Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager (Sack watch? Nein)

Kompany's CV is eerily similar to Alonso's before he joined us. Take over a club in a lower league, get it promoted and immediately relegated again.

Wasnt this Klopp's CV as well before he took over at Dortmund and led them to the Bundesliga title?

Kompany is obviously a bit of an unknown capacity, just like Alonso was. But I prefer those coaches to the save and riskaverse picks. Better sack three coaches who turn out to be bad and then find an excellent one than settling for mediocrity.
But Kompany played for City. A fact that we should keep in mind when writing on a United forum. ;)

Strange that some have completely written him off. He might well spectacularly flop, but he also might well do a good job.

The point remains the same. He’s not been appointed on his own accomplishments.
Being a world class player in the PL, being intelligent/smart enough to be Pep's captain and getting his team promoted in dominant fashion are his achievements.
Mate, I am not saying that he was Bayern's first choice, or that he is obviously a great coach.
I just think it's ridiculous how he's dismissed by some here as completely inexperienced and hopeless and I think the fact that he was at City plays a big part in that.

Wasnt this Klopp's CV as well before he took over at Dortmund and led them to the Bundesliga title?
It's a bit similar but not as much. It tooks Klopp a few years to get Mainz promoted but also a few seasons to get relegated. He even played internationally with Mainz once. When he joined Dortmund, he was already an established name in German football and highly popular among fans. Plus, very few people knew him as a player since he wasn't very talented

But Kompany played for City. A fact that we should keep in mind when writing on a United forum. ;)
Yeah but Alonso is even worse, he's a fecking scouser !

Which clubs tried to get him? The only confirmed interest I heard of was from Gladbach - the DoF at this point in time as Max Eberl, coincidently the same person who has signed Kompany now.

That aside, Kompany's CV is eerily similar to Alonso's before he joined us. Take over a club in a lower league, get it promoted and immediately relegated again. Only that Kompany did it in Championship and EPL while Alonso in Segunda Division B and Segunda Division, meaning that Kompany's achievements are arguably superior to Alonso's at the same point in time.

Kompany is obviously a bit of an unknown capacity, just like Alonso was. But I prefer those coaches to the save and riskaverse picks. Better sack three coaches who turn out to be bad and then find an excellent one than settling for mediocrity.

In the years Alonso right accept Gladbachs offer, I remember journalists still saying he is highly regarded and therefore was excited when Leverkusen signed Alonso. I wasn't aware that he got relegated with the Sociedad B team but that's very different to playing with a first team where you can control who you sign and might not have to deal with the first team taking players who are doing well.

That being said, again, I would be much more excited for Bayern if they didn't try to sign every other manager before settling on Kompany. That's what doesn't make me believe the hype they are trying to portray with him.

Being a world class player in the PL, being intelligent/smart enough to be Pep's captain and getting his team promoted in dominant fashion are his achievements.
Mate, I am not saying that he was Bayern's first choice, or that he is obviously a great coach.
I just think it's ridiculous how he's dismissed by some here as completely inexperienced and hopeless and I think the fact that he was at City plays a big part in that.
Steve Bruce was captain for Man United, playing under Alex Ferguson. Also got many teams promoted and even managed to keep some of them up. Would he have been appointed without ridicule?

In the years Alonso right accept Gladbachs offer, I remember journalists still saying he is highly regarded and therefore was excited when Leverkusen signed Alonso. I wasn't aware that he got relegated with the Sociedad B team but that's very different to playing with a first team where you can control who you sign and might not have to deal with the first team taking players who are doing well.

That being said, again, I would be much more excited for Bayern if they didn't try to sign every other manager before settling on Kompany. That's what doesn't make me believe the hype they are trying to portray with him.

Alonso was seen very skeptical by many pundits and significant parts of the fan base as well because he lacked experience. Many Leverkusen fans wanted a more established coach after the last 10 or so were largely experiments. The criticism peaked after the 1:5 against Frankfurt shortly after Alonso took over.

It is correct that Kompany wasn't their first choice but the club itself is in huge disarray and even if Eberl thought he was the best solution there was no way he could have pushed him through when more established options were still on the table. I'm not saying he'll be a success since I've barely seen anything of his teams, I'm rather talking about the profile of the signing. Unless a true top coach is available, I like it when DoFs go for unproven options instead of proven mediocrity.

