Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think because of who he plays for it gives him that much more exposure and validity.

Sure the way he exploded onto the scene as a young player helps massively,
but he joined utd at the right time and rightly got the plaudits he deserved.

You don't think Rooney would be marketable at any other top club?

Seriously though, that's in the red danger zone of retardation.

So Manchester United has nothing to do with his shirt sales? I doubt he would be as marketable as he is if he had gone to Chelsea instead of coming to us. And I can't see him having the marketing potential he has here at Real or Barcelona. Real and Barca have the real marketing deal with Ronaldo and Messi, two players (one Portuguese, the other Argentinian) culturally much closer to their Spanish clubs than Wayne Rooney would be. Not to mention that they are professionally much better at what they do than Rooney is.

Part of Rooney's appeal is him being England's golden boy from the street, playing for a famous English club with a huge history. The English version of the American dream.

But thank you anyway for calling me a retard. :D

So Manchester United has nothing to do with his shirt sales? I doubt he would be as marketable as he is if he had gone to Chelsea instead of coming to us. And I can't see him having the marketing potential he has here at Real or Barcelona. Real and Barca have the real marketing deal with Ronaldo and Messi, two players (one Portuguese, the other Argentinian) culturally much closer to their Spanish clubs than Wayne Rooney would be. Not to mention that they are professionally much better at what they do than Rooney is.

Part of Rooney's appeal is him being England's golden boy from the street, playing for a famous English club with a huge history. The English version of the American dream.

But thank you anyway for calling me a retard. :D

Did I say that? In fact, did I comment on Manchester United in anyway? Rooney is going to be marketable at any club, that's not going to suddenly stop if he leaves United, and of course it's weird to think so. He probably would not have been as marketable at Chelsea as he is at United, but that's also irrelevant and something we can never know. It also doesn't matter if he has as big a marketing potential at other clubs, the point is he will still be very much marketable. The allure of Wayne Rooney to football doesn't start and end with Manchester United.

What about Rio meeting with kenyon and his drugs ban?

-----------

We can all turn this and that to fit an agenda. People believe Sir Alex when he said Rooney asked for a transfer and yet don't believe the club want to keep him? C'mon now

The fact is people need to have some common sense. Rooney's a proven goalscorer. Stop letting your heart rule your head. This is what the media want. If the club want it? Fine, but don't take it personally. Brush it off.

It's in the clubs interests to keep the player. Rooney I reckon, will end up staying. It's a waste of time us thinking this way when we've just won the league. With the current upheaval, let's just wait and see what transpires.

All I can say is some of you come from the Kevin Keegan stable of dealing with management and we all know what happened there.
I just want players here who are proud to be United-players and Rooney isn´t one of them. So goodbye scouser

What about Rio meeting with kenyon and his drugs ban?

-----------

We can all turn this and that to fit an agenda. People believe Sir Alex when he said Rooney asked for a transfer and yet don't believe the club want to keep him? C'mon now

The fact is people need to have some common sense. Rooney's a proven goalscorer. Stop letting your heart rule your head. This is what the media want. If the club want it? Fine, but don't take it personally. Brush it off.

It's in the clubs interests to keep the player. Rooney I reckon, will end up staying. It's a waste of time us thinking this way when we've just won the league. With the current upheaval, let's just wait and see what transpires.

All I can say is some of you come from the Kevin Keegan stable of dealing with management and we all know what happened there.

Agree with your points although calling for sense in this thread might be asking a bit much ;)

Don't worry, Manchester United did are not daft. They live in the real world, they known Rooney's quality and as SAF said himself, they want Rooney to stay.

Buying top talent is looking like it is going to be quite difficult this summer. Unless we get an insane offer for Rooney he isn't going anywhere.

Don't worry, Manchester United did are not daft. They live in the real world, they known Rooney's quality and as SAF said himself, they want Rooney to stay.

Buying top talent is looking like it is going to be quite difficult this summer. Unless we get an insane offer for Rooney he isn't going anywhere.

If Rooney seriously wants to leave then he'll go. He's got 2 years left on his current deal and if sold this summer will fetch a decent price. As you say, the aren't stupid and if they aren't convinced he will stay and shut the feck up this time, or indeed if he is using this to get more money etc then he'll be off.

