Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree completely. Rooney at that age only had to become a clinical finisher on the easier chances and an efficient dribbler and possibly calm down slightly. Ronaldo had to learn to become an efficient dribbler himself, get stronger, change his entire childish mentality, become a clinical finisher from far and close to goal, learning how to head the ball, increasing his work-rate in the defense etc.

Ronaldo's finishing was always underrated. It is exceptional and he's very clinical. It's always set him apart from other traditional wingers ie Nani (or any other out and out winger his age).

But lets be honest though, Ronaldo has never made a challenge for the ball or done any defensive work in his entire career. Not even exaggerating.

I really dont want him to be at the club next season. I predict dressing room problems if he stays. Just fecking sell him for 30m to whomever wants him.

Why would there be dressing room problems next year and not now? Considering everywhere at the club and on facebook he seems to just be having fun with the lads on golf trips, at the races, in the celebrations.

Must be a bit weird for him being painted as wanting out and alienating himself from the club and going to functions and hanging with his team mates as if nothing is going on.

What Maradona did for Napoli in the 80s would be akin to Rooney almost single handedly carrying a Crystal Palace or Wigan to two PL titles and a couple more second place finishes, plus a FA cup. I don't think Rooney could ever achieve that kind of domestic success. You're seriously underestimating the miracle of what Maradona did for a traditionally shit Napoli side. Rooney may have more domestic trophies but Maradona pulled off a much more impressive feat without Rooney's supporting cast.

In fairness, that Napoli side was full of good players and he was far from the only star player in that side. Maradona played with Careca, Ferrara, Carnevale, De Napoli, Alemao, Zola, Crippa and plenty of others. They were a top side. Careca was a world eleven player in his own right. It would be the equivalent of having Messi and Falcao in the same side today.

Club football was a lot different then and teams did not have big squads or stockpile a host of big name players. It's why international football used to be the biggest because to have two, three to four top players in one position was unheard of in club football. I can remember once seeing Italy have the choice of Baggio, Mancini, Vialli, Schillaci(after World Cup 90) as forwards and have Signori outside the squad and think that was incredible.

AC Milan are the first team who started that in the early 90's in relation to club football.

You're right. It would be more like a lower midtable side in the PL, but I don't think quite as good as a Moyes led Everton.

Their status was probably along those midtable lines but the top of the table is probably as unassailable for Everton today as it was for Napoli back then. The big teams were prevented from collecting stars from around the world due to the limit on foreign players, that levels the playing field somewhat.

Yeah but Everton winning the premier league. Fecking Everton!! That's absolutely insane if maradona did something that special.

It was insane indeed.

In fairness, that Napoli side was full of good players and he was far from the only star player in that side. Maradona played with Careca, Ferrara, Carnevale, De Napoli, Alemao, Zola, Crippa and plenty of others. They were a top side. Careca was a world eleven player in his own right. It would be the equivalent of having Messi and Falcao in the same side today.

BOLLOCKS!

You guys need to check your facts, the Napoli side that Maradona led to a domestic double was not what you are cracking it up to be.

There was no Alemao and no Careca. In fact, Maradona was the only non-Italian as far as I remember. Ferrara was only starting, Zola didn't exist, Carnevale was your average midtable club-hopper... Only De Napoli could be said to be any good and he was far from a starter for Italy.

It was an extremely average side that he propelled to the top carrying on with his Mexico '86 form. ONCE THERE, they ensured they stayed there and won the league again bringing in the likes of Careca, Alemao, etc. But Maradona took them up there single-fecking-handedly, there's no two ways about it.

Won't carry on as this is a Rooney thread, but people overdo the whole "Maradona actually had a very competent and almost first rate cast alongside him". Bollocks he did.

BOLLOCKS!

You guys need to check your facts, the Napoli side that Maradona led to a domestic double was not what you are cracking it up to be.

There was no Alemao and no Careca. In fact, Maradona was the only non-Italian as far as I remember. Ferrara was only starting, Zola didn't exist, Carnevale was your average midtable club-hopper... Only De Napoli could be said to be any good and he was far from a starter for Italy.

It was an extremely average side that he propelled to the top carrying on with his Mexico '86 form. ONCE THERE, they ensured they stayed there and won the league again bringing in the likes of Careca, Alemao, etc. But Maradona took them up there single-fecking-handedly, there's no two ways about it.

True
But Carnevale was pretty good player at the time...

