Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lampard, Cole, Cahill, the Chelsea lobby will have had Rooney's ear during the international break so i expect that rumour to resurface shortly. Selling him the certainty of Fergie's mate Jose over the unknown of Moyes or something like that.

'Alan Nixon, one of football's most prolific reporters, has severed his links with the Independent following an argument over an alleged conflict of interest involving Wayne Rooney's agent.':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/sep/03/theindependent.pressandpublishing

I know, which is why it was pretty obvious where his story in last Sunday's paper about Madrid wanting Rooney, came from. It's pretty clear imo that Rooney and his agent were expecting teams to make a mad dash for him, it aint happening.

Agents are cnuts.

Think there's some decent points in there, and I was saying pretty much the same yesterday. Like I said, if Robin Van Persie wasn't at this football club, Wayne Rooney would be considered in a different light. Don't get me wrong, Van Persie has been absolutely sensational for us this season and you could argue that he has been the main difference between the Manchester United this season, and the Manchester United of last season, but that doesn't mean we should just forget about him. Like you say, I understand why certain people are frustrated. Of course I do. He hasn't had a great season, but he has still showed signs of what he is capable of, and we have missed him at times when he hasn't been in the side.

Look at the start of the season. We got off to a poor start and he came in and helped turn it around for us. He's had a couple of injury problems this year, but when he has played for a consistent period he has played quite well for me. Not fantastically, but he has played well enough, and has shown signs of what he is capable of. My message to Wayne Rooney would be to surround yourself with the right people, and speak to those people about this. The likes of Giggs and Scholes etc... . You don't play for Manchester United or any big club for that matter without going through tough periods mentally, but those top, top players are capable of pushing on from that, and using them to take themselves to the next level.

You don't play for a club like United without an 'ego'. You won't succeed at this level if you don't. Being left out of Champions League games at Old Trafford against Madrid will have hurt him, and mentally he doesn't seem to be strong enough to deal with that. That's his problem. Mentally. Looking away seems to be the only way he can deal with that.

For me though, he is a quality player who I want at this club. Mentally he struggles which is why the senior players at the club and David Moyes need to go over to him and have a word with him. That confidence, the sort that can only be installed by the manager is what makes Wayne Rooney tick, and when he does, their aren't to many better for me.

Since you ignored it the first time ill say it again, Rooney IS one of the senior players, he has been in the first team at united for nine years and is in his late twenties. He doesn't need an arm around him, he is supposed to be a grown man not a little pansy. He is a petulant little prima Donna and if he stays will pull exactly the same shit next time he is dropped, which is going to happen more and more as he gets older. Also as he gets older the chances are he will get more injuries, which equals more shit performances as he finds form, and we will have a player who spends more games per season injured and then looking for form than actually IN form. He needs to go NOW.

Since you ignored it the first time ill say it again, Rooney IS one of the senior players, he has been in the first team at united for nine years and is in his late twenties. He doesn't need an arm around him, he is supposed to be a grown man not a little pansy. He is a petulant little prima Donna and if he stays will pull exactly the same shit next time he is dropped, which is going to happen more and more as he gets older. Also as he gets older the chances are he will get more injuries, which equals more shit performances as he finds form, and we will have a player who spends more games per season injured and then looking for form than actually IN form. He needs to go NOW.

Senior player in what capacity? He has never been the most mature, weather that be in a footballing capacity, or an off-field capacity. Age doesn't naturally mean that someone is mentally strong, and the pressure that he is under week in, week out adds to that. Wayne Rooney's main problem is that he allows critisism and setbacks to knock him down rather than push him forward, and that's the reason why he isn't considered to be in that 'top brand' of players. That adds to consistency. Players like Ryan Giggs for example, Gary Neville - they took plenty of criticism for their actions throughout their careers, and in Giggsy's case he still does to come extent, but it's their ability push through that and prove people wrong that made them great players. The same goes for Rio Ferdinand. These players are mentally strong but ultimately, they no what it takes to go out there and prove people like yourself, and people who have that negative opinion wrong.

As for the future Wayne Rooney, I'm not so sure. What he does have is vision, and if you have that, you don't lose it. You can lose pace, you can lose stamina, but you can't lose the ability to read a game. You can't lose the ability to see a pass, and he has shown time and time again that he can execute those passes. Look at Van Persie's goal against Villa last season. How many players in the Premier League could have made that pass? A handful. If that. Physically, he won't play as long as others, but he is more than capable of moving into a deeper midfield role. Granted, he has a lot to learn, but he is capable of doing it, and he has shown that.

What I want to stress though is that if he does stay, I want us all to get behind him. If he leaves, do what you like, but if he remains as a Manchester United player, lets treat him like one, and back him 100%. He is a Manchester United player, and while he is, he needs to be treated like one.

