Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's being used in all the promo stuff on the website for the new kit as well for what it's worth.

His wages are almost certainly the 180k a week which was reported by absolutely every credible source immediately after the contract was signed. The only clubs which pay higher than than that are clubs we either won't sell him to (City) or who he would be unwilling to play for (Anzhi).

There's shit loads of photos all around the stadium with various players on them, including him, and inside the megastore there's a massive 'to be continued' pic of him on the wall as you walk in, the same as the one that was on the front of the stadium.

Not saying this means anything, but they're not taking his image down from anywhere.

True, but not using him would only fuel even more spaculation.

Taken what personally, the media's nonsense with Rooney's wages? It irritates me deeply, yes, but mainly because it's such a perfect symbol of the absolute nonsense which is the modern sporting press. I'd hardly say it means anything to me on a personal level though.

edit: Seriously, look at this, from the same newspaper, one article immediately after he signed the new contract, and one article three years later describing the same contract:

"Rooney has become the best-paid player in the club's history by agreeing to a deal that doubles his wages to around £180,000 a week"

"The French champions, who are backed by the money-flushed Qatar Investment Authority, made their interest in securing the player known last week and have indicated they would be prepared to match his salary, which amounts to about £300,000 a week."

How do you account for that, other than to recognise them as complete fecking charlatans?

Haha fair play mate! Big reason why I rarely read anything in the media which is football-related.

So much of it seems like a cat and mouse game. Remember reading an article about Fergie calling Mathieson to say we were interested in a player just to ease fans' concerns even though we really weren't. So although the media can print some complete rubbish, I do think there are times where despite the headline being ridiculous, the story wasn't made up by the paper itself. Sometimes agents, managers, club officials drop lines which mean very little but they know it will catch the attention of fans. We see it every day.

It's not hard to filter the bullshit though? I mean that is their job. Plenty of Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime around the world read it as gospel these days.

These days it just seems like a 'lets spunk our story everywhere and if it sticks it sticks, if it doesn't then we move on...' also the whole 'lets spew bullshit to try and be the first one who reported it 5 months early with a complete speculative lie, then pat ourselves on the back when it finally happens.. Because we're amazing journo's....' is putrid as well

Hate rage and bollocks is all they are good for these days. Twitter doesn't help either.

Certainly easy to filter it but look at the headlines. They play on the emotions of fans. You see a similar phenomenon in TV advertising. Some people are given jobs on finding out how to best advertise a product and how our tasked with researching how the brain responds to certain sights and sounds. For some papers, it's about selling a football story even if it's complete rubbish. What's one way to do that? Play on people's emotions.

Going by the Forbes assessment of his annual income and the figures quoted when Rooney was fined for being incapable of training satisfactorily, i'd say we're looking at something in the region of £220,000/week give or take.

However 250,000 is the consensus pretty much across the board at present so i could be out by a million and a bit.

That is just BS, immediately. If United were confirming anything about Rooney's future, it would definitely not be "FootballDave" being the first to announce it.

Looks like total shite to me.

Do not underestimate the power of FootballDave.

Raphael Honigstein when asked about Rooney's future:

"It's very difficult to see him as a natural candidate for European football, his application is not good enough."

"Here he has been indulged in many ways, in Europe he wouldn't he'd be seen as someone who is overpaid and not doing his job. Because it is part of your job to actually live your life in a way that means you'll be ready for August 15th and not September 21st or having to go on conditioning trips to the States mid season as you are not ready."

His application is not good enough... feck off Honigstein

That is true though we complain about it here. For what you are paying for Rooney you want value for your money and where that counts most is on the pitch. He has not been up to scratch recently.

Only Messi and Ronaldo have a better record in CL knockout rounds than Rooney, isn't that correct?

His fitness 'issue' is being overblown for what people predict in the future. But then again people were writing him off at 22 about his body shape.

That is true though we complain about it here. For what you are paying for Rooney you want value for your money and where that counts most is on the pitch. He has not been up to scratch recently.

