Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wants out so why the feck do you lot want him here

Because literally dozens of players have suggested to the club in the past that they're not sure they want to stick around, and have then been talked around by the management. Some players used to do it pretty much every summer.

It's about what's best for the football club, not hysterical fans who think a private expression of concern about his future at the club is akin to one's wife fecking another man. A statement which, remarkably, isn't the most absurd to feature in this thread.

Because he has really had to surpass himself, his attacking teammates have been that good so that he'd truly worry about his starting place for England.

There is still some gulf between the players you mentioned and him, same and even worse thing is Benzema for France.Benzema hasn't scored nor played well in a long while but he doesn't need to worry about his starting place because his direct competitors aren't on the same level.

It wasn't Rooney who pulled our defensive shambled out of the mire against Sweden at the Euros , that was Welbeck and Walcott. Rooney was about as bad as Hodgson's tactics against Italy.

How much of this was contributed to by Rooney partying in Vegas for a week prior to the tournament?

That is not a player staking a claim for World Cup certainty.

Rooney by contrast has scored in six of his last seven appearances for England, but yeah, they'll probably just play Carroll instead at the World Cup.

I believe the clue you should be looking for is tournament and not San Marino.

Last edited:
I believe the clue you should be looking for is tournament and not San Marino.

Oh, I'm sorry, should Wayne Rooney decline to score goals against San Marino?

He's scored seven goals in his last seven games for his country, only failing to score in that one match against Italy, and you honestly think his position is under threat? Nobody's going to pretend he's been as good for his country as he has been for his club, but he's still, of late, getting the job done almost every time.

Because literally dozens of players have suggested to the club in the past that they're not sure they want to stick around, and have then been talked around by the management. Some players used to do it pretty much every summer.

It's about what's best for the football club, not hysterical fans who think a private expression of concern about his future at the club is akin to one's wife fecking another man. A statement which, remarkably, isn't the most absurd to feature in this thread.

I know Rio messed us about but who else has handed in two transfer request over the space of three seasons?

I know Rio messed us about but who else has handed in two transfer request over the space of three seasons?

For Christ's sake, he hasn't handed in a transfer request, there has been no evidence whatsoever of such a thing, although frankly I would respect such a move, because it shows integrity lacking in most players when they try to engineer a move away from a club. All we have is a conversation he had with Fergie where he suggested he might like to leave, the kind of conversation that has been had over and over again with dozens of players ranging from Rio and Keane to Anderson and Evra. Sometimes it's about money, or playing time, but sometimes it's simply about a player seeking reassurances. Usually we don't find out about them til much later (often in some self-serving confession), but this time Ferguson decided, for whatever reason, to announce it in public.

Then we have players like Ruud and Ronaldo, who spent multiple summers openly trying to force their way out of the club. And yet we forgave them when they were talked around (the first few times) so what the hell is inspiring this unbridled and frankly unhinged vitriol?

All he ever does is score goals; I don't see the point in him tbh.

Tbh, there is actually something to that. When Rooney isn't playing well but still scoring we're okay, because we have a barrage of creative players. England, however, really need Rooney's creativity and all-round play to prosper (because they're shit), but there's absolutely no possibility he'll be dropped even when that's absent, because they don't have anyone else to score the goals either.

You can only score against what's in front of you and he's scored in every qualifier he's played in. :rolleyes:

Well that's okay then, score some goals in low pressure qualifiers or friendlies and you can a waste of space at consecutive tournaments.

Since when are qualifiers 'low pressure' for England?

I notice you didn't question him having been a waste of space. :smirk:

Oh, I'm sorry, should Wayne Rooney decline to score goals against San Marino?

He's scored seven goals in his last seven games for his country, only failing to score in that one match against Italy, and you honestly think his position is under threat? Nobody's going to pretend he's been as good for his country as he has been for his club, but he's still, of late, getting the job done almost every time.

What did he do in Poland/Ukraine or South Africa to justify your adoration and faith?

Well that's okay then, score some goals in low pressure qualifiers or friendlies and you can a waste of space at consecutive tournaments.

I agree. England should do as you suggest and start with one of Defoe, Carroll, Sturridge or Welbeck who have all managed less goals and less assists than Rooney in a bad season. That makes perfect sense. Maybe you should ring up Gary Neville? I am sure he will appreciate your pearl of wisdom

What did he do in Poland/Ukraine or South Africa to justify your adoration and faith?

England's failures at those tournaments were far more about managerial failure than anything a barely fit Rooney did or didn't do. And neither his exceptional record in qualifiers nor his middling to poor one in tournaments has any baring on my belief in his footballing ability, because I don't support that shower of shite.

