Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade with Tottenham for Bale and 15£ mil?? :) Would be a bargain!

Otherwise I would like to see Rooney leave to PSG, another thing, Rooney doesn't deserve the chance to be our alltime greatest goalscorer!

At least he didn't cartwheel down the pitch playing for our neighbours after they scored against us.

:smirk:

United grew tired of his bullshit. That seems an obvious conclusion. And he wasn't expecting it to go public, which is why the story from Rooney's camp appeared today. And it's a stupid version of events, so it definitely came from Rooney's camp.

Here's my conspiracy: Fergie knew Rooney -Moyes was going to be a problem and Rooney gave him the opportunity to get rid of the problem by handing in a transfer request. Fergie took it and Rooney's camp were very surprised Fergie went public because it killed their chance for a higher contract. Now Rooney's camp is scrambling.

Smart business by United, IMO
I think the 2010 experience has deterred Rooney from going public himself, I imagine he's got a slightly different version of events but doesn't want to go against Fergie again especially in the height of his popularity as it is now, he knows no one will side with him.

My conspiracy is such he probably has denied handing in a transfer request, hence the talksport and paper stories saying as much, most likely the conversation with Fergie was a heated discussion on the clearly diminishing faith shown in him and he stipulated if he's no longer a valuable member of the team he wants to leave. The fact the manager has taken this to be a transfer request and went public with it shows he doesn't think of him as a particularly valuable player to the team anymore and gives credence to the notion we're happy to force him out.

Crazy that this actually might be happening, just hope he's well replaced.

He's only this because of the club he plays for.
If Falcao came here (I don't think he will), he'd be more marketable.

I disagree .

Rooney burst onto the scene in style at just 16 and then made himself an international name at Euro 2004 aged just 18. He's been a huge name in football for 10 years now, playing in the most popular league in the world and playing for one the international sides that gets the most exposure.

He's got a fairly unique marketability - wonderkid, street footballer from a rough area who plays with a passion and aggression that sometimes causes him to explode. He was marketed well earlier in his career and now he's one of the biggest names of football. The off pitch drama that follows him is a sign of that, and in turn further cements his notoriety.

He's far more marketable than players like Falcao or RVP will ever be.

I disagree .

Rooney burst onto the scene in style at just 16 and then made himself an international name at Euro 2004 aged just 18. He's been a huge name in football for 10 years now, playing in the most popular league in the world and playing for one the international sides that gets the most exposure.

He's got a fairly unique marketability - wonderkid, street footballer from a rough area who plays with a passion and aggression that sometimes causes him to explode. He was marketed well earlier in his career and now he's one of the biggest names of football. The off pitch drama that follows him is a sign of that, and in turn further cements his notoriety.

I fail to see anything here to change my mind.
You highlight that he was known about in his Everton time, but this was hardly a period illustrating huge marketing in his name.
The rest of the time, he has been at United.
While not proving my point, it does nothing to strengthen yours.
Only his leaving, would give some indication one way or the other, and even then, his fame has already been established at United.

I think that Rooney is ill-advised. I am hopeful that a talk by Gary Neville and the David Moyes will convince him to shelve his transfer request. However i am concerned that should he stay he always has a propensity to put in a transfer request when his form dips.

Somehow i remain midly optimistic that he will remain a United Player. Having said that i would not have imagined that Sir Alex would leave us so in a way anything is possible in football.

Well the personalities, backgrounds, temperament, etc. of the players is important when you're talking about their marketing value. I think Rowem is right when he points out the 'street footballer from a rough area' side of Rooney, it enables the general public to identify with him. That rough side, tough as nails, fights and covers every blade of grass (which is/was a trait of Rooney) is an important factor to how we market him as a club. If most football fans were from artistic backgrounds or were strongly religious, then maybe RvP and Falcao would be real assets from that point of view. It's not the case, football fans as people are closer to Rooney (and what he vehiculates as values) than the other two, which is what Rowem was trying to say, I think.