:lol: I wouldn't use opinions on the caf to try and validate another person's opinion.

Only Messi and Ronaldo have a better record in CL knockout rounds than Rooney, isn't that correct?

His fitness 'issue' is being overblown for what people predict in the future. But then again people were writing him off at 22 about his body shape.

This is due to the fact that he was a super-star when a Ronaldo came here who was worse than Rooney in every way except dribbling. Ronaldo ended up lightyears ahead of Rooney however and I think people are harsch on him due to that fact. Ronaldo made Rooneys improvement from that point look utterly pathetic whereas it has in reality been very average.

Of course you can't challenge for the worlds best player if your development is average and that is what people are upset about. He had more talent than one of the most talented players in history but failed to reach near the same heights.

People are always harsh on talented players who don't seem to try hard enough.

:lol: I wouldn't use opinions on the caf to try and validate another person's opinion.

:lol: No he was making it sound like a travesty that someone could question his application when it is done here everyday was my point.

This is due to the fact that he was a super-star when a Ronaldo came here who was worse than Rooney in every way except dribbling. Ronaldo ended up lightyears ahead of Rooney however and I think people are harsch on him due to that fact. Ronaldo made Rooneys improvement from that point look utterly pathetic whereas it has in reality been very average.

Of course you can't challenge for the worlds best player if your development is average and that is what people are upset about. He had more talent than one of the most talented players in history but failed to reach near the same heights.

People are always harsh on talented players who don't seem to try hard enough.

I agree when they where up and coming Rooney was the better talent people wouldn't believe you if you told them that today. Whenever we look at Ronaldo it is a reminder of what Rooney could have been he has been a great layer one of the best this country has had in the last 30 years but did he fulfill his potential? I would say no. He had the potential to be one of the best 2-3 players in the world and he has never done that.

Honigstein is completely right.

A sportsman on Rooney's wages shouldn't smoke, shouldn't eat fatty burgers and pizzas, shouldn't drink and shouldn't have long nights out ahead of games. A professional sportsman that is.

A million times this.

I think it's atrocious not to be 100 % as fit as you can be when payed those wages and being lucky enough to do what he does for a living.

You can still be fit and smoke although it's not the ideal situation. At the same time, you shouldn't need to be sent to a Nike camp in the US just to get fit

I agree with the views but on the other hand when you have been as successful as he has been it is hard to not slip a level it would only be the ultra competitive one's who can maintain that year in year out. Wayne is most likely not that type he is happy to be 70% fit and be better than the majority out there he is so talented he can mail it in and still contribute he was beginning to get found out last year but this season t has been just blatant. I wonder how he will respond.

Being that young with the world in your hands is a lot of responsibility few manage it well.

I agree when they where up and coming Rooney was the better talent people wouldn't believe you if you told them that today. Whenever we look at Ronaldo it is a reminder of what Rooney could have been he has been a great layer one of the best this country has had in the last 30 years but did he fulfill his potential? I would say no. He had the potential to be one of the best 2-3 players in the world and he has never done that.

I think even further than so, Rooney could have been the best English player in the history. Rooney at 17 was a better player than Messi/Ronaldo were, the only thing he was lacking was dribbling and clinical finishing.

It shouldn't have taken more than 2-3 years for him to develop great dribbling as well if he had given his heart for it.

Looking at Rooney's dribbling it is as if he didn't practice it a single time since then. He isn't any better at all and when he lost that extra yard of pace he used to have it became apparent as a weakness.

Rooney is one of the only players at that level to be critiqued for "not getting better" instead of praised for how good he actually got.

Well hold on a second there. Wayne Rooney certainly got better. The stats speak for themselves. Just not to the level we expected/wanted. You could argue that angle from his performances over recent seasons.

Yes, there's always going to be some people who think absurd things, however, the clear majority do not think that. I think the more relevant debate is whether he has filled the potential he showed early on.

I think even further than so, Rooney could have been the best English player in the history. Rooney at 17 was a better player than Messi/Ronaldo were, the only thing he was lacking was dribbling and clinical finishing.