Alonso was seen very skeptical by many pundits and significant parts of the fan base as well because he lacked experience. Many Leverkusen fans wanted a more established coach after the last 10 or so were largely experiments. The criticism peaked after the 1:5 against Frankfurt shortly after Alonso took over.

It is correct that Kompany wasn't their first choice but the club itself is in huge disarray and even if Eberl thought he was the best solution there was no way he could have pushed him through when more established options were still on the table. I'm not saying he'll be a success since I've barely seen anything of his teams, I'm rather talking about the profile of the signing. Unless a true top coach is available, I like it when DoFs go for unproven options instead of proven mediocrity.

I agree that it's nice when an unestablished manager gets a high level job. My skepticism over Kompany has nothing to do with his City past (I mean he played for Hamburg and therefore counts as one of the BL successes we BDL can claim :lol:) but rather his lackluster performances for Burnley and that he was probably Bayern's 8th choice this summer.

Regarding Alonso, I obviously can't speak to the general mood when he was signed but I was excited (for the same reasons you mentioned in the second paragraph) given he rejected Gladbach a couple of years before.

All you said would be valid but then you had to go and call him a 'great' coach. What are the pre-requisites of being a great coach and how many of them are there if you want to quality Kompany as one already?

I agree that it's nice when an unestablished manager gets a high level job. My skepticism over Kompany has nothing to do with his City past (I mean he played for Hamburg and therefore counts as one of the BL successes we BDL can claim :lol:) but rather his lackluster performances for Burnley and that he was probably Bayern's 8th choice this summer.

Regarding Alonso, I obviously can't speak to the general mood when he was signed but I was excited (for the same reasons you mentioned in the second paragraph) given he rejected Gladbach a couple of years before.
I was very excited as well :) And trust me, I'll be very happy if your skepticism turns out to be correct but I would have preferred some of the higher ranking Bayern targets of the summer window. If they e. g. picked Rangnick, I'd be optimistic about defending the league title since I don't believe his pressing and transition oriented style can get as many points as Alonso's control focused one. I'm not so sure now, though, since Kompany in principle belongs to the same school of football as Alonso. But the lackluster performances for burnley you mentioned have me hoping ;)

All you said would be valid but then you had to go and call him a 'great' coach. What are the pre-requisites of being a great coach and how many of them are there if you want to quality Kompany as one already?
Eh? I said that no one is saying that he obviously is a great coach.

At least I was trying to say that… :lol:

That probably explains why he left Burnley and then re-signed after Kompany left!

Wow. And then he proceeded to get them relegated. I can't imagine any of the Bayern lads will take this from him.

Looks like an absolute clown in that clip :lol: Still don't understand what Bayern saw in him to give him one of the biggest jobs in football.

Looks like an absolute clown in that clip :lol: Still don't understand what Bayern saw in him to give him one of the biggest jobs in football.
you see a head that big and you think it must be chocked full of good ideas.

What a clown. He won't last long at Bayern - such a strange appointment.

Luckily he didn't! Have you forgotten the size of Vincent's noggin?
Imagine headbutting someone and getting ktfo.... Opening your eyes to see him rubbing his head and laughing at you :lol:

Can't lie I like Kompany... Hated him when he still played for City though

Imagine headbutting someone and getting ktfo.... Opening your eyes to see him rubbing his head and laughing at you :lol:

Can't lie I like Kompany... Hated him when he still played for City though
:lol: yeah, I have no real reason to dislike him, other than his city links. But even as a player, he seemed "likeable", if that makes sense.

It's not that he's ex-city. He's in the same league as Frank Lampard as coach with identical credentials prior to his Chelsea stint - and you wouldn't expect to see him rock up at any top clubs apart from when he was spoon fed that Chelsea job. It's more to do with the fact his Burnley team were absolutely abject in the premier league, you can say well it's the players, but you couldn't see anything relative to a dominant system based team. No premier league team would or wanted to go near him post Burnley relegation so it's bizarre and somewhat funny to see Bayern rock up at his door - the only reason that makes sense is that Pep managed Bayern, and they're somehow hoping he can replicate that same style because he played for him.

It’s crazy because Gudmundsson is one of the nicest blokes in football and wouldn’t hurt a fly, let alone whine in front of the manager.

On the sidenote Gudmundsson and Bruno Fernandes are good buddies off the pitch.