Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can still be fit and smoke although it's not the ideal situation. At the same time, you shouldn't need to be sent to a Nike camp in the US just to get fit
He didn't need to be sent anywhere, he'd been out injured for weeks hence he wasn't fully fit for first team action, he could have done the training here but he was in the midst of an entire set of fans hating him and the media storm so he was sent away to get away from it all.

Yeah except for guiding your country to the biggest trophy in football Rooney has been more successful :wenger:

Maradona had a successful club career nonetheless we are not comparing a winner to a loser so saying how about Maradona isn't a good argument he is at worst the consensus 3rd best player ever what he achieved while not being at his physical peak does not justify what Rooney has done with his body in a different era.

Rooney was the greater talent when they were both signed. Ronaldo was not the goal threat he is now nor was he as consistent with his end product which are the two things which make him the player he is today, Rooney did both of those things better than him and had flair and the ability to produce magic. What Ronaldo did was improve physically (which is an understatement), added more to his game on the training pitch and cut out the unneeded excess in his game and focused on what gave him results and helped him influence games at the highest level. Ronaldo got the utmost out of his talent it is easy to say he was the better player now their careers have progressed but at the time it was Rooney.

You seem to be mixing the definitions here. Rooney was the better player at the time but Ronaldo was always more talented. He had greater potential than Rooney and fulfilled it.

You seem to be mixing the definitions here. Rooney was the better player at the time but Ronaldo was always more talented. He had greater potential than Rooney and fulfilled it.

I don't know that he had better potential Rooney was/is younger than him and had more to his game at the time. The player Ronaldo became is unbelievable and few would have imagined it. Like I say now their careers have played out largely it is easy to make the observation he had more potential he was a typically young skillful winger while Rooney was something else.

I'm really sick of reading and worrying about his future, I really hope something is sorted ASAP. The longer this drags on the more attention Moyes and the higher-ups have to pay towards it and it could threaten to overshadow the start of next season or at least impact our transfer plans. If he wants to go just get rid and we can move forward. Is Moyes supposed to be meeting him this week?

Rooney's been more successful than Maradona except on the international stage.

As for earlier posters claiming he was more talented than Ronaldo: that's madness. In 2004 he was ahead of Ronaldo in terms of development but Ronaldo always had more sheer talent. He had a lot of maturing to do on the pitch though, more than Rooney.

What Maradona did for Napoli in the 80s would be akin to Rooney almost single handedly carrying a Crystal Palace or Wigan to two PL titles and a couple more second place finishes, plus a FA cup. I don't think Rooney could ever achieve that kind of domestic success. You're seriously underestimating the miracle of what Maradona did for a traditionally shit Napoli side. Rooney may have more domestic trophies but Maradona pulled off a much more impressive feat without Rooney's supporting cast.

Rooney was the greater talent when they were both signed. Ronaldo was not the goal threat he is now nor was he as consistent with his end product which are the two things which make him the player he is today, Rooney did both of those things better than him and had flair and the ability to produce magic. What Ronaldo did was improve physically (which is an understatement), added more to his game on the training pitch and cut out the unneeded excess in his game and focused on what gave him results and helped him influence games at the highest level. Ronaldo got the utmost out of his talent it is easy to say he was the better player now their careers have progressed but at the time it was Rooney.

Agreed (not bothered about the Maradona comparison).

Ronaldo wasn't close to what he is now - hell, he wasn't even that fast. I remember him bein properly outpaced by a 34 year old, or so, Overmars, and I always thought that a 32-33 year old Giggs was faster. His end product was only so so, and his link-up play was erratic at best. Rooney had more end product to his game at that time, even if Ronaldo was more flashy. I'd argue that Rooney was probably as explosive, if not more so, than Ronaldo back then. His shooting was certainly better, as was his decision making.

Now, I can't think of anything except arguably long passing and defensive abilities where Rooney excels.

Disagree completely. Rooney at that age only had to become a clinical finisher on the easier chances and an efficient dribbler and possibly calm down slightly. Ronaldo had to learn to become an efficient dribbler himself, get stronger, change his entire childish mentality, become a clinical finisher from far and close to goal, learning how to head the ball, increasing his work-rate in the defense etc.

Rooney was clearly the more talented player, all Ronaldo had at that point over Rooney was a very raw dribbling ability.

