Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s be honest too, majority of the times he’s used that amazing slide tackle is because he’s been exposed in the other aspects of his defending. Everything always felt recovery/last ditch with him.
Sometimes that's certainly true, but I wouldn't say 'majority' of times. It's something he obviously does deliberately, giving opposition wingers just enough space that they think they can get past him and then he just somehow manages to stick the leg in to knock the ball away anyway. He knows he's unbelievably good at it so he entices the opposition to do it.

Personally, I think his 1v1 defending has actually declined slightly over the years, as has his ability to block crosses. He used to be probably the best I'd ever seen in both aspects in his first season or two here. While he's still very very good (probably the best in the league), I feel he's not quite as good as he once was. Especially on blocking crosses. On the flip side, he has improved his aerial ability and at defending the back post. He's still not good at them but it's no longer the huge glaring weakness that it once was.

5M payoff apparently

I am speechless. Even when we are trying to sell players forget about getting a good sum, now we have to pay them to leave? Does this happen to every big club? What next? If we have to sell mctominay we have to pay him off too? Maguire? Every player now?

Let’s be honest too, majority of the times he’s used that amazing slide tackle is because he’s been exposed in the other aspects of his defending. Everything always felt recovery/last ditch with him.

Remember this being said about Paul McShane, last ditch recovery tackles to make up for a mistake somewhere else along the way.

I never liked AWB as a player, technically lacking, his defensive reading of the game and positioning is for the most part awful and on the attacking front he was always found wanting.

Never should have been a Utd player to begin with and I have no idea how anyone thought spending 50m on him was a good idea.

Thank feck he's finally going.

I am speechless. Even when we are trying to sell players forget about getting a good sum, now we have to pay them to leave? Does this happen to every big club? What next? If we have to sell mctominay we have to pay him off too? Maguire? Every player now?

Well it depends on their contract. You’re forgetting he doesn’t have to go anywhere, he could happily sit on the bench for another 12 months before leaving for free and getting a big sign on fee.

Arsenal did this with a lot of players the last few years. Sometimes you just have to get them gone.

Last edited:
It was apparently stipulated in his contract

We are having to suck it up for the mistakes of our past. It won't be a thing long term. The new guys are far too savvy for that, as evidenced by the costs involved in our new signings in terms of wages/amortisation etc.

At this point we just have to be thankful he's moved on and we don't repeat the same mistakes in the future. Nothing wrong on Wan Bissakas part, just the obsession with re-sale value when they were never going to be in the new managers plans. The new footballing operations department should solve this.

Arsenal did this with a lot of players the last few years. Sometimes you just have to get them gobe.

In fact I'm not sure they even got a fee in return in a lot of cases. As I remember it they had to negotiate mutual agreements to terminate the contracts of some of their players just to get them out of the club.

It’s normal

In fact I'm not sure they even got a fee in return in a lot of cases. As I remember it they had to negotiate mutual agreements to terminate the contracts of some of their players just to get them out of the club.

Yeah, they paid Pepe off to leave on a free last September and he still had 1 year left on his deal.

There's a lot of the financial game and capital moving around we are not privy with as general audiences, including agent fees and signature bonuses. Plus whatever sell-on clauses might be attached, we're not aware of that all the time and sometimes those expire too.

Selling a player is probably only "profitable" when you sell them substantially higher than bought for.

This seems like a mistake. One of our biggest issues last season was a lack of fullbacks. Just yesterday we played Pellistri right back. Just seems insane to force a natural tight back out of the club for hardly any money too.

It’s normal
Correct. The whole percentage of a +1 option is a new one on me, but if a player is sold under contract without asking for a transfer then it's normal for them to get an agreed amount of the wage they're giving up. This has been the case for years as far as I know.

Last edited:

Golden handshake is common, but let's see if any of the reliable ones report this.

This seems like a mistake. One of our biggest issues last season was a lack of fullbacks. Just yesterday we played Pellistri right back. Just seems insane to force a natural tight back out of the club for hardly any money too.
Fullbacks are incredibly important to ball progression in the modern game if you want to be proactive.

Wan-Bissaka is very poor at that so has no place here

A lot more common than you think when selling players to subsidise their drop in wages, don’t let the fact it’s United and a media dream fool you into rage.

It's definitely the right call to move him on. His ball playing aside, I never felt any real drive, hunger or determination from him, and while AWB always seeming cool and collected was perhaps a good thing in some of our important matches (defensive performances against PSG come to mind), this sort of mentality must surely affect the whole team in a negative way.

You know we are signing a RB right? Pallestri played yesterday cos the new signing isn't in yet

If it needs to be done.

Players getting a payoff when they are transferred away is not a new thing and definitely not just a United thing. The reason players avoid transfer requests until it’s absolutely necessary is because if they ask for the transfer they forfeit their loyalty bonus due when the club takes the decision to sell them.

I rate AWB more than a lot here but quite simply he’s not good enough to play for a club like ours.

The club should, and must always honor their contracts.

Exit terms still being agreed? I thought they were already..

The mistake is we should never have bought him, good player for CP and will do well for West Ham.
For the level we aspire to get back to he really isn't good enough.

You know we are signing a RB right? Pallestri played yesterday cos the new signing isn't in yet
Yes I know we’re signing a RB. Injury prone one none the less. How does that put us in a better position numbers wise than last season? The fact that we’re down to Pellistri as a back up doesn’t bode well.

Yes I know we’re signing a RB. Injury prone one none the less. How does that put us in a better position numbers wise than last season? The fact that we’re down to Pellistri as a back up doesn’t bode well.
Why don’t we just wait to see if he can prove his fitness rather than writing him off straightaway due to the injuries he has had?

No one knows what will happen as he might end up surprising everyone by staying match fit over the course of the season? Time will tell I suppose.

Why don’t we just wait to see if he can prove his fitness rather than writing him off straightaway due to the injuries he has had?

No one knows what will happen as he might end up surprising everyone by staying match fit over the course of the season? Time will tell I suppose.
I’m not writing him off. He’s injury record is very bad though and so is ours. The point I’m trying to make is after the fullback crisis we had last season we’re not bolstering the numbers.

How many right backs do we need?

Dalot is first choice, Mazraoui deputy (and can play left back too)

We won't be happy he's at West Ham, when we play West Ham.
He’s the best 1v1 defender in the league, granted. However, he’s average at everything else related to defending and bottom half material going forward in terms of Premier League full backs, so I’m confident he won’t be the difference maker against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.