Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why shouldn't he be paid the difference? We signed a contract and should honour it. He would be an idiot not to demand the difference.

He should. And everyone complaining here would be defending someone we're signing if they were doing the same with their previous club before signing. Guaranteed De Ligt is getting paid plenty in his deal too, dont see anyone suggesting he shouldnt be.

Its frustrating for us sure, because we want to see things done quickly but thats on the club not getting it done sooner in the transfer window.

It's business at the end of the day. AWB and his agent will want to be paid according to what was agreed. Find me a player that would gladly walk away from the cash

I repeat I don't recall many players in similar situations at other clubs doing the same. I hope that we learn the business thing though and we become more ruthless with players. Nothing personal, just business right?

It seems the agents have run right over United's money men for years.

Woodward and Co have caused so much damage over a long period of time and it might take a couple more years to finally move on from their disastrous tenure.

Woodward should be forced to do the walk of shame through the streets of Manchester.

What a weird tweet. "Blame the accountants" as if there is something strange going on. Yes, it's a 12m profit because United have already lost 47m. In total it's a 35m loss, which surprise surprise is the difference between what he was bought and sold for.
What do you mean we have lost £35m when he has fulfilled the terms of his contract and was instrumental in two seasons where we qualified for the CL consecutively and played the Europa Final? He was also central in shutting out two dangerous LWs in the Cups we did win. We are moving in a different direction but we haven't lost money on him.

What do you mean we have lost £35m when he has fulfilled the terms of his contract and was instrumental in two seasons where we qualified for the CL consecutively and played the Europa Final? He was also central in shutting out two dangerous LWs in the Cups we did win. We are moving in a different direction but we haven't lost money on him.
Please evaluate basic finance. Wan bissaka came in for 50million and United are selling for 12 -15mill. His value hasn't gone up and the value has depreciated significantly given how much he is leaving for. Giving him credit for cup wins and shutting down fullbacks is nice (even though it is his basic job to do it), I suppose it was also nice of you not to include the numerous matches he cost the team. He should never have joined Manchester united given his technical flaws and now he is dragging out a seemingly easy transfer to Westham.

So a player can instigate a transfer - perhaps even by refusing to play - and no repercussions so long as the club reluctantly agree to it? But a club can't instigate a transfer, to which the player also has to agree, without paying off the remaining contract that he won't see out?

It sounds more like a one sided thing and reflective of how things have swung over too much toward the whole 'player power' in many instances rather than them being subordinates and in weaker positions. Hence why once a player wants to move, its pretty much going to get done. But when we're desperate to offload players who are happy to sit on their contracts, there's little we can do.

Anyway, that's all related to my second question, though. The first was asking how much a team like PSG would be likely to have to pay after opting to sell Ugarte 1 year into a 5 year deal, if we have to give AWB £5m just for his last remaining year? Or have we just poorly negotiating things and PSG won't face that kind of issue as regards Ugarte?

It's all dependent on the exact clauses that would be present in the contract. But it is not so much one sided than law or usage recognizing the difference and imbalance between a company and the individuals working for them.

I don’t think he actually means “blame” as in something being wrong. More that it’s due to complex financial accounting that his sale can be attributed as a profit on this years account, when there is such a negative difference between what we bought him for and what we sold him for. He actually explained it pretty well.

It’s also worth noting that the “loss” on him isn’t as straight forward as being 35m. Amortisation is a non-cash expense item that can be used to reduce taxable income, and reduce the value of an asset over time. In accounting terms we’ve made a 12m profit on him, which is ultimately the only terms that matter.

Also, and pardon me for pointing the obvious, the players do participate in the generation of revenue for the club by providing the on pitch product.
Buying and selling players is just a means to an end. We didn't "lose" 35m£ over his contract on AWB, we paid the fee and his wages so that he could help generate 500-600m£ a year.