It is very easy to paint Ronaldo as having the untapped raw talent now we see the player he has become but he got there through sheer hard work he was not as naturally talented as Rooney.

Nature vs Nurture i'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Has there been any actual news about this? It's hard to keep up with this thread.

I'm really sick of reading and worrying about his future, I really hope something is sorted ASAP. The longer this drags on the more attention Moyes and the higher-ups have to pay towards it and it could threaten to overshadow the start of next season or at least impact our transfer plans. If he wants to go just get rid and we can move forward. Is Moyes supposed to be meeting him this week?

Great username.

It is very easy to paint Ronaldo as having the untapped raw talent now we see the player he has become but he got there through sheer hard work he was not as naturally talented as Rooney.

Agree - I think SAF was the perfect manager for Ronaldo to have.

But while there are many comments about how United made him the player he is...Ronaldo is the one that did it.

He was in the right system - without a doubt - but Ronaldo pushed himself to be the best on the world.

Disagree completely. Rooney at that age only had to become a clinical finisher on the easier chances and an efficient dribbler and possibly calm down slightly. Ronaldo had to learn to become an efficient dribbler himself, get stronger, change his entire childish mentality, become a clinical finisher from far and close to goal, learning how to head the ball, increasing his work-rate in the defense etc.

Rooney was clearly the more talented player, all Ronaldo had at that point over Rooney was a very raw dribbling ability.

Rooney was hyped up more due to being English but Ronaldo clearly had more potential and talent. You make it sound like Ronaldo was a pub footballer. The only thing Rooney had on Ronaldo then was that he was the better passer (and still is) but Ronaldo was ahead in every other area.

What Maradona did for Napoli in the 80s would be akin to Rooney almost single handedly carrying a Crystal Palace or Wigan to two PL titles and a couple more second place finishes, plus a FA cup. I don't think Rooney could ever achieve that kind of domestic success. You're seriously underestimating the miracle of what Maradona did for a traditionally shit Napoli side. Rooney may have more domestic trophies but Maradona pulled off a much more impressive feat without Rooney's supporting cast.

Is this actually true? I asked someone once whether that was the case and the guy laughed it off by saying Napoli were nowhere near as weak as people like to make them out to be. I've no idea personally, just wondering.

Is this actually true? I asked someone once whether that was the case and the guy laughed it off by saying Napoli were nowhere near as weak as people like to make them out to be. I've no idea personally, just wondering.

Napoli were 9th, 9th and 11th the three seasons before he joined. By his third season at Napoli they were champions.

Ofcourse it wasn't just Maradona, but his presence was inspired.

Rooney was hyped up more due to being English but Ronaldo clearly had more potential and talent. You make it sound like Ronaldo was a pub footballer. The only thing Rooney had on Ronaldo then was that he was the better passer (and still is) but Ronaldo was ahead in every other area.

He wasn't a pub footballer but Rooney was the better player when they both came through English or not the hype was justified. For two years he was comfortably better than Ronaldo who then had an amazing leap in 06/07 and ended up being the player we had today. Ronaldo was more skilful than Rooney and that was it. Rooney had him beat in all other areas off the game. On top of that he was more consistent which is the most important thing.

He wasn't a pub footballer but Rooney was the better player when they both came through English or not the hype was justified. For two years he was comfortably better than Ronaldo who then had an amazing leap in 06/07 and ended up being the player we had today. Ronaldo was more skilful than Rooney and that was it. Rooney had him beat in all other areas off the game. On top of that he was more consistent which is the most important thing.

And what other areas would that exactly be?

He maybe at longer passes, but certainly not at passes over shorter distances.

While I see you were reacting to a ridiculous statement, you've gone a bit far with the hyperbole. No one could get Wigan to win the PL, not even Maradona. The size of the task Napoli faced is probably more in line with Everton making that leap today. It would still be quite something for one player to make up that difference, and Rooney certainly wouldn't.

And what other areas would that exactly be?

Shooting, finishing, passing, drive, strength, defensive contribution and end product and like I said he was more consistent and able to produce that magic to win a game. He was a better big game player also.

Ronaldo was a skilful pacy winger with inconsistent end product. Plus he was the older of the two.