I'm curious, do they allow you to put Rooney posters up on the wall of your padded cell or do you have to settle for just the Wayne superhero duvet cover?

I'm curious, do they allow you to put Rooney posters up on the wall of your padded cell or do you have to settle for just the Wayne superhero duvet cover?

This is what's particularly absurd about this madhouse of a forum. I don't even particularly like Rooney, and he's not near my top five favourite current United players. And yet I've somehow become some kind of superfan for repeatedly making glaringly obvious statements about his quality and his importance to the club. It's honestly like he's personally gone round fecking half the forum's mothers. I can't account for it at all.

The only thing which maybe explains a little bit is his scouseness, certainly it explains the specific tenor of the abuse he's been getting at the parade and such, but how many of you chucklefecks are even local enough to care about that?

It wasn't Rooney who pulled our defensive shambled out of the mire against Sweden at the Euros , that was Welbeck and Walcott. Rooney was about as bad as Hodgson's tactics against Italy.

How much of both were contributed to by Rooney partying in Vegas for a week prior to showing up at the tournament, and that late due to his suspension?

That is not a player staking a claim for World Cup certainty.

I honestly your hatred for him is making you say these crazy things.Rooney is by far better than any other England attacking players.He has showed it enough in the last few qualifiers.
If there was one player you would never he'd take part for England in the WC, it's definitely him.
Like I said there is a worse situation with Benzema in the France national team and I still see him taking part in the WC (if France qualifies) and more than that, being a starter.

All he ever does is score goals; I don't see the point in him tbh.

I know, what the feck is the point in having him on the pitch.

To be fair you cold ask the same question about Messi, Van Persie, Cavani, Heskey, Vidic and maybe Ronaldo with regards to the last WC.

If you judge players based on tournament performances then Karel Poborsky and Kleberson would probably be considered better players than most of the players in our squad at the moment.

There's no club in the world that he'll be willing to play for which will give him a payrise. If he stays he'll sign an extension on the same terms, and if he goes then odds are the club he signs for will simply match his already immense pay packet, albeit he'll likely get some kind of signing bonus. It's glaringly obvious that (this time) it's not about money.

I thought the consensus in this thread by you and everyone else was that no one has any idea what he's on, so how do you know he's on wages so immense that no other club would be able to surpass it?:confused:

Someone replied to one of my posts with that gem. I couldn't even reply. Words failed me. But it does tell me just how butt hurt some of our fans are and how much resentment they've kept bottled up from the last transfer saga and now its all exploding out in the form of the incoherent, vitriolic, nonsensical waffle churned out in this thread. I'm also convinced people are convincing themselves he's shit to make the possibility of him leaving seem like less of a big deal. Almost like a defence mechanism.

Am I the only one that thinks that if he wants to go, he'll go. If not, he won't.

All this calling him a cnut is a bit uncalled for, if he still wants to go, he knows where the door is, as long as he doesn't disrupt the team I couldn't give a shit.

I thought this was bang on from Arseblog:

As for Rooney, this is a man so surrounded by the vultures of the game that he publicly questioned the ambition of Manchester United, the most successful in England over the last 20 years, just so he could get a pay-rise. If he’s willing to act like that towards Ferguson, somebody he ought to have genuinely respected (as well as feared), then he’d take the almighty piss under another manager.

I agree with this.
I am not one of those who wants him out until it has been decided but he is not an innocent party in this. The reason he has been replaceable is because he has not been playing well enough. He is the countries most marketable player but even if he gets back to his best where does he play in the team.

I honestly your hatred for him is making you say these crazy things.Rooney is by far better than any other England attacking players.He has showed it enough in the last few qualifiers. If there was one player you would never he'd take part for England in the WC, it's definitely him. Like I said there is a worse situation with Benzema in the France national team and I still see him taking part in the WC (if France qualifies) and more than that, being a starter.

Hatred isn't something i associate with supporting football, far too overblown for most instances people apply it to.

As of recent years there is little to no evidence in the national team's truly important matches to justify Rooney being safe in his status or put on a pedestal. A bit like with United a theory could be that he'll benefit from competition and uncertain job security if you will, except if he's not keen he can't go elsewhere [he's stuck like the fans :)].

However the hype and importance around him isn't all his fault i would freely admit that, the media and to an extent managers have to take its fair share of the blame. If we are stupid and humanity and particularly the circus that surrounds England can be expert at that, we'll burden Wilshere likewise, although i do hope not.

This all began with a discussion about marketability you know. In short though, similar to his lasts season or so for United Rooney has had longer standing concerns internationally when it comes to performances and professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.