Please evaluate basic finance. Wan bissaka came in for 50million and United are selling for 12 -15mill. His value hasn't gone up and the value has depreciated significantly given how much he is leaving for. Giving him credit for cup wins and shutting down fullbacks is nice (even though it is his basic job to do it), I suppose it was also nice of you not to include the numerous matches he cost the team. He should never have joined Manchester united given his technical flaws and now he is dragging out a seemingly easy transfer to Westham.
His five year contract was worth 50m to us, we got the services we paid for him in those years meaning that his cost had ammortised to zero. Ideally had he performed well we would be selling him for much more but it is what it is and we are reportedly making an accounting profit of 12m on him.

It's all dependent on the exact clauses that would be present in the contract. But it is not so much one sided than law or usage recognizing the difference and imbalance between a company and the individuals working for them.

Also, and pardon me for pointing the obvious, the players do participate in the generation of revenue for the club by providing the on pitch product.
Buying and selling players is just a means to an end. We didn't "lose" 35m£ over his contract on AWB, we paid the fee and his wages so that he could help generate 500-600m£ a year.
Exactly and it’s a good point. It brings up something I was going to post but for expediency sake left out, but by the metrics of the post I originally responded to, if we signed a player for 100m when he was 23 and he stayed at the club for ten years, was brilliant, and then retired. We’d have taken a loss of 100m on him plus wages. So back to the point I was making, is that profit/loss on players only comes into view when moving them between clubs and the only measurement that actually has material impact is the accounting figure. Which in this case is a 12m profit.

As said players fail at top clubs all the time. Most are grateful for the opportunity. Ours expect to be paid for the difference in salary. No wonder why we ended were we ended

They all get paid the difference, only with united does it make the news... and people like you are why, it riles you.

Exactly and it’s a good point. It brings up something I was going to post but for expediency sake left out, but by the metrics of the post I originally responded to, if we signed a player for 100m when he was 23 and he stayed at the club for ten years, was brilliant, and then retired. We’d have taken a loss of 100m on him plus wages. So back to the point I was making, is that profit/loss on players only comes into view when moving them between clubs and the only measurement that actually has material impact is the accounting figure. Which in this case is a 12m profit.
Could we say we lost £60m on Rooney and Ferdinand? If a player stays here for over ten years with us paying him 15m per year he would have cost us 250m but been instrumental in generating 6bn or thereabouts.

Transfer season gets way too wrapped in viewing player trading as a discrete activity on its own. We buy players to have a competitive team because elite pro football is an incredibly lucrative business.

Now arguably AWB and his teammates didn't deliver the level of performances that would have been ideal. Missing the CL is an obvious one. I don't know you can quantify it exactly but the club maybe did lose up on revenue with the recent core of players.

Take it the Mazraoui deal will be delayed for a bit longer then as surely it hinges on this one being concluded?

Annoying if it does.

Yeah explains why there wasn't talk of him making a debut on Fri like we have seen with De Ligt

He certainly isn't the first player to go from a big club to a smaller one, but this is the first time I've seen a player go for this delta in wages.

I think it says a lot about the player and his priorities. You can absolutely say it's just a job and we signed a contract, but I'd argue a player should be more worried about playing, especially given the sheer amount we've paid him over the last 5 seasons.

Given it's been 5 years and AWB has not improved in a single area, I feel like it fits a theme.

It's fine, not all professional footballers even like football, but I really hope our scouts go back to focusing on those areas of a player. Fergie was apparently obsessed with that side of the game.

He certainly isn't the first player to go from a big club to a smaller one, but this is the first time I've seen a player go for this delta in wages.

I think it says a lot about the player and his priorities. You can absolutely say it's just a job and we signed a contract, but I'd argue a player should be more worried about playing, especially given the sheer amount we've paid him over the last 5 seasons.

Given it's been 5 years and AWB has not improved in a single area, I feel like it fits a theme.

It's fine, not all professional footballers even like football, but I really hope our scouts go back to focusing on those areas of a player. Fergie was apparently obsessed with that side of the game.