I think his only real side kicks were Careca and I can't remember the other striker. They had some name for the three of them. And there was also that typical Italian thug defender of the time, Ciro Ferrara. No other real internationals in the side that I recall. I lived in Italy for a couple years in the late 80s and Maradona had absolute god worship there. Almost like Argentina.

They would've had about a quarter of the talent that Rooney's United sides have had.

While I see you were reacting to a ridiculous statement, you've gone a bit far with the hyperbole. No one could get Wigan to win the PL, not even Maradona. The size of the task Napoli faced is probably more in line with Everton making that leap today. It would still be quite something for one player to make up that difference, and Rooney certainly wouldn't.

You're right. It would be more like a lower midtable side in the PL, but I don't think quite as good as a Moyes led Everton.

Shooting, finishing, passing, drive, strength, defensive contribution and end product and like I said he was more consistent and able to produce that magic to win a game. He was a better big game player also.

Ronaldo was a skilful pacy winger with inconsistent end product. Plus he was the older of the two.

I am talking of purely footballing attributes. Whether Rooney or Ronaldo had the better drive or strength is quite subjective. In fact he used to and still gets shrugged off the ball a lot.

I don't think Rooney's finishing was any better than Ronaldo's nor was his shooting. He scored more goals but those were the days where Ronaldo exclusively played on the wings rather than as an inside forward. He used to have plenty of shots from distance, most of which ended up in the top row.

Ronaldo on the other hand had pretty much everything talent wise and only needed to sort out his decision making which was quite suspect. He was the better dribbler, had more pace, two footed and a better header of the ball.

Rooney was a lot more hyped up due to being English, a hype which only escalated after his fantastic debut for us but there were a lot lot more holdes in his game than Ronaldo.

This thread gets more depressing every time I click on it.
As someone said above, I hope it all gets sorted soon.

Yeah but Everton winning the premier league. Fecking Everton!! That's absolutely insane if maradona did something that special.

Ronaldo was more naturally talented. Rooney was further ahead in his development, both physically and in terms of his reading of the game. But Ronaldo's natural gifts were much much greater. When things like finishing, passing and physical development naturally got better, he became a far better football.

And I don't think it's just sheer hardwork thats made Ronaldo the player he is today. He has incredible talent as well. He's not Gary Neville. He was one of the games most gifted young players and now he's one of the games greatest players.

I think his only real side kicks were Careca and I can't remember the other striker. They had some name for the three of them. And there was also that typical Italian thug defender of the time, Ciro Ferrara. No other real internationals in the side that I recall. I lived in Italy for a couple years in the late 80s and Maradona had absolute god worship there. Almost like Argentina.

They would've had about a quarter of the talent that Rooney's United sides have had.

They didn't have a load of huge names, but then few teams - even very good ones - did back then, compared to these days.

In their first title season they had - apart from Careca and Ferrara, whom you've mentioned - at least Carnevale and de Napoli (both fairly big names at the time). They also had the absurdly named Bruno Giordano, of course, but he was hardly a world beater.

In their second title season they had even less "big" names - unless you want to count a certain Gianfranco Zola, who was one of the most exciting talents in Europe at the time.

They had a fair balance, though - a bloody decent side. Just as Argentina was a bloody decent side in '86. As good as Maradona was (and I'm firmly in his camp as far as GOAT is concerned) he did have some help along the way.

This thread gets more depressing every time I click on it.
As someone said above, I hope it all gets sorted soon.

Agreed.

It's got so dull so early, that people are starting to discuss stupid stuff.

However, everytime i see the thread, well the "Wayne Rooney Confirmed" bit as that's all that shows, I steam in...

to find jack sh!T as an update

Like I said Ronaldo was not a good finisher or shooter he was a pacy skilful dribbler as a youngster it was when he cut that out and became a physical beast that his game went up to another level. Rooney was younger and further along in his development you wouldn't expect either to stop developing it just meant had a better natural feel for the game than Ronaldo he was a better passer more defensively responsible, Ronaldo has never been nothing more than a solid passer while Rooney was capable of the better defensive splitting ball and the better long pass he also had more magic in his game than Ronaldo.

What are Ronaldo's main strengths now? physical, finishing and movement-wise as well as shooting those are things he worked on while on the training ground not things that he showed flashes of as a youngster. Rooney did most things better than him and more consistently and had the end product to back that up regardless of position on the pitch.

