Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to see him go to PSG as for 35m it would make financial sense, considering wages too.

But only if that is reinvested into Bale at all costs, e.g 60m which would surely get him and is worth it considering his age. It's 2013, not 2003 prices.

Happy enough if Rooney stays though too.

Would rather see the back of Anderson, Valencia and/or Young.

@OGKush
I disagree with your point about bottom level. For e.g Mata had a poor game against us in the FA Cup the 1-0 win for Chelsea but he still manged to get an assist and contribute to his team winning same thing against Benfica you are not at your best but you still help the team. Rooney is consistently a hindrance when he is at his bottom level, when Rooney's game is off his struggles to do the basics, control the ball, pass it 5 yards etc. he looks awful and tends to break down attacks instead of sticking to what he is good at he tries to do too much and he over thinks things.

You don't watch every Chelsea match though. Chances are Mata has had games this season where he's been poor and made no impact. A Chelsea fan might watch United 4 Norwich 0 and think Rooney can have a poor game and still score a cracker and set up 2 goals.

Wayne has gone backwards since 2010 when he should be flying. This is the guy who was destined for greatness but he'll just be remembered as a very good player now which is a shame because he had the world at his feet. Take his attitude against Chelsea, it was disgusting and rarely seen at United before. He just doesn't care anymore and needs to go to get his career back on track. Personally, I hope he leaves the club as soon as possible.

He only actually looks so shit because he has the ball a lot, some brilliant stuff there.

I don't think he's far off the truth, Rooney is at his best when he's playing on instinct.

You don't watch every Chelsea match though. Chances are Mata has had games this season where he's been poor and made no impact. A Chelsea fan might watch United 4 Norwich 0 and think Rooney can have a poor game and still score a cracker and set up 2 goals.

I guess so but that is an assumption Rooney I have actually watched and of the two Mata has been far more consistent in his time here that is two years now. He has been Chelsea's best player this year and last. Mata was one example even in comparison to Van Persie, Ronaldo, Messi the top players who he should be among none are as bad as Rooney on a bad day.

Your referring to the game against Norwich that was shaping up to be a poor game he was poor in the first half in a deeper role but once Van Persie came off and he went into number 9 he was much better he can get away with it up there but he won't get to play that role much while Van Persie is here.

Rooney is not as rated anymore from what I am reading anyway.

We have a knew man coming in to replace possibly the greatest manager of all time, and we have lost coaching staff who know what it takes to be winners. That winning mentality needs to be brought out by the players now, and Wayne Rooney is just that. A winner.

Good post generally, I think this is a particularly important point tho. We've lost a winner in SAF. Rooney is a winner. We need to keep that experience and winning mentality at the club. Too much change all at once is destabilising.

I think you will find the word is Whiner.....Every single time.......how does missing two games because "He didn't feel like playing" giving 100%? How about not being ready until about September despite playing in a league that begins in august for almost a decade? Or not being able to get fit without a mid season USA break?

Apart from the deluded claim that the supporters are somehow to blame for his regular and repeated losses of form you wonder why he gets slated when he doesn't deliver? Lets revisit shall we? He threatened to leave the club unless getting what he wants, whether that was a massive new contract or new players depends on what you believe, If A: It shows him for the money grabbing classless cnut he is by publicly questioning the ambition and quality of a SAF side purely for money.
If B: He wanted the quality of the team improved that suggests he thinks he is a cut above the existing players, and if you are going to come out with that kind of arrogant crap you damn well better be putting in the performances and SURE AS feck better not have another tantrum because the players that came in.......that you asked for... are performing better than you resulting in you getting benched.

Really agree with this.

Where I sit, you'll often hear critcism of Rooney, that you wouldn't have heard before his previous strop. A significant number forgave him before, and a significant number didn't. I haven't sung his name since.

There were a few boos at the parade, not a lot, but if he does stay, and he puts in some of those poor performances, he will get pilloried.
Is that what anybody wants to see? A former talisman hounded out from the stands.

Time to go, before it gets nasty.

I genuinely believe all he really needs is a serious kick up the arse in regards to his fitness, none of this 'body type' rubbish, he is only in his mid to late 20s and needs to stop anything that makes him so lethargic and seemingly lacking in energy. He can play as a number 10 fantastically as he showed for the majority of the 10/11 season after his awful start, it's worth noting actually that he was much much worse at the start of that season than he has been at any time this year.

