Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if you're including me in that or not but it's the fact that he's handed in a second bloody transfer request.

No, he hasn't. He suggested in a private conversation with his manager that perhaps he should leave the club. Just like dozens of others have in the past, and just like dozens more will in the future. It's only because it's Wayne Rooney that this massive circus has resulted.

This is something that seems to have been overlooked. All I'm reading on my twitter and hear from United fans is that he had a rubbish game but still managed a goal. He had pretty much no service and yet he had some very good touches and passes. Some of his quick and clever passes to release Walcott down the right were really good but Theo, predictably, messed it up.

I can't think of anything remotely decent from Rooney besides the deflected goal.

You hero worship Rooney.

He was easily England's best performer today. I'm a bit pleased that this performance will increase his price.

Sadly it could mean that instead of selling him, we offer him a new contract and cave to his demands again.

No, he hasn't. He suggested in a private conversation with his manager that perhaps he should leave the club.

You water it down so much.

"He has asked for a transfer" - Fergie

Not, “perhaps you know maybe I should leave the club gaffa.” He wants away.

No, he hasn't. He suggested in a private conversation with his manager that perhaps he should leave the club. Just like dozens of others have in the past, and just like dozens more will in the future. It's only because it's Wayne Rooney that this massive circus has resulted.

And you don't have an issue with him asking to leave? I don't get why he'd want to leave when we've given him what he wanted in terms of big name signings. It's what he wanted and now he's unhappy that he's not the star striker.

That's ridiculous really. People here don't have any special expectations of Rooney. The fact is that he's now requested a transfer move twice in the last 3 years. Even if ignore that, there's also the fact that he regularly returns from pre-season looking fat and then takes another month into the season to get ready.

He's asked Fergie in private about his future this time. It's not exactly putting in a request to leave. I don't blame him needing some reassurances about his future considering how much he's been switched about this year and how many times he gets subbed off when players who have played far worse continue to stay on the pitch. He needed some reassurances about his future.

And as for this whole looking fat thing, that's a load of rubbish really. He takes a couple of games to get into full sharpness but he's not fat or unfit. Ruud and Ronaldo asked for transfers multiple times too, where's the hate for them?

People are really harsh on Rooney ever since October 2010 and it really clouds their judgement.

Christ, I guess I'd forgotten why I'd given up on this thread. It's by far the most absurd nonsense in the long, shameful history of bollocks on the caf. Enjoy the summer you weird feckers.

Good goal. It did feel odd when he scored though. He played well. Held the ball up a couple of nice touches and passes to Walcott. He is best upfront.

He's asked Fergie in private about his future this time. It's not exactly putting in a request to leave. I don't blame him needing some reassurances about his future considering how much he's been switched about this year and how many times he gets subbed off when players who have played far worse continue to stay on the pitch. He needed some reassurances about his future.

And as for this whole looking fat thing, that's a load of rubbish really. He takes a couple of games to get into full sharpness but he's not fat or unfit. Ruud and Ronaldo asked for transfers multiple times too, where's the hate for them?

People are really harsh on Rooney ever since October 2010 and it really clouds their judgement.

Really?

Did you miss all the Fergie hints regarding his weight throughout his season?

Also if he hasn't asked for a transfer request then why hasn't he denied it, he went on to great pains to explain that he didn't remove Manchester United in his twitter bio.

I can't think of anything remotely decent from Rooney besides the deflected goal.

You hero worship Rooney.

The whole team was rubbish and yet Rooney did decently despite very limited service. He had some very smart touches and passes which seem to have been completely forgotten.

I think it's high time some of ours fans realized what a modern footballer is like and learn to be fine with it. I think we as fans are far too spoilt by the large abundance of loyal footballers that we've had at this club over the years. We're hardly going to have any players from now that love the club so much that they'd stay here a decade or more without once putting in a request or wanting to leave.

It's not about Rooney wanting to eave the club - that's his prerogative. The issue has been his below average performances and going through games half hearted.

He was poor despite his goal and assist. So unfit it's not even funny.

His goal saved him, otherwise he would have been slaughtered.
:lol:

So unfit he managed to get a goal and assist in the last 20 minutes after starting the game.. Not to mention the turn that should set him away and drew a free kick, his great control and touch to set up Milner's chance, and the great link up with Walcott.

The last 20 pages or so of this thread are an embarrassment.

It's not about Rooney wanting to eave the club - that's his prerogative. The issue has been his below average performances and going through games half hearted.