It would be hard to justify someone like Oscar as being better or more talented than Neymar when they are similar ages and one outproduces the other on the pitch which is what Rooney was doing. Ronaldo becoming a better player is as much a product of his hardwork as it is of Rooney's lack thereof.

It will always be hard to argue this now their careers have panned out but 8-9 years ago nobody would say Ronaldo was better or more talented he was labeled a show boat with little end product was he much more naturally talented than Quaresma? not imo and Rooney was more talented than both of them. But now he was supposedly the more talented out of him and Rooney. He was more skilful and I think that is what you are mistaking more skilful = more talented in the case of Ronaldo and Rooney that wasn't the case.

Rooney was never an over-hyped youngster he stared at an International competition at 19 scored winners in big games domestically and he scored goals in Europe. He was younger and produced more from his position more consistently how that equates to Ronaldo being the better talent baffles me.

Like I said Ronaldo was not a good finisher or shooter he was a pacy skilful dribbler as a youngster it was when he cut that out and became a physical beast that his game went up to another level. Rooney was younger and further along in his development you wouldn't expect either to stop developing it just meant had a better natural feel for the game than Ronaldo he was a better passer more defensively responsible, Ronaldo has never been nothing more than a solid passer while Rooney was capable of the better defensive splitting ball and the better long pass he also had more magic in his game than Ronaldo.

What are Ronaldo's main strengths now? physical, finishing and movement-wise as well as shooting those are things he worked on while on the training ground not things that he showed flashes of as a youngster. Rooney did most things better than him and more consistently and had the end product to back that up regardless of position on the pitch.

It would be hard to justify someone like Oscar as being better or more talented than Neymar when they are similar ages and one outproduces the other on the pitch which is what Rooney was doing. Ronaldo becoming a better player is as much a product of his hardwork as it is of Rooney's lack thereof.

It will always be hard to argue this now their careers have panned out but 8-9 years ago nobody would say Ronaldo was better or more talented he was labeled a show boat with little end product was he much more naturally talented than Quaresma? not imo and Rooney was more talented than both of them. But now he was supposedly the more talented out of him and Rooney. He was more skilful and I think that is what you are mistaking more skilful = more talented in the case of Ronaldo and Rooney that wasn't the case.

Rooney was never an over-hyped youngster he stared at an International competition at 19 scored winners in big games domestically and he scored goals in Europe. He was younger and produced more from his position more consistently how that equates to Ronaldo being the better talent baffles me.

The first bolded part - well, that ain't no fact, as they say. I'm inclined to think that you don't get to Ronaldo's present level without a rare natural talent to build on. Hard work is a fine thing, but you can't buckle down and work your way to becoming just about the best player in the world. That requires something else in addition. I remember seeing Ronaldo for the first time live - and even I, being no more than a fairly dim football fan, could see that he had something outside of the ordinary. Something about his touch, his presence on the pitch - yes, his arrogance too, I suppose. A justifiable sort of arrogance. He looked like something - more so than any other player I've had the privilege of watching at such a young age.

The second bolded part - aye, I agree fully. He was special too - one hell of a talent. But a different one.

Agreed.

It's got so dull so early, that people are starting to discuss stupid stuff.

However, everytime i see the thread, well the "Wayne Rooney Confirmed" bit as that's all that shows, I steam in...

to find jack sh!T as an update

I don't know what the hell happened in here, but it's beyond ridiculous now.

They didn't have a load of huge names, but then few teams - even very good ones - did back then, compared to these days.

In their first title season they had - apart from Careca and Ferrara, whom you've mentioned - at least Carnevale and de Napoli (both fairly big names at the time). They also had the absurdly named Bruno Giordano, of course, but he was hardly a world beater.

In their second title season they had even less "big" names - unless you want to count a certain Gianfranco Zola, who was one of the most exciting talents in Europe at the time.

They had a fair balance, though - a bloody decent side. Just as Argentina was a bloody decent side in '86. As good as Maradona was (and I'm firmly in his camp as far as GOAT is concerned) he did have some help along the way.

Giordano. That's the geezer I couldn't remember. Anyone recall the name they had for Maradona, Careca and Giordano? Something really stoopid. Actually, thinking it over more, they did have a better side than I gave them credit for. It was just at the time, Italians were hyping Maradona so much because Napoli was such an unfashionable side that nobody cared about until he came along. Much of it the Northern scorn for the south. It was such a bizarre choice for Maradona to make to go there. Made no sense at the time. I also remember it became almost cult like to get a tattoo of Maradona.