I fail to see anything here to change my mind.
You highlight that he was known about in his Everton time, but this was hardly a period illustrating huge marketing in his name.
The rest of the time, he has been at United.
While not proving my point, it does nothing to strengthen yours.
Only his leaving, would give some indication one way or the other, and even then, his fame has already been established at United.

Eh? Did I suggest that his fame was not massively boosted playing for United or would tail off if he left? No.

You've gone from claiming that Falcao would be more marketable at United than Rooney is to something completely different altogether...

Eric Cantona was from an artistic background, not that it matters.
These stories and whimsies are peddled to satisfy the craving of an enamoured public.
This is dependent on the audience being there.

Name some highly marketable players that don't and haven't played for a Mega Euoropean club?

These stars are made by association.

I'll bet that there are lower league players that have amazing life stories, but you'll never hear them.

Eh? Did I suggest that his fame was not massively boosted playing for United or would tail off if he left? No.

You've gone from claiming that Falcao would be more marketable at United than Rooney is to something completely different altogether...

Where in this do you credit United for his celebrity?

Originally Posted by Rowem View Post
I disagree .

Not that I care either way what you think. I pointed that out in my reply, that we could could not prove what was responsible.

I also said that Falcao would be more marketable at United.
Can you show me where I said more so than Rooney.

If you want to make up shit to argue with, don't quote me during it.:rolleyes:

What if he doesn't want to go to France and if we don't want to sell to a domestic rival?

In short, you mean we can't find a buyer at all?

Then he will have to rot on the bench. :)

Agree with that sentiment, no way he should be seen as being ahead of the other forwards at the club. If he signs a new deal Rooney should feel it in the pocket too, for all intents and purposes he would be on probation.

Where in this do you credit United for his celebrity?

It goes without saying.

I also said that Falcao would be more marketable at United.
Can you show me where I said more so than Rooney.

Well if that was indeed your point then that's fine and we can agree, but you can surely see how your original comment was extremely ambiguous in that regard, especially given that it was a response to a comment that was a comparison between Rooney and Falcao's marketability.

I'm sick of this saga and it's not even June. No one is bigger than this club and I'd be embarrassed if we offered him a new contract on such high wages as he simply doesn't deserve them. Likewise it would be madness if we let his contract run down to a year and lost him for peanuts next year or free the year after. Only solution I see is getting rid.

my thoughts exactly

I hate how Rooney has done this again, fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice... feck off Wayne Rooney.

Even if he does end up staying, he is not bigger than the club and in no way should Moyes cater to Wayne's desires. If he stays... possible contract issues the very near future, all the negative press that is going to put United in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons when he has a bad game... which happens quite a lot these days for a player of his supposed "quality". No player should be able to hold a club hostage like Rooney has even the first time around in 2010.

Just get rid of him already, please.

my thoughts exactly

I hate how Rooney has done this again, fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice... feck off Wayne Rooney.

Even if he does end up staying, he is not bigger than the club and in no way should Moyes cater to Wayne's desires. If he stays... possible contract issues the very near future, all the negative press that is going to put United in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons when he has a bad game... which happens quite a lot these days for a player of his supposed "quality". No player should be able to hold a club hostage like Rooney has even the first time around in 2010.

Just get rid of him already, please.

That could be a chant.

What if he doesn't want to go to France and if we don't want to sell to a domestic rival?

If he doesnt want to move abroad but still wants to leave United then he might have a problem. I doubt we will sell to a domestic rival like Chelsea. Im pretty sure the staff realize the repercussions. We sort of have the upper hand. He has two years left. So if he doesnt want to leave then he is going to be left as backup CAM to Kagawa and play only when there are injuries. When the news first broke out, I was in favor of even selling him to Chelsea, if he wanted to leave for sure that is, and get at least £35-40m and rebuild. But having thought about it, I dont want to anymore. We can get the money needed for transfers from the Glazers since we have been doing well revenue the past few years.

Would be hilarious if he ends up our top scorer of all time now, the grimaced faces of the posters on here would be a picture.

Would be hilarious if he ends up our top scorer of all time now, the grimaced faces of the posters on here would be a picture.