One point perhaps worth mentioning is that Moyes might use Rooney differently than Fergie did. If Moyes wants Rooney to stay - and he does stay - we might see him used purely up front. That's not unthinkable. Moyes may prefer a set-up in which RVP and Rooney both play up front against weaker teams - and a lone striker set-up in harder games, where the two of them will compete for the sole spot.

For instance. Point is, the rotation we saw last season - in which RVP was virtually undroppable and Rooney featured almost exclusively in a deeper role - means nothing now. Moyes won't set up exactly as Fergie did.

@OGKush
I disagree with your point about bottom level. For e.g Mata had a poor game against us in the FA Cup the 1-0 win for Chelsea but he still manged to get an assist and contribute to his team winning same thing against Benfica you are not at your best but you still help the team. Rooney is consistently a hindrance when he is at his bottom level, when Rooney's game is off his struggles to do the basics, control the ball, pass it 5 yards etc. he looks awful and tends to break down attacks instead of sticking to what he is good at he tries to do too much and he over thinks things.

This is rubbish. There have been a few times this season alone where Rooney (and the team in general) didn't play particularly well and he popped up with important goals and assists. That's actually one of his strengths in that even when he isn't having the best game he doesn't hide and is still able to contributes to the outcome.

People want Rooney sold so they're rewriting reality to prove their point.

One point perhaps worth mentioning is that Moyes might use Rooney differently than Fergie did. If Moyes wants Rooney to stay - and he does stay - we might see him used purely up front. That's not unthinkable. Moyes may prefer a set-up in which RVP and Rooney both play up front against weaker teams - and a lone striker set-up in harder games, where the two of them will compete for the sole spot.

For instance. Point is, the rotation we saw last season - in which RVP was virtually undroppable and Rooney featured almost exclusively in a deeper role - means nothing now. Moyes won't set up exactly as Fergie did.

I cling to this point as the main source of hope he'll stay.

Rooney and Nani are slated for having poor seasons when they have been injured for large periods.

This place is fecking madness at times. Rooney and Nani have proved they are match winners and the stats and performances prove this.

When Ronaldo left, these players were instrumental in keeping us challenging for trophies.

Sure they aren't perfect and in Rooney's case, well he's thick as feck and has a greedy agent and bad pr people.

People are over-analyzing waay waay too much. With Rooney, United is better off. Having Rooney, RVP, Chicharito and Welbeck means we have the best strikeforce around bar none.

Rooney and RVP literally gaurantees goals. Our midfield doesn't even have to be great for them to score. Hell, they don't even have to have to greatest seasons and they will score.

I don't want to be in David Moyes shoes regarding making a decision about Rooney's future. He's in a lose and lose situation and he haven't even started his job at United. If he keep him he looks weak and without principles. If he let him go and don't find a world class replacement he will be critrizised for that, especially if we start the season with poor results.

More or less everybody with experience and knowledge about management would advice him to get rid of Rooney. Never let a individual be more important then the group, especially when you're new as a executive manager and replace such a huge authority as Sir Alex.

The downside for Moyes is that he must find a worthy replacement directly after he has sold Rooney, otherwise the press and the supporters will eat him alive. Bale will cost a fortune if he's available, Cesc is probably not for sale and then the problems starts.

Keeping him would send out totally wrong signals, both inside and outside the club. What happenes if Rooney continue to demand a transfer? If his decline continue another season? If he demands a longer contract with the same salary. Should Moyes and the club reward players who demands a transfer? What should he say to the other players who are in contract negotiations?

Moyes face a night mare if this goes on the whole summer. Let's say he decides to keep him and reward him with a two year extension. Imagine the storm of questions around this decision. Imagine the first meeting with the players and the staff. Hmmm...Rooney will stay...hmmm with a two year contract extension, any questions???

The best scenario would be to sell him to either PSG or Monaco and the week after present Gareth Bale. This will probabaly not happen but if we want the best for the club then starts to pray.