It is a shame. I think he is a little like van Persie in the sense that a change of club may do him the world of good.

If United accept £30m for him, I would not be disappointed.

Wonder who went and told the papers about this private conversation.

Below average? He was having a more than decent season until the last month or two. He scored a lot of crucial goals when RvP decided he wasn't going to score goals, he and RvP had a good partnership all season. The last month or so of performances where pretty the entire team was rubbish seems to have really really changed opinions on Rooney's seasons. He really hasn't had as bad a season as it's made out to be and this despite being injured a number of times and almost never playing up top.

He should not be looking for reassurances. If he plays well he would not be in such a situation. If anything the coaches were trying to give as much playing time, and different positions to get him back on track.

We forgave Rooney for 2010 but we did not forget this year has just brought back those feelings. The fact that he is less of a key player means fans are happy to tell him to do one. Ruud was a model pro on and off the pitch and Ronaldo gets the benefit of the doubt because he was so good but he carried himself worst than Rooney has this season in his last season here. He really was annoying to watch very smug and self serving. The only difference is he is a better player than Rooney so fans are more forgiving. Plus Madrid was his 'dream club'

Everyone within the club has said he asked for a transfer, yet some are still choosing to believe what a minority of reporters are saying in order to fit in with their opinion.

Rooney isn't the first or the last United player in the recent past or the near future who has questioned his future or asked/will ask for a transfer. Rio did his nonsense, Ronaldo flirted with Madrid forever, Ruud had a couple of transfer requests and Evra wanted to move as well. Rooney seems to be judged in a completely different way to the others though. He's not a United fan, he's not a Neville or Scholes who'll just happily stay here all his life so we need to stop expecting that from him or any of our other players.

Below average? He was having a more than decent season until the last month or two. He scored a lot of crucial goals when RvP decided he wasn't going to score goals, he and RvP had a good partnership all season. The last month or so of performances where pretty the entire team was rubbish seems to have really really changed opinions on Rooney's seasons. He really hasn't had as bad a season as it's made out to be and this despite being injured a number of times and almost never playing up top.

Going by his past high standards he was very average last season. Sir Alex was correct when he said Rooney on form would not get dropped, or subbed.

:lol:

So unfit he managed to get a goal and assist in the last 20 minutes after starting the game.. Not to mention the turn that should set him away and drew a free kick, his great control and touch to set up Milner's chance, and the great link up with Walcott.

The last 20 pages or so of this thread are an embarrassment.

It was a fantastic hit but the Brazil defense gave him a free run. And yes he was unfit like most of last season, and I'm actually glad he scored and assisted because his value has increased at the right time.

People defending him despite his selfishness and cuntishness towards the end of the season are the real embarassment. At first, he criticized the club for a lack of ambition we went on to win 2 PLsin 3 years and bought the best player in the league. Then he slaps in his second transfer request and reportedly wants to stay in England despite winning trophies and earning millions at the biggest club in the country. I'll never forget his antics against Chelsea at OT (and a number of games before) when he was taking the piss and I really hope he goes.

Going by his past high standards he was very average last season. Sir Alex was correct when he said Rooney on form would not get dropped, or subbed.

I can understand Rooney's frustration when players like Valencia who are monumentally shit all season don't get subbed off and he does. You're playing Rooney in central midfield and off the left and then expecting him to have great games and influence proceedings and that's unfair. Give him a good run of games up top playing closer to RvP. Imo, he really suffers the most due to our lack of a good quality CM to play alongside Carrick. If we had someone in midfield with Carrick, we wouldn't need Rooney playing so deep and he'd influence games more and he'd have easily gotten to around 20-25 goals. Play him further up top next year and with lesser injuries and I see no reason why he can't top his 17 goals this year.

People should just get over it. Rooney probably thought Sir Alex was going to sell him. Anyone that's watched us over the years, wouldn't be that surprised. The game vs Madrid at OT. We've seen it before with becks and we saw it before with Ruud.

People will say he was playing shite but the fact is, probably his best goal for us - the overhead vs city ...he wasn't great up until the goal. A great player can play crap and yet be decisive when it matters. Rooney's goal vs Fulham for example.

Until he's sold, we should back him because he's a manchester United player for 9/10 years. It's like Neville said. When you're at a club for so long, there will be ups and downs. Let's just have a bit of common sense, not take it so personal and enjoy the break.

It's ironic though. People talking about Loyalty, probably being the same ones who'd sell him without blinking. Make up your mind.