I've never seen Wan Bissaka not give his absolute best on a pitch for us. I've never seen him not be in sensational physical condition, I've never heard of him turning up late for training, cause a single issue.

Unless there is anything properly backing up this view other than "I don't think he's improved" it's incredibly harsh.

Sometimes players are just good lads who really want to make it work but are unfortunately not the right player.

I've never seen Wan Bissaka not give his absolute best on a pitch for us. I've never seen him not be in sensational physical condition, I've never heard of him turning up late for training, cause a single issue.

Unless there is anything properly backing up this view other than "I don't think he's improved" it's incredibly harsh.

Sometimes players are just good lads who really want to make it work but are unfortunately not the right player.

It’s was clear from day one he needed to improve moving forward, particularly with crossing and overlap runs. He never improved either element of his game.

It’s was clear from day one he needed to improve moving forward, particularly with crossing and overlap runs. He never improved either element of his game.

And so that means he was a bad character?

For what it's worth his dribbling in tight spaces actually improved quite a lot.

He’s just holding out on agreed terms, that were signed and delivered by the previous management.

There’s a reason why most clubs keep a wage cap, even some of the top 6 like Liverpool, Spurs. This is a key reason why we have difficulty selling players.

The club should be accountable for it, not the player.

For what it's worth his dribbling in tight spaces actually improved quite a lot.

No, I’m referring back to the other posters comments about not improving. I agree that he hasn’t improved his game. He was always a good tackler. His weaknesses are going forward, crossing and defensive positioning. He didn’t improve on these elements which is why we are now selling, and at a significant loss.

On the money side of things, if he has a contract stating he’s owed a percentage of the transfer of course he will want the money. No one is going to waiver millions they’re entitled too.

When people say this I always think “would YOU give up 5m (or whatever was written your contract)”. The honest answer is no, most people wouldn’t, life is short and the career of a footballer is short.

£5m payoff makes zero sense.

1 year left on contract. Maximum he stands to earn on that contract £4.6m. But in reality a lot less than that due to non CL qualy and lack of appearance fees etc.

If West Ham offered him £60k which is their average player wage, he’d stand to lose £1.5m this season, but with obviously a lot more long term security.
There was a report that he'd be owed a portion of the transfer fee if the club exercised the optional year extension in his contract.

Normally I would call bullshit on that because it sounds so stupid, but it was also reported that we had to pay Getafe a sell-on fee for Greenwood after he was sold to Marseille, apparently negotiated as part of the loan deal last season. Pure lunacy.

As did his crossing which is why he had 4 assists in 2 seperate seasons for us. Dalot's most is 2 and Shaw had 5 once and 4 another time.

And he doesn't make as many tackles as he did in his first season or two, now he makes loads of interceptions and clears the ball out as the main thing he offers the defence.

For any other player that posters didnt already make their mind up on those things would be recognized and appreciated as people complained before that 'hes only diving into sliding tackles because he's out of position and desperate!'

Now he's a player who takes up good positions and wins the ball more than almost any other fullback with positioning and interceptions instead. Nah cant be reality, AWB only makes tackles :rolleyes:

ba60172ef54572f7fec374a6ad0666c6.png

Thing is he did well in his first seasons and if he was still tackling wingers in every one vs one and got 4 league assists a season for us, and had wanted to sign a new contract he'd probably still be here next season.

Change for the wrong people and they wont even see it.

They all get paid the difference, only with united does it make the news... and people like you are why, it riles you.

The media and the fans are the same everywhere. So if it happened elsewhere it would be reported and the same sort of reaction would happen. We follow football enough to know exactly the sort of players ETH had inherited and no what they do and how they act isn't normal

The media and the fans are the same everywhere. So if it happened elsewhere it would be reported and the same sort of reaction would happen. We follow football enough to know exactly the sort of players ETH had inherited and no what they do and how they act isn't normal
Oh look, it’s sorted. You can wind your neck in and stop having a strop now.

