Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
what we dont need is this to drag on all summer. moyes needs to know his play before july 1st and as soon as he's either he'd get rid of him or draw a line under it. time and time again ive said it, absolutely fantastic player but an appalling attitude toqards the club. the fact that any fan is defending 2 transfer requests in 3 years despite the original response being a huge pay packet, signing the best player in the PL and the bundesliga and winning 2 titles. he's an emphatic example of how anybody is corruptable in the soulless world that is modern football. "street player" "love of the game"....not a chance.

Rooney has all the cards right now. He's under massive contract that he can sit on for the next two years, and get a nice signing fee on the next contract; or he can ask for another bump on his wages, if the club desperate to extend his contract; or if the club decide to sell him, he can refuse or agree which club he wants to go.

If he can do that to Fergie, sure as hell he can do that to the less respected Moyes. The club want what is best for themselves, and so are the players. It's nothing new, and not at all surprising.

Rooney has all the cards right now. He's under massive contract that he can sit on for the next two years, and get a nice signing fee on the next contract; or he can ask for another bump on his wages, if the club desperate to extend his contract; or if the club decide to sell him, he can refuse or agree which club he wants to go.

If he can do that to Fergie, sure as hell he can do that to the less respected Moyes. The club want what is best for themselves, and so are the players. It's nothing new, and not at all surprising.

not so sure... if he wants to play the WC, he has to be a regular starter. With us, or somewhere else.

Hmmm don't think so. A few years ago he had the cards not now.

If he won't leave and won't sign a new contract, than he can rot on the bench/reserves. Rooney's a player that needs all the games he can get, a spell of time not playing much is gonna be bad for him, particularly with a world cup coming up. I doubt many of the other top clubs want him now, in two years time if he's barely been playing I can't see the situation improving. Plus as fans we'd all know he's being a proper knob, wouldn't be great for his personal marketability. Also you'd imagine he'd have a pretty unhappy time around Manchester with both sets of fans hating him.

If he just cares about money than yeah he has power as there will always be some rich club somewhere that'll want him. But if he still has football ambition than he's already got a limited selection of clubs without taking a pay cut, and if he did go to some random country he'd have to think of the impact on his family. In that case we hold the cards.

Regardless of he's regular or not, he'll be on the plane to Brazil. England don't really have big options on forward department. Even that donkey ponytail is in the squad now.

How is his relation with Moyes these days?

If I remember correctly they didn't really part ways on the best of terms?

Didn't Moyes even sue Rooney over some shit he wrote in his biography?

Would be interesting to know what Moyes stance on the whole saga is but I doubt we will get to hear it considering that our officials can't really say that they want to get rid of him, without significantly lowering his value.

How is his relation with Moyes these days?

If I remember correctly they didn't really part ways on the best of terms?

Didn't Moyes even sue Rooney over some shit he wrote in his biography?

Would be interesting to know what Moyes stance on the whole saga is but I doubt we will get to hear it considering that our officials can't really say that they want to get rid of him, without significantly lowering his value.

Moysey sued him and a "significant sum" was settled out of court. Rumour has it Rooney phoned Moyes to apologise and it was a sincere one by all accounts.

Still with this being the second in three years and the fact its a new manager who has sued him for a wad load of cash its a no brainer he wont be with us next season.

I think it's more likely we'll keep him. He didn't have THAT bad a season. He missed a lot of games and clearly would have done better up top. There's a lot of bs flying about and I think Moyes will want to keep him. At the end of the day, he's been a plonker. He's our plonker though.

No he didn't. In terms of productivity he was fecking ace. Yes, he can be very frustrating to watch but he delivers assists and goals. Of the listed players no one did better on average. Sure, it's only stats but it must count for something, right?
I took the stats from Transfermarkt by the way.

0ZVo9sv.png

Hmmm don't think so. A few years ago he had the cards not now.

If he won't leave and won't sign a new contract, than he can rot on the bench/reserves. Rooney's a player that needs all the games he can get, a spell of time not playing much is gonna be bad for him, particularly with a world cup coming up. I doubt many of the other top clubs want him now, in two years time if he's barely been playing I can't see the situation improving. Plus as fans we'd all know he's being a proper knob, wouldn't be great for his personal marketability. Also you'd imagine he'd have a pretty unhappy time around Manchester with both sets of fans hating him.