It shouldn't have taken more than 2-3 years for him to develop great dribbling as well if he had given his heart for it.

Looking at Rooney's dribbling it is as if he didn't practice it a single time since then. He isn't any better at all and when he lost that extra yard of pace he used to have it became apparent as a weakness.

Rooney is one of the only players at that level to be critiqued for "not getting better" instead of praised for how good he actually got.

Hmmm I think he is in between he got better but he didn't get good enough. Like many will point out 'on his day' he is world class the main thing that separates Messi and Roanldo from the others is their consistency and durability I remember a friend calling out Ronaldo for having scored 2 in 6 games at a time they can be relied on to produce consistently. He has never given us that bar 09/10 and even then he stopped playing in March.

Physically he has declined I remember Drogba dragging him in the box one time we played Chelsea he didn't fall and he almost shrugged him off eventually. He still has the strength but without the height for hold up play or the speed how useful is it? He never seems to be moving fast on the pitch it is more like he is jogging. He is such a talent he has still given match winning performances this year but he is meant to be reaching his peak unless he rededicates himself we have seen the best of Wayne Rooney imo.

Do some people really believe that the Rooney of nowadays is not much, much better than the Rooney at 17?

Yes, there's always going to be some people who think absurd things, however, the clear majority do not think that. I think the more relevant debate is whether he has filled the potential he showed early on.

Of course he is better than what he was at 17 that is without question. He has become a good player but in terms of his standing in world football and in comparison to Ronaldo I firmly believe he could have been better.

Of course he is better than what he was at 17 that is without question. He has become a good player but in terms of bis standing in world football and in comparison to Ronaldo I firmly believe he could have been better.
I think he hasn't really fulfilled his potential to be one of the greats. However, as the much-derided Gillespie pointed out years ago he always was going to struggle with bodyshape after 24/25.

I think he hasn't really fulfilled his potential to be one of the greats. However, as the much-derided Gillespie pointed out years ago he always was going to struggle with bodyshape after 24/25.

I agree he really should be built like Aguero.

I don't remember Maradona as being particularly lithe, or particularly fastidious about his healthy lifestyle!

Maradona wasn't born in an era of sports science and technology that allows players to complete somewhat superhuman feats of endurance and explosiveness and play till their 30s-40s easily.

I don't remember Maradona as being particularly lithe, or particularly fastidious about his healthy lifestyle!

Well Rooney isn't as good as him and hasn't been as successful so I don't see your argument here.

Well Rooney isn't as good as him and hasn't been as successful so I don't see your argument here.

Rooney's been more successful than Maradona except on the international stage.

As for earlier posters claiming he was more talented than Ronaldo: that's madness. In 2004 he was ahead of Ronaldo in terms of development but Ronaldo always had more sheer talent. He had a lot of maturing to do on the pitch though, more than Rooney.

Rooney's been more successful than Maradona except on the international stage.

As for earlier posters claiming he was more talented than Ronaldo: that's madness. In 2004 he was ahead of Ronaldo in terms of development but Ronaldo always had more sheer talent. He had a lot of maturing to do on the pitch though, more than Rooney.

Yeah except for guiding your country to the biggest trophy in football Rooney has been more successful :wenger:

Maradona had a successful club career nonetheless we are not comparing a winner to a loser so saying how about Maradona isn't a good argument he is at worst the consensus 3rd best player ever what he achieved while not being at his physical peak does not justify what Rooney has done with his body in a different era.

Rooney was the greater talent when they were both signed. Ronaldo was not the goal threat he is now nor was he as consistent with his end product which are the two things which make him the player he is today, Rooney did both of those things better than him and had flair and the ability to produce magic. What Ronaldo did was improve physically (which is an understatement), added more to his game on the training pitch and cut out the unneeded excess in his game and focused on what gave him results and helped him influence games at the highest level. Ronaldo got the utmost out of his talent it is easy to say he was the better player now their careers have progressed but at the time it was Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.