As did his crossing which is why he had 4 assists in 2 seperate seasons for us. Dalot's most is 2 and Shaw had 5 once and 4 another time.

And he doesn't make as many tackles as he did in his first season or two, now he makes loads of interceptions and clears the ball out as the main thing he offers the defence.

For any other player that posters didnt already make their mind up on those things would be recognized and appreciated as people complained before that 'hes only diving into sliding tackles because he's out of position and desperate!'

Now he's a player who takes up good positions and wins the ball more than almost any other fullback with positioning and interceptions instead. Nah cant be reality, AWB only makes tackles :rolleyes:

ba60172ef54572f7fec374a6ad0666c6.png

Thing is he did well in his first seasons and if he was still tackling wingers in every one vs one and got 4 league assists a season for us, and had wanted to sign a new contract he'd probably still be here next season.

Change for the wrong people and they wont even see it.
You forget his penchant for bailing us out with goal-line blocks

Best of luck to him , I don't think he was nearly as bad as many on here have made out and I think he will do well at West Ham. If his contract was not winding down I don't think we would have been in such a rush to sell him.

There are games this season we will miss him , especially he one on one defensive skills.

But overall consistency and all round play just not at the level we aspire to be.

Oh look, it’s sorted. You can wind your neck in and stop having a strop now.

One might have left but so many need to follow that path and they'll want their pound of flesh on the way out. Honestly I can't see how any united fans can defend these lot. I love united almost as family but i never hated a united squad as I did last season. Thank god ineos are cleaning the mess up. Every player they kick out brings me as much joy as winning the EPL title.

One might have left but so many need to follow that path and they'll want their pound of flesh on the way out. Honestly I can't see how any united fans can defend these lot. I love united almost as family but i never hated a united squad as I did last season. Thank god ineos are cleaning the mess up. Every player they kick out brings me as much joy as winning the EPL title.
That says a lot about you as a person I’m afraid Dev

I think it’s correct to replace him

But I’m not sure I’d have bothered if that replacement is Mazaroui

That says a lot about you as a person I’m afraid Dev

I believe that playing for united as a privilege and I don't like seeing the badge being disrespected which is exactly what this side did with their constant drama, their half arsed performance and by joining England after being injured since February only to return injured once again. Ask yourself if scholes and co would act like that

And before the money talks comes up, yes I worked for 2 months during COVID for free. I could have asked to be paid but since I afforded it I took the cut.

Teams used to mark every player in a press, but leave him free. It was a very common tactic. They did this because they knew AWB was toothless, and our weakest link in possesion, someone who is unable to hurt the opposition, even if given time and space. It hurt us as a team.

Good defender, but limited. Glad he's been moved on, and we have someone who fits modern football more.

Some harsh comments on AWB regarding his lack of willingness to improve. I think he's improved on the ball and in the attacking areas under ETH. Not enough, but to suggest he hasn't put in the effort is quite unfair.

I see as playing for united as a privilege and I don't like seeing the badge disrespected which is exactly what this side did with their constant drama, their half arsed performance and by joining England after being injured since February only to return injured once again. Ask yourself if scholes and co would act like that

And before the money talks comes up, yes I worked for 2 months during COVID for free. I could have asked to be paid but since I afforded it I took the cut.
I don't even think that's commendable to be honest. I'd never recommend someone to do that, all you're doing is selling yourself short.

I think I'll miss him a bit, very unique player.

I don't even think that's commendable to be honest. I'd never recommend someone to do that, all you're doing is selling yourself short.

I am autistic mate. They closed an eye to my issues and I repaid that with a huge dose of loyalty

Last edited:
A good servant in his time just not quite good enough to make us a top side.

I believe that playing for united as a privilege and I don't like seeing the badge being disrespected which is exactly what this side did with their constant drama, their half arsed performance and by joining England after being injured since February only to return injured once again. Ask yourself if scholes and co would act like that

If its a privilidge why isnt everyone playing for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.