparky, you're a good poster and a sound fella but your constant Rooney bashing is getting old. Its not even like you're criticizing his ability or mentioning football half the time, its just childish name calling.

I agree. Too many posters are letting emotions cloud the Rooney-debate.

rooney has had his nose put out and wants reassurance from the new boss that he will feature heavily in any future plans. I think SAF was not the same with him after his previous request, and once he had other options he made his point to Rooney by making him feel less important.

for me Rooney should probably go. Many of the overly emotional on here had not forgiven him his previous request, add another and i see his position as now getting close to untenable. Sometimes a change is needed, a fresh start for all concerned. I think Utd fans and Rooney have now reached that stage. The most damning indication for Rooney is even those who do not necessarily want him to leave seem fairly indifferent as to whether he stays.

He has lost his zest and is no longer improving at Utd, tbh there is probably far more of a case that he is devolving from what he was, rather than looking like a superstar approaching his peak. Maybe Moyes can turn that around, but i get the feeling we have reached the point where a parting of the ways would be of most benefit to all concerned.

I didn't really mean that there's any lingering dislike - just a lack of respect for Moyes' abilities as a manager. Rooney might be critical of SAF on occasion, but he knew that SAF had the track record of success to justify his decision-making; Moyes lacks this entirely.

Anyway, only Wayne knows how he truly feels about Moyes, so my opinion counts for little or nothing.

Maybe he does hold that view, maybe he doesn't. Though you'd hope if Rooney, or any United player, held that view, the endorsement of Fergie/Charlton would be enough to sway them.

Like I said, when the Rooney issue is looked at dispassionately, all logic suggests he'll stay here. Even the media have given up trying to seriously run stories about him leaving - they half heartedly talk about him moving to Arsenal (as though we'd sell, as though they could afford him, as though he'd want to go to a relative also-ran...)

There's no where for him to go.

Maybe he does hold that view, maybe he doesn't. Though you'd hope if Rooney, or any United player, held that view, the endorsement of Fergie/Charlton would be enough to sway them.

Like I said, when the Rooney issue is looked at dispassionately, all logic suggests he'll stay here. Even the media have given up trying to seriously run stories about him leaving - they half heartedly talk about him moving to Arsenal (as though we'd sell, as though they could afford him, as though he'd want to go to a relative also-ran...)

There's no where for him to go.

not quite true, but i agree his options seem far more limited than last time. I think there are many places Rooney can go, but no longer as a 200k player. If he halved his wage demands and Utd sell him for less than £30m, then he remains a player worth taking a chance on.

But, if like Torres, people still want to demand money based upon rooney's standing at his peak as opposed to today, then i agree his options are seriously limited. He just isn't worth 40m and 200k a week any more, his performances just do not merit those figures any longer. Chelsea got stung paying fees for Torres that his displays no longer warranted, i don't think we will see such costly errors in judgment being repeated with Rooney.

Surely there's more to it than rating Moyes though? He may not be a managerial genius, but there's a good chance Rooney could end up going off to somewhere like PSG or Monaco and he's got no guarantee that he's going to have an incredible manager at either of those clubs. Obviously the change of manager may have an influence, but I'm not sure if it's enough for him to completely sway any thoughts of staying.

not quite true, but i agree his options seem far more limited than last time. I think there are many places Rooney can go, but no longer as a 200k player. If he halved his wage demands and Utd sell him for less than £30m, then he remains a player worth taking a chance on.

But, if like Torres, people still want to demand money based upon rooney's standing at his peak as opposed to today, then i agree his options are seriously limited. He just isn't worth 40m and 200k a week any more, his performances just do not merit those figures any longer. Chelsea got stung paying fees for Torres that his displays no longer warranted, i don't think we will see such costly errors in judgment being repeated with Rooney.

We've got two years left on his deal, so there's no need for us to be short changed - put it this way, I don't see United selling cheaply.

What's more, I don't see us selling to another English club - we are not Arsenal, and we have seen first hand with RvP how selling to a rival can have such a massive impact.

That leaves Rooney, with a new child and a family that is settled in the north west, looking beyond these shores - is he inclined to do that? I'm not so sure.

As I've said time and again, this situation doesn't feel like him angling for more cash. It feels like him being frustrated at being a relatively marginal figure since RvP came in. I think the change of manager could be good for him to get his spark back. I don't buy into the talk of him being past his best at just 27.

Surely there's more to it than rating Moyes though? He may not be a managerial genius, but there's a good chance Rooney could end up going off to somewhere like PSG or Monaco and he's got no guarantee that he's going to have an incredible manager at either of those clubs. Obviously the change of manager may have an influence, but I'm not sure if it's enough for him to completely sway any thoughts of staying.

Exactly. For the record, who is the Monaco manager?

True. However, the 'manager problem' isn't the main point of my doubts about this latest fuss. To me, it isn't about SAF or Moyes or playing positions or even being dropped - once again, it's all about the potential pluses or minuses of contract negotiations. That's the endgame here, IMO, and the rest is just window-dressing from Rooney's camp.

I can't get my head around that. You think Rooney might be worth taking a chance on for 100k a week? feck me, teams would be queuing up for that. He wasn't even that bad this season, just looked vacant in latter stages of the season. I swear if you'd just landed on this planet you'd think Rooney was in a wheelchair reading this thread.

He is absolutely not in the same category as Torres who had clearly lost about 3 yards of pace, something he was so reliant on in his most explosive seasons. Rooney is a far better all round forward and has the tactical knowledge of playing at the top level for nigh on 10 years. On the pitch he's not fecking stupid, just needs to get a fire under his arse again. What will light that fire is just guess work for now. I suspect he was tired of life under Ferguson. It's fair enough if that was the case, not everyone loves Fergie as much as us

True. However, the 'manager problem' isn't the main point of my doubts about this latest fuss. To me, it isn't about SAF or Moyes or playing positions or even being dropped - once again, it's all about the potential pluses or minuses of contract negotiations. That's the endgame here, IMO, and the rest is just window-dressing from Rooney's camp.

I'd agree with you on that part which is why I don't think the manager is too important. In the end, Rooney's ultimately after money and like you say that's going to be what determines where he is eventually. Personally, considering the club has already caved to him once, it would look quite weak to do so again.

Status
Not open for further replies.