I've heard that the most tattooed image after Jesus Christ is fellow god, Maradona.

If I remember right, it wasn't until Zola (with my boy Asprilla) came over to Parma that he became such a household name. Don't think he was more than just an exciting "prospect" those first couple years with Napoli. I could be wrong about that. I'd left Italy to go back to Colombia by the time he came over to Napoli.

The first bolded part - well, that ain't no fact, as they say. I'm inclined to think that you don't get to Ronaldo's present level without a rare natural talent to build on. Hard work is a fine thing, but you can't buckle down and work your way to becoming just about the best player in the world. That requires something else in addition. I remember seeing Ronaldo for the first time live - and even I, being no more than a fairly dim football fan, could see that he had something outside of the ordinary. Something about his touch, his presence on the pitch - yes, his arrogance too, I suppose. A justifiable sort of arrogance. He looked like something - more so than any other player I've had the privilege of watching at such a young age.

The second bolded part - aye, I agree fully. He was special too - one hell of a talent. But a different one.

I don't disagree that he was talented like you said but talent is NEVER fully realised without the work ethic and I feel these two are a great case study for that Rooney was the better of two amazing young talents but through his hardwork and Rooney's lack thereof Ronaldo was able to overtake him.

There are a few youngsters who had more about their game now than Ronaldo did at their age one or two will reach his level and that is the hardwork part.

Giordano. That's the geezer I couldn't remember. Anyone recall the name they had for Maradona, Careca and Giordano? Something really stoopid. Actually, thinking it over more, they did have a better side than I gave them credit for. It was just at the time, Italians were hyping Maradona so much because Napoli was such an unfashionable side that nobody cared about until he came along. Much of it the Northern scorn for the south. It was such a bizarre choice for Maradona to make to go there. Made no sense at the time. I also remember it became almost cult like to get a tattoo of Maradona.

I've heard that the most tattooed image after Jesus Christ is fellow god, Maradona.

If I remember right, it wasn't until Zola (with my boy Asprilla) came over to Parma that he became such a household name. Don't think he was more than just an exciting "prospect" those first couple years with Napoli. I could be wrong about that. I'd left Italy to go back to Colombia by the time he came over to Napoli.

Magica, Ma-gi-ca. Clever, eh? Though I would stress again that Bruno was nowhere near his reversed namesake in terms of genius. It was Maradona - and Careca. And a bit of the third one.

I am talking of purely footballing attributes. Whether Rooney or Ronaldo had the better drive or strength is quite subjective. In fact he used to and still gets shrugged off the ball a lot.

I don't think Rooney's finishing was any better than Ronaldo's nor was his shooting. He scored more goals but those were the days where Ronaldo exclusively played on the wings rather than as an inside forward. He used to have plenty of shots from distance, most of which ended up in the top row.

Ronaldo on the other hand
had pretty much everything talent wise and only needed to sort out his decision making which was quite suspect. He was the better dribbler, had more pace, two footed and a better header of the ball.

Rooney was a lot more hyped up due to being English, a hype which only escalated after his fantastic debut for us but there were a lot lot more holdes in his game than Ronaldo.

:lol: How the hell can you criticise Rooney for that and ignore the fact that Ronaldo was even worse than him in this regard, in fact still is prone to some ridiculous pot shots today.

I didn't really mind either of them having a go from far out because they're both highly capable shooting from range, I'd like Rooney to do more of it if I'm honest.

Magica, Ma-gi-ca. Clever, eh? Though I would stress again that Bruno was nowhere near his reversed namesake in terms of genius. It was Maradona - and Careca. And a bit of the third one.

Yeah, that was it. Doh! How fecking shite!

Thinking more on it, they also had the Brazilian, Alemao, didn't they? More I think about it, the better they were.

A million times this.

I think it's atrocious not to be 100 % as fit as you can be when payed those wages and being lucky enough to do what he does for a living.

He has wasted some of his potential letting down both himself and the club all for the want of a little extra commitment. There's no sign of this changing yet he would presume to put himself forward ahead of others at United?

Status
Not open for further replies.