I don't want to be in David Moyes shoes regarding making a decision about Rooney's future. He's in a lose and lose situation and he haven't even started his job at United. If he keep him he looks weak and without principles.

How on earth would Moyes look weak and without principles if we keep Rooney?.

I don't want to be in David Moyes shoes regarding making a decision about Rooney's future. He's in a lose and lose situation and he haven't even started his job at United. If he keep him he looks weak and without principles. If he let him go and don't find a world class replacement he will be critrizised for that, especially if we start the season with poor results.

I actually think SAF has left Moyes in a win-win situation, and the cynic in me thinks that's why SAF spoke out about Rooney asking for a transfer. If Moyes sells Rooney, a large section of the fans have already turned on Rooney so won't blame Moyes for his departure (he also gives his old club a parting gift from the sale). On the other hand if Rooney stays and kicks on next season Moyes is credited with turning things around. I don't see how he loses.

Might be simplistic, but I don't discount Moyes telling Rooney exactly the above situation. This may have been Rooney's overall concern anyway, so would be a simple solution.

Who knows what is really going on behind the scenes though.

I actually think SAF has left Moyes in a win-win situation, and the cynic in me thinks that's why SAF spoke out about Rooney asking for a transfer. If Moyes sells Rooney, a large section of the fans have already turned on Rooney so won't blame Moyes for his departure (he also gives his old club a parting gift from the sale). On the other hand if Rooney stays and kicks on next season Moyes is credited with turning things around. I don't see how he loses.

What if Rooney stays, but doesn't "kick on"?

The word is transfer request but don't worry. It will be a problem that you never have to face.

Players put in transfer requests for a variety of reasons. You still havent explained how that would affect Moyes principles etc?.
BTW the transfer request was made to SAF and not to Moyes, it was made before Moyes was appointed.

This is rubbish. There have been a few times this season alone where Rooney (and the team in general) didn't play particularly well and he popped up with important goals and assists. That's actually one of his strengths in that even when he isn't having the best game he doesn't hide and is still able to contributes to the outcome.

:lol:
I don't need to make things up it is all there. He has won us matches this season if you look I have previous posts acknowledging that I am also one of the people who says if he wants puts his head down and works hard he should stay. I have nothing against him he still plays for us despite peoples feelings and I can see where he is coming from. Rooney does have a low bottom level the point you made about winning matches is true but it doesn't actually have anything to do with the point I made.

Players put in transfer requests for a variety of reasons. You still havent explained how that would affect Moyes principles etc?.
BTW the transfer request was made to SAF and not to Moyes, it was made before Moyes was appointed.
It's a confirmed request by the old man himself. The second one btw. Either Rooney's camp officially withdraw the request and apologies for his childish actions or they keep hold on to the players initial request.

Moyes can't start his time at United by promising one player privileges other players don't have. Going in to pre season knowing your star payer wants to move on is not the best start. Imagine his first press conference.

This club have principles. Sir Alex never let players, no matter how good they where, to dictate his managing. Should Moyes starts to do differently in your opinion? What's next. Ando demanding pizza before kick off otherwise he wouldn't play?

It's a confirmed request by the old man himself. The second one btw. Either Rooney's camp officially withdraw the request and apologies for his childish actions or they keep hold on to the players initial request.

Moyes can't start his time at United by promising one player privileges other players don't have. Going in to pre season knowing your star payer wants to move on is not the best start. Imagine his first press conference.

This club have principles. Sir Alex never let players, no matter how good they where, to dictate his managing. Should Moyes starts to do differently in your opinion? What's next. Ando demanding pizza before kick off otherwise he wouldn't play?

Moyes wasnt in charge when Rooney made the request. Moyes is in the position of starting with a clean slate, if he is able to convince Rooney to stay then thats a good thing and I just dont see how that weakens Moyes or goes against his principles as you stated it would. It will be a simple case of a new manager coming in and resolving an issue that was in place before he started.
What would Moyes be doing differently if he has a resolved an issue that wasnt of his making?

SAF talked Rooney out of leaving last time, when that happened did SAF go against any principles?. No, he resolved an issue.

Moyes didnt create this issue, it was in place before he started. If he is able to resolve the issue then thats a big plus for Moyes. What actual principle of Moyes has been weakened if he resolves a previously existing issue?.

