Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC percentage rates for points won were better without Rooney in the side last season.

Find that hard to believe but you might be right, but what about the the past decade or so Sults? Surely this who transfer fiasco has clouded your judgement of what Wayne brings to the table every season.

In this period of monumental transition, keeping a player of Rooney's standard is very important for purely footballing reasons. But if tension between Rooney and Moyes proves to do more harm than having Rooney play for us, then it is only wise to let him move on.

There have been footballers who carry themselves much better than Wayne does, but slating his footballing ability and his contribution because of his off field tactlessness is just pure stupidity, and it is sad to see even some of the more level headed posters fall down into that state.

Christ, I guess I'd forgotten why I'd given up on this thread. It's by far the most absurd nonsense in the long, shameful history of bollocks on the caf.

What about that non-alcoholic drinks bar thread?

If he thought he was going to be sold you try and prove to the coaches on the pitch and training ground wrong by his performances.

The correct way to look at is that he has asked to be sold TWICE now and has lost his place in the team to a superior footballer with a better ethic. If he had just destroyed brazil then you can excuse the likes of wr8 and chabon who are just looking for an excuse to say rooney shouldnt be sold.

If he wants to go let him go, his place in the team will be replaced and it wont damage us that much.

Our win record is 10 percent more when he plays than when he doesn't. I think it's underrating his performances and importance to suggest we wouldn't suffer without him. I know some think Kagawa and Hernandez would easily replace him but I honestly don't see the two having the impact he does over the course of a season yet.

Brian McClair was a prolific striker, scoring 20 for us in his first season. The first United player to do that since Best. Fergie moved him to midfield, same as Smudger, for the team's sake.
Scholes was a striker, then AM, then midfielder, for the sake of the team.
Lee Sharpe played at fullback, so to Valencia. Wes Brown at right back. Phil Jones any bloody where!
What is best for the team is what mattered most to Fergie, and he earned the trust in his decisions.
Wayne Rooney wants to pick the team. Well Wayne Rooney can feck right off!

He was still getting games, to keep him involved, but he wanted to pick his spot.
The manager picks the team, and your eight figure salary compensates you for not having overall control, so suck it up!

Our win record is 10 percent more when he plays than when he doesn't. I think it's underrating his performances and importance to suggest we wouldn't suffer without him. I know some think Kagawa and Hernandez would easily replace him but I honestly don't see the two having the impact he does over the course of a season yet.

Is that this season? Personally I see RVP as his replacement, not those two.

It was a fantastic hit but the Brazil defense gave him a free run. And yes he was unfit like most of last season, and I'm actually glad he scored and assisted because his value has increased at the right time.

People defending him despite his selfishness and cuntishness towards the end of the season are the real embarassment. At first, he criticized the club for a lack of ambition we went on to win 2 PLsin 3 years and bought the best player in the league. Then he slaps in his second transfer request and reportedly wants to stay in England despite winning trophies and earning millions at the biggest club in the country. I'll never forget his antics against Chelsea at OT (and a number of games before) when he was taking the piss and I really hope he goes.
What evidence is there he was unfit tonight? Do you have distance covered stats to back it up? Does the fact that he assisted, scored and made several good contributions in the last half hour dispute the supposed fitness issues? Probably... But let me guess, he "looked" unfit? That couldn't be your perception through the Rooney hating goggles you're clearly wearing...

Antics against Chelsea :lol: he was subbed on for 20 minutes and his performance in that 20 minutes is now one of the many valid reasons he has to be forced out.

So a deflected goal and a wonder strike by chamberlain means rooney is too good to be sold again? :lol:
No one is too good to be sold. It's a rather obvious sign though then whoever thinks he's turned into a shit footballer this year needs their heads testing.

Find that hard to believe but you might be right, but what about the the past decade or so Sults? Surely this who transfer fiasco has clouded your judgement of what Wayne brings to the table every season..

I personally think his best years are behind him, and the club needs to cash in whilst they have a chance. I have been saying for some time he has lost his street fighter qualities. I certainly don't think he deserves to be on the same contract he got previously when he was phenomenal.

Why do we need to cash in? We're the most valuable club in the world. We don't need to cash in on a world class player!

I personally think his best years are behind him, and the club needs to cash in whilst they have a chance. I have been saying for some time he has lost his street fighter qualities. I certainly don't think he deserves to be on the same contract he got previously when he was phenomenal.

I think he will peak in the next couple of seasons at United. Only time will tell..

He was playing worse than he is now in the months preceding him getting that contract, and the months following too.

Why do we need to cash in? We're the most valuable club in the world. We don't need to cash in on a world class player!

I'm not sure he has proved that he is anywhere near being WC going by his performances over the last season.

He either signs a new contract now or we should sell, that I do agree with. Which it is I'm not overly fussed, there doesn't have to be so much hatred and bitterness though to our 4th top goalscorer of all time, no matter what the result of this saga is.

You're just terrified of asking the mods for a name change! ;)

Nah, I'm not going to hate him if he decides to leave after 9 years of brilliant service and 197 goals.
... If world class player might leave for free, it makes sense to sell him instead for a lot of money. Think.

Not if that world class player can still contribute to our success. And if he stays, he'll sign a new contract anyway imo so I don't see us losing him on a free at all.

... If world class player might leave for free, it makes sense to sell him instead for a lot of money. Think.

Has he got two years left on his contract? If that's the case, he has to sign an extension otherwise we could cash in on him.

I'm not sure he has proved that he is anywhere near being WC going by his performances over the last season.