Personally I would be happy to see him leave this summer (abroad only) as I believe we've seen the best of him in a United shirt and his presence in the squad will only hold back Kagawa, who, in my opinion, will become a better player.

Good point. Ferguson was not vulnerable, he has and always wins, bigger at the club than Rooney. However Moyes is vulnerable being the new manager, so Rooney will be able to cause unrest much more easily by voicing his disatisfaction of being left out, or not used in the right way etc...

..probably better for the club and the long built up harmony for him to move on...

Indeed. Even with Ferguson Rooney tried to cause trouble when things didnt go his way. There is every reason to believe it will be worse with a new manager with less respect in the dressing room (no slight on Moyes, any manager will have less respect than SAF at United) next season if things dont go Rooney's way. A manager that Rooney even has a known poor personal relationship with.

I fear we could see Chelsea-esque scenes next season if we dont get rid. Rooney is a strong dressing room character from what Ive heard of player interviews etc. If he stays next year and things dont go his way Moyes' first year could become a farce. Especially if we get a slump in results and Rooney gets other players on his 'side'.

His marketability can hardly have been enhanced by his international performances for there haven't been any at a major tournament in nearly ten years, on the contrary in fact as his conduct and football should have harmed his reputation. His place as a starter for England were they to reach Brazil 2014 is by no means certain, not at all.

If this really is a factor then the club ought to consider the diminishing return he will begin to offer over the duration of the next contract even under ideal conditions.

His marketability can hardly have been enhanced by his international performances for there haven't been any at a major tournament in nearly ten years, on the contrary in fact as his conduct and football should have harmed his reputation. His place as a starter for England were they to reach Brazil 2014 is by no means certain, not at all.

If this really is a factor then the club ought to consider the diminishing return he will begin to offer over the duration of the next contract even under ideal conditions.

Really ? I mean who else could seriously challenge or what kinda other system England could play without him.Obviously things are considered now and not in a few months where players' performances will have a much bigger role

Marketability is more based on status than performance. Rooney's international performances have not altered the fact that he is still the national teams star player and as a major national team in world football and from a big footballing country he will continue to get a lot of exposure. He'd have to do a lot to not get that.

As for him playing in the next w.c. I'd be highly surprised if he's not playing if he's fit. We've taken him and other star players before him when they're barely fit, as long as he can play he'll most likely go, again he'd have to do a lot to lose that.

You don't think Rooney would be marketable at any other top club?

Seriously though, that's in the red danger zone of retardation.

This thread went full retard a long time ago, now it seems to be a competition to see who can say the most incomprehensible nonsense. He's somehow gone from obviously world class footballer, to easily replaceable, to the white El Hadji Diouf.

EngKit200513.jpg

Most marketable players don't stand in the centre, obviously.

What happened here? Rooney is obviously our marquee player and is an amazing footballer when playing well. We will obviously be hit if we were to sell him. Whether its enough for us to accept his constant flip-flop can be argued.

It is by a long way barring injury.

Really ? I mean who else could seriously challenge or what kinda other system England could play without him.Obviously things are considered now and not in a few months where players' performances will have a much bigger role

As for the system i'd want to see us use the one we put to good effect against Brazil in February. Obviously this is improved by Wilshere's presence but assuming that to be the case Hodgson should be investing his energy there.

Regarding forwards, well the ones who have either started ahead of him at the Euros in Welbeck and Carroll or Sturridge based on current form.

People on here may mock some of those names however you have to understand that Rooney has neither through his football nor his professionalism earned the status of guaranteed starter [Euro 2004 is now history rather than credit in the bank for him].

Marketability is more based on status than performance. Rooney's international performances have not altered the fact that he is still the national teams star player and as a major national team in world football and from a big footballing country he will continue to get a lot of exposure. He'd have to do a lot to not get that.

As for him playing in the next w.c. I'd be highly surprised if he's not playing if he's fit. We've taken him and other star players before him when they're barely fit, as long as he can play he'll most likely go, again he'd have to do a lot to lose that.

Last year a Manchester United was voted second player during 2012 by the England supporters, that individual was not Rooney. Wayne's status for England is propped up by past endeavours and running on fumes, unless things change drastically that fiction won't hold up for much longer not even with his sponsors. Gobbing off at the fans after drawing with Algeria in 2010, Vega and crap displays in 2012, it has to tell eventually.