Yeah I'm a little surprised at the way people are defending him. At the end of the day, if Rooney's heart isn't at United then why should we have our heart in him staying? Fair enough if you really want him to stay, but don't belittle the opinions of others who have lost love for him.

I don't mind either way if he stays or goes but I won't lose any sleep over it.

It was a fantastic hit but the Brazil defense gave him a free run. And yes he was unfit like most of last season, and I'm actually glad he scored and assisted because his value has increased at the right time.

People defending him despite his selfishness and cuntishness towards the end of the season are the real embarassment. At first, he criticized the club for a lack of ambition we went on to win 2 PLsin 3 years and bought the best player in the league. Then he slaps in his second transfer request and reportedly wants to stay in England despite winning trophies and earning millions at the biggest club in the country. I'll never forget his antics against Chelsea at OT (and a number of games before) when he was taking the piss and I really hope he goes.

Erm, what?

People should just get over it. Rooney probably thought Sir Alex was going to sell him. Anyone that's watched us over the years, wouldn't be that surprised. The game vs Madrid at OT. We've seen it before we becks and we saw it before with Ruud.

People will say he was playing shite but the fact is, probably his best goal for us - the overhead vs city ...he wasn't great up until the goal. A great player can play crap and yet be decisive when it matters. Rooney's goal vs Fulham for example.

Until he's sold, we should back him because he's a manchester United player for 9/10 years. It's like Neville said. When you're at a club for so long, there will be ups and downs. Let's just have a bit of common sense, not take it so personal and enjoy the break.

It's ironic though. People talking about Loyalty, probably being the same ones who'd sell him without blinking. Make up your mind.

Good post

He should not be looking for reassurances. If he plays well he would not be in such a situation. If anything the coaches were trying to give as much playing time, and different positions to get him back on track.

It all started right after the norwich game - The kagawa hatrick where Wayne bags 2 assists and one screamer of a goal, finishes the match on a high. Then came the Real madrid match where he didn't start the game. One would think, after a brilliant second half at Norwich, it would warrant a start at quiet possibly the biggest game of the season. But fair play to Sir Alex as Welbeck did an incredible job that game.

From then on he either came on as a sub, was played out of position or was injured unfortunately. It is quite a tricky situation as Sir Alex is the one who constantly maintained that Wayne Rooney needs games in order to get back his form, but never really played him constantly this season. Rooney has had much rougher patches in his past seasons and United and Sir alex still chose to persevere with him then. Rooney whilst always being capable of putting on a footballing masterclass ( my fondest memory being one of the semi final legs vs Schalke) doesn't do it as often but what he is incredibly consistent is providing goals and assists - somewhat of a underrated concept in here in the course of a season. We might not be the most flamboyant side with Wayne Rooney in our side, but when he does play , beating Manchester United over a course of 90 minutes does become an incredibly hard task.

So a deflected goal and a wonder strike by chamberlain means rooney is too good to be sold again? :lol:

Well that's one way of looking at it, but the correct way to look at it is to look at his record........then think about it some more. You look at his performance and say he don't care probably, so he don't care about England then? I think people are being stupid about the whole thing. We've just won the league but rather then focus on positives, they're more interested having a grudge. What happens when he regains form next season?

-------------
His record for England is actually decent. Englands problems obvious. Aside from getting a nosebleed making more then 2 consecutive passes, they play too slow and lack quality (width)

I can understand Rooney's frustration when players like Valencia who are monumentally shit all season don't get subbed off and he does. You're playing Rooney in central midfield and off the left and then expecting him to have great games and influence proceedings and that's unfair. Give him a good run of games up top playing closer to RvP. Imo, he really suffers the most due to our lack of a good quality CM to play alongside Carrick. If we had someone in midfield with Carrick, we wouldn't need Rooney playing so deep and he'd influence games more and he'd have easily gotten to around 20-25 goals. Play him further up top next year and with lesser injuries and I see no reason why he can't top his 17 goals this year.

Why are you comparing other players with Rooney in your posts?

Funny how RvP and the team hasn't suffered playing with sub-standard midifelders. He's also been average for England for a number of years. I suppose that's also due to their rubbish midfield?

So a deflected goal and a wonder strike by chamberlain means rooney is too good to be sold again? :lol:

If he wasn't constantly asking to leave he would be too good to be sold because he is a fantastic footballer who has been one of our most influential players for the last 8/9 years & will only just be entering his peak years. Unfortunately Rooney been a bit of a tit has put us in a position where we have to sell him but certainly won't be selling him because he ain't good enough.