If he just cares about money than yeah he has power as there will always be some rich club somewhere that'll want him. But if he still has football ambition than he's already got a limited selection of clubs without taking a pay cut, and if he did go to some random country he'd have to think of the impact on his family. In that case we hold the cards.

It depends on the price. If United open the bid at 20m, I'm sure many big and sugar daddy clubs would want him. Or United can let a 250k/wk player rot on the bench, while losing his transfer value as the time goes on. And the mising opportunity to buy new player with money generated if the club sold him earlier.

I exaggerate with 'hold all the cards', but surely Rooney has the upper hand. It's happened with us selling Beckham and Ruud for such a low price before. I won't be surprised if we sell Rooney and Nani on dirt cheap next.

It depends on the price. If United open the bid at 20m, I'm sure many big and sugar daddy clubs would want him. Or United can let a 250k/wk player rot on the bench, while losing his transfer value as the time goes on. And the mising opportunity to buy new player with money generated if the club sold him earlier.

I exaggerate with 'hold all the cards', but surely Rooney has the upper hand. It's happened with us selling Beckham and Ruud for such a low price before. I won't be surprised if we sell Rooney and Nani on dirt cheap next.

Well yeah if we put the price down it'll tempt clubs but the main thing I imagine is his wages, which are very high and would cost a lot in some of the other european countries with the various tax laws.

Becks wasn't that low, 26ish mil was a lot of money then, still is now. I agree we can sell players on the cheap though and do think if Nani goes we won't get much but it's a different situation with Rooney again because of his wages.

I wouldn't say either party has a big advantage but this time we're in a much better position than we were last time. Rooney can't really try and hold out for a bigger contract if we don't want to give it to him because we're by all accounts open to the possibility of selling him. Once that happens the player has lost his main card.

I would love it if a top club froze out a player for two years in rooney's situation just to prove a point. Think player power is getting a bit out of control, and now even chairmen are getting into the act.

I would love it if a top club froze out a player for two years in rooney's situation just to prove a point. Think player power is getting a bit out of control, and now even chairmen are getting into the act.

Chelsea did that to Malouda for comments he made about Di Matteo's training methods. He has spent the past 12 months training with the under 18s picking up 80 grand a week.

I don't think it really proves a point , it's cost us £4 million quid and for what?

Chelsea did that to Malouda for comments he made about Di Matteo's training methods. He has spent the past 12 months training with the under 18s picking up 80 grand a week.

I don't think it really proves a point , it's cost us £4 million quid and for what?

It stops your players speaking out of turn when they shouldn't.

Well in the case of Chelsea the cost clearly doesn't matter since Roman pays for everything, but I agree with the general point - having players on full pay whilst wasting a year of their careers doesn't seem the answer.

I'm not sure that would even help the image of the club in terms of making them appear strong, rather that it would make them appear petty.

Whats the summary? Still a coouple of bollocks media speculations and no concrete news on whats going on?

If SAF hadn't said anything in his interview about Rooney wanting to leave, I wonder how different the general attitude would be on here...

Whats the summary? Still a coouple of bollocks media speculations and no concrete news on whats going on?

- Rooney subbed off or dropped from some matches mainly as a result of poor form over 2012/13. New signing RVP earned hero status among the fans during that time.
- Daily Mail article.
- Sir Alex reveals in Sky interview that Rooney isn't presently focused on his game after having asked to leave the club.
- Rooney and his people say that he wanted 'assurances' over his future and hasn't made a written transfer request [not specifically accused of such].
- Bayern Munich rule themselves out of any bidding, Chelsea and PSG are said by the press to be interested.

The most recent RedCafe poll revealed that three-quarters of those surveyed would sell Rooney.

- Rooney subbed off or dropped from some matches mainly mainly as a result of poor form over 2012/13. New signing RVP earned hero status among the fans during that time.
- Daily Mail article.
- Sir Alex reveals in Sky interview that Rooney isn't presently focused on his game after having asked to leave the club.
- Rooney and his people say that he wanted 'assurances' over his future and hasn't made a written transfer request [not specifically accused of such].
- Bayern Munich rule themselves out of any bidding, Chelsea and PSG are said by the press to be interested.

The most recent RedCafe poll revealed that three-quarters of those surveyed would sell Rooney.

