Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fergie never said he has out in a transfer request. I've never understood why this thread title says so either.

Fergie simply said "he's asked for a transfer". In footballing terms that's not a transfer request, a transfer request is a written request which in turn waivers any sort of loyalty buyout of the remaining contract.

Basically it seemed what happened here is that they had a meeting and Rooney said he was upset at how he was being used and with a bit of posturing said "fine well I want to leave". Fergie just hit the public button to make sure Rooney winds his neck in.

A little part of me wants Rooney to go play for Madrid and see how he likes it when hes subbed off after 65 minutes as his hairline melts away in the Spanish heat and Marca come up with some kind of photoshopped farm animal with his face on it......probably a pig.

I would prefer he stayed personally but if he has to go, send him to the circus.

There's no club in the world that he'll be willing to play for which will give him a payrise. If he stays he'll sign an extension on the same terms, and if he goes then odds are the club he signs for will simply match his already immense pay packet, albeit he'll likely get some kind of signing bonus. It's glaringly obvious that (this time) it's not about money.

So you know how much he is on? THis saga needs to end. Too much attention on Wayne. Like the Ronaldo speculation back in 08. Very annoying this situation.

Really disliked him for the drama he did in the summer of 08 and kind of ruined what should have been a summer spent celebrating a double. All the attention was on Ronaldo and if he'll leave or not and he did even more to increase the speculation. I wasn't really bothered at all when he left in 09 but I was rather disappointed that we didn't really spend the money and replaced him just with Valencia.

The thing to remember is that we can only base our views on what happens in public.

In both instances, we have not seen what has gone on behind closed doors.

As annoying as Ronaldo's indecision may have been, it is absolutely clear that he never misled SAF, or gave SAF any reason to get frustrated with him, as Rooney seems to have done.

Ronaldo left on the best possible terms with SAF and Manchester United. If Rooney goes, then the same cannot be said about him.

I really hope this story finds some resolution quickly and in any direction, whether Rooney leaves or stays, it'll be better for anyone involved that things get settled fast.
This could be a long and tedious summer

Neymar has confirmed that he will sign for barca. Considering that the white pele may soon be on the market im shocked that they havent opted for him

I want him to stay and be played in his proper position (behind RvP) I think a lot of his frustration comes from being sacrificed plenty of times this season for other players (forced to play centre midfield, dropped to the bench for big games etc) he probably doesn't feel loved. That being said the transfer request leak again could spell the end for him, I don't see how he comes back from handing in 2 requests in the space of 3 years. I feel a bit for him, he didn't have the best of season but he was certainly made to play second fiddle at times.

Rooney was dropped because Sir Alex wasn't happy with his performances which is fine. I think we'll see him returning to form next season and playing a prominent part in Moyes first trophy success :drool:

In this day and age, you can't drop Rooney without explaining yourself and I think Sir Alex wanted to remind the player he's the boss. Rooney should sack his agent.

The Madrid dropping was bizarre though, hadn't he just scored 2 goals (one of them a quality goal) and was arguably MotM against Norwich like 3 days earlier? I think he was on something like 10 goals in 12 games at that point as well while being played out of position for a number of those games.

The Madrid dropping was bizarre though, hadn't he just scored 2 goals (one of them a quality goal) and was arguably MotM against Norwich like 3 days earlier?

It was until you saw how we played and then it made sense. Rooney simply didnt have the pace to play as deep as welbeck was to stifle alonso and then speed past him once rvp got the ball. As a wide player Rooney had been very average in the away leg.

Well that's a problem in itself isn't it. We don't have the quality in midfield to cope with players like Alonso so Rooney has to sacrifice his game to deal with it. If we had midfielder X, Y or Z in the middle of the park we could keep Rooney in his natural position but that's a completely different argument I guess.

I have said it a hundred times, will probably say it another 100 times before this over, it is time to both the club and Rooney to move on.

We should strengthen our central midfield and wings in order to have minimal impact from this departure. He needs to change scenery to give his career the impetus it needs now.

It will be annoying if this drags on till the end of the transfer window. PSG please buy him and pay us £40m, soon.