We might not be the most flamboyant side with Wayne Rooney in our side, but when he does play , beating Manchester United over a course of 90 minutes does become an incredibly hard task.

IIRC percentage rates for points won were better without Rooney in the side last season.

Why are you comparing other players with Rooney in your posts?

Funny how RvP and the team hasn't suffered playing with sub-standard midifelders. He's also been average for England for a number of years. I suppose that's also due to their rubbish midfield?

RvP isn't the one who has had to play deeper due to a general lack of midfielders in our squad though. Put Rooney in the position RvP has played this season and he'd have 25-30 goals too like last season.

RvP isn't the one who has had to play deeper due to a general lack of midfielders in our squad though. Put Rooney in the position RvP has played this season and he'd have 25-30 goals too like last season.

I honestly think he would have more.

IIRC percentage rates for points won were better without Rooney in the side last season.

No

BLIlYgtCUAAe5p8.jpg:large

In just 2 of his 9 seasons have we had a better win percentage without Rooney than with him.

People should just get over it. Rooney probably thought Sir Alex was going to sell him. Anyone that's watched us over the years, wouldn't be that surprised. The game vs Madrid at OT. We've seen it before with becks and we saw it before with Ruud.

It all started right after the norwich game - The kagawa hatrick where Wayne bags 2 assists and one screamer of a goal, finishes the match on a high. Then came the Real madrid match where he didn't start the game. One would think, after a brilliant second half at Norwich, it would warrant a start at quiet possibly the biggest game of the season. But fair play to Sir Alex as Welbeck did an incredible job that game.

From then on he either came on as a sub, was played out of position or was injured unfortunately. It is quite a tricky situation as Sir Alex is the one who constantly maintained that Wayne Rooney needs games in order to get back his form, but never really played him constantly this season. Rooney has had much rougher patches in his past seasons and United and Sir alex still chose to persevere with him then. Rooney whilst always being capable of putting on a footballing masterclass ( my fondest memory being one of the semi final legs vs Schalke) doesn't do it as often but what he is incredibly consistent is providing goals and assists - somewhat of a underrated concept in here in the course of a season. We might not be the most flamboyant side with Wayne Rooney in our side, but when he does play , beating Manchester United over a course of 90 minutes does become an incredibly hard task.

Two good posts. I disagree that he thought he was going to be sold he would have let things play out if that was what he thought. He was unhappy with how he was being treated and so went to the manager. The problem is almost every player has had a run in with Fergie and bar Beckham they have put their head down and got on with the job and done their talking on the pitch. If not that they have left the club. Rooney did it in 2010 and whatever the story may be has kicked up some kind of fuss 3 years later.

I agree until something is sorted out it is poor form to forget his 10 years here. He has been a great servant on the pitch. I few fans myself included don't forgive him for not fulfilling his full potential and when his application and work ethic are looking questionable again it seems like more of the same and from a senior player no less. I personally am undecided and will wait to see what happens the club will be fine with or without Rooney. But this is the second time he has been a distraction and fans should be expected to be unhappy. Though some are being harsh.

Also I agree he is a player who is decisive when it comes to goals and assists over a season. In a down season he has still put in some match winning performances. But the overall standard of his play has not been good enough. Fans want to see him re-dedicate himself to being the best player he can be.

Well that's one way of looking at it, but the correct way to look at it is to look at his record........then think about it some more. You look at his performance and say he don't care probably, so he don't care about England then? I think people are being stupid about the whole thing. We've just won the league but rather then focus on positives, they're more interested having a grudge. What happens when he regains form next season?

-------------
His record for England is actually decent. Englands problems obvious. Aside from getting a nosebleed making more then 2 consecutive passes, they play too slow and lack quality (width)

The correct way to look at is that he has asked to be sold TWICE now and has lost his place in the team to a superior footballer with a better ethic. If he had just destroyed brazil then you can excuse the likes of wr8 and chabon who are just looking for an excuse to say rooney shouldnt be sold.

If he wants to go let him go, his place in the team will be replaced and it wont damage us that much.

If he wasn't constantly asking to leave he would be too good to be sold because he is a fantastic footballer who has been one of our most influential players for the last 8/9 years & will only just be entering his peak years. Unfortunately Rooney been a bit of a tit has put us in a position where we have to sell him but certainly won't be selling him because he ain't good enough.

If he got his appetite, and form back, looked after his body and wants to play for the club I don't think many fans would have an issue if he stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.