You missed the biggest twist in the tale.

Wayne Rooney, of sane mind, named his son Klay.

I thought Fergie handled the problem when Rooney first wanted to leave exceptionally well. Why on earth would someone with such a fierce competitive spirit as Rooney ever want to just sit on a contract. I always find the sitting on a contract argument to be silly.

Im talking from the Newbs. I think I sent him a message from the newbs not long after he was promoted and changed to Cunto that I thought it was hilarious.

When I saw it I literally laughed out loud.. Honestly this story is more riveting than the Rooney saga.

Im talking from the Newbs. I think I sent him a message from the newbs not long after he was promoted and changed to Cunto that I thought it was hilarious.

When I saw it I literally laughed out loud.. Honestly this story is more riveting than the Rooney saga.

:lol:

I remember that.

If SAF hadn't said anything in his interview about Rooney wanting to leave, I wonder how different the general attitude would be on here...

Good point.
This thread was still getting silly before SAF said what he did though because the papers were filled with speculation already. Rooney to PSG and Rooney to Bayern rumours were already in full swing and they were also saying he'd handed in a transfer request. A lot more on here wanted him to stay though and were fairly dismissive of the rumours, I'm guessing it would have stayed mostly like that. SAF saying what he did means most fans now want Rooney gone. Might that have been SAFs intention? Only time will tell. I'm still struggling to separate the facts from the bullshit. Papers churn crap out every day, the same paper will one day print a story that Rooney is adamant he wants to leave, then he's done a u-turn, then he's fearing being forced out by the club. I'll just wait and see how it plays out. I don't understand the vitriol by our fans at all but I won't tell anyone how to react. I guess most people are taking that stance as a defence mechanism, in case he does go. Personally I 100% want him to stay. Still our best player on form for me and this seasons poor form is being massively exaggerated.

I thought Fergie handled the problem when Rooney first wanted to leave exceptionally well. Why on earth would someone with such a fierce competitive spirit as Rooney ever want to just sit on a contract. I always find the sitting on a contract argument to be silly.

Not sillier than the argument that the club would let him rot on the bench just to 'make a point'. If the club keeps him against his wish, he could be sulky all year long (playing with his heart not on it, etc.) and be a detriment to the team.

As it's happened in the past, United has to sell him below the market price (for his caliber), low enough for the club that he wants to move, is willing to buy him. As I mentioned before, good player (like Rooney) has the upper hand over the club.

RvP would let his contract run down, if Arsenal didn't want to sell him. I'm sure there were other club(s) that were willing to pay more than us, but his heart was set on United, and we got a world class striker below the market price. There's nothing Arsenal could do about it.

We couldn't promise Pogba more playing time, and didn't want to pay his agent fee. So, he let his contract time up, and we got $0 for all the time we invested. And there's nothing the club could do against his wishes.

Other players that have to be sold cheaper: Fabregas, Mascherano, Alonso, Beckham, Ruud, Ozil, etc. Players leaving for free against the club wishes: Owen, McManaman, Campbel, Sahin, etc.

No he didn't. In terms of productivity he was fecking ace. Yes, he can be very frustrating to watch but he delivers assists and goals. Of the listed players no one did better on average. Sure, it's only stats but it must count for something, right?
I took the stats from Transfermarkt by the way.

0ZVo9sv.png

The 'average' section as you've charted it here is entirely meaningless. It looks like you've just plotted the midway point between the goals and assists ratios; the data produced tells very little about a player's overall productivity in relation to minutes played.

For example, a player who over the course of the season played 3,000 minutes, scored 150 goals but only registered a single assist would have a ridiculous 'average' of 1,490 minutes on your chart. He'd easily have been the most productive player in the league and yet your average column would make him look rather poor in comparison to the others.

For a meaningful depiction you need to add the goals and assists together before dividing the minutes by this total; it's not an average as such, but only because averages in terms of the ratios you're trying to describe don't really work:

Javier Hernandez: 64mins
Robin van Persie: 76mins
Romelu Lukaku: 84mins
Luis Suarez: 87mins
Wayne Rooney: 92mins
Gareth Bale: 97mins
Juan Mata: 97mins
Adam le Fondre: 108mins
Michu: 143mins

It puts Rooney on average at either a goal or an assist in more or less in every league game, which isn't bad at all; though the statistic certainly doesn't make him out as being the most productive attacker in the Premier League as does your entirely irrelevant 'average' column above.