It'll be really annoying if we finally strengthen midfield only after Rooney goes. I wish we had a strong enough midfield right now that would Rooney and RvP to play closer together. It'll be a real shame if we don't get to see that partnership flourish. The two best strikers in the PL :drool:

I'd strongly prefer that he stays. In form he is still one of the premier league's top players. Im also worried that if RVP were to be injured, then we would need Rooney to step and play as a number 9. Welbeck isn't good enough yet to supply regular goals, and Hernandez can't lead the line on his own in the way Rooney can. Basically im worried about quality depth if he leaves.

That is definitely a valid point but I think it's also partly rooneys fault. Hed still need to play a bit deeper as it'd been 2v3 orherwise, and as a number 10 in recent years he's not really developed a speciality. He doesn't play a lot of cutting passes, doesn't really carry the ball particularly well and you can argue that he doesn't seem to move around the pitch as much as he can do. That's not to say he isn't effective at all, clearly he can and does have superb games there but personally I think we need more from him in that role. Plus then there's the whole when he isn't in top form he can be a bit of a liability with his use of the ball although some will debate how true that actually is.

Tbf though if the reports are true over his frustrations than really Rooney can't have much to complain about. The only times he's played midfield was when it was either a necessity due to form or injuries to the other midfielders or to help his own form and him playing left is purely because he wasn't playing well enough to get a central spot. Likewise him being subbed off when we're chasing a game is his own fault for playing poor/average. If he can't understand that then he really should move on as in kagawa, welbeck and Hernandez there's gonna be a lot of fight up front.

Well that's a problem in itself isn't it. We don't have the quality in midfield to cope with players like Alonso so Rooney has to sacrifice his game to deal with it. If we had midfielder X, Y or Z in the middle of the park we could keep Rooney in his natural position but that's a completely different argument I guess.

Very good point, criticise Rooney all you want but he's always given his all wherever he's been asked to play. Despite all his attributes which get slightly wasted if he's played furthest forward I still think that's his best position. One of his biggest strengths is arguably how clinical he is, more-so than Van Persie when it comes to some of the simpler chances imo, but he's nearly always had to share some of the creative burden so doesn't get into scoring positions as often as he could.

I think he'd thrive as the main striker with Kagawa, Nani and Young supplying him but I highly doubt we'll see that next season for a number of reasons.

Rooney's best position is no.9 imo he doesn't consistently offer as much anywhere else but regardless of how poor his overall game may be upfront he gets goals. The problem now is we have a player who is better than Rooney in his best role. Rooney is to good to be on the bench. Kagawa will offer more in the .10 role once he gets used to the league and the only way that can happen is if he gets to play there more and like somebody said above Rooney doesn't offer enough there. If he stays where are we going to play him?

This will be my first comment regarding the Rooney saga and there are pros and cons whatever happened.

He's a great player when he's on form, unfortunately he have to many games when he's below standard and that's a concern for the future.

Where is his best position? Kagawa looked like a better option behind RVP in the end of the season. As a midfielder he was good offensive but was way to naive defensive. Off course a whole season in the same position will change this but is this his future role? As a winger we have better options, at least when they are fit..

His age? This will be his 10th season at top level. Compare this to Owen and Torres. I'm not so sure he's a natural fit like Giggs. Maybe his Liverpool lifestyle starts to have impact on his fitness.

Selling him will give us space to buy a world class player. We need a overhaul in midfield when Scholsey and Fletch are gone. As it look Ando and Clev is not future starters so there is room for improvement.

I expect him to stay, both Gill, Fergie and other ex players comments indicate this but it could also be a smoke screen.

My personal opinion is that a second transfer request is one to many. He's not committed any longer and for this reason he should go. As far as I can see his personality sucks, on top of that he's surrounded with bad advisers. Not a good combination. Lets see what Moyes says but I would be surprised he tolerate this saga to continue.

Announcement involving him coming at 19:00 this evening...

They might announce that they're done with a player who throws his toys out of his pram every couple of years.

If he's signed a new contract, unless on massively reduced wages, we're gonna look absolutely stupid.

I know how this will go. I'll be hitting F5 for the next hour in a half and then the announcement will be something about Nike and Rooney.

:lol: I hope not it's all over twitter surely he wouldn't need to announce such an announcement. It should only be important news.

If that's true, can't see it being anything but he's staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.