Oh we'll take him to Brazil if fit, his place in the starting XI ought to be quite another matter as thigns stand.

Last edited:
Regarding forwards, well the ones who have either started ahead of him at the Euros in Welbeck and Carroll or Sturridge based on current form.

The amount of tripe in this thread in amazing. Rooney even in a bad season playing pretty much everywhere has more goals than all 3 of them and that's without even mentioning the assists

As for the system i'd want to see us use the one we put to good effect against Brazil in February, obviously this is improved by Wilshere's presence but assuming that to the the case Hodgson should be investing his energy there.

People on here may mock some of those names however you have to understand that Rooney has neither through his football nor his professionalism earned the status of guaranteed starter [Euro 2004 is now history rather than credit in the bank for him].

Last year a Manchester United was voted second player during 2012 by the England supporters, that individual was not Rooney. Wayne's status for England is propped up by past endeavours and running on fumes, unless things change drastically that fiction won't hold up for much longer not even with his sponsors. Gobbing off at the fans after losing in 2010, Vega and crap displays in 2012, it has to tell eventually.

Oh we'll take him to Brazil if fit, his place in the starting XI ought to be quite another matter as thigns stand.

Because he has really had to surpass himself, his attacking teammates have been that good so that he'd truly worry about his starting place for England.

There is still some gulf between the players you mentioned and him, same and even worse thing is Benzema for France.Benzema hasn't scored nor played well in a long while but he doesn't need to worry about his starting place because his direct competitors aren't on the same level.

I thought this was bang on from Arseblog:

As for Rooney, this is a man so surrounded by the vultures of the game that he publicly questioned the ambition of Manchester United, the most successful in England over the last 20 years, just so he could get a pay-rise. If he’s willing to act like that towards Ferguson, somebody he ought to have genuinely respected (as well as feared), then he’d take the almighty piss under another manager.

As for Rooney, this is a man so surrounded by the vultures of the game that he publicly questioned the ambition of Manchester United, the most successful in England over the last 20 years, just so he could get a pay-rise. If he’s willing to act like that towards Ferguson, somebody he ought to have genuinely respected (as well as feared), then he’d take the almighty piss under another manager.

Sadly, I feel that goes for Moyes too. If Wayne can question SAF's decision-making - ignoring Sir Alex's history of success - he's not going to rate or truly respect David Moyes.

Bang on indeed. One may reasonably ask whether Wayne respects anyone.

There is still some gulf between the players you mentioned and him, same and even worse thing is Benzema for France.Benzema hasn't scored nor played well in a long while but he doesn't need to worry about his starting place because his direct competitors aren't on the same level.

Rooney by contrast has scored in six of his last seven appearances for England, but yeah, they'll probably just play Carroll instead at the World Cup.

Yeah but still, hope he stays and gets a nice new contract... (apparently I need to note that I'm being sarcastic :))

A nice new contract? His wages should stay primarily the same. Not done enough for me to warrant getting a pay raise.

Indeed, a manager may calm his down and gain his attention again but it is only temporary until the next episode.

Rooney could go into kids toys perhaps, a Jack-in-the-box where after you've wound it a chubby goblin pops up holding out a written transfer request.

Odds of Rooney going to Arsenal have been slashed, for what it's worth.

Last year a Manchester United was voted second player during 2012 by the England supporters, that individual was not Rooney. Wayne's status for England is propped up by past endeavours and running on fumes, unless things change drastically that fiction won't hold up for much longer not even with his sponsors. Gobbing off at the fans after drawing with Algeria in 2010, Vega and crap displays in 2012, it has to tell eventually.

Yeah but that's what I said, marketability is based on status not performance, it takes a long time for poor performances to eat at that once you're established.

Again as for him starting in Brazil what will happen and what ought to happen are very different.

A nice new contract? His wages should stay primarily the same. Not done enough for me to warrant getting a pay raise.

There's no club in the world that he'll be willing to play for which will give him a payrise. If he stays he'll sign an extension on the same terms, and if he goes then odds are the club he signs for will simply match his already immense pay packet, albeit he'll likely get some kind of signing bonus. It's glaringly obvious that (this time) it's not about money.

There would be something quite funny about questioning the ambition of a team, waiting for them to win more titles and then moving to fecking Arsenal for what are supposed to be your peak years.

It surely wouldn't happen but if he did go to Arsenal, you'd have to laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.