The Glazers would never allow Rooney to rot in the reserves for a year - they are businessmen and that would be a terrible business decision.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Fergie has deliberately played Rooney to get him out. Fergie is not a forgiving person by all accounts and whenever players have crossed or questioned him, it has always ended badly for the player in question. If anything, it was hugely out of character for SAF to have given in to Rooneys demands back in 2010.

I doubt Fergie ever forgot or forgave Rooney for that incident, he just realised that had Rooney been forced out back then it would have been disastrous for the team. Now though, Fergie is retiring and the club is in a far stronger position to continue without Rooney. SAF heard some murmurings of discontent again from the Rooney camp and, knowing that Rooney has had a poor relationship with Moyes, has made the decision to actively alienate Rooney from the fans by mentioning that he had asked to leave. This after he apparently didn't want to play in Fergies last home game - Rooney was well and truly painted as the villain, and now most fans want rid, meaning Moyes can come in, dispose of Rooney and all his baggage, and the fans will still be on-side.

The 'average' section as you've charted it here is entirely meaningless. It looks like you've just plotted the midway point between the goals and assists ratios; the data produced tells very little about a player's overall productivity in relation to minutes played.

For example, a player who over the course of the season played 3,000 minutes, scored 150 goals but only registered a single assist would have a ridiculous 'average' of 1,490 minutes on your chart. He'd easily have been the most productive player in the league and yet your average column would make him look rather poor in comparison to the others.

For a meaningful depiction you need to add the goals and assists together before dividing the minutes by this total; it's not an average as such, but averages in terms of the ratios you're trying to describe aren't entirely relevant:

Javier Hernandez: 64mins
Robin van Persie: 76mins
Romelu Lukaku: 84mins
Luis Suarez: 87mins
Wayne Rooney: 92mins
Gareth Bale: 97mins
Juan Mata: 97mins
Adam le Fondre: 108mins
Michu: 143mins

It puts Rooney on average at either a goal or an assist in more or less in every league game, which isn't bad at all; though the statistic certainly doesn't make him out as being the most productive attacker in the Premier League as does your entirely irrelevant 'average' column above.

Looking at the players listed, Rooney's spent more time in midfield than any of them, bar Mata.

The Glazers would never allow Rooney to rot in the reserves for a year - they are businessmen and that would be a terrible business decision.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Fergie has deliberately played Rooney to get him out. Fergie is not a forgiving person by all accounts and whenever players have crossed or questioned him, it has always ended badly for the player in question. If anything, it was hugely out of character for SAF to have given in to Rooneys demands back in 2010.

I doubt Fergie ever forgot or forgave Rooney for that incident, he just realised that had Rooney been forced out back then it would have been disastrous for the team. Now though, Fergie is retiring and the club is in a far stronger position to continue without Rooney. SAF heard some murmurings of discontent again from the Rooney camp and, knowing that Rooney has had a poor relationship with Moyes, has made the decision to actively alienate Rooney from the fans by mentioning that he had asked to leave. This after he apparently didn't want to play in Fergies last home game - Rooney was well and truly painted as the villain, and now most fans want rid, meaning Moyes can come in, dispose of Rooney and all his baggage, and the fans will still be on-side.

Good post and that's what I have been thinking for sometime.

My concern is I don't believe the squad is good enough without Rooney and Saf to mount a serious title challenge.

Kagawa looks like he has all the attributes with the exception of one and that is strength on the ball. He is currently not strong enough to be an effective number 10 in the PL.

Either keeping Rooney or getting a ready made replacement is going to be Moyes's biggest job this summer.

I agree some points you've made are quite likely, like the painting as a villain bit. SAF knew what the consequences of that would be with the fans (unless he expected speaking publicly about it might provoke a similar style u-turn from Rooney to 2010?). I do struggle to believe SAF would pursue a personal vendetta to the detriment of the club though. It'll be interesting to watch and see how this plays out. Moyes won't be blamed if we sell Rooney as he's already been painted as a treacherous villain, which is the narrative that fans have lapped up, and he will possibly be praised if he convinces Rooney to stay and get back to top form. It's perfectly poised for Moyes really so it'll be interested to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.