I guess so but that is an assumption Rooney I have actually watched and of the two Mata has been far more consistent in his time here that is two years now. He has been Chelsea's best player this year and last. Mata was one example even in comparison to Van Persie, Ronaldo, Messi the top players who he should be among none are as bad as Rooney on a bad day.

Your referring to the game against Norwich that was shaping up to be a poor game he was poor in the first half in a deeper role but once Van Persie came off and he went into number 9 he was much better he can get away with it up there but he won't get to play that role much while Van Persie is here.

Rooney is not as rated anymore from what I am reading anyway.

Agree to disagree but this happens all the time - supporters of one club are a lot harsher as critics on their own players because they watch all their games all in full. The fact is you're using a 2 year window to judge Mata when you haven't watched him with the same detail and interest as you have Rooney over the course of 9 years.

It's never been confirmed that a formal transfer request was submitted. Fergie said something along the lines of "he's asked to leave" which could mean he did it formally or he had a bit of a strop and said it during the conversation they had about him being dropped and subbed a few times.

Yep. Staggering really, Rooney's contributed little in a few games whilst scoring the important goal but Jaffy's ignoring that. You can use that 2-1 win over City in 2011 to make the same point about Rooney as Jaffy did about Mata; he did very little that day except score a miraculous winning goal.

Whatever form Rooney's transfer request took it was between him and SAF. Moyes is the new bloke - nothing to do with him. I don't see how it would make him look "weak" if he were to tell Rooney he's part of next season's plans. People seem to presuppose that Rooney staying on necessarily means that the club bends over and allows him to hold it ransom - but the fact is that Moyes doesn't have to offer Rooney anything beyond a fair chance, clean slate, call it what you will.

It's never been confirmed that a formal transfer request was submitted. Fergie said something along the lines of "he's asked to leave" which could mean he did it formally or he had a bit of a strop and said it during the conversation they had about him being dropped and subbed a few times.
We talk about a 26 year old father of two who earns 250k/week, is regular in the NT, is Nikes front figure in Great Britain and playing for United for over eight years.

Why should our manager mention it if it wouldn't a genuine request? I mean he kept his mouth shout four or five times when Ruud was in the same mood. Why mention it now if it just was a small friendly chat.

We talk about a 26 year old father of two who earns 250k/week, is regular in the NT, is Nikes front figure in Great Britain and playing for United for over eight years.

Why should our manager mention it if it wouldn't a genuine request? I mean he kept his mouth shout four or five times when Ruud was in the same mood. Why mention it now if it just was a small friendly chat.

I'm not saying it wasn't an official, just that it hasn't been confirmed as being official.

For all we know this was just Fergie's way of getting him to wind his neck in a bit? Who knows.

Rooney's silence on it all has been odd though.

Agree to disagree but this happens all the time - supporters of one club are a lot harsher as critics on their own players because they watch all their games all in full. The fact is you're using a 2 year window to judge Mata when you haven't watched him with the same detail and interest as you have Rooney over the course of 9 years.

I can agree with the fact that I am more exposed to his game. But this isn't a Rooney vs Mata debate I am talking to similar players of his class he is more inconsistent than others and has a poor bottom level.

I go along with this theory of how it came about personally..

Fergie never said he has out in a transfer request. I've never understood why this thread title says so either.

Fergie simply said "he's asked for a transfer". In footballing terms that's not a transfer request, a transfer request is a written request which in turn waivers any sort of loyalty buyout of the remaining contract.

Basically it seemed what happened here is that they had a meeting and Rooney said he was upset at how he was being used and with a bit of posturing said "fine well I want to leave". Fergie just hit the public button to make sure Rooney winds his neck in.

I can agree with the fact that I am more exposed to his game. But this isn't a Rooney vs Mata debate I am talking to similar players of his class he is more inconsistent than others and has a poor bottom level.

The example you used didn't really help make your point, that's all I'm saying.

Rooney has been near his bottom level a lot this season, yet he's still managed to pop up with the 2nd best goals and assists combo in the team, and the best goals and assists per minute this season in the premier league? He may play poorly yes, but to say he doesn't contribute when playing poorly is inaccurate in every way.

The example you used didn't really help make your point, that's all I'm saying.