Maybe I think he was good because I was 13 and had this card:
images

He didn't need to be sent anywhere, he'd been out injured for weeks hence he wasn't fully fit for first team action, he could have done the training here but he was in the midst of an entire set of fans hating him and the media storm so he was sent away to get away from it all.

Or we wanted him to get fit ASAP and that was the best option with the least distractions. More than one way to look at that situation. Nonetheless, it wasn't a great time for the lad but he did to himself.

feckINGHELLBALLS!

I clicked into the last page of this thread to see what the latest news on Rooney leaving was, and find out that Maradona definitely DID NOT have a great team around him when NAPOLI won the domestic-shitting-double.

Which is INTERESTING as feck!!

I think I've got the emphasis right.

If he stays that will mean the problems will have been sorted but more important imo is the mentality he comes back with and how he will fit into this team.

Maybe I think he was good because I was 13 and had this card:
images

Indeed. He was the classic midtable journeyman and only when Napoli reached their peak did he finally get a look in for the national team. He was meant to partner Vialli but got quickly overtaken by the one cup wonder that was Toto Schillaci (who probably didn't even have a card).

feckINGHELLBALLS!

I clicked into the last page of this thread to see what the latest news on Rooney leaving was, and find out that Maradona definitely DID NOT have a great team around him when NAPOLI won the domestic-shitting-double.

Which is INTERESTING as feck!!

I think I've got the emphasis right.

Yes you did. What the feck are you doing expecting news on Rooney? There's nothing even remotely interesting to discuss there so we've chosen to pick on someone saying Rooney has achieved more than Maradona.

If you don't want disappointment you should click on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. Or track how many pages the thread has, if there are suddenly 10+ more it is time to check it. That didn't work for me with Pogba though.

This thread is fecking retarded, how the hell are you lot comparing Rooney to Maradona?

This thread is fecking retarded, how the hell are you lot comparing Rooney to Maradona?

IIRC the initial remark came by way of somebody comparing Rooney [a player who didn't care a great deal about how his conditioning and lifestyle affects on-pitch matters] to another famously successful footballer for whom it was cited that similar traits prevent them rising to the very top.

Can we please just sell him already! And get in someone that wants to play for the shirt..

Or, since we'll probably sign a footballer to replace him, someone who wants to play for the obscene wages he is being paid, but is better at pretending he gives a feck about the shirt than this Wayne character is.

:lol: Gotta feel for him in a way, he's always being compared with the likes of Ronaldo and Maradona, he's never going to come out of that looking good.

It's quite strange that there are millions of player he's better than yet he only ever seems to get compared with those few who are better than him.

:lol: Gotta feel for him in a way, he's always being compared with the likes of Ronaldo and Maradona, he's never going to come out of that looking good.

It's quite strange that there are millions of player he's better than yet he only ever seems to get compared with those few who are better than him.

True. What a poor sap. He kicks up a fuss and embarrasses the club in order to be paid a comparable salary with the World's best players, unbelievably sad that now he's now being compared with them.

Why would there be dressing room problems next year and not now? Considering everywhere at the club and on facebook he seems to just be having fun with the lads on golf trips, at the races, in the celebrations.

Must be a bit weird for him being painted as wanting out and alienating himself from the club and going to functions and hanging with his team mates as if nothing is going on.

Because he has a troubled relationship with Moyes already. Even with SAF Rooney has had the audacity to try to be the more important person and put himself ahead of the club and his teammates. There is every reason to believe this problem will escalate with a new manager who has less respect than SAF did. As Gooose said there is the possibility of Rooney, who seems a strong dressing room character at the club, getting his mates to dislike Moyes as well.

I think things will go well if Rooney stays if he gets regular time on the pitch and we get results. However if Rooney doesnt play as much as he wants and especially if this coincides with a blip in team form and a poor string of results then Rooney is the bigges potential problem we have. He tosses his toys out of the pram when things dont go his way. Hes done it plenty of times before, against bigger people than Moyes. He will do it again, and its for the best if this potential problem is removed rather than pray and hope everything goes well.

Haven't really bothered with this thread for a while, pretty much accepted that he'll leave. It's a shame that he'll end like this, but I hope we get a good price at least and he goes to a foreign team. Also if that income lets us sign either Fabregas or Thiago, then it'll be all good.

Or, since we'll probably sign a footballer to replace him, someone who wants to play for the obscene wages he is being paid, but is better at pretending he gives a feck about the shirt than this Wayne character is.

Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.