Some people are just whinging cnuts. If he wants out good luck. 9 years of goals, trophies and running his bollocks off. Great moments and a huge part of our success...if he goes abroad ;)

Part of me would be very interested to see what Adnan Junazaj and Nick Powell were capable of.

Very interested indeed.

They are talented indeed but no where near first team ready. They need a season or two on loan to see how they do against real competition. But then again Moyes is known to give players a crack at first team football at a very young age, so you never know.

If he goes abroad and we get a shitload of money then fair enough I suppose, but if he goes to Chelsea or city he can feck himself

They are talented indeed but no where near first team ready. They need a season or two on loan to see how they do against real competition. But then again Moyes is known to give players a crack at first team football at a very young age, so you never know.

I know...it's more a thought rather than an expectation...I just wonder what a player like Januzaj or Powell would make of 'All right lad, you're in'.

I'd just be fascinated to see exactly how they'd take it. Would they play without fear/pressure or would it all be too much for them? I remember watching Barkley's debut for Everton and he grabbed it by the bollocks.

Other than being on 500k/week I just don't see the upside of Rooney going to Chelsea from his point of view.

If he's already been eclipsed by the shadow of RvP at United what the hell does he expect to happen at the bridge? Their wallet knows no limits and whether it's Falcao or Cavani or (or both...or many more in addition to both) whoever they bring in, they're bringing in a pure striker either to replace or supplement Torres. Then you have Hazard and Mata, who have both already eclipsed Rooney as a creative force. Mata by some distance IMHO. And Oscar is only going to get better, and he's already pretty ridiculous. The morons with TalkSport this morning (afternoon in the UK) were purring over the prospect of Rooney joining CFC, but what they really need is a pure striker (or two), not Rooney.

If he needs to escape the shadow of RvP I have a hard time seeing which club would allow him to be the sun and the moon for his team. PSG? Sorry, but that's Zlatan's club. There's room for Roo's services there, but there's no way he'll be the main man, which many suspect is what he so badly craves. Real? That's a distinct possiblity -- if Ronaldo leaves. I'd do a deal for Ronaldo for Rooney + 25m in a heartbeat. But Real wants to rebuild and who knows who else they'll bring in? Forget Barcelona. I could see City, but I don't see Roo being daft enough to push for that unless the sheik throws in a few oil wells. Arsenal? Sure, but then why would Roo want that shit? No way will Wenger pay what he'd want and I'm sure Roo wants to continue winning important trophies, a remote possibility for Arsenal anytime soon. Forget Bayern. Forget Spurs, although a I'd do a straight swap for Bale. There's always Turkish clubs, but that's worse than relegation and I'm not even sure they could pay what Roo makes now. That leaves Anzhi or however it's spelled or some ridiculous club in China or Japan and I just don't see that happening.

Is this all a chess match in contract negotiations? Did Roo in fact submit a transfer request? Is this some kind of mind game created by Fergie to get Roo's head screwed on right? I have no idea. I'm just a dude who schleps to an office every day, but my gut tells me Roo isn't going anywhere. We shall see.

Well PSG might not be Ibra's club for long. There must be something wrong with him since he wants to change clubs every summer. So maybe PSG are buying Rooney to lead their line? With the likes of Pastore and Lucas playing behind him?

Well given the amount of leeway they've given Torres, Rooney could probably play half as well as he did this season and they'd still keep playing him every game. I could understand him at Chelsea as he would be the out and out striker, the 3 players behind him are top quality and will only get better and with the world cup coming up, may be he wants to be in as good goal scoring form as he can be.

That's the thing, if he wants a way or is having concerns etc and he thinks he needs a fresh start then I think that's fair enough, yes we pay him well but he's done his part to earn that money over his time here.

But if he wants to go because he can't take the competition for places or accept that he's been playing poorly as justification for not always finishing games, starting the big game or being moved around then that's when it's wrong, cause it means he holds himself to a higher standard. In that case we should get well rid, he should want to fight for his place, not have it guaranteed.