That's fair bad example what I mean to say when he is at his bottom level it is imo worst than other players of similar quality. He can look like he does not belong to be on that pitch happens to him far too often.

He will be 28 soon after the new season kicks off, if he is not prepared to.start taking care of himself he might waste his peak years and be 'over the hill' by 30.

Whatever form Rooney's transfer request took it was between him and SAF. Moyes is the new bloke - nothing to do with him. I don't see how it would make him look "weak" if he were to tell Rooney he's part of next season's plans. People seem to presuppose that Rooney staying on necessarily means that the club bends over and allows him to hold it ransom - but the fact is that Moyes doesn't have to offer Rooney anything beyond a fair chance, clean slate, call it what you will.

On the contrary, a change in leadership is just that and not a shift in the fundamentals of the position being held. I should hope that any manager of Manchester United would look upon such things as poor form and substandard conditioning in a very similar and negative fashion, if anything a a few home truths being sent his way are not before time. Rooney's importance to United's plans is as much dependent on him proving to the club that he is worth the continued backing, this has not been evident in either the initial request to leave or PR since that was revealed.

If Rooney were content with a "fair chance" would the discussions in recent weeks have unfolded as they have done?

Fergie never said he has out in a transfer request. I've never understood why this thread title says so either.

Fergie simply said "he's asked for a transfer". In footballing terms that's not a transfer request, a transfer request is a written request which in turn waivers any sort of loyalty buyout of the remaining contract.

Basically it seemed what happened here is that they had a meeting and Rooney said he was upset at how he was being used and with a bit of posturing said "fine well I want to leave". Fergie just hit the public button to make sure Rooney winds his neck in.

Didn't the whole thing come from the interview where Fergie was asked in the moment of our winning the league if Rooney has asked to leave and Fergie said yes?

There was no clarification from Fergie if it was a formal request or if it was part of the private conversation that was between player and manager where the first reports were that Rooney asked Fergie that maybe he should go elsewhere.

From that interview it has become "Fergie has said it has been an official request" - when it was nothing of the sort.

I wonder how many conversations go on like this behind closed doors where players talk to their managers if they should look to go elsewhere due to their current circumstance at the club - it probably happens a lot, we just don't hear about it.

Rooney in my view has acted the way I'd expect anyone working for me to, if they are unhappy then talk to me or the manager. He's done it in the exact mature right way but, because the story was leaked he's now being torn apart by the fans, many who have sung his name in the years he has given his heart, soul and body to the club.

Reading some posts you'd think Rooney was shit when in my opinion he is one of the best players in the league. When on song the best if Moyes can get Rooney's head sorted then we must do all we can to get him to stay and add to his quality but in the end it's all down to Moyes evaluation of him.

Didn't the whole thing come from the interview where Fergie was asked in the moment of our winning the league if Rooney has asked to leave and Fergie said yes?

There was no clarification from Fergie if it was a formal request or if it was part of the private conversation that was between player and manager where the first reports were that Rooney asked Fergie that maybe he should go elsewhere.

From that interview it has become "Fergie has said it has been an official request" - when it was nothing of the sort.

I wonder how many conversations go on like this behind closed doors where players talk to their managers if they should look to go elsewhere due to their current circumstance at the club - it probably happens a lot, we just don't hear about it.

Rooney in my view has acted the way I'd expect anyone working for me to, if they are unhappy then talk to me or the manager. He's done it in the exact mature right way but, because the story was leaked he's now being torn apart by the fans, many who have sung his name in the years he has given his heart, soul and body to the club.
Damage control. Soon somebody will tell us the request to leave wasn't actually a request, just a small chat.... oh wait.

Fergie is no idiot who confirms to the whole world that one of his stars asked to leave the club, or formally put in a transfer request just a few weeks before he leave his job. Especially when it is the second time in three years.

Wake up! This is negotions tactics after Wazza lose his head and in a impulsive moment threatened to leave. Rooney's camp wants a improved deal but Fergei called the bluff and forced them to show their cards.

I hope Moyes are wise and smart. There are better options out there.

Surely even in this greed bloated world Rooney and his advisors can't seriously believe they can get a better deal for him!

Getting an equal deal would be an incredible win for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.