17 goals after an injury disrupted season where he was played in various positions and where he got us a lot of match winning and crucial goals and contributions and he's suddenly not WC?

17 goals after an injury disrupted season where he was played in various positions and where he got us a lot of match winning and crucial goals and contributions and he's suddenly not WC?

Our definitions of WC are different.

Look, forget about the pro and contra-Rooney arguments for a moment: doesn't it strike you all as a bit too neatly coincidental that Wayne plays up near the time when contracts are going to be discussed, and when he & his agent have the knowledge that the club usually gives senior players short-term contracts on reduced terms? Me, I don't believe in coincidences when the likely truth is staring me in the face.

Yeah I'm a little surprised at the way people are defending him. At the end of the day, if Rooney's heart isn't at United then why should we have our heart in him staying? Fair enough if you really want him to stay, but don't belittle the opinions of others who have lost love for him.

I don't mind either way if he stays or goes but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Maybe some people just care more about what happens on the pitch instead clinging to these romantic notions about footballer's character that can't be quantified or verified. If people just watched football instead of following the player's lives like some kind of soap opera they wouldn't get so upset imo.

If you want footballers to feel or act a certain way off the pitch you're setting yourself up for certain disappointment. If it affects a player's game on the pitch then you might have a right to complain but Rooney has clearly been below 'his' usual standard over the past year because of factors out of his control i.e. being used out of position, being dropped and injury problems. It's not as though we didn't already know Rooney was quite a streaky player, not getting a run of games in his favoured position is bound to affect his game.

Look, forget about the pro and contra-Rooney arguments for a moment: doesn't it strike you all as a bit too neatly coincidental that Wayne plays up near the time when contracts are going to be discussed, and when he & his agent have the knowledge that the club usually gives senior players short-term contracts on reduced terms? Me, I don't believe in coincidences when the likely truth is staring me in the face.

He's just 27! He's not at the age where he's going to get 1 or 2 year deals. RvP is 29 and he got a 4 year deal on the same (or around the same) terms as what Rooney is on.

Our Steven has taken a certain liking for this thread in the past couple of weeks :D

He's just 27! He's not at the age where he's going to get 1 or 2 year deals. RvP is 29 and he got a 4 year deal on the same (or around the same) terms as what Rooney is on.

The reduced terms bit is more important to Wayne & his rep, I suspect. At best, I think he would be due to receive 'merely' the salary he's on now.

Our Steven has taken a certain liking for this thread in the past couple of weeks

:lol: I don't actually want Wayne sold; but I just don't believe he's going to be the Rooney of old though, so it's all moot, chief.

Nah, I'm not going to hate him if he decides to leave after 9 years of brilliant service and 197 goals.

Not if that world class player can still contribute to our success. And if he stays, he'll sign a new contract anyway imo so I don't see us losing him on a free at all.

No. In this hypothetical you sell the unhappy player and replace him with the best you can find.

This is a combination of it being contract time and the fact that he is no longer the main man. Both are earned on the pitch he has not been good enough this year you can keep telling us how many goals and assists he has (like we haven't been watching all year) but he has not be good enough that is a downward trend with Wayne that stretches back two seasons.

Yup I can't see him getting a pay hike but I don't think he'll get reduced wages either. He's not 33 ish that he'd be offered reduced wages on a short term contract.

This is a combination of it being contract time and the fact that he is no longer the main man. Both are earned on the pitch he has not been good enough this year you can keep telling us how many goals and assists he has (like we haven't been watching all year) but he has not be good enough that is a downward trend with Wayne that stretches back two seasons.

He scored 35 last season and no don't tell me stats don't give the entire story.

wr8 have you got the stats for the number of games he started in these various positions? I am pretty sure he played as a striker for the majority of season.

I can't believe the hate that is coming his way if he decides to quit. He has had a hard time at United constantly in the shadows of others. He prefers playing as a striker, and that is his only real world class position as the "second striker" is pretty dead tactically for the time being.

Was RVP really the signing we needed last year? I mean I can certainly feel Rooney's pain when he FINALLY got to be our leading, undropable striker and we choose to replace him with RVP and play him in random positions once more.

I brought up Rooney's happiness as a problem when we signed RVP and nobody seemed to realize how they could get in each others ways but here we are.

No. In this hypothetical you sell the unhappy player and replace him with the best you can find.

The ones good enough to replace him are either unavailable or unrealistic and I'd rather we keep our best players at a team we need some stability.

wr8 have you got the stats for the number of games he started in these various positions? I am pretty sure he played as a striker for the majority of season.

No I don't but I think all of us have seen that Rooney has been playing very deep this season as we have RvP playing the man up top.

He scored 35 last season and no don't tell me stats don't give the entire story.

His all round game has been declining even when he was banging in goals. This was a tough year for him injuries wise being played out of position but at no point did he look fully fit that is poor for a pro. He has lost that pace which I doubt is coming back now he is still a good player but he is not getting the utmost out of his ability like say a Ronaldo or Van Persie I still feel he is leaving something off the table. Just too sloppy and inconsistent for a player as talented as he is.

The ones good enough to replace him are either unavailable or unrealistic and I'd rather we keep our best players at a team we need some stability.

No I don't but I think all of us have seen that Rooney has been playing very deep this season as we have RvP playing the man up top.

Stability ? :lol: What kind of stability does Rooney offer right now?

Yup I can't see him getting a pay hike but I don't think he'll get reduced wages either. He's not 33 ish that he'd be offered reduced wages on a short term contract.

Rooney's on a similar downward spiral as Sneijder.

Status
Not open for further replies.