I've said before I'd rather keep him, again the stats suggest he's not done much worse than Bale/Mata the standout players playing off a main striker this season in the pl. We know though that he's not always played his best and that he can do more. If he gets his priorities right he's still a top player. RVP is right in the middle of his peak, I'd rather have Rooney around, someone wh's just entering his peak to pick up the mantle than not.

At the same time I wouldn't say loosing him would be a big loss any more, if the money is reinvested we can adapt without him.

Other than being on 500k/week I just don't see the upside of Rooney going to Chelsea from his point of view.

If he's already been eclipsed by the shadow of RvP at United what the hell does he expect to happen at the bridge? Their wallet knows no limits and whether it's Falcao or Cavani or (or both...or many more in addition to both) whoever they bring in, they're bringing in a pure striker either to replace or supplement Torres. Then you have Hazard and Mata, who have both already eclipsed Rooney as a creative force. Mata by some distance IMHO. And Oscar is only going to get better, and he's already pretty ridiculous. The morons with TalkSport this morning (afternoon in the UK) were purring over the prospect of Rooney joining CFC, but what they really need is a pure striker (or two), not Rooney.

If he needs to escape the shadow of RvP I have a hard time seeing which club would allow him to be the sun and the moon for his team. PSG? Sorry, but that's Zlatan's club. There's room for Roo's services there, but there's no way he'll be the main man, which many suspect is what he so badly craves. Real? That's a distinct possiblity -- if Ronaldo leaves. I'd do a deal for Ronaldo for Rooney + 25m in a heartbeat. But Real wants to rebuild and who knows who else they'll bring in? Forget Barcelona. I could see City, but I don't see Roo being daft enough to push for that unless the sheik throws in a few oil wells. Arsenal? Sure, but then why would Roo want that shit? No way will Wenger pay what he'd want and I'm sure Roo wants to continue winning important trophies, a remote possibility for Arsenal anytime soon. Forget Bayern. Forget Spurs, although a I'd do a straight swap for Bale. There's always Turkish clubs, but that's worse than relegation and I'm not even sure they could pay what Roo makes now. That leaves Anzhi or however it's spelled or some ridiculous club in China or Japan and I just don't see that happening.

Is this all a chess match in contract negotiations? Did Roo in fact submit a transfer request? Is this some kind of mind game created by Fergie to get Roo's head screwed on right? I have no idea. I'm just a dude who schleps to an office every day, but my gut tells me Roo isn't going anywhere. We shall see.

Good analysis. Makes a lot of sense.

I reckon Rooney has again pulled a massive boner in his actions, and this time round isn't nearly as important as he was last time round.
Back then we were all sh!T worried, and it was huge.
Now it's a bit of an inconvenience and we'd cope.

I expect there will be a big song and dance of an agreement, followed by a new contract.
Rooney's camp will give it loads of he never really wanted to leave, he just wanted to be loved.
And Moyes and Fergie will say he's a good lad was just uncertain and was never leaving.

I think it's more likely we'll keep him. He didn't have THAT bad a season. He missed a lot of games and clearly would have done better up top. There's a lot of bs flying about and I think Moyes will want to keep him. At the end of the day, he's been a plonker. He's our plonker though.

Again, if he does stay he'll only have one year left after this season and negotiations/transfer rumors will all start up again. Does anyone really want to deal with any of that.

I hope he leaves, and pronto.

Again, if he does stay he'll only have one year left after this season and negotiations/transfer rumors will all start up again. Does anyone really want to deal with any of that.

I hope he leaves, and pronto.

If he stays then he will get a new deal out of this.

It would 'cost' Rooney nothing if he mentioned publicly that he doesn't actually want to leave United; he hasn't done this and, for me, that's quite telling.

It would 'cost' Rooney nothing if he mentioned publicly that he doesn't actually want to leave United; he hasn't done this and, for me, that's quite telling.

exactly, all he has to do is to come out and say he wants to stay

Everything else (contract negotiations) would probably be handled much more easily by all parties involved if he did this.

I don't think that him wanting to leave is even in question at this point though, I think what remains is whether we can/want to get him to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.