C - (A x Y)^X

Interestingly, this equation also provides the answer to the questions "how many roads must a man walk down?" and "how many calories are in a sandwich?"

Funny, but where is the equation? ;-)

Must admit I hated those comments Rooney made about Moyes. I remember saying so on the caf a few years ago and getting shot down for it.

When will this be sorted, I don't even read this thread any more. It's gotten very tedious. What are youse even discussing?

I've been wondering that myself, Randall.

This thread has grown 136 pages since 8 May, what the feck is everyone talking about?

The last major point of debate was likely that of whether we should sell to Chelsea and if so under what circumstances or terms such should come about.

The thread has been running on fumes for a little while, even the Daily Mirror has become bored and walked off by now i think.

Bryan Robson:

"There was a bit of a problem towards the end of the season between Wayne and Sir Alex Ferguson but I hope he sees sense," he told Sky Sports News.

"There is no better club to be at than Manchester United and if David Moyes says he wants him to stay I would love him to, because he is a great player.

"He is a real asset to the club and I'd like to see him play here for many more years."

I reckon he'd ruin himself within 2 seasons of moving to a club which doesnt have the kind of atmosphere that United does (i.e one having revolving managerial door, unreal player power, owner influences etc).

Wayne Rooney has not signed for PSG. Not yet. But it could come. Anyway, Paris is the means to draw Manchester United striker. This Sunday, Le Parisien confirms the information published on the eve in the English press: PSG had offered an astronomical salary Rooney. We're talking about 1.4 million per month for four years. Much more than his emoluments Mancunian: former striker's Everton affects some 250,000 euros per week for the Red Devils. His contract with MU, where he just completed his ninth season, until 2015. But, writes Le Parisien, "England international is aware that the end of history with the Mancunian club is near."

Rooney out of an average season, punctuated by 12 goals in 27 Premier League games. At Old Trafford, it is now overshadowed by Robin van Persie. Suddenly, he seriously thought about leaving Manchester. Rooney would prefer to stay in England to raise his second son, born two weeks ago. Chelsea and Newcastle are on the lookout. But Paris has made ​​"a priority," insists L'Equipe. So that, according to Le Parisien, the Qatari leaders have already put 20 million euros on the table. Offer rejected by their Mancunian counterparts, which require at least 15 more and seek a replacement first before accelerating negotiations.

(Mercato)

LUHG10.jpg

lolwut?

I reckon he'd ruin himself within 2 seasons of moving to a club which doesnt have the kind of atmosphere that United does (i.e one having revolving managerial door, unreal player power, owner influences etc).

:smirk: Oh i don't know, i think Wayne could get used to such an environment if called upon.

They say in France that the negotiations have really started for Rooney's signature by PSG.Of all the clubs he could go to, this is the best, it would be outside England and PSG have a lot of money

I honestly think Rooney will stay put. All credible quotes/reports have told us the following:

- Rooney was frustrated at being marginalised; he made these feelings known to Fergie.
- Rooney's people insist this wasn't a transfer request.
- Moyes and Rooney now enjoy cordial relations.
- United's top brass insist no sale.

On top of this, we can apply some educated conjecture:

- Rooney likes living in the north west because it's close to his family.
- Rooney's not a particularly cosmopolitan person - does his face fit in London/Paris?
- He's like an oversized baby who is prone to emotional outbursts; i.e. he needs reassurance.

Furthermore, without getting into a tiring, circular debate:

- He's a top player, who scores and makes goals at an excellent rate.
- He's a player who provides real cohesion to our play.

With all this in mind:

- Why would he want to leave?
- Why would we want to strengthen a rival, when, deep down, he doesn't even want to leave?
- Moyes will get hold of him, and I believe he'll stay.

I honestly think Rooney will stay put. All credible quotes/reports have told us the following:

- Rooney was frustrated at being marginalised; he made these feelings known to Fergie.

On top of this, we can apply some educated conjecture:

- Rooney likes living in the north west because it's close to his family.
- Rooney's not a particularly cosmopolitan person - does his face fit in London/Paris?
- He's like an oversized baby who is prone to emotional outbursts; i.e. he needs reassurance.

Furthermore, without getting into a tiring, circular debate:

- He's a top player, who scores and makes goals at an excellent rate.
- He's a player who provides real cohesion to our play.

With all this in mind:

- Why would we want to strengthen a rival, when, deep down, he doesn't even want to leave?

I agree with this. Too much is being made of very little in this thread. Dragging up articles from his old autobiography or from Brian Reade in 2006 shows there is little in the way of relevant news at the moment.

If Moyes feels he has no choice but to sell him or Rooney is causing problems behind the scenes, then fair enough, but that's not the way I read his quotes on Rooney which appeared the weekend after the season ended or the way Gary Neville backed him the same weekend.

2-3 years left at the top at 29? Maybe for Walcott, but surely not Rooney. He'll play at the top until 35 if he wants to and doesn't suffer too many injuries.

Dunno, I don't see him being hungry now, let alone after 2-3 years. Also having teams like Monaco, PSG, Anzhi and the others ready to spend shitload of money for image footballers I can see him going to a lesser league for 400k a week like Eto'o and Ibrahimovic. Monaco and Paris are nice cities to spend 2-3 years and pocket 20-30m yearly with the pressure off.

Rooney won it all and sure he can play deep in his 30's if he's the professional Scholes and Giggs ar, he has the qualities, however I can't see him being in from the same breed...

I think Rooney coming out and stating that it was not a transfer request, and that he wants to stay would mean a big thing. Fans are fickle and not knowing what's happening certainly puts him in the bad books, but if he states he never wanted to leave, I think the majority will let it blow over.

Him staying quiet though is not helpful, perhaps he did fall out with fergie, but now that he has gone he cannot use that as an excuse.

I'm not one of those people who hates Rooney - not at all - nor do I definitely want him sold but I'm at the point where I fail to see how some fans can defend his actions. Certainly, he's traditionally brought a lot to the team & has contributed greatly to our success - stats & sheer common sense show this; but is success all that matters when it comes to our love of United? We are talking about someone who questioned the judgement of a manager who gave us incredible success; we are talking about someone who described our new manager as 'ignorant and incompetent'; and yet some roll out Wayne's scoring-record & crass justifications of his disrespectful behaviour like "he's given us nine years of service!" This is as nothing in comparison to the service SAF gave us...

It's a matter of record - court record, in fact - that he is badly-advised, and even that is a rather weak excuse. By his own words to John O'Shea & his team-mates, Wayne admitted that his previous contract standoff was all about money. Recently, his actions suggested that he cares more about his Nike profile than the club which employs him (would it hurt him to tweet a line or two thanking the fans/saying he wants to stay/celebrating our League success? No, it wouldn't, and these things wouldn't affect his contract negotiations either). And what was his 'shy' performance during our title celebrations and parade all about? If you think he was just feeling depressed then you might well be as naive as Team Rooney considers you. Can we 'look forward' to Wayne doling out the old lies again ("I never really wanted to leave"/"I'd never go to City"/"What was I thinking?" etc).

And now, again, Wayne acts up during a crucial period for Manchester United...and yet some fans are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt & believe that this latest row is about playing positions etc etc. I find those reasons difficult to credit, given not only Wayne's history but the appalling business record of his agent. More saliently, Moyes must've had the forgiving nature of a saint to rebuild bridges with Wayne, considering Rooney's comments about him in books & elsewhere; "ignorant and incompetent" are the least sinister of those...I hope that Moyes, as well as Wayne's defenders, puts the club first in future. Hopefully Rooney - who's proven himself able in the past to act selflessly for the team - will also allow the club's concerns to again be important to him.

- That is an interpretation which quite fails to recognise any just cause on the part of the manager.
- Since when were Rooney's people credible?
- Nice to have but relevant in the grand scheme of things? Not necessarily.
- They are unlikely to do otherwise at least publicly, with their negotiating position in mind.

With all this in mind:

- Because he feels that he is being marginalised. Or requires a new challenge for this his last big contract.
- Yes this could be a consequence although no doubt United would be hoping to strengthen themselves in the long run. Ultimately it isn't only about what Rooney wishes for himself.
- He'll be awfully tired if he does that until midnight on August 31st.

Your whole post is full of great points but this one hits the the spot, I think.

I remember once, he needed Fergie to reassure him that we will still sign world class players and not long after that he was welcoming his new team mates on training grounds - Shinji Kagawa & Robin van Persie.

On the pitch he looks confident, sometimes even too cocky but outside Old Trafford his insecurity levels are insanely high and it shows, almost every year.

He'll definitely need a serious reassurance from the new boss, absolutely no doubts about that.

Many things are now in hands of David Moyes. His very first decisions in the club will be crucial.

- That is an interpretation which quite fails to recognise any just cause on the part of the manager.
- Since when were Rooney's people credible?
- Nice to have but relevant in the grand scheme of things? Not necessarily.
- They are unlikely to do otherwise at least publicly, with their negotiating position in mind.

- Because he feels that he is being marginalised. Or requires a new challenge for this his last big contract.
- That could be a consequence although no doubt United would be hoping to strengthen themselves in the process. Ultimately it isn't only about what Rooney wishes for himself.
- He'll be awfully tired if he does that until midnight on August 31st.

- I'm not saying SAF was wrong to marginalise Rooney in light of RvP's form, but I can understand why Rooney got pissy about it. Rooney, like any top player, has an ego, and it'll have been battered by being dropped against RM, etc.
- Granted. But SAF's interview after Swansea made it seem as though this was frustration at not being in the team, as opposed to angling for vastly improved contract terms. I genuinely don't believe, based on what Fergie said, that this is about money. SAF had no reason to protect Rooney; if this was about cash, SAF would've hung him out to dry, IMO.
- I'd say the incoming manager and Rooney having a good relationship is imperative if we have aspirations of keeping him here.
- Again, I see your point, but this has been a concerted approach from various figures: Gill, Neville, Robson, etc. Everything I've heard from these sorts of figures makes me think he can be talked around, and that the club do want to retain him.

On your last trio of points: as I said, he doesn't strike me as being the sort of person who wants too extreme a change of scenery; I think that limits his options if he does want a move (which I don't think he truly does). Going back to my point in the previous paragraph, if we do want to get rid, then I don't see why we're using mouthpieces like Neville and Robson to give such staunch arguments to him for staying.

The key is, people are all too quick to forget what Rooney is capable of bringing to the table. Even in an average season this time, he's been productive beyond what 90% of attackers in the league are capable of.

Modern football seems to be all about buying/selling players to remedy any problems. Why not try to build bridges and make the player happy? Get his head in the right place and reap the rewards of a player entering his peak, I say.

I've been wondering that myself, Randall.

This thread has grown 136 pages since 8 May, what the feck is everyone talking about?

Seems like its just people repeating their thoughts about him leaving / staying over and over in fear that its lost 20 pages ago.

I think I have posted 3 times or something myself since the transfer request and every time its been more or less the same.. "I hope he goes, he wont respect Moyes and their relationship will cause dressing room issues.".

I think Rooney coming out and stating that it was not a transfer request, and that he wants to stay would mean a big thing. Fans are fickle and not knowing what's happening certainly puts him in the bad books, but if he states he never wanted to leave, I think the majority will let it blow over.

Him staying quiet though is not helpful, perhaps he did fall out with fergie, but now that he has gone he cannot use that as an excuse.

If he's negotiating or trying too the last thing he's going to do is come out and say something which could effect his position. Thats the reason he says nothing, it didn't go to well last tie he did his negotiating in public.

Anyway on to Rooney, we should try our best to hold onto him, we should not be selling our best players it sends out a bad message about were we are as a football club. The best for all concerned would be Rooney signing a new deal.

Best player in our squad?? Maybe two years ago. Today. Not a chance in hell.

RvP, Carrick, Rio and DDG where all better this season. Others raised their standard whenever Fergie asked for their service and worked their socks off to prove their worth.

The only player in our squad who in some games dragged his fit after himself where the holy Wayne. The only player who wasn't up to it was our best paid player. The only one who hand in a transfer request when he was left on the bench was the same guy who questioned our clubs ambitions three years ago.

I'm tired of his excuses. I'm tired of his childish behaviour. I'm tired of his so called advisers talking bollocks every time they opened their mouth. I'm tired of his fecking tweets telling the world feck nothing.

But most of all I'm tired of a young wealthy man who can live in luxary for the rest of his life complains because the worlds most successful manager thinks he needs to improve before getting games. How hard can it be to show some bloody commitment and loyalty to the man who gave him the opportunity to play for the most famous club in the world.

feck off to spoiled footballers who lack intelligent's to behave normal. Buying my sons and daughters a replica with Rooney on the back? You must be fecking kidding me Nike.

A couple of weeks ago, I desperately wanted all this to blow over and for Rooney to turn around and say he wants to stay. (For some reason, I voted for "Thank him for his services but send him on his way for the good of the team" in Brwned's poll - must have done it accidently on my phone).

Now - I'm not sure. I guess I'd still prefer it if he stayed, but if he went I wouldn't really care that much. I guess I just don't care what happens now to him - as long as he doesn't join Chelsea/City, I'll be content whatever occurs.

He's built a nice partnership with RVP in a season which has not been his best, despite pulling off some good number of goals and assists. We should want the players of his level to stay.

With that being said, Hernandez and Kagawa deserves more chances and the only way they are going to get them is if Rooney isn't in the way. Is it better for the good of the team if Rooney goes? That's debatable. Many former players have stated that they hoped Rooney to stay.

I just want this to end. This thread pops up constantly, and all it has is people repeating what has been said in the dozens of pages previously. I kind of want to read something fresh in here like an update or something. We're